Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2023, 11:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda India to launch a new car every year till 2028

According to Kunal Behl, VP (Marketing and Sales), Honda Cars India, the carmaker plans to launch a new car every year till 2028 in India.

Honda India to launch a new car every year till 2028-2023hondacityfacelift07.jpg

Behl clarified that the upcoming launches would be a mix of new models and variants. With this, the company hopes to increase its market share in the Indian market. At present, Honda’s product portfolio consists of the Amaze and City, accounting for a market share of just 2.5%.

That being said, the next big launch for the brand will be a mid-size SUV. It is expected to compete with the likes of Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos and will arrive in the first half of the next fiscal year.

Honda also plans to launch an electric car in the Indian market. However, he did not provide a timeline for the same.

Honda is expecting a growth of 8% in the current fiscal, with around 92,000 units. The carmaker exported 23,000 units to Turkiye, Mexico, South Africa and West Asia, registering a growth of 25%.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 27th March 2023 at 12:00.
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 12:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

That being said, the next big launch for the brand will be a mid-size SUV. It is expected to compete with the likes of Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos and will arrive in the first half of the next fiscal year.

Whoa..whoa...wasn't it supposed to be H1 2023?
ToThePoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Whoa..whoa...wasn't it supposed to be H1 2023?
It is. The next fiscal year starts this Saturday.
ron178 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 12:34   #4
BHPian

Of course they will,

Honda City each year- 2023 to 2028 - NA petrol [ Hybrid will get discontinued due to dull sales ].

News of 2028 : Honda will launch mid size SUV to beat the Koreans by mid of next fiscal.
enj0y_ride is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 16:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
It is. The next fiscal year starts this Saturday.
Mid - Size SUV Code Named 3US - currently under trial stage will be launched in Sep'23. The recent render by Autocar is quite close to the actual car in quotient. It is a boxy design and based on upcoming Amaze Platform but it will share the powertrain from current City.

The next Full Model Change Amaze is codenamed 3UR likely to be launched later in FY24.
Motorhead23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 19:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The company hopes to increase its market share in the Indian market.
Hybrid aside, Honda India needs to spice things up in the engine department if they are to stay relevant in the market. Honda India has 2 petrol engines in their stable - 1.5 and 1.2, both naturally aspirated. While both the engines are fairly reliable and offer decent performance (especially the brilliant 1.5), the market has moved on to turbo petrols with decent outputs. If they are targeting to increase their market share, Honda needs to bring the turbo petrol they sell in the overseas market at least as an option (charge a premium; and call it an RS).

At least, they seem to have woken up from their slumber. Bring it on Honda! Competition = better cars for the consumers.
furyrider is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 21:37   #7
BHPian

Atleast launch the suv now Honda! Its high time, we've been waiting for this suv for atleast 6 years now ( more than that ).

A meme by me, no hard feelings , just for fun -

Name:  Screenshot 20230327 213328.png
Views: 567
Size:  231.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20230327 210722.png
Views: 575
Size:  247.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20230327 213351.png
Views: 568
Size:  527.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20230327 213404.png
Views: 564
Size:  491.8 KB

Honda India to launch a new car every year till 2028-screenshot-20230327-213318.png
MotorDev is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 22:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Hybrid aside, Honda India needs to spice things up in the engine department if they are to stay relevant in the market. Honda India has 2 petrol engines in their stable - 1.5 and 1.2, both naturally aspirated. While both the engines are fairly reliable and offer decent performance (especially the brilliant 1.5), the market has moved on to turbo petrols with decent outputs. If they are targeting to increase their market share, Honda needs to bring the turbo petrol they sell in the overseas market at least as an option (charge a premium; and call it an RS).

At least, they seem to have woken up from their slumber. Bring it on Honda! Competition = better cars for the consumers.

One common misconception many people have is that having a turbo makes everything better.

From an engineering point of view, definitely this is true, but when one looks at the overall package, the final output is more important.

For example, a 147 nm torque Maruti vehicle would pull harder than a 170nm Tata vehicle of the same type; weight, final drive ratio and type of rubber playing major roles, just the name a few of the components.

What should be looked at is the feel of a vehicle and one's personal experience rather than pure numbers. A naturally aspirated engine is many times better than a boosted engine because a boosted engine, at least in the Indian context, may have cut corners on other aspects which are almost never talked about. Many companies will show obscene figures to lure potential buyers, but what is many times left out is the unlikely scenario under which such figures can be reached.

What I am trying to convey is that rather than going for pure numbers, its better to have the overall picture. And this point is beautifully shown by the very City in question, almost single handedly it has anchored Honda for the better part of 2 decades, despite the figures of the vehicle often only middling amid the competition.

cheers...
kosjam is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 08:37   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

According to Kunal Behl, VP (Marketing and Sales), Honda Cars India, the carmaker plans to launch a new car every year till 2028 in India.

I'll believe it when I see them launch! Honda has been very reluctant to push new exciting products to India for a very long time! Pakistan has twice the number of models on offer (Inlcuding Civic RS) than us even though with smaller market and purchasing power.

HR-V would have been hit had they lunched here but no appetite from Honda. We got underpowered civic in limited numbers 3yrs ago, and that's about it.
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 09:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
One common misconception many people have is that having a turbo makes everything better.
While I agree with what you said, my post was in the context of Honda cars sold in India. Keeping diesel out of the equation, the 1.2 NA engine in the erstwhile Jazz and WR-V can be termed adequate. Under load, the cars barely managed to pull themselves. Since Honda was reluctant to give these cars city's 1.5 (unlike Maruti for the Brezza), a 1.0 turbo would've done some justice for these vehicles.

Coming to the city, I still stand by my statement. Why not introduce a turbo petrol as an option and call it an RS? They pulled the plug on the Civic long ago and there seem to have no plans for a replacement. The city RS would make a niche segment for itself just like the Civic did. Hyundai did it with the new Verna, VAG twins did it with Virtus/Slavia. What is stopping Honda from doing so? If they are to increase their market share, they have to come out all guns blazing.

All I am trying to say is that Honda should bring in more engine options. Apologies if I sounded like Honda should ditch NA engines altogether. That is not what I meant.

Last edited by furyrider : 28th March 2023 at 09:46. Reason: Typo
furyrider is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 10:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda India to launch a new car every year till 2028

Honda India to launch a new car every year till 2028 - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 10:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:

[/url][/b]
Yet another PR exercise by Honda. I will believe when I see their cars on road. For some reason inspite being successful relatively, they have not shown aggressiveness in launching new cars. If I look at their North America site, they have the full gamut available from Cars, SUV, trucks, minivans and hybrid vehicles.

For Honda to bring new launches, it would be an investment game and I don't see any references here. So I guess some information straight out of their strategy playbook I presume
diwakarmuthu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 11:12   #13
BHPian

I hope this is not a publicity stunt to clear their inventory before wrapping up their business in India similar to what Chevy & Ford did by doing announcements of new launches & facelifts before business closure in India!
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 11:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
For Honda to bring new launches, it would be an investment game and I don't see any references here. So I guess some information straight out of their strategy playbook I presume
Absolutely. If they were serious, we would have read the news on $$$ investment in India vs just some vague roadmap on new car launches.
enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 12:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RSEPOWER View Post
I hope this is not a publicity stunt to clear their inventory before wrapping up their business in India similar to what Chevy & Ford did by doing announcements of new launches & facelifts before business closure in India!
That is what I thought when the City e:HEV was announced: that it was just another Aspire 1.2L Automatic. And that the WR-V facelift spied last year was another “EcoSport facelift”. But developing an all-new SUV with a completely new sheet metal profile, and starting road testing, is too much to ignore. That said, I do not trust the claim of yearly launches. For all we know, Honda will just change the grille a bit and call it a new launch (eg. Amaze, Jazz).

Most Viewed