Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 13:55   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Are you driving a fuel guzzler? Share your guzzler's FE numbers here

Jeep Meridian 4x4 Automatic diesel

Certified guzzler in my books.

# Heavy city traffic I generally average 5.5 - 7.0 kmpl.
# Highway driving ranges around 10.5 - 13 kmpl (which is not great by highway standards).

My 3GT, which is remapped to 225 bhp is far more fuel efficient in comparison, both in city and highway conditions. The obvious cost issue is not my biggest gripe with this given I'm not a super high mileage user. My primary peeve with such guzzlers is the annoyance of increased refuelling frequency. Annoying whether you're doing long drives or just using it in the city, either way.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th March 2023 at 06:49. Reason: Edited mileage marginally
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:03   #47
BHPian

Missus wanted a new vehicle, not a sedan, not a behemoth, not an Asian or Indian brand, not a newly launched one and the list of nots went on

By the criteria of elimination, we landed with Jeep Compass. It was clear that I needed an automatic with my left ankle getting retarded due to repeat injuries and the onset of osteoarthritis. Missus also said the last vehicle was a diesel, this one has to be petrol. Since she was funding the purchase, what could I do but go ahead with her desires?

Jeep Compass Petrol AT

City driving with AC on - 7km per litre.
Highway driving with AC on - 12km per litre

From the time we purchased the vehicle, i was comparing it to the Beast - Safari Strome VX 2X4. The beast fared much better

City driving with AC on - 10 - 11km per litre
Highway driving with AC on - 14 - 15Km per litre

Looks like the auto transmission is not as intelligent as the driver
subraiyr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:06   #48

My wife drives an A-Star Automatic. Its such a lovely little car. For a Maruti it feels very well built. In the last 10 years of use it has done 80k kms.

But proud to report that the car consumed the lion's share of the fuel bill of the household.

The A-Star has a 1.0 Liter K-Series engine mated to a 4 Speed Aisin sourced Torque Converter Transmission. The engine is free revving but not very torquey.

The transmission saps away copious amounts of already scarce torque from the tiny engine. Resulting in shocking fuel economy. Believe it or not it hardly ever gets into two digits. The car is predominantly driven for office commute of 25 kms per day.

Considering buying an EV Tiago. Which would save us 10K in fuel expense every month.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd March 2023 at 09:34. Reason: Typos
dieselroxx is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:17   #49
BHPian

My Honda City V AT returns a mileage of 7-8 kmpl when I take her to office and back. Bulk of my driving is in morning and evening bumper to bumper traffic from New BEL Road to MG Road, where office is and back. On the highways however, she gives 15 kmpl. No complaints there.

Cheers!
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:45   #50
BHPian

My 2017 Isuzu VCross Mapped to Stage 1 with 168 BHP and 390Nm.

I usually drive with my AC on 50% of the times.

In Pune: 8-8.5 Kmpl
Highway - 12-13 Kmpl with a very conservative right foot
In Chandigarh - 10.5-11 Kmpl (same Driving style as Pune)

My driving style is either full ECO mode or who cares about fuel efficiency mode, there is no in-between. The car is extremely tail happy, soon might have to add tyre costs to fuel costs.
damanbir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:51   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is just full of everyone showing off their various turbo petrols, and turbo diesels; yet I am making an entry with something completely off beat : 2017 Corolla Altis CVT.

City fuel economy in Mumbai traffic varies between 7-9kmpl tankful to tankful, though there are some times I have seen it go even further south depending on where the car was used.
In my opinion, the main blame lies with the CVT gearbox in the city, as on the highway I have seen it cross 15kmpl with a mix of expressway, ghats, and city traffic on a full load of passengers.
lamborghini is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:05   #52
BHPian

Our 13+ year old Chevrolet Beat Petrol MT is a certified gas guzzler when it comes to small cars, in my eyes. It is a beater (get it? Chevy Beat.. nevermind sorry ) and is mostly driven in the city and barely ever goes over 100 kmph. Car is mechanically sound and serviced when needed.

My observations:
7-9 kmpl in the city with AC and a light foot
10-11 kmpl in the city without AC and a light foot
12-14 kmpl on highways with AC and a light foot with a cruising speed set between 70-90 kmph

All figures depend on the number of passengers sitting inside.
TaurusSHO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:05   #53
BHPian

Cruze 2010 - LTZ AT - 2.0 Turbo Diesel

City - 8-8.5 kmpl (doesn't matter how I drive)
Highway - 10-12 kmpl
Ad1tya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:29   #54
BHPian

Tata Tiago JTP - 2019 -1.2L turbo

City -9 - 10Kmpl

Highway - 15Kmpl
kesh4munni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

I have stopped checking for want of peace of mind. But last I checked, my Fiesta 1.6S give about 8-9 kmpl in City traffic. Used to give about 14 kmpl on the highways at speeds of around 100. Decent figures considering the fun it delivers and since my running isn't too high I stopped being bothered by these figures.
aravind.anand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:38   #56
BHPian

We have a small hatchback-Hyundai grand i10 Automatic which gives 9-10 kmpl city figures-Thanks to 1200 cc & 4-speed Torque converter combo. Highway figures are more decent -12-14 kmpl.

On the other hand, my second car is a 2800cc 7 seater Crysta with a 6-speed torque convertor. City figures are between 11-12 & highways 13-16. The average so far is around 13 kmpl.
Old 21st March 2023, 17:45   #57
BHPian

It is the Thar 4x4 P AT for me. It is my daily drive in city I do not get more than 6.5-7 Kmpl. Highways is usually <10. But here is the thing, during off roading it has even shown 3 Kmpl !! Addtional fuel for those remote overlanding trips is a must!

But what the heck you live only once!
smekad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass 2022 Diesel AT 4x4, bought 6 months ago, have clocked 5k kms so far. In peak Bangalore traffic ( which is everyday for me), i dont get more than 8kmpl. I did some highway runs, and because i was probably pushing the car a bit, i had ended up with an average of 11kmpl.

I had initially planned to buy the Petrol Compass DCT, owing to my not so high running. But the reports of extremely low efficiency was a huge scare! Even the test drive car was not showing more than 5-6kmpl. There is no way I can live with such numbers in Bangalore traffic! So ended up paying a huge premium for the Diesel AT ( which is 4x4 by default), but the fuel efficiency is at least consistent, even though quite poor by diesel standards.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

I used to drive a guzzler. 2010 Corolla 4 speed AT. It started at 9-10 kpl in city and went as low as 4-5 kpl in city and 8 kpl on highways.

Needless to say, the car was sold and have been driving diesels ever since.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 18:04   #60
BHPian

I own couple of Fuel Guzzlers...never really made that a factor while purchasing cars as for me driving pleasure takes the priority!

Audi RS7: 2-3 Kmpl under hard acceleration. 4-5 kmpl under normal driving. 6-7 kmpl under relaxed driving.

Ford Endeavour 3.2 4x4: 7-8 kmpl in city driving with normal driving dynamics.

Mini Cooper S Conv: 8-9 Kmpl under normal driving and 6-7 kmpl under hard acceleration.

Well now it hurts as I summarise FE of my cars!
ashish22 is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks