Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2023, 12:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present

only fuel efficient and fun to drive petrol car i knew of was Esteem 1.3 during its days.
Old 19th April 2023, 12:38   #32
BHPian

Skoda Rapid 1.0 Tsi

Absolute hoot to drive, but if you hold your horses especially on the highway, you will be rewarded with amazing FE figures (~20 kmpl on Highways @90-100 kph)

Having driven it for almost 3 years, I absolutely love the vehicle for its dual capabilities.
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:48   #33
BHPian

Love the Yeti. The driving dynamics coupled with that lovely mix munching 2.0tdi just does wonders. I just did a 300km sprint on an emergency basis and boy, this car knows how to hold its place in ones heart! The under pinnings of the golf, the SUV suspension and the haled really make a lot of difference. I feel extremely confident behind the wheels and even at triple digits, the efficiency is in double digits!
Old 19th April 2023, 13:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Manabendra S View Post
Heck , my driver has sometimes outpaced BMW's and Lamborghini 's when starting off from a traffic signal ( not bragging).
That is so amazing How did the Lamborghini drivers react once they saw you overtaking? They tried to catchup in next signal or just gave up with a shameful face?
RakishRam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 13:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Ecosport S tdci can handle both extremes pretty well. I guess most fords will easily be in this list.
Attached Thumbnails
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-img_20230130_110816.jpg  

07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 13:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Heck , my driver has sometimes outpaced BMW's and Lamborghini 's when starting off from a traffic signal ( not bragging)
Were the BMWs and Lamborghinis parked when your driver outpaced them?
jfk1975 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 13:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Heck , my driver has sometimes outpaced BMW's and Lamborghini 's when starting off from a traffic signal ( not bragging).
Were they actual BMWs and Lamborghinis or just autorickshaws with stolen badges/fake stickers? Or were they on flatbeds, on their way for registration?

On a serious note, do you know the exact BMW and Lamborghini models your Santro smoked? You should dig out their 0-100 timing and compare it to your Santro timing to understand why they are not being ricer-like whereas your driver is trying to prove a point for no reason by being aggressive in city traffic.
HighRevving is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 13:30   #38
BHPian

The two cars that I have owned have been fun and super-efficient (I do have a relatively low bar for efficiency, though). Both Superb and Vento return a very nice mileage when between 80-120 on the highway
Superb's weakness was traffic and bangalore. Vento seems to handle that pretty well

I guess most turbodiesel germans are quite efficient and fast. From what I've heard and seen on media, the F80 M3, F82 M4 and even the F90 M5 can easily give a two digit economy when driven like a normal car (but nobody does that)

Even Fortuner (3.0/2.8) can churn out a decent mileage and be extremely fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Case in point is cars like Scorpio Petrol/Diesel, XUV 700 Petrol/Diesel
Agreed about the 204PS petrol but diesel? No way. The test drive Scorpio was an abused and dented Z8L 4WD MT with additional weight of the 4WD hardware and has idled countless hours, I even drove it in 4WD for some time!
I drove it like a madman on open highways and rush hour traffic with auto-start/stop virus turned off. It returned a mileage of 11.6 kmpl in horrible Lucknow traffic

No way I would call the 2.2 mHawk a guzzler by any stretch of imagination. After climbing Agumbe ghat at breakneck speeds and setting nearby roads on fire, the XUV500 still returned a mighty 14 kmpl
Old 19th April 2023, 13:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Well, both "fun to drive" and "fuel efficient" are subjective terms. There is no absolute definition of either.

However, with some subjectivity that is unavoidable, I would say my current car, F30 BMW 320d is both fun to drive and fuel efficient.

And while doing all this, it returns somewhere between 14km/l to 18km/l on my typical highway drives (and on a couple of occasions, I got more than 20km/l).
I couldn't agree more...here's a picture to corroborate the above point...BLR to CBE trip on ECO/Comfort mode with bursts of Sport mode for overtaking/engine braking.
Attached Thumbnails
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-20230218_165735.jpg  

Kelly66 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 14:10   #40

Skoda Fabia 1.2 2011 model Petrol is fun to drive, peppy engine in the city and highways gave us around 17KMPL on BLR to CBE highways maintaining good speed, and it is absolute bliss to drive, Steering control and seat ergonomics are amazing.
Old 19th April 2023, 14:18   #41
BHPian

I would like to add the honda civic too, now with diesals gone even 9-10 kmpl isnt bad and with how cheap these are too buy the overall cost really does not matter. Gives you the thrill of an og vtec in terms of revving, handling of a modern car with that beautiful hydraulic steering wheel.
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 14:18   #42
BHPian

The 1.6l Baleno was one the perhaps the best balanced car of its time. 16kmpl for a fast petrol sedan was
Old 19th April 2023, 14:31   #43
BHPian

My pick would be i20 CRDi, no compromise on the fuel efficiency even when you push hard, I'm getting nothing less than 18KM/L even with the remapped engine
MathanK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 14:38   #44
BHPian

The Ford Figo 1.4 TDCI is a fun car to drive & pretty fuel efficient, has consistently delivered 16-18 kmpl in the city & around 20 kmpl on the highways. Had it remapped & it makes around 90 BHP now & close to 210 NM of torque. With close to 1.9 L kms done, its every bit of fun it has ever been.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 14:39   #45
M35
BHPian

Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-photo20230106193230.jpg

A relaxed drive at 80-85 km/h, this brilliant machine returns a consistent 20-21 km/L mileage.

But the real fun is when you unleash the beast inside. My Yeti on B6 and stage 1+ makes you do a Palakkad-Bangalore and back in one go. I am a spirited driver yet the FE never goes below 13 km/L. Such an engineering marvel!

Last edited by M35 : 19th April 2023 at 14:40.
M35 is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed