Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 10:37   #106
BHPian

Re: Are you driving a fuel guzzler? Share your guzzler's FE numbers here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Can the owners also mention the average distance covered over which they get such FE nos? BTW at todays prices these nos can make a Maruti owner faint . Typically short distance driving leads to low FE even for smaller engined cars. My oldie car 800 used to deliver 10-11 when I used to drive her for a mere 4 km (2 km 1 way) in the late 90's.
Buddy, if you think that Maruti owners are enjoying high fuel efficiency figures, then let me tell you, that you are right. Its just that there are a few exceptions like my car. My dad owns a 2012 MS WagonR 1.0 manual which has run just 33000kms in 11 years! The FE that I get in the city is 7-9kmpl and out on the highway, it increases to 10-12kmpl. On an average, the car gives me around 11 from Mumbai to Goa, that too if I am light footed. One time, I had to get back early from Goa and the WagonR ended up giving 9kmpl!!

Now, you might be thinking that I would be a heavy footed guy in general, but when I drove my brother’s Swift ZXI Plus, on the same route, the car achieved 19kmpl!! I am a kind of a driver who prefers comfort over speed, hence, I never cross the speed limits and this might be the reason of such figures on the swift. This was the time, when I thought of checking the FE of my car as well and I was shocked… I tried showing this issue to multiple ASS and once, even went to a FNG but this issue still persists. Now, I have made peace with it and think that my dad (who’s a non car guy and hates driving) bought a lemon. Till last year, the car had just 20k kms on the ODO and due to such low running, my dad never cared about fuel expenses. Its just that after I started reading about outstation trip reports on the forum, we started to do long trips and realised what piece of maruti were we having. I would have accepted such kind of FE if we had a comfortable car like a Vento or Innova. But this car is neither comfortable, nor fuel efficient. Anyhow, we’ve decided that we are not going to sell this car as in few months, I’d leaving for my studies and the car would be sitting at home. After returning home, I’d still drive her till she becomes 15 and scrap her for something new (thanks to GTO’s thread on why its better to keep your car for longer duration). This is our family’s first car, so the emotional side of heart is also keeping us from replacing it.

I still think, I should’ve not driven my brother’s car. Else I would have not gone crazy enough to calculate my car’s FE number. NEVER did I ever think that a Maruti Suzuki car would exist on this thread (exception here is the OG Grand Vitara).
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 10:41   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Here are the figures from my apron:

Honda Brio AT:
City: 8-10 kmpl
Highway: 12-13 kmpl

Given that the A319 (codename for the little Brio) is generally used for short runs of under 30 min, especially in denser traffic, this can be considered a mild-guzzler. No complaints whatsoever

Similar situation here. Again, no complaints because we love to drive brio in the city.

Our other car Tata Harrier- Automatic actually provides >10-11 even in city traffic and the max I got on a highway was 21kmpl (500km run. Between 80-110 all throughout).
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 10:51   #108
BHPian

While I have two guzzlers, I am surprised to highlight that my Polo 1.0 GT TSI (with a Stage 1+ remap) drinks more in the city than my Laura 1.8 TSI (Stage 2 remap) all thanks to Bangalore's horrendous traffic and infrastructure.
  1. Polo returns a dreadful 6-7 kmpl during peak traffic in CBD areas, but on the flip side is better than Laura on highways returning >15kmpl. The creep on this TC is pretty bad for fuel consumption but is equally satisfying when you floor the A pedal on open stretches
  2. Laura hovers around 7-9 kmpl in city usage (it could be marginally higher in recent times owing to the recent clutch replacement) and ~12-14 kmpl on highway duties

My 2012 Jazz (with > 1 lakh on the odo) is leagues ahead of the afore-mentioned. It's numbers merit attention in other thread which GTO has already highlighted
anuragbagur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 10:59   #109

My Garage - with the numbers :

1. 2022 VW Tiguan : ~7-8 KMPL in the city and ~10-11 KMPL on highway drives (on avg.)

reasons? : Bangalore traffic, me having disabled the terribly implemented auto start stop system, the 2 L petrol engine itself and me making very little attempt to squeeze out another 0.5 kmpl by dramatically improving my driving style.

2. 2023 BMW 530i : ~6-7 kmpl in the city - no highway drives yet but I don't expect miracles.

reasons? : Bangalore traffic, heavy left foot and I think the car is still breaking in - Its only done ~1000 kms yet and i expect the mileage may improve 10-20 % over the next few kms.

I am planning to install sun film in the BMW and windscreen film in the Tiguan (windows are already filmed to the highest visibility possible) to help improve fuel efficiency , maybe that helps?
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:05   #110
BHPian

Well...all my cars are currently below 10 KMPL. The Sunny diesel was the most efficient car we ever had but sold that (do miss her though). The fuel guzzling efficiency of my current vehicles:

1. Mercedes C220 CDI (2010 W204 Pre face lift): 8 kmpl
2. Jeep Compass Petrol Automatic (2007):7 kmpl
3. Tata Tigor AMT (2021): 9 kmpl

I was thoroughly surprised by the low mileage of the C220. Kept thinking its not too powerful and hence should get good mileage. My low running within city could be the issue as the highway runs mileage are much better.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:18   #111
rGT
BHPian

Our 2019 Hyundai Creta 1.6 Petrol AT. A tried and tested gas guzzler.

Average FE in city: 8-10 kmpl
Average FE on highways: varies between 11-15 kmpl, depending on the type of roads.

The worst figure we've seen is around 6 kmpl, and the best is around 16 kmpl.
Attached Thumbnails
Are you driving a fuel guzzler? Share your guzzler's FE numbers here-img_20220101_083308.jpg  

rGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:24   #112
BHPian

I don't drive any fuel guzzler now, but this is a great thread idea, I got all my answers in single place from the horse's mouth, thank you !!

I am shocked to see economy of small Maruti petrol cars with 6-7kmpl whereas huge powerful SUVs like XUV7OO, Compass, Mini Coopers, BMWs etc give almost same or even more. This has helped me immensely to decide my next city and highway cars. No point in buying Marutis for city drive for economy benefits anymore, I can open up for other brands as well. Bit surprised to see Compass 4x4 Diesel AT featuring here, could be exceptional.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:33   #113
BHPian

My Yaris CVT gives anywhere between 5 to 9kmpl in heavy traffic. The roads around my area are narrow and commute of 6 or 7 kms take about 30 minutes on an average and up to 45 minutes in peak hours.

On relatively low traffic days Or times it touches around 9.9. Rarely beyond 10kmpl. To give an idea, my Ameo TDi DSG would return between 9 to 11kmpl in the aforesaid conditions.

It's a different car when the roads are clear though. Late night drives within the City return around 12 to 14kmpland up to 16kmpl on longer stretches; highway drives yielding a steady 14.8 to 16.8 kmpl based on load and traffic, and of course speeds.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 23rd March 2023 at 11:42. Reason: Added Ameo figures for comparison
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:37   #114
BHPian

My 2015 Mercedes GL 350 gives me about 6.5-7 kmpl on diesel in Delhi NCR traffic.

On highways, can go upto 11 kmpl depending upon the traffic and law enforcement.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:41   #115
BHPian

I have two guzzlers and one rather fuel efficient Maruti Swift ZXi that balances the scales.

Guzzler 1: 2022 Skoda Superb L&K
The 2.0 TSi returns poor figures in Mumbai traffic (around 7 to 8kpl). But highway figures are surprisingly good, easily crossing 15kpl especially when using cruise control over long stretches.

Guzzler 2: 2023 Mahindra Thar P AT 4x4
Returns around 7 to 8kpl in Mumbai traffic after driving sedately! On the highway we're looking at 12.5 to 13.5 kpl if driven around 90kph with cruise control. Any form of pedal-to-metal driving can easily bring down these numbers. Among all the cars that i've owned, this is the first one that has given me some form of range anxiety!

However, I do feel a lot more comforted after going through this thread. Seeing how smaller-engined cars have identical fuel consumption figures as my 2.0 turbo twins!

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 23rd March 2023 at 11:47.
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:43   #116

I drive a VW Tiguan Petrol. Within city it gives an average mileage of around 7km/L. On highways, it gives around 15km/L on an average.
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:51   #117

Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG 2017

~8 in heavy traffic in the city
~12 during Airport runs
~14 when driven sedately in the highways
~12 with a large grin on my face on Highways

Laura 1.8 TSI MT 2012

Similar as above
Ramukaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:53   #118

I bought a used Baleno (2005) in 2014 with around 90K ODO. Drove the car for 4 years and that was a Fuel Guzzler. With only 6-7 kmpl in city and 12 kmpl on highways.
Now i have a Thar Petrol AT as my fuel guzzler. Gives me around 7 kmpl in city and 9 kmpl on highways.
khalidkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 12:18   #119
BHPian

I have Octavia 2.0 2022 model and it totally depends how smart you drive the car. Octi hates bumper to bumper and will guzzle however the moment it gets a free stretch, mileage improves. However, for best results the sweet spot is between 60-70 km/h

In Delhi NCR, with AC
Case 1. peak traffic: 7-8 km/l
Case 2: normal traffic: 10-11 km/l
Case 3: Lean traffic with speed maintained between 60-70 km/h: I have achieved up to 15.2 km/l
Case 4: As per BHPians, it can go till 19km/l but I'm waiting for my opportunity to test it out
Old 23rd March 2023, 12:31   #120
BHPian

Accord 3.0 litre V6 Petrol (2007 model) - 4 kmpl in city. About 8-10 on highways.
And I drive it with a very light foot, use cruise most of the time on highways!

While this is understandable - large engine, inefficient TC automatic, etc., why do a lot of small cars with engines less than half the size give such measly mileages of 6-8? Can anyone enlighten us.

Last edited by aashishnb : 23rd March 2023 at 12:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks