Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 17:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?

Every time I hear Jaguar-LR, the first things that come to mind are Jeremy Clarkson saying ‘Jaaaaag’, the glorious 2 seater sports cars and the elegant RRs. However this train of thought is quickly pushed aside by horrendous reliability, poor product lineup and absolute horror stories I’ve heard from owners of these cars. From a XF headliner sagging every monsoon for the entire ownership period to an Evoque that refused to go into gear randomly, I’ve heard of some truly unbelievable stuff happening in their cars.

Moreover, they are least interested in selling their overpriced, under equipped cars which I found out while checking out the XE in 2018. No TD, no transparency on waiting times, equipment on offer, the maintenance packs etc.

The only product from JLR that truly tugs at my heartstrings is the Defender. However, I’d think 100 times before bringing one home.
revsperminute is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 17:59   #17
BHPian

Sedans time is over! It is going into a slow death.

Thereis no point sticking to 'only-sedan' policy. They should start making SUVs and Jaguar SUV should have a rounded coupe-ish silhouette with more racing DNA and LR should sit to the masculine SUV line-up. I think Jaguar line-up should have more of X1, X3 Category of cars to boost up the line up.
Old 13th April 2023, 21:36   #18
BHPian

For some more detail into the same topic, this podcast will provide some good insights as well

Old 13th April 2023, 22:20   #19
BHPian

There are a lot of negative things which come into my mind about Jaguars. Many of them are either overpriced to the core or have underwhelming build quality or outdated interiors (XF, XE) or horrible reliability. At least Land Rovers are up to date in designs and interiors compared to those outdated Jaguars. F-Pace has the worst ride quality in the segment and overpriced to the core such that even the XC90 and the Q7 are VFM now. XE is discontinued and XF is overpriced, built to a cost and unreliable making E350d, 5 series and A6 VFM.

Current Jaguars have nothing to offer compared to their rivals (including Lexus, Volvo). I have heard a ton of quality issues and reliability nightmares of Jaguars. I'd rate VW and Skoda above Jaguar anyday in terms of build quality, comfort and reliability. They offer better quality and reliability than Jaguar at much cheaper price.

Even dated Audi, Volvo and underdog Lexus are offering more exciting products compared to Jaguar. Genesis' India entry will be a massive threat to Jaguar. I feel Tata should simply finish Jaguar's story and focus only on Land Rover. Land Rover is doing pretty well nowadays despite their bad reliability thanks to their cool designs and crazy attention to detail.

Last edited by IREV : 13th April 2023 at 22:32.
Old 14th April 2023, 00:15   #20
BHPian

I'm a massive fan of Jaguar, they're in my personal top 5 for the best car brands of all time, it's sad to see them like this.

I've always been drawn to Euro cars more than the Japanese or American cars and especially British car companies tend to be the ones that will leave you smiling but fail financially or move away from their automotive roots.

In the modern era most British car brands seem to have found their "mojo" except for Jaguar. Bentley found success under the VW/Audi umbrella, Mini and Rolls Royce reinvented themselves under BMW ownership and remain successful, McLaren went from a racing company that built one model back in the 90's to being mentioned in the same breath as Ferrari and Lamborghini in under 10 years (MP4-12C was launched in 2011), Aston Martin went under new ownership and is doing well with AMG V8's, Lotus and Morgan found their niche and stuck to it, hell even sister company Land Rover got their stuff together and are doing very well now. And yet, Jaguar has been unsuccessful in forging their own 21st century comeback.

Here's what I personally think they need to do:
1. New XE and XF - While I personally think the XE and XF look good even today it doesn't matter what I think. For the mass market they need to release a new XE and XF.

2. Update the F-Pace - Again I personally love how the F-Pace looks, even in 2023 but if they want to sell more they need to bring something new to the table or at the very least bring a major update to the F-Pace.

3. Bring back the XJ - Jaguar without an S-Class competitor just feels wrong, bring back the British land yacht, preferably with a V8.

4. Make bonkers performance vehicles under the SVR division - Jaguars Special Vehicles division is the most underrated performance division in the entire industry. A new XE with an V6 powered XE SVR and a V8 Powered XF SVR to take the fight to BMW's M5 would be appreciated by enthusiasts worldwide.

5. New F-Type halo car - Look, I absolutely love the F-Type but the platform turns 10 years old and they desperately need a new sports car/halo car for the brand.

6. A small and big SUV - While an updated/new F-Pace would take on segment giants like the Audi Q5 and BMW X3's of the world, Jaguar needs ICE SUV's that will sit below and above the F-Pace replacement in their line-up and they have the perfect partner for that. Land Rover.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 12:41   #21
BHPian

I am not sure if I follow, or want to follow but Jaaaaags look killer to me. (No offence to anyone) but 3 series looks meh and Benzes are far too common where I live, Mohali / Chandigarh.
I like my cars to be jack of few (if not all) trades and probably master of one (if not more).

Head turning potential is important to me and I would venture to say, its the same for all of J and LR fans.
Jaguars for their pouncing saloon silhouettes and LRs for their big boy masculine looks.

Coming to ASS, I haven’t had any issue so far, touchwood. In fact I had some random person jam into Olivia (my SE XE) and gave me a heart break. I thought of taking her to JLR Dada Motors Ludhiyana and checked with my SA there. I had done a scratch fingernail test earlier. That guy suggested me to spray a dio, rub a good fabric, massage toothpaste and rub the fabric again, voila! 100% of that scratch gone and that guy din’t leverage this opportunity to make few thousand bucks.

I appreciate that. And I don’t know if other brands would have done the same. Thoughts?

Anyway. My XE cost me 44.5 OTR and 3GLi, new C are almost 1.5x of that now. Do they bring enough stuff for that ~20L difference? Yea ..no!

Given a chance, I’ll buy XE or that sweet yacht XJv8 anytime over a 3/C/A4 or a 7/A8 again.

I have a special place for previous year S class, now-discontinued 530d, S90 though having grown up with their iterations.

But Imho, this thread seems to imply all bad things about this legendary brand. There is a reasonably big fan following for JLR in India.
I really hope they expand on their inventory with more engine options or leverage LR’s engines in Jaguars.
Again, my 2 cents only.

- A happy XE owner
Attached Thumbnails
Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-img_3173.jpeg  

Last edited by Tutenkhamen : 14th April 2023 at 12:44.
Tutenkhamen is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:01   #22
BHPian

I'd solely blame it on very poor marketing and management. I have a 2017 CBU XF Petrol and have a few Mercs and Bimmers and the Jag outdo it in terms of Luxury and performance. It still handles and drives better than any modern 5er. Just my 2 cents
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:40   #23
BHPian

The kinda money BMW and Mercedes spend on R&D per platform alone probably is greater than Jaguar's revenue. Same is likely applicable to the RD staff numbers at BMW and Merc vis a vis Jaguar.

1. Innovation takes a back seat because they can barely keep up with their RD budgets

2. The big three Germans stay where they are because they actively spend billions to get their suppliers to deliver their best as opposed to a financially hamstrung company that very likely buys off the shelf stuff.

This shows in their products.
ashivas89 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 22:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

1. Their lineup has been outdated for a while
2. Very unreliable, even compared to other luxury cars.
Old 15th April 2023, 00:24   #25
BHPian

What Jag can do to turn around it’s fortunes?

1) Offer the best Standard Warranty in town (Eg: 5 years/ 1 lakh km)
AND
2) Make more SUVs (Eg: a Q3 rivalling F-pace)

If this can’t save the company I don’t know what will.
Old 17th April 2023, 01:28   #26
BHPian

I love Jaguars simply because of their looks but would never want to own one.I checked out the XE back in 2017 they were really trying to push it 50% off on all services till 5 years and an extended warranty was what they offered,I felt it as a drivers car but as someone else pointed out the gearbox tuning really puts you off it just doesn’t respond like a BMW even though both use the ZF gearbox ,rear space is cramped ,body panel gaps are evident but their biggest drawback I have heard is poor spare parts availability in case of a minor accident and you need a new door or a headlight the car is gone for six months maybe more and if it’s a discontinued model don’t even bother going to the dealership so unless one has a fleet of cars or can treat an XE like a garage queen or like an ‘Aston Martin’ it really doesn’t make sense and this is JLR’s issue worldwide not only in India.I recently saw Doug Demuro a famous YouTuber selling off his Defender that’s fairly new because he was made to wait for months for a new door.And like some others have mentioned and since Land Rover brings the major chunk of sales anyway my thought is that they should only bring the XJ as a CBU with the V8 for India just to keep the Jaguar brand alive, that land yacht is pure British elegance and might appeal to people who value exclusivity.
VwRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 19:19   #27
BHPian

Despite knowing all the shortcomings / potential risks of owning a Jaguar, I loved the looks of the F-Pace. I tried to purchase one in 2019 and visited AMP Motors in Gurgaon.

I drove in a Renault Scala and was treated like a poor guy by a disinterested lady. Though I had booked a test-drive online, she told me that a TD car is not available. She even tried to convince me that a used XE would be more affordable to me.
Thankfully, she offered me a decent tea and a brochure, with a promise that they will give me a callback after the TD car is available; they never called me back.

Ultimately, Jaguar's loss was a gain to Porsche.

The Porsche sales guy brought different cars to my place, for test drives, without any hiccups. They were never bothered about my baramuda shorts when I visited their showroom.

Then came 2022, and my urge for a Jag was still alive.

I filled out a form on Jaguar.in showing my interest for F-Pace.
I got a call within 2 days, and guess what ... The same lady from AMP Motors called me up. She made some lame excuses regarding sending a test drive vehicle and requested me to visit their showroom.
With old memories still fresh, I plainly told her that I changed my mind only because of her.

So, I feel that the bad user-experience is also a crucial factor for Jaguar's downfall.

Last edited by gyanbaba : 17th April 2023 at 19:24.
gyanbaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 19:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanbaba View Post
Despite knowing all the shortcomings / potential risks of owning a Jaguar, I loved the looks of the F-Pace. I tried to purchase one in 2019 and visited AMP Motors in Gurgaon.

I drove in a Renault Scala and was treated like a poor guy by a disinterested lady. Though I had booked a test-drive online, she told me that a TD car is not available. She even tried to convince me that a used XE would be more affordable to me.
Thankfully, she offered me a decent tea and a brochure, with a promise that they will give me a callback after the TD car is available; they never called me back.

Ultimately, Jaguar's loss was a gain to Porsche.

The Porsche sales guy brought different cars to my place, for test drives, without any hiccups. They were never bothered about my baramuda shorts when I visited their showroom.

Then came 2022, and my urge for a Jag was still alive.

I filled out a form on Jaguar.in showing my interest for F-Pace.
I got a call within 2 days, and guess what ... The same lady from AMP Motors called me up. She made some lame excuses regarding sending a test drive vehicle and requested me to visit their showroom.
With old memories still fresh, I plainly told her that I changed my mind only because of her.

So, I feel that the bad user-experience is also a crucial factor for Jaguar's downfall.
I went to pick up my E class in my driver's swift, just for the sake of convenience, appalled at hearing this, no wonder their fortunes don't look promising enough.
The irony when I went to pick up my last BMW, asked a friend to pick me up for delivery and went to the dealership a lovely previous generation XF.
To confirm, Mercedes treated me equally well even prior to booking when I went a few times in a few different cars for sure.

During Delhi's weird odd/even rule I've even taken my clerical boy's Alto to the best of five stars without a worry , it's they who need us, not us who need them
np23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 19:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutenkhamen View Post
I am not sure if I follow, or want to follow but Jaaaaags look killer to me. (No offence to anyone) but 3 series looks meh and Benzes are far too common where I live, Mohali / Chandigarh.
I like my cars to be jack of few (if not all) trades and probably master of one (if not more).

Head turning potential is important to me and I would venture to say, its the same for all of J and LR fans.
Jaguars for their pouncing saloon silhouettes and LRs for their big boy masculine looks.

Coming to ASS, I haven’t had any issue so far, touchwood. In fact I had some random person jam into Olivia (my SE XE) and gave me a heart break. I thought of taking her to JLR Dada Motors Ludhiyana and checked with my SA there. I had done a scratch fingernail test earlier. That guy suggested me to spray a dio, rub a good fabric, massage toothpaste and rub the fabric again, voila! 100% of that scratch gone and that guy din’t leverage this opportunity to make few thousand bucks.

I appreciate that. And I don’t know if other brands would have done the same. Thoughts?

Anyway. My XE cost me 44.5 OTR and 3GLi, new C are almost 1.5x of that now. Do they bring enough stuff for that ~20L difference? Yea ..no!

Given a chance, I’ll buy XE or that sweet yacht XJv8 anytime over a 3/C/A4 or a 7/A8 again.

I have a special place for previous year S class, now-discontinued 530d, S90 though having grown up with their iterations.

But Imho, this thread seems to imply all bad things about this legendary brand. There is a reasonably big fan following for JLR in India.
I really hope they expand on their inventory with more engine options or leverage LR’s engines in Jaguars.
Again, my 2 cents only.

- A happy XE owner
Very glad to hear this, have another close friend who has the XE Petrol (Higher tune) enjoying it happily, just saw the picture of the 340i in a similar colour on the 340 thread on team bhp, and your black XE looks equally appealing to the eye, great to know some ASS are doing their job properly, wish they put in effort towards the XF , I so wanted to purchase it earlier, but one short Test Drive was enough for me.
Happy Miling
Old 17th April 2023, 23:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanbaba View Post

Very similar story here on two different occasions. These totally echo with other Bhpians here as well. The bad user experience is primary coupled with shoddy half-hearted sales effort. Let me briefly describe both and the outcomes each time. Though one is for LR and one for Jaguar but same dealership and similar experience.

1. In late 2015 I was very keen on a LR. I was making an assessment which one can I afford and which one is a good balance on budget and borderline SUV capability as I could not go for the Range Rover models I would have loved to own. The guys flat out declined a Test Drive and also rattled prices (MRPs then) to ensure they are not dealing with a false sales enquiry. The attitude just pissed me off and then I went and booked Endeavour (knowing the LR heritage it had) even before it was in the showrooms.

2. In 2019 I called them again to look at options of F Pace and XF. No Test Drive cars and no call backs either. They just did not consider it worthy to call back an enquiry despite my following up on phone thrice. I went and booked the then launched new engine C220d which I got by March 2019.

Now let me describe the Mercedes buying experience and you can figure what a contrast that is (fine-print: This dealer did not charge me the taxes correctly which I paid 3 years later with a penalty to RTO but I did stop at buying and never went even for first service - details in another thread posted a year so back in India Dealerships):

I called the dealer one morning asking for demo of GLC and C Class. This was around the beginning of 2nd week of March. Within an hour the sales person arrived with 4 cars - C Class, GLC, GLE and E Class. I test drove the C and GLC and asked him to come over with the forms. By lunch another person with forms came and collected a cheque and went. By end of 3rd week I had collected the Car from the show-room (including some pomp and show with Cake and photos taken). No wonder Mercedes is going strong in India

On after-sales and service as well, I must say, the dealer I go to (Sundaram Motors - I did not buy the car from them) have been outstanding. My bills have been low and they have looked after the car well. From my colleagues who own Jaguars (no LR I know of), they find the service pathetic.

So you know the reason Jaguar is slowly dwindling. LR will go the same way if they do not mind the prices. They are becoming unreachable for all the decent models and service nothing to write home about.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 17th April 2023 at 23:09.
nareshtrao is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks