Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 10:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mahindra Thar 4x4 to get new entry-level variant; to take on Maruti Jimny

According to a media report, Mahindra is planning to introduce a new entry-level variant of the Thar 4x4. The new variant will offer four-wheel drive capabilities at a much lower price point.

Rumour: Mahindra Thar 4x4 to get new entry-level variant; to take on Maruti Jimny-2020mahindrathar01.jpg

The Thar 4x4 is currently available in two variants: AX (O) and LX. The new entry-level variant will be positioned below the AX (O) trim. Reports also suggest that the new stripped-down variant could be called AX AC. It will miss out on some of the features offered in the AX (O). It is likely to be a 4-seater with forward-facing seats in the back.

The new entry-level Thar 4x4 will be offered with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol producing 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are expected to be paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

The Mahindra Thar is priced from Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom). The 4x4 AX AC trim seems to be aimed at the upcoming Maruti Suzuki Jimny, which is likely to undercut the Thar in the lifestyle off-roader segment.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th March 2023 at 10:27.
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Mahindra Thar 4x4 to get new entry-level variant; to take on Maruti Jimny

Agreed with a cheaper variant . End of the day, let the customer decide his variant. I've never been a fan of restricting drivetrain options to certain trim levels.

But the AX(O) is anyway a basic variant with steel wheels, no foglamps etc. Wondering what exactly are they going to strip from the AX(O)? Other than a height-adjustable driver's seat & power windows, I can't think of any possible deletions. There really isn't much you can remove from the Thar as even the LX misses so many modern day amenities (no reversing cam, auto-dimming IRVM, auto headlamps & wipers, electrically-folding ORVMs, rear wash & wipe, lumbar support…).
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra Thar 4x4 to get new entry-level variant; to take on Maruti Jimny

In other words " We are afraid of the Jimmy "

Mahindra is a master of launching a stripped down version (Thar 2wd base at 9.99) and then leaving the customer high and dry for delivery - no delivery promised for 6 months for this version .

All these news does is to continue social media and forum interest - masterstrokes from their marketing team .

PS - I looked and looked for the base version to no avail , finally had to buy a Bolero Neo for hauling up stuff to the farm .

Last edited by wbd8779 : 30th March 2023 at 13:59.
wbd8779 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 14:14   #4

Jimny and Thar are aiming for the same, but are doing it in very different ways.

Jimny is a very small car, it cannot seat more people so if Thar is going to introduce forward facing seats it is not going to do much in pitching it against Jimny.

I believe many more people are buying Thar because of road presence instead of its off road capability, proof is the popularity that 4X2 is getting. Jimny sadly doesnt have that kind of road presence. I was very hopeful of the Jimny 5 Door and was prepared to switch over from my Thar plan to Jimny because it had 5 doors but when I saw the car in person in the Auto-expo it was a big let down. The car is small.

Knowing M&M and going through the booking (on the first day) to delivery experience of the Thar 4X2 it is going to be much more fanfare than a real product coming to the masses. Building a good product is M&Ms strength but getting it to the masses is probably not its strongest suit.
EcoSport_Thar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:43   #5
BHPian

This is a welcome news not just for the Thar fans, this will please the Jimny fans likewise. Now, Maruti can't things for granted and price Jimny exorbitantly.

Last edited by Emvi : 30th March 2023 at 15:48. Reason: Better wording
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Mahindra is planning to introduce a new entry-level variant of the Thar 4x4. The new variant will offer four-wheel drive capabilities at a much lower price point.

The new entry-level Thar 4x4 will be offered with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol producing 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are expected to be paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But the AX(O) is anyway a basic variant with steel wheels, no foglamps etc. Wondering what exactly are they going to strip from the AX(O)?
I am thinking that Mahindra may introduce 4x4 with 1.5L diesel powertrain and pass-on sub-4m tax benefits to customers. 1.5D is still a competent motor and with proper gear ratios, it can fulfill many expectations.

Infact, before new Thar was launched, I expected Mahindra to launch atleast one variant in 1.5D configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonoob View Post
I might be called crazy, but I think Mahindra might offer both 2.0L and 1.5L motors on Thar.

2.0L for those who are really serious about climbing Himalayas through non-existent roads. And, 1.5L for lesser mortals who want to own and show-off their Thar in urban jungles while having almost no craving for mountain climbing.

Having driven XUV3OO with it's 1.2L, I feel 1.5L will be a capable power plant in Thar for easier terrains. Customers with limited budget and eye on fuel economy would be enticed towards that.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 30th March 2023 at 16:07.
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:31   #7
BHPian

On a lighter note, Since Mahindra cannot fullfill existing customer deliveries and planning even more basic variants - how about offering just the chassis like those trucks and let customer build the car. Can't get any more basic than that
ToThePoint is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 08:45   #8
BHPian

Two of my friends bought a total Three THAR 4x4 with 2.2L Diesel engines. Of them One is Automatic and Two are Manuals. They are all fine but return a horrible Fuel efficiency. Manual one is returning 7-8KMPL and Automatic one is returning 6-7KMPL. Anyone facing the same FE?
Old 31st March 2023, 09:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Of them One is Automatic and Two are Manuals. They are all fine but return a horrible Fuel efficiency. Manual one is returning 7-8KMPL and Automatic one is returning 6-7KMPL. Anyone facing the same FE?
I find this very very strange. I am using a Petrol AT in the Niligiris hills and am averaging about 7 to 7.5 kmpl. If I take it to the plains it is about a km or two more.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 09:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Manual one is returning 7-8KMPL and Automatic one is returning 6-7KMPL. Anyone facing the same FE?
I was having an impression that only petrol version of Thar has poor millage ? Those are really abysmal numbers for diesel!
Old 31st March 2023, 12:47   #11
BHPian

The effect of this decision by Mahindra is that they are targeting a specific group of customers who are interested in purchasing the Jimmy but may not be able to afford the Thar. By catering to this market, they are ensuring that they capture all potential customers who are looking for a budget-friendly option.

This move is a win-win for consumers as they now have access to more affordable options.
Old 31st March 2023, 12:58   #12
Team-BHP Support

Or they are baiting Maruti to price the Jimny at a lower price. I seriously doubt that, MSIL has a bad history of overpricing such "niche" vehicle along with Nexa branding. Will be fun to watch the price (maybe introductory) at which Jimny would be launched
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 15:17   #13
BHPian

This entry-level variant seems to have fixed Soft-top (ST).

Rumour: Mahindra Thar 4x4 to get new entry-level variant; to take on Maruti Jimny-2023mahindratharax4x4softtopbasevariantpetroldiesellaunchprice2.jpg

Rumour: Mahindra Thar 4x4 to get new entry-level variant; to take on Maruti Jimny-2023mahindratharbasevariantaxsofttopspecs2.jpg

Source: Rushlane

More details on this variant - here
Knightrider is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 02:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with a cheaper variant . End of the day, let the customer decide his variant. I've never been a fan of restricting drivetrain options to certain trim levels.

But the AX(O) is anyway a basic variant with steel wheels, no foglamps etc. Wondering what exactly are they going to strip from the AX(O)? Other than a height-adjustable driver's seat & power windows, I can't think of any possible deletions. There really isn't much you can remove from the Thar as even the LX misses so many modern day amenities (no reversing cam, auto-dimming IRVM, auto headlamps & wipers, electrically-folding ORVMs, rear wash & wipe, lumbar support…).
I would think launching a model with a more comfort oriented drive, more city than offroad variant would have many takers. There are so many who simply want a tough looking SUV simply to drive around on well paved roads. The Thar is extremely uncomfortable and bouncy for casaul driving.
How about launching a base variant which is a fwd with a softer comfort suspension set up? Wont it have many city takers?
SN88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 09:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I am thinking that Mahindra may introduce 4x4 with 1.5L diesel powertrain and pass-on sub-4m tax benefits to customers. 1.5D is still a competent motor and with proper gear ratios, it can fulfill many expectations.

Infact, before new Thar was launched, I expected Mahindra to launch atleast one variant in 1.5D configuration.
These were my thoughts too.

Rather than launching a barebones 4x4 variant with 2.2 liter engine, it makes a lot of sense to launch the 4x4 with the 1.5 liter engine, MT, with some creature comforts and a manual sunroof, for say Rs 12.49 lacs ex showroom. A 1.5L AMT 4x4 variant with a sticker price at Rs 13 lacs too can co-exist without cannibalising the sales of the 2.2 L torque converter AT variants. Any day I prefer manually shifting gears with an AMT compared to an iMT of Hyundai as downshifts are automatic with an AMT.
These will be much market friendly compared to a barebones 4x4 variant with the 2.2 liter engine and will sell like hot cakes, particularly in semi-urban markets.
Geta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed