Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:09   #136
BHPian

Re: Are you driving a fuel guzzler? Share your guzzler's FE numbers here

2012 i10 Kappa 1.2L AT
City : 7-9kmpl
Highway (one where you rarely get out of the overdrive i.e. 4th gear) - 12-14kmpl (at least what I recollect from many many years back) - this gets used in the City for a 10-12km daily commute by the missus.

Who takes the blame for the poor FE? - the Toque converter gearbox(GB) which really saps the power of the 1.2L engine and the GB tuning that holds on to the 2nd gear (but it is pocket rocket between 2nd and 3rd!) longer than needed and then quickly upshifts to 4th (overdrive) only to again drop 2 gears on a slight incline or after slowing down a bit.
A 5spd would have helped over here - but alas this is close to ~10yrs old and a 4spd was the best available at that time. Hence this has been driven <30k km during its lifetime.
No amount of cajoling can increase the efficiency of this car.

2023 XUV7OO AX7L Petrol AT
City: 6-8kmpl
Highway : 8-10kmpl (best I got is 10.5 tank-to-tank over a 400km drive) - this has 1.3k km on the ODO. I will detail more on this in my ownership thread.

Who takes the blame for this FE?- My trigger happy right foot (at times) [but then this engine is so so very creamy and smooth and the acceleration is addictive !!] and Mahindra's aggressive tuning of the GB which holds on to the 2nd gear for a much longer time than needed. This model deserves an ECO mode on the lines of the diesel model for the calm city commutes. I am sure this will return 11-13kmpl if driven at 80kmph but then this is not what this car was built for.

Cheers

Last edited by kedar_GT : 23rd March 2023 at 15:10. Reason: Formatting
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:13   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
The FE that I get in the city is 7-9kmpl and out on the highway, it increases to 10-12kmpl. On an average, the car gives me around 11 from Mumbai to Goa, that too if I am light footed. One time, I had to get back early from Goa and the WagonR ended up giving 9kmpl!!

Now, you might be thinking that I would be a heavy footed guy in general, but when I drove my brother’s Swift ZXI Plus, on the same route, the car achieved 19kmpl!! I am a kind of a driver who prefers comfort over speed, hence, I never cross the speed limits and this might be the reason of such figures on the swift. This was the time, when I thought of checking the FE of my car as well and I was shocked… I tried showing this issue to multiple ASS and once, even went to a FNG but this issue still persists.
No offence brother but the FE you are getting is seriously low considering it’s a WagonR. Heck our Hyundai i10 which is used for grocery runs gives 11-13 kmpl (slow speed driving and full time AC on) while on highway it easily goes till 17-18 kmpl. The car is also driven less just like yours (31k km in 11 years). If I may you should get a couple of things on your car checked clutch plate, V-ribbed belt, tyres, air filter, etc. Trust me despite the low mileage the first two deteriorated on my car due to age and after getting them replaced the FE improved by 1-2 kmpl.
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:19   #138
BHPian

Honda City Petrol AT (2011) - 8-9 in city. ~13 on highways. Mostly short drives in city. Run over 85K kms now.
Mahindra XUV700 Petrol AT (2022) - 6-7 in city. 9-10 on highways. Mostly short drives in city. Inching towards 5K kms now.
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:42   #139
BHPian

The combination of a turbo-petrol engine mated to a DCT/DSG gearbox will always result in terrible city fuel efficiency and my November 2020 i20 Turbo-DCT is no exception.

On my usual LBS Kurla to Hill road Bandra via BKC drive the car usually returns around 8-8.5 kpl. The FE that can be seen in the pic is exclusively for this route since I haven’t driven the car anywhere else since the last tank-up.

Are you driving a fuel guzzler? Share your guzzler's FE numbers here-978052cbb7cf41fc8207a09c5d261980.jpeg

On highway runs my car redeems itself and delivers excellent fuel efficiency. The same is detailed in the official i20 review thread.
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:55   #140
BHPian

I am curious why do turbo petrols deliver lower FE? Theoritically, with turbo engines one should be able to upshift at early RPMs and get better FE.
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:16   #141
BHPian

2020 Mahindra Thar Petrol AT

It's my daily driver. After maybe second refill, I stopped calculating mileage and now the default mid is DTE. Lol.

I wouldn't change a thing about this car. For me, it's the perfect primary car if it doesn't involve much highway runs and one can live with the ride.
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:36   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
Hyundai i10 Sportz AT Petrol - <7kmpl in the city! Now, this is inexcusable for a sub-1 Ton car with a 1.2litre engine. Ours is a 11 year old car that we just keep as a backup, but the hilarious thing is that it costs more to operate than our 2.3 Ton Hexa!
This is particularly true. Have experienced this car multiple times in peak Chennai traffic and have seen 6-8 kmpl. The 4 speed torque converter is convenient but makes the engine to drink lot of fuel. Non-peak hour city drives have seen 10-11 kmpl, but never more. Never been on highway drives so cant comment.
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:40   #143
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully, the fuel guzzlers in my garage are not the daily drivers or the highway workhorses.

My 1.3 Gypsy King returns 8-9 kmpl in city. I've a Tata Venture which gives city figures of 9-10 kmpl with AC running(12-13 on highways). The Thar D AT just about touches double digit FE for city and 12-13 for highways.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd March 2023 at 16:46.
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:01   #144
BHPian

Mum's 2015 Nissan Micra XV CVT - averages 8 kmpl

Fantastic car, planted, well built, comfortable, but that ponderous CVT gearbox is the root of not just driveability issues but it's very thirsty nature. Otherwise a pretty great city runabout.

Few other guzzler's in the family garage but it's mostly down to age

Parent's beloved 2008 Fiat Linea - averages ~8 kmpl
In fairness the rev happy nature of that 1.2 L (iirc) FIRE engine doesn't help matters, especially as it's gotten on in age. I often see threads of well maintained Turbo iterations of the Linea and wish ours had the top end grunt from the Turbo.

For context though it should be pointed out that pretty much all our cars in India are primarily used as city runabouts, with journeys on average not being more than 10 km I'd reckon. That would obviously contribute to some of the poor figures. Plus parents are both spirited drivers and often we have chauffeurs or friends drive our cars and it all contributes to that low number.

Final guzzler, 2003 VW Golf Mk4 - mostly use it on motorway runs where I get ~12 kmpl but if for whatever reason I find myself driving it in the city that plummets to ~7 kmpl
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:20   #145

Stage 1 tuned 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 Diesel.

8Km/Litre in the city and almost 9-10 in highway runs in Normal mode.

With sport mode it drops one KM more.

Regards,
Kiron
Attached Thumbnails
Are you driving a fuel guzzler? Share your guzzler's FE numbers here-whatsapp-image-20230321-11.16.50.jpeg  

Last edited by the_real_slager : 23rd March 2023 at 17:28. Reason: spelling
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:52   #146
BHPian

2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 Petrol AT

FE ~8kmpl in the city, drastic improvement to ~14kmpl on highway runs

I guess when I bought the Elantra I was somewhat prepared about the FE of a 2.0L naturally aspirated motor. However, the car never disappoints me in driving pleasure. Butter smooth auto box with a relatively swift acceleration and good handling is a great combination.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd March 2023 at 19:14. Reason: spacing
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:29   #147
BHPian

I have a Honda Accord 2.4 which was bought new in 2006 and I use the vehicle almost like a daily driver and used to do Trivandrum Kochi drives which is like 200 KMs or more at times. Now I have stopped taking it outside a 70 KM radius because the Tyres need to be changed even though I have barely driven it for 20K Kms since it was changed last but the tyre has expired and might be getting hard. This is basically the vehicle I learnt to drive in India and right from the showroom it has been giving us a FE of like 8 or 9 maximum and now its like 7 or 6 KMPL if I floor it. I need to get the spark plugs and Air Filter replaced next month as they are due for replacement but again sourcing parts is becoming something of a lengthy process.

Next Up, there is the Jaguar XF Diesel 2.2 Aerosport Edition (2015) Which used to give 10KMPL on the highway when new and 8 to 9 KMPL in the city when it was new but now after a few years the mileage has dropped somewhat with 9KMPL being the highway mileage and 8KMPL being the City mileage. Whenever it is floored the efficiency doesnt drastically decrease I have noticed unlike the Accord which will make you notice the fact that its guzzling fuel.

There is a Maruti Baleno 1.6 from 2006 which used to give 13KMPL on the highway when new but now over the years I am getting mileage of under 9KMPL overall . But I have noticed that If I drive it like a true blue Maruti by changing to 5th gear at 40KMPH I can still get the mileage above 10 but still I thought I can list it here. God Speed
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:54   #148
BHPian

I need to reset the benchmark of a ''fuel guzzler'' in this thread:

1. C63s W205 in SA
a. Traffic - No clue and I don't want to find out.
b. City driving without traffic - 4.0 to 6.2 kmpl
c. Highway - 8.0 to 9.5 Kmpl

2. S450 in Delhi
a. Traffic - 5.5 to 6.5 kmpl
b. City driving - 6.0 to 7 kmpl
c. Highway - Around 11.0 kmpl

3. TT (MK3)
a. Traffic - Around 6.5 kmpl
b. City driving - 7.0 to 8.0 kmpl
c. Highway - 10ish kmpl

The rest of the stable consists of some normal or highly fuel efficiency cars.

Let's take it from here people
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:56   #149

The Honda city 2003(1.5) gives me around 8.5/ltr. It has done around 78k (75k by previous owner) and has few suspension issues. Spoke to couple of owners and they said 8km/ltr is decent for the 2003 city. Can go up by 1-2km/ltr if the car is in best shape.

So far, its been okay for me as it barely clocks 200km in a month. I stay in Bangalore where i drive an2018 Alto which gives me around 18km/ltr. I chose to drive this in Bangalore because my daily commute is around 65-70kms.

Another guzzler my family had was a Daewoo Cielo. It would run for around 7kms in a single litre of petrol. That baby was a lovely car but heavy on maintenance.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd March 2023 at 19:15. Reason: spacing
Old 23rd March 2023, 19:20   #150
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI (Stage 2)

Mild traffic w/o AC, I manage to get 9-10 kmpl on a good day.

Heavy foot/heavy traffic and I can expect anywhere between 5-7 kmpl.

Light driving on the highway (80 km/h in 6th gear) will result in 17-18 kmpl. But I usually land up with figures around 12 kmpl after any highway drive.

With the AC on, I can expect these numbers to drop significantly.

Thankfully, my city commute is usually pleasant thanks to decent roads and a nice green canopy, hence no air conditioning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks