Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you want SKODA to relaunch the Octavia ?
No 61 11.55%
Yes 467 88.45%
Voters: 528. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 07:22   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia

Was one of my dream cars for a long time. And it did sell fairly well. I wish they had done the necessary enhancements and kept it running. I had read the 2023 hybrid version is coming even though it is a CBU and probably in very little numbers.

So today if one needs to buy a sedan above the C segment, there is pretty much no option! :(
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 07:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Disagree. The Octavia was the intermediate " Merc/ Audi/ BMW" sedan for those who couldnt stretch past 30 lacs. Most owners would be chauffeur driven. I dont think they needed a sunroof to make the car popular. It was legendary as it is. The powerful engine, excellent high speed ride, cabin space , massive boot and overall build quality were the main draw. I I wouldnt care a fig about a sunroof in such a car.
Your first two statements are self contradictory.
Most chauffeur driven owners with a Rs 50 lac budget will prefer a Toyota Fortuner or an Innova/ Hycross (Rs 30 lac budget) over a German sedan/ Octavia which pampers the driver.

Last edited by Geta : 4th April 2023 at 07:33.
Geta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 08:24   #18

Octavia was an aspirational car for many, offering a killer package. Sad to see it go.
madraspaiyan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 08:34   #19
BHPian

It's truly sad to see a beauty of a machine go. I'm fortunate to own one in 2022 and it has a different aura altogether. Even my friends owning Mercs and Audis, rate Octavia higher than their cars

Hoping Skoda may bring a new avatar of Octi back to India.

Looking forward to that moment
Travelfarbeyond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 09:38   #20
BHPian

On this occasion, I can't help think of these three absolutely fine videos on the Skoda Octavia.

Evo India's Gone but not Forgotten

Evo India's Slavia vs. Gen 1 Octavia RS

And Powerdrift's 2021 Skoda Octavia launch video

TejasKinger is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:47   #21
BHPian

This summarizes the irony:
Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-octavia-ashamed.jpg
OffRoadFun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Yes I am one of those who voted no. But hear me out.

AT 5-7L premium the Superb and Kodiaq are available which offer loads more space and comfort than Octavia while having the same powertrain. The question arises: What was Octavia's proposition to Skoda's customers with upwards of 30L to spend on a car? Only driving dynamics (interior maybe, but that would have been resolved with a new generation of Superb).
The driving dynamics of Superb came very close to it, so it failed at being better enough for me on that aspect also. If Skoda were to bring the 245 hp version for the same price I would have thought otherwise, but pigs will fly before that happens. So no, I think it is a smart move on Skoda's part to rationalize their lineup for now. Hopefully they will bring back the Superb and Kodiaq which I feel are cars that Indian market really need, to fill the void created by skyrocketing luxury car prices.
YD14 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 12:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

I recall the BS6 transition where some of the models took a momentary hiatus (some did so permanently too) and the 'hole' in the line-up will only be temporary in my view

The CKD/CBU models give healthy margins without too much of a volume commitment, we can probably see some hybrid drivetrains with a facelifted Octavia/New Superb hopefully once the dust has settled post RDE roll out
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 12:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Yes I am one of those who voted no. But hear me out.

AT 5-7L premium the Superb and Kodiaq are available which offer loads more space and comfort than Octavia while having the same powertrain. The question arises: What was Octavia's proposition to Skoda's customers with upwards of 30L to spend on a car? Only driving dynamics (interior maybe, but that would have been resolved with a new generation of Superb).
It’s the same proposition or reasoning for why a person would pick 3 Series over 5 Series/X3. I am one of them who would definitely pick a car smaller in size if the engines are same as it will be much more fun to drive.
Agree current gen Octavia is softened but still handles much better than Superb/Kodiaq. And definitely it’s faster too. And it’s enough reasoning for few to buy Octavia.

Last edited by sunikkat : 4th April 2023 at 12:23.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 12:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I wasn't surprised. This was bound to happen.

We were looking to replace the Jetta and almost paid for the Octavia. I wasn't keen on this choice as it definitely didn't feel like an upgrade from the Jetta. Of course, it had newer interiors and features when compared to the Jetta but at 38L on road, the Superb made sensible choice at 44L on road.

After multiple test drives, it really felt nothing less than the Jetta and we eventually dropped the plan and got this instead.

Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia-screenshot-20230404-12.24.40-pm.png
naveen.raju is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 12:27   #26
BHPian

Like I said in some EV thread many months ago, cars of tomorrow are losing souls and are becoming more like appliances now. You buy them because you have to and then you use them and forget them but they will never make you want to take that extra long road just to enjoy the drive. Rather you'd take the next shortcut to reach home early and watch a web series or play some Forza Horizon may be. That was not the case with cars like Octavia, Civic, Endeavour or even Corolla petrol etc. Sadly those days are gone. People who could afford them or still has one in their garage are lucky. May be their price will appreciate like an old wine. Those who never experienced them, well, probably 20 years down the line, all we are going to have is some gadgets on wheels. We'll appreciate their features but won't be able to connect with them. I guess then the entire Team BHP will be like the Mobile phone thread. Enjoy your cars till you can.
Carpainter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 13:26   #27
BHPian

So at present, the most powerful sedan one can buy in India below 50 lakh rupees mark, is the Verna!(Considering Superb is also being discontinued along with Octavia)
Just couple of days back I was saying the same to Bhpian Long_Tourer, who is also an Octavia owner!
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 14:40   #28
BHPian

It is really sad to bade goodbye to the beloved Octavia. I am really happy that I am owning this 1.8 TSI though the older generation (A7). It is a sheer bliss to drive; the only flip side being shoddy service from dealership.
livelyyoungman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 14:58   #29
BHPian

Skoda may bring in Octavia RS iV plug in hybrid but the pricing may become north that of Superb. This might be their conundrum. If brought in as a CBU, their options to localise and strip off some features may also be limited. Being a Skoda owner, hoping to get their premier sedan sometime soon.
Old 4th April 2023, 16:44   #30
BHPian

Great car however I kinda hoped they would've reintroduced the 2.0 TDI with it. Previous gen Octavia facelift with the 2.0 TDI and the automatic was such an amazing long distance tourer.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed