Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2023, 10:26   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?

I went against the tide and bought a F-Pace 3 years ago and just sold it today. However much to the surprise of many, my reason for selling is not linked to any bad experience or troubles. I found a great upgrade offer that couldn’t refuse or else I wouldn’t have sold the Jag.

Below are the few reasons why people don’t consider Jags and my experience with the car in those areas:

Reliability: In approx 3 years of ownership, I have zero drama from the car. The warranty just expired. Regular service at the dealership once a year that costed similar or lesser than Germans.

Quality: I have zero complaints for the fit and finish. Infact I thought it was better than the Germans I owned. The Germans now give you fake leather while jag gives real. No squeaks etc.

Expensive to buy: I bought mine at a great price brand new during the BS4 to BS6 transition at the end of 2019. This was the best period to purchase in the past decade.

Resale: Sold it for 20% lesser than my OTR price when new after 3.4 years of ownership. This is the best resale I have got in the recent. What has helped is the new F pace now costs 90+ OTR which is a joke!

All in all my gamble paid off very well. Would I buy a JLR product again? Definitely !

However, will I find an exciting Jag to buy in the near future? NO
The reason being that as many mentioned, JLR is confused on the future of Jaguar as a brand. They need a robust strategy. I hear going more premium and all electric is/was the plan.
Someone I know works with the brand in the UK and he mentioned to me two years ago that there are no new product plans for Jaguar and all focus is on Land Rover.

In the short term, Jaguar sales aren’t going to go up IMO. However if they get it right in the long term, it has massive appeal and potential.

Last edited by Sahil : 19th April 2023 at 10:33.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:11   #32
BHPian

JLR to invest GBP15 bn in 5 years, first EV launch in 2025, bookings from later this year.

The company’s Halewood plant, in the UK will become an all-electric production facility and its next generation medium-size medium-size SUV architecture, electrified modular architecture (EMA), will now be pure-electric.

JLR to seperate products into 4 brands Range Rover, Discovery, Jaguar and Defender and maintain them seperately. That means that they will have different sub brands of each like Range Rover has Velar, Evoque, etc. So expect multiple iterations for others too.

They have put in ambitious plans for Jaguar too starting from 2025 once they have an exclusive architecture for Jaguar named JEA.

Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-picsart_230420_185418603.jpg

Source: Economictimes.com - JLR to invest GBP15 billion

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 20th April 2023 at 19:12.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 20:36   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Here is a great series of videos about Jaaags.
Well worth watching. I find Twin Cam’s videos superbly detailed, beautifully presented with a wealth of excellently researched detail.

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 21:19   #34

I'm really astonished by where the brand Jaguar has landed itself too. The F-TYPE, when introduced was one of the best product they had made and now they don't have a product which can give competition to the germans. I don't understand why on one hand Land Rover is launching new products and Jaguar is sleeping like nothing is wrong for them. Is the brand secretly killed, it's up to the people at JLR for what they've planned for one of the most pretigious car brand in the world.
Old 21st April 2023, 19:36   #35

I scrolled through the entire thread and even pressed Ctrl-F to search for Ian Callum. I'll add my two cents about one of the most important British designers who made the Jaguar look the way it does today.

The Jags became cool in the 21st century after launching the XF in 2007, which was followed by the XE, XJ and the F-type which continued the design elements. This design moved away from the dual headlights of years past, but still looked like a Jaaaaag. Over the years, the headlights looked like a Jaguar on the prowl.

The interior was theatrical, the knobs which appeared in the centre console, the mechanical AC vents that turned up, the car just had too much oomph.
The design was poetry in motion the interior literally was poetry. A car has to look cool first to generate the interest, followed by the specs that should justify the looks. If they do not look cool, we do not fall in love with them, and then it's an obvious downfall.

I really wish they would evolve from Ian Callum who left in 2019 to the next designer, a change of line is the need and of course a strategy to do something. Economics speak to the head and a car needs to speak to your heart which the Jags are not doing now.

This thread made me nostalgic as I remembered all the Top Gear videos I had seen and just fell in love with these designs that were different from the other Europeans. Sharing videos that I watched again and again of the XFR, XJ and the F-type for your weekend binge.

Warwin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 07:30   #36
BHPian

All-electric Jaguar four-door GT global debut in 2024

Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-jaguarlandroverreimagine900x506.jpg

The new Jaguar EV GT will have a range of up to 700km and a starting price in excess of GBP 1,00,000 (roughly Rs 1.02 crore). The new GT will be revealed in 2024 and go on sale in 2025 as the first of three models in the new Jaguar family. Each will be built on an all-new bespoke EV architecture called Jaguar Electrified Architecture (JEA). The target time for charging is 322km of range in 15 minutes. Prototypes of the new GT will hit the road before the end of the year. This will be followed by two more EV crossovers

The investment in Jaguar stood at around GBP 1 billion (roughly Rs 10,214 crore). “We’re creating an entirely new brand, new business models and new competencies, with every part of the client journey reimagined,” said Hoornik.

Autocarindia - All electric Jaguar new lineup

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 22nd April 2023 at 07:33.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 08:02   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Jeremy Clarkson.
Damn. What a cool cat.

Old 24th April 2023, 09:41   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwRabbit View Post
the gearbox tuning really puts you off it just doesn’t respond like a BMW even though both use the ZF gearbox
I so agree. Absolutely loved the XE's styling, ride & handling balance and the "Jaguar" badge. My deal-breaker with the car would be its gearbox tuning. As an enthusiast who closely watches the engine + gearbox behaviour, I found the XE's automatic gearbox to be very annoying. It drove me up the wall! I found it hard to believe that it's the iconic ZF-8 that BMW tunes so very well.

That being said, I recently drove the '23 Range Rover and found its gearbox to be well-tuned. Not BMW good, but good nevertheless.
Old 26th April 2023, 13:27   #39
BHPian

On way to work today, saw this beauty, the designs are still attractive, wish the quality and support was as well, hoping the electric only direction will help them become a niche player
Attached Thumbnails
Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-99f9874fd0704932b783290088751102.jpeg  

Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-514868e1c90f4173a77317777a6a36e4.jpeg  

Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-eb5cc57fba2e473383e7cda3dfe19997.jpeg  

Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-080b57190e1d4392bb18fba57676814b.jpeg  

Whatever happened to Jaguar? Why is the brand struggling?-f8de12881ede4274899ecaa980599e23.jpeg  

np23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:06   #40
BHPian

Question to the experts. Are modern jags unreliable because of their predominantly aluminium based construction?

Also, should Jaguar hire Toyota and implement TPS(Toyota Production System) or any other current proven production techniques, just like Porsche did in 90s when they were struggling?

And personally, contrary to the market trend, Jaguar should focus on sedans only (let LR work on SUVs and EVs). Their sedans should be compact and should have the best-in-class driving dynamics.

Imagine a simplified jag portfolio - XF, XJ and F type only, that are 10% smaller in size than their competition, with petrol (supercharged V6) and hybrid options. They should be competing with Maserati and not with the German big three.
Old 18th May 2023, 08:29   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LR-GUE View Post
Question to the experts. Are modern jags unreliable because of their predominantly aluminium based construction?
I'm no expert but I'm quite familiar with those cars due to my past work, Most Jaguar's unreliability issues are down to three main problems - 1. Electrical systems, 2. Transmission issues and 3. Ignition coil issues. They are getting better if you compare them to 10/15yrs ago but they still have lots to catch up.

They are pretty good in terms of structural design and safety (on par with the best even)
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks