Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 10:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota deletes 11-speaker JBL system from Fortuner

Toyota no longer offers the 11-speaker JBL audio system in the top-variants of the Fortuner.

Toyota deletes 11-speaker JBL system from Fortuner-toyotafortuner110120211829.jpg

The premium sound system was available in the Fortuner 4x4 and Legender 4x4 variants. It has now been replaced with a 6-speaker sound system, similar to other variants.

That being said, prices of the Fortuner remain unchanged. The 4x2 variants start at Rs 32.59 lakh, while the base price of the Fortuner 4x4 is Rs 38.93 lakh (ex-showroom). The Legender is priced at Rs 42.82 lakh and Rs 46.54 lakh for the 4x2 and 4x4 variants, respectively. The GR Sport remains the most expensive trim with a price tag of Rs 50.34 lakh (ex-showroom).

The Toyota Fortuner is available with two engine options. These include a 2.7-litre petrol that makes 164 BHP and 245 Nm, paired with either a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic and a 2.8-litre diesel engine that produces 201 BHP and 420 Nm / 500 Nm.

The reason behind the deletion of the JBL audio system remains a mystery. Whether it will be reintroduced at a later date remains to be seen.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 24th March 2023 at 10:28.
TusharK is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 10:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota deletes 11-speaker JBL system from Fortuner

Smart decision to save money by Toyota. Our 'Janta' in their infinite wisdom will continue to buy this car in large numbers despite it's ever decreasing value for money.

Last edited by manson : 24th March 2023 at 17:27. Reason: Typos.
sid3091 is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 10:48   #3

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Also, one-liner posts are best avoided.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2023 at 17:03.
Sheogarath is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th March 2023, 11:09   #4
BHPian

Scoop:

2024 Toyota Fortuner in India spied for the very first time. Rumored to have no price increase. Mechanically same as the 2023 model, but with a few things deleted .

Toyota deletes 11-speaker JBL system from Fortuner-fortuner.jpg
lordrayden is offline   (255) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 11:09   #5
BHPian

This is why I call this the ONLY Toyota car in India that is significantly overrated and hyped. Going down on premiumness is nothing new and this is happening across the brands. So then why you someone buy a premium car with no premiumness with it? Both OEMs and the foolish prospects (customers) to be blamed.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a hilarious car.

What is the value of this car, I have never understood. What is the "bulletproof" reliability that's thrown up every time someone talks of Toyota, that a Maruti or a Hyundai dont offer? Even if it exists in a plane several above the rest, is it really worth it for the price? Does a fortuner auto-fix itself, while an endeavor's main purpose was to break down and leave you stranded?

Pushing the envelope, toyota seems to be. How much lesser car can we give with more money, lets see.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th March 2023 at 11:05. Reason: Stet (incorrect edit). :)
mayankk is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

One word - "Monopoly"

Toyota India are literally abusing the Monopoly to the full extent possible. Post Ford's exit, these guys are having the time of their life. They give what they want and surprisingly whenever there's feature addition, there's a steep price increase. But, when the opposite happens, they aren't reducing a penny - a big LOL! Enjoy your time, Toyota!
gururajrv is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is a hilarious car.

What is the value of this car, I have never understood. What is the "bulletproof" reliability that's thrown up every time someone talks of Toyota, that a Maruti or a Hyundai dont offer? Even if it exists in a plane several above the rest, is it really worth it for the price? Does a fortuner auto-fix itself, while an endeavor's main purpose was to break down and leave you stranded?

Pushing the envelope, for toyota seems to be. How much lesser car can we give with more money, lets see.
It's got a good engine and is capable off-road, but that's the only positive about this car for me. Severely lacking in equipment, poor ride and handling when, dated interiors - I wouldn't buy it for 30lacs, forget whatever the h*ll they're asking for it these days.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th March 2023 at 08:43.
sid3091 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:21   #9
BHPian

To see how much money Toyota is milking out of the Fortuner, I tried comparing the Australian prices for a 2.8 Diesel Automatic Fortuner and a 330i MSport.

Australian Prices:
Fortuner 2.8D Auto 4x2 Base ~= 50K AUD (27L INR)
BMW 330i MSport ~= 93K AUD (51L INR)

Indian prices:
Fortuner 2.8D Auto 4x2 Base = 37.4L INR
BMW 330i MSport SWB (before recent discontinuation) = 52.9L

India to Australian prices ratio:

Fortuner = 1.38x
BMW 330i = 1.04x

Draw your own conclusions about the price-value equation here.
d3mon is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:29   #10
BHPian

This is absolutely ludicrous! On a car that barely has any redeemable features, Toyota goes ahead and deletes one of the most useful ones. This is such a slap on our face as consumers and clearly shows that Toyota India could give a S##T about consumers preferences.

Despite owning one, i hope somehow people stop buying Toyota's products in the future and they eventually get a much needed reality check and get brought back down to earth.
Doonite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is exactly why I bought a Mazda and invested the money I saved in Toyota shares. Win-win as far as I am concerned!
Viju is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 14:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
To see how much money Toyota is milking out of the Fortuner, I tried comparing the Australian prices for a 2.8 Diesel Automatic Fortuner and a 330i MSport.

Australian Prices:

Indian prices:

Fortuner = 1.38x
BMW 330i = 1.04x

While there is no denying fact that Fortuner has gotten quite expensive, the Australian market gets GX variant which misses few kit(leather seats,Auto AC, fog lamps, leather touches and some more) but I don't recall there is option to buy 4x2. The Indian spec except for transmission is based on Crusade variant.

That said Toyota also seem to have deleted Auto stop/start(I know many would be happy) feature as well. Below is a pic of 4x4 Legender which did not have JBL units and also start/stop button missing.

Toyota deletes 11-speaker JBL system from Fortuner-pxl_20230318_040726394.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 14:08   #13

Worshipers will still worship the fortuner, JBL or without JBL.
tin lizzie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 14:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is a hilarious car.

Your rant is a common enough one. It must indeed be frustrating to see this herd behavior from the Toyota customers. However, having owned Tatas, Maruti, Ford (de facto owned a Nissan Sunny) as well as an Innova and now a Fortuner, I can tell you that all that myth of reliability, peace of mind etc is real. In our family, we are quite certain that if we have to spend more than 10L to buy a car, it has to be a Toyota. Our money is too precious to risk it on anything else. Add a million more like me, and there you have it- the archetypical Toyota customer.

You may think these customers are foolish to throw good money after bad, but they (us) don't calculate the deal exactly the same way,
Contrapunto is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 14:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Australian market doesn't get any 4X2 Fortuner and they only get Automatics.

Coming to the base Fortuner GX sold in Australia vs the base 4X2 MT Fortuner sold in India, there is a day-and-night difference between the two!

The Australian Base model misses out on all of this vs the Base Indian Model:
- Front powered seats,
- Dual Zone A/C, instead gets a Manual AC
- Fabric upholstery vs Leather upholstery
- Even in terms of 4X4 equipment it misses out on Hill-descent control and a rear diff locker
- No auto-dimming IRVM
- Basic LED headlights compared to what India gets as standard
- No fog-lights
- No paddle shifters
- No electric tailgate
- No roof-rails

Only thing the Australian Fortuner gets as standard across the range is Toyota Safety Sense, which the Indian Fortuner misses out on completely.

As @PrideRed mentioned the Indian Fortuner is an Australian Fortuner Crusade offered with multiple transmission and engine combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

Australian Prices:

Indian prices:

Fortuner = 1.38x
BMW 330i = 1.04x

The JBL system was discontinued late MY23 Jan onwards itself! February 2023 onwards 4X4 Fortuners (Regular, Legender and GR-S) were coming without the JBL System.

The most probable reason it has been discontinued is to aid the Innova HyCross’ ZX and ZX(O) production which has been very limited for multiple reasons, the JBL system could be one of them. Other was/is the ADAS module re-calibration.

Other markets like Australia and South Africa continue to get the JBL 11 speaker system, so this can be a discontinuation for a limited period of time from the Indian Market. Once the HyCross ZX and ZX(O) production stabilises I expect the system to make a comeback in the 4X4 variants.

Also maximum variants Toyota sells is 4X2s either with the Regular Fortuner or Legender, so this deletion doesn’t affect maximum majority of their buyers!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 24th March 2023 at 14:52.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed