Team-BHP - Ouch!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ouch! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2638-ouch.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]A new Palio costs Rs 5.62 lakh but a six-month-old Palio doesn’t garner even Rs 2 lakh.

More here.

Tell me this isn't true.

These press people are only good at politics and underworld news. If they can price the Enzo at 1.5 crores and detune it to 62 bhp, then I am not surprised that a 6 month old Palio can cost less than 2 lakhs.

resale value is slowly improving in hyd, a good 2nd palio d costs atleast 4l in hyd, as against 3l in hyd 6 months back

I can only say you should visit 2nd hand car dealers like automart to have an idea. 6 months old Palio D costs 4 L while Palio NV is not available. Old Palio ( Not NV) , 1 year old cost about 2.5 L.

Well, The Fiat Palio does have horrible resale values...theres no denying that. In fact, I did a study on the total ownership costs of a Palio and it turned out to be the most expensive B Segment car. Forget other cars in the same segment, it proved to be more expensive to own than even the Hyundai Accent. Variables included were depreciation costs, interest, maintenance etc. etc.

Think about it, not too many people want to buy a new Palio. Not too many will want a used one either.

Great car though

GTO

GTO,

I have talked to few dealers and I can confirm that this car is in great demand in 2nd hand market. In fact you will hardly find Palio D or NV in Delhi with them. Yes, if you take into account the inital depreciation, the cost seems high, but once you get it 2nd hand, that mental block is not there any more and it suddenly becomes VFM proposition. There are lots and lots of people who want to buy this car ( it's so desirable, especially the F-1 Red color) but since most of them belong to "Average Kya hai ? " category, resale value also remains high on their buying manual. Sooner or later, this situation will correct and Palio will command better prices.

depriciation.. is an income... u buy a costlier car.... u get more tax.. saving.

and u don't normally buy a car for resale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]depriciation.. is an income... u buy a costlier car.... u get more tax.. saving.

Depreciation is a reduction in the value of an asset...owing to wear and tear among other reasons. Global accounting standards including the American G.A.A.P. (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) list *Depreciation as an expense on the income statement and the balance sheet There really is no point in arguing this any further. The world accepts Depreciation as an expense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]and u don't normally buy a car for resale.

Well, you do have to sell the car one day! And most buyers usually sell the car within the first 3 to 5 years. Ask any Peugeot/Daewoo owner and he will tell you how resale has hit him...even after 7 years of ownership. Example? My 1996 Esteem VX with 1 lac kms onboard has got offers of 1.15 lacs when I put it up for sale recently. A neighbours Peugeot 309 of the same vintage and with 70000 kms on board will be lucky to pull in even Rs. 65000. Thats if he finds any buyers at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Yes, if you take into account the inital depreciation, the cost seems high, but once you get it 2nd hand, that mental block is not there any more and it suddenly becomes VFM proposition.

So basically you are saying that the new Palio buyer takes a big hit, while the one who buys a used Palio is getting it for a bargain. Exactly my point. Its the cost of ownership to the new car buyer that I have calculated. Like in the case of the Ford Mondeo. Sparingly used pieces are available in the region of 7 odd lacs. The chap who bought it new for 17 lacs lost apprx. 10 lacs within a short while...while the second owner gets a car that is almost as good as new for about 40% of the original acquisition price.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ June 23 2004,00:26)]The chap who bought it new for 17 lacs lost apprx. 10 lacs within a short while...while the second owner gets a car that is almost as good as new for about *40% of the original acquisition price.

Thats why people in the UK wonder why Mercs/BMW are cheaper to run in the long term - their resale value offsets high running costs. However there is a lot of jiggery -pokery that goes on in manipulating supply and demand to ensure proper resae values. Best strategy is buy at two years, sell at five

Well autocar india, a few issues back reproted that palio's are proving to be shining stars in the second hand market. The 1.6 is the vfm one costing more than the santro's and zen's which is understandable according to me as it has a bigger and more technologically advanced engine but in the prices printed by autocar, the 1.2 was avaliable for about 20,000 less than santro/zen which is damn good according to me.
just dont' believe everything u read!

I agree with whoever says that Palio takes a hit in the second hand market ! But for me that worked in my favor, I got a 1.6 fully loaded with brand new tubeless tyres, accident free, giving an average of 9.5 (city/ac) though just for the first day -- coz after that my heavy foot took over and I'm not even wanting 2 calculate now !! All this for 2.2, forgot 2 mention extended warranty, insurance,etc ... the only thiong was the color( white), i looked for black/red but just didnt find one ! Now this car will stay with me for the next 5-7 yrs and I know its gonna b gud enuff then 2 !!
So anyone who says that palio takes a beating, listen to him and run to the nearest second hand car dealer in ur area, u just mite get a gud piece !!!

Its surely a deal....many congrats ! i think you got from safdurjung enclave, delhi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] I got a 1.6 fully loaded with brand new tubeless tyres, accident free

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] All this for 2.2, forgot 2 mention extended warranty, insurance,etc ..

Thats not just a good deal, its blatant highway robbery! For 2.2? Thats cheaper than a brand new 800 non-ac. And with your free-flow, things can only get better.

Congrats on the deal Khaadu.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Tarun @ June 30 2004,16:27)]Its surely a deal....many congrats ! i think you got from safdurjung enclave, delhi. *

U rite Tarun, safdarjang is where I commited this highway robbery !!! It was just a co-incidence that I had been looking for a 1.6 palio since the last 3 months and I didnt manage finding anything gud, and then by chance this guy advertised and he turned out to be related to me .... !! He is married to my cousin and they leaving for UK in august so I just bought it at the price he asked ... I cud have gotten him down another 15K but I know he has kept his car very clean so I just said yes ....

Where u from ... lets meet up sumtime if u from delhi !!

ha ha...! so u still thnk u paid 15ks more... I actually saw this ad at xbhp.com with all details tht you've
mentioned. The guy who posted was asking around 2.5...it was a deal even at that price. Tempted i was
however I daily commute around 60-70kms so was just bit defensive for this machine on account of FE.
Now I am thinking of acquiring a used honda city 1.3 / 1.5 or new indigo... but before that will look for
suggestions and inputs from fellow users here and just in case a deal like yours......listening mates ?

i put up at Paschim vihar, but will work out later for a meet ......dont mind just loaded with work these
days .... but hey keep posting abt driving thrills and comments.with ur machine

Cheers