Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 13:55   #31
BHPian

Any Audi would be nice to have! But definitely it is going to be expensive to maintain in India for a long time to come. I read somewhere the BMW 3 series has a run flat tyres that has to be changed at a cost of Rs.27000 per piece if they go flat. Moreover they don't give a spare tyre as well for emergencies.

May be these cars will look good as show piece in front of ones house, but to run them practically is going to be like having a white elephant and feeding it!

Audis have sober interiors too! :-(
Old 17th July 2007, 15:17   #32
BANNED

guys...it wont be a CBU unit,By the time the A3 comes to India, Audi's assembly facility at the Skoda plant would be operational. therfore, it would come through the CKD route, so this will result in pricing it lower. secondly,but it cant be priced below 15 lacs, no way. it would be priced between 15-20 lacs as it is as big as A4, minus boot. A4 cost between 25 - 30 lacs. so it would have to cost between 15-20 lacs depending on the variants.so, i believe the pricing would be close the upper d segment cars in india such as accord, luara, camry. dont get your hopes high people, it just cannot cost below 15 lacs, even if it is a CKD. ..................... Mark My Words, Not Less Then 18 lacs
Old 17th July 2007, 15:23   #33
BANNED

hey "landcruiser", i agree that cars like audi,bmw are high maintenance, but you dont have the right info regarding Run flat tyres(RFT), you dont have to get the whole tyre changed, it can be repaired like any other tyre but this is possible only at the bmw workshop, because we dont have roadside puncture walas who have the equipment to mend it.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:32   #34
BANNED

hey "metropolis",dude you cant even compare A4 with civic or corolla or accord for that matter. A4 costs anywhere between 25 - 30 lacs. the other cars costs half that price. A4 comes under the high end luxury segment in india. civic,corolla are entry level premium cars in india. in places like US, civic and corolla are considered small cars just like the b - segment cars in india and audiA4 is still considered as entry level luxury segment in USA.Dude you just cant compare toyota or honda with Audi or BMW. you just cant.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:34   #35
BANNED

Guys..this new doesnt make any sense, it can only be priced between 10 - 15 lacs, if they are making a car specifically for india, which i dont think is possible.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
As far as the Audi Brand image goes .. Yes ppl will buy it. But asking to pay 10 lakhs without a boot .. oops sorry but that sounds a bit weird.

Don't know how many of them will buy it (yeah if at all it makes it)
want a boot??

the indian accent came with a boot and the americans had a hatch option. in that case an A3 with a boot should not be a surprise.

What do you guys say?
Old 17th July 2007, 18:24   #37

I think the same, boot is a must, otherwise Optra SRV which looks so hot, has not been able to do well. Btw, I saw it with a new badging and one of the chevy showrooms, its now Optra SRV instead of the SRV what it used to be..Chevy trying to use the popular Optra branding I guess for SRV, FINALLY!!!
Old 17th July 2007, 18:53   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Once Audi comes to India, Skoda's reputation will take a dip to more realistic levels!
Old 17th July 2007, 19:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
hey "landcruiser", i agree that cars like audi,bmw are high maintenance, but you dont have the right info regarding Run flat tyres(RFT), you dont have to get the whole tyre changed, it can be repaired like any other tyre but this is possible only at the bmw workshop, because we dont have roadside puncture walas who have the equipment to mend it.
What's your "right info" ? If one has driven on the punctured tyre for 5 + km, the sidewalls would have weakened considerably. It has to be replaced. Costs 120 -240 pounds depending on speed rating. India price is pure extortion.
Old 17th July 2007, 22:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What's your "right info" ? If one has driven on the punctured tyre for 5 + km, the sidewalls would have weakened considerably. It has to be replaced. Costs 120 -240 pounds depending on speed rating. India price is pure extortion.
The BMW manual says that you can run on a punctured run-flat for upto 120 KM (or is it miles) driving under 50 mph. In India though, we may not be able to run that far on punctured tyres due to potholed roads.
Old 17th July 2007, 22:35   #41
BANNED

hey..guys., i donn think you guys have the right info...and secondly why are we tokin about RFT's in this forum, we should be tokin about A3, not babbling about tyres..lets shut this topic of RFT
Old 17th July 2007, 22:50   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
I think the same, boot is a must, otherwise Optra SRV which looks so hot, has not been able to do well. Btw, I saw it with a new badging and one of the chevy showrooms, its now Optra SRV instead of the SRV what it used to be..Chevy trying to use the popular Optra branding I guess for SRV, FINALLY!!!

hey guys, A3 is a hatch..a BIG hatch, and its an Audi. when we talk about Audi/Merc/bmw, we talk about the car, not if it is VFM or not. they have A4 if you want the boot. they wont launch A3 with a boot...lolz, they dont make country specific cars. if you have read my other posts, i have explained that it would not cost less than 15 lacs, it is for people who want all the luxuries/build quality/refinement/snob value/ but cant afford an Audi A4.it wont compete with honda/toyota/skoda. it would create its own niche.
seondly, SRV doesnt do well, because chevrolet is not a premium/luxury brand, its on par with maruti,ford,hyundai and when i can get a hatch which is on par in the looks dept, has good safety features, much better interiors, high end features,big tyres/alloys, resale value, better ***. example:-swift zxi or getz(abs) for 2 lacs less then SRV. why wud i buy SRV, i know its big and has lotta legroom, but still i dont think anyone wud pay 2 lacs for this.Optra makes more sense
Old 18th July 2007, 03:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchits View Post
hey..guys., i donn think you guys have the right info...and secondly why are we tokin about RFT's in this forum, we should be tokin about A3, not babbling about tyres..lets shut this topic of RFT
Couple of requests:

1. Can you use proper english?

2. Can you please stop telling us that we have the wrong info? If you think something posted on here is wrong, rebut it with a proper reply including explanations or a source.

Many thanks.
Old 18th July 2007, 08:06   #44
BHPian

personally, i think the A3 is the LAST of the audis we will see here- it just doesnt seem feasable for them to launch it... more important is the launch of the A5 and S5, which seems far more realistic in the near future...
Old 18th July 2007, 10:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

well - no one has answered my query - whats the link between Audi and Skoda?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed