Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Mahindra XUV300 today?
Yes 99 49.01%
No 103 50.99%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 07:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300

XUV300 was the car that turned the tide for Mahindra in recent times, as it was followed by the Thar, the XUV700 and the Scorpio-N. It was their first C1 segment SUV with a monocoque construction. You had two engine options on offer – a 110 BHP, 1.2-liter turbo-petrol and a 115 BHP, 1.5-litre diesel. It was offered with manual transmissions to start with and AMT automatics were introduced sometime later. Sad that it never got a proper automatic gearbox.

Given the high price of the XUV300, it sells half as much as its competitors. Still, given the premium pricing, it is a successful model for Mahindra. Over the last 6 months, the monthly sales average has been 5,000 / month. So, if you are in the used car market, you'll find a decent number of XUV300s on sale. The asking price for most examples is also pretty reasonable. But would you buy one today?

Used Mahindra XUV300 Pros

• Still feels very competent, even with newer competition in the market
• Used examples are reasonably priced, for the kind of car you get
• A truly premium crossover. Nice build, quality & refinement levels
• Cabin has enough space for 5. Quality-wise, the interior is more like a Hyundai
• Fantastic engines. The petrol & diesel, both, offer fast performance & good driveability
• AMTs are convenient with hill start assist, drive & reverse lockout, creep disable on door open...
• Mature ride & handling package. Enjoyable high-speed behavior
• 5-star GNCAP rating & kit. 6 airbags, ESP, ABS, all-wheel disc brakes, TPMS, seatbelt reminders for all & more
• Loaded to the gills with equipment (front parking sensors, sunroof, cruise control, auto headlamps & wipers, etc)

Used Mahindra XUV300 Cons

• No proper automatic gearbox. AMT sucks
• Boring interior design feels old by current standards
• 257-liter boot is the smallest in the segment. There are cheaper hatchbacks that have a larger boot
• Very few middle variants in the used market. You'll mostly find top-end W8s or base W4 variants
• With time, Mahindra has deleted some features. Related News - 1, 2 & 3
• Sad audio system by current standards. The bass, especially, is poor
• Some important features missing (parcel tray, rear air-con, steering reach adjustment, etc)
• Mahindra's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble

Related Threads

• Official Review

• 2021 1.2L Petrol Automatic (AMT) Review

• krishnakumar's Diesel MT W8 (O)

• Vijin's Diesel AMT W8

• Duckdoc's Diesel MT W8 (O) - 10,000 km report, 20,000 km update, and 30,000 km update

• PetroHeado's Petrol MT W8

• spr1ngleo's 2019 Diesel W8 (O)

• alchex7's Diesel AMT (Fed up of the AMT | Keep or sell my 6-month old Mahindra XUV300 AMT?)

• naadopaasaka's XUV300 TurboSport

Things to watch out for in a used Mahindra XUV300

• Suspension issue recall

• Recall over clutch & AC issues

• Mahindra XUV 300 W6 AMT: 2 breakdowns in less than 6 months

• Repeated camera failures in the Mahindra XUV300

Mod Potential

Limited. However, the XUV300’s stock figures are impressive and there’s a good amount of performance available on tap. Also with the kind of balance the chassis has, you won't really feel the need for modifications. Haven’t come across a lot of highly tuned XUV300s. There are a few ECU remaps available in the market for the diesel engine from companies like Dieseltronic and Quantum tuning. Do note that with a limited number of Mahindras getting tuned, there’s not much data for the tuners to rely on.

One notable modification that we did come across was from BHPian Goandiaries who converted the rear seat lap-belt to a safer 3-point seatbelt.

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300-usedxuv300-3.png

Availability

Good, but not great. There is a fair number of cars on sale, and quite a few AMTs as well. We saw more diesel XUV300s than petrol cars in Mumbai. Check out some examples on sale here.

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300-usedxuv300-51.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300-usedxuv300-41.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300-usedxuv300-6.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300-usedxuv300-2.png

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300-usedxuv300-1.png

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd March 2023 at 07:52.
Omkar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 07:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 09:15   #3
BHPian

It's a worthy buy, but my main issue would be the boot space and the rear look. The xuv 400 is more finished because the rear is not cut for 4 meters.

But I would gladly consider this as a second car to go around which would negate the boot space requirement since it has good interior space and a nice diesel.

The diesel one would be my pick.
chinmaypillay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 09:30   #4
BHPian

Last year I did consider a used XUV300 briefly, but the idea was dropped quickly due to the boot space. The boot space is one of the worst I have seen in recent times for CSUV.

Other than that, it make a compelling case for a used car

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 09:41   #5
BHPian

When I was in the market for my daily commute car , my primary criteria was petrol automatic. I had shortlisted XUV300 , but AMT gearbox on 15.5 lacs OTR vehicle did not seem right to me.

Granted car looked really good in person and i did not find head bobbing jerkiness of AMT in my test drive, I still decided to steer away.

I must concede that ride was comfortable and planted.

IMO, XUV300 AMT makes sense if you are primarily driving on highways / outskirts of the city. Manual variants are very capable vehicles in their Turbosport avatar launched late last year , if you are looking for affordable fun machine.
Old 24th March 2023, 10:25   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I would definitely consider the XUV300 in the used market because of its premium nature, powerful engines & sorted suspension. I consider it to be a superior crossover even to many of the newer launches like the Brezza.

I'd buy the XUV300 only if I was looking for an MT car though. Main deal breaker = no proper AT. AMTs suck & are best for cheap hatchbacks only; they have no place being offered in an expensive crossover like the XUV300.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 10:43   #7

I just got myself a w6 diesel! Loving it, be it the torquey diesel engine on the highway or the
moolah im saving by getting 19kmpl in the city. Plus there’s the five star safety rating! I for one have very less use of the boot so it was not something i cared about, but if you have a look at the mechanical aspect of the car its better than the korean twins creta and seltos and a few others too!
T-REX84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 10:44   #8
BHPian

Good pick.
I don't have much experience with used cars, but I do have an anecdote to share on the topic.

When I was eyeing a new car back in 2021, I hadn't even considered getting a diesel car. I was looking out for petrol only, because I wanted refinement (Especially coming from a Honda Jazz).

Then I went out for a test drive, and just for the heck of it asked the showroom guy to give me the diesel 300. And the rest is history.

The car knocked my socks off with its effortless pull, extremely stable composure, and the engine refinement. And to my surprise, it was a test car with over 40,000km on the clock. Showroom test cars are among the most abused cars ever. And if such a car could stay so charming with even 40,000km on the odo, it was more than good enough for me.

If my car ages that well, I would be happy.

As for boot space, Yes. It is lower than the segment average. However I have done 2 separate long distance trips in mine, with 4 people on board, and 4 people worth of luggage. It takes some planning, but can be manageable.
ashishk29 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 11:02   #9

I had a chance to drive W8 Diesel MT extensively for 2 weeks when my company leased Dzire AMT broke down, the XUV 300 was a replacement vehicle given to me.

The moment I sat inside I was amazed by the premium interior and sturdy feel as I closed the door everything inside seamed durable as my previous Ecosport TDCI.

I drove it in Mumbai city for a week with heavy traffic and I felt the diesel clutch was just fine compared to my previous Ecosport TDCI's heavy clutch, also did a small work trip to Silvassa the diesel and MT combo is a rocket in 3rd gear with immense torque and push in the seat type of turbo kick, This I would have felt as I was driving the boring Dzire AMT.

I personally felt this was a lot quicker then my XUV 500 W10AT.

Based on this experience I influenced my colleague to buy a XUV300 Diesel MT he got the delivery last week

That's Bademiya and Chotemiya.

.Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Mahindra XUV300-20221201_160659.jpg
Moto_Guzzi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:03   #10
BHPian

After 4 years and 60k kms, my diesel XUV300 still runs the way it did when brand new.
NVH and BSR is top notch and the mechanicals retain their prime performance even today!
I have done 21-hour, 1400km non-stop stretches without much fatigue or any numbness.

While there have been issues that have been sorted at the service center, the vehicle has never thrown any hiccups on the road during my trips.

All in all, it is a very capable and reliable car and is a breeze to drive even today!

The best bits about it are the engine and drivetrain performance, build quality, low NVH and cabin noise, driving dynamics for a CSUV, decent interior space and leg room, and lots of small storage spaces to store knick-nacks
I see the recalls from Mahindra to fix initial design flaws retrospectively as a big positive, something which most other manufacturers just ignore.

What puts you off are the usual bits: abysmal boot space, lack of a proper automatic, feature deletions , and lack of interest from Mahindra to upgrade the sub-par sound system and headlights for an otherwise premium car.

If I were to buy one today, I would hesitate to do so as my requirements have changed to an automatic now.
anantpoddar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Voted No. It's mainly got to do with styling be it interior or exterior. I find the front too overdone, while at the rear it looks like a hatchback. Interiors seemed old when it was launched, and now it feels even older. The laughably small boot is another big downer for me.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:10   #12
BHPian

I had the opportunity of taking this on a long drive between Chennai and Trichy and back. The handling was superb. We were going between a 100 to 120 range and the pickup and effortless overtaking was great. Great brakes too. Didn't have time to experiment, but the smaller boot space is a compromise that one has to make.
Bsimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 16:36   #13
BHPian

I voted no as even though the xuv300 is a good option, I would by a used honda city for that budget as it has better space, engine, space, relaibility etc. Especially in AT, the city is a better buy in my opinion.
Old 24th March 2023, 19:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted no, mainly due to absence of proper Diesel AT and the high list prices of used examples, especially in Tamil Nadu. 2019 XUVs with low mileage and AMT transmission were quoting an average of 12 lakhs. Compare this to the fact that a brand new ScorpioN with the full fat 2.2 mHawk diesel can be had for a few lakhs more! Competitive offerings like the Ecosport and Breeza are available for a while lot less.
Old 24th March 2023, 19:23   #15
BHPian

Voted yes. Get the bs4 diesel manual. The midrange of the engine is addictive. Not to mention the 5star safety raiting , superb NVH and fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed