Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 21:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present

Generally speaking, fuel efficiency and performance do not go together. Case in point is cars like Scorpio Petrol/Diesel, XUV 700 Petrol/Diesel, even the XUV300 TurboPetrol (mStallion motor), i20/Venue 1.0 Turbo, the Safari DICOR (old), Octavia 1.8 DSG, Tiguan allspace 2.0, Tiago/Tigor JTP Twins, Jeep Compass Petrol+Diesel, and so on. While all these cars are immensely fun to drive, yet they are fuel guzzelers.

On the other hand, there are cars which are fuel efficient, yet, fun to drive, like the new Verna Turbo 1.5L (more Fuel efficient than 1.5 NA) , Ignis K12B, Nexon Diesel, Scross 1.3/1.6, Ford Figo/Aspire TDCi, and so on.

Note: Not mentioning strong hybrids and EVs here just for the sake of keeping discussion only among petrol and diesel mills as Hybrids/EVs have are a different game altogether.

Do list out your favourite Fuel sipper yet Fun to drive car (current or past, discontinued or still in production).
DCEite is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 22:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present

Well, both "fun to drive" and "fuel efficient" are subjective terms. There is no absolute definition of either.

However, with some subjectivity that is unavoidable, I would say my current car, F30 BMW 320d is both fun to drive and fuel efficient.

On fun to drive front, the car has all that I need - a low-slung RWD sedan with 50:50 weight distribution, a lovely steering, a fast and accurate ZF8 gearbox, and perfect ride and handling balance. The car is fun to drive on fast highways, hilly roads, sweeping corners (it loves cornering), and even on the scenic two-lane country roads.

And while doing all this, it returns somewhere between 14km/l to 18km/l on my typical highway drives (and on a couple of occasions, I got more than 20km/l). The car with a 2.0L diesel with 190hp and 400Nm, that I drive quite spiritedly, and yet returns such fuel efficiency numbers (and in the process gives a range of about 900km to 1000km) would be my entry in this thread.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 17th April 2023 at 22:51.
Dr.AD is online now   (54) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 23:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Nothing beats Gen 1 Swift Diesel in the fast, fun and efficient category. One of the most fun cars ever sold in India, and consistent 20+ kmpl on diesel which enjoyed a lot of subsidy back then.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th April 2023 at 23:16.
Eddy is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 23:16   #4
BHPian

The GT TDI was fun to drive and at the same time, fuel-efficient - both the 1.6 and 1.5 with the 1.5, I think, being more frugal. A remap, if one felt the need for it, and they were small diesel rockets. But gone are the days of diesel hatchbacks! Turbo-petrols and electric are the way forward it seems.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th April 2023 at 18:24. Reason: Language
VwRabbit is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th April 2023, 08:50   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great thread . A clear "head as well as heart" car discussion. Some thoughts:

- Almost all quick diesels will fit here. Including some luxury German cars.

- Cars of the 90s & early 2000s were very light (no safety norms then) & didn't have strict emissions equipment. Many cars of that era would fit the bill, the one that comes to mind immediately is the 1st-gen City Vtec. Beautiful engine and quite fuel-efficient too.

- Turbo petrols are massive guzzlers when driven hard. Almost all of them.

- How can we forget quick electric cars that are also fun to drive . I enjoyed zooming in the MG ZS EV, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Mercedes EQS...

- Cheap (relatively), fun & fuel-efficient = Ignis! Am amazed at the kind of numbers being reported for this car in the sipper thread (Are you driving a fuel sipper? Share your miser's fuel efficiency numbers here). The Ignis MT is super fun to drive! Then, we also have Marutis like the Alto K10 & Swift.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel :
Enjoyable on the highway, efficiency never dropped much even with wide open throttle. Handling was good too. Could do 20kmpl easily even when driven hard on the highway.

Jetta TDI stage 1:
Never knew car could be this fast and efficient at the same time! Never drops below 18kmpl on empty highway even with aggressive driving. Biggest issue with this car is finding a worthy replacement within 40L.
giri1.8 is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Turbo diesels are going to rule this tread.

The diesel versions of all cars with the VW 2.0 TDi were strong performers while having good fuel efficiency at the same time. Everything from Octavia to Laura to Jetta to Tiguan to Kodiaq. As long as that engine was sold in India, it was THE powertrain of choice.

This mantle has now been taken over by Fiat’s 2.0 MJD. Every car with this engine is fast as well as fuel efficient. Jeep Compass diesel is the enthusiast’s car of choice, it also delivers 20kmpl on highways. Harrier, Safari and Hector are also similarly quick and about as efficient.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The diesel Fiat's (Punto/Linea), the Ikon 1.4D are two that come to mind immediately. I had the Ikon, and should not have given it up.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:45   #9
BHPian

Ford Figo TDCI 1.5L Diesel engine was very efficient yet had enough grunt to offer fun to drive experience.
Thilak29 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Turbo petrols are massive guzzlers when driven hard. Almost all of them.
However, if you are a bit soft on the pedal then it could be a different beast altogether. Our 2021 Nexon XM Petrol seems to return mind-boggling highway numbers, if you drive in the Sport mode!

Last month, I did a Kolkata - Ranchi - Kolkata drive via Jamshedpur in our Nexon fully in sport mode with AC and within the road-legal speed. This ~965 km drive includes a return drive through Ranchi city (Rampur - Kantatoli - Mesra). The tank-to-tank mileage was more than 18 kmpl.

Tank-to-Tank mileage (Ranchi drive)
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-nexinranchit2tmileage.jpg

In last October, we got even better tank-to-tank mileage during our Kolkata - Arunachal drive of ~2672 km fully in Sport mode. In this drive, I also had my longest drive of 600+ km without refueling our Nexon.

Tank-to-Tank mileage (Arunachal drive)
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-nexinarunachalt2tmileage.jpg

and MID mileage estimate for the whole Arunachal trip!
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-nexinarunachalodomileage.jpg

So if you are a bit (only a bit) gentle on the pedal, then Nexon turbo-Petrol engine in the Sport mode can be both fuel-efficient as well as fun to drive! Here is a pic of our Vagabond
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...000-km-up.html

Nexon at the beautiful Mesra campus, showered with flower petals!
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-nexon_mesra.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited by gmhossain : 18th April 2023 at 10:24.
gmhossain is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:26   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My lovely old 2011 Model Skoda Yeti 4x4 2 litre TDi Elegance Manual used to give happily 21 on the Bangalore Madras Bangalore run. Lovely engine.
Big regret that I did not use it enough in the 8 years I had it and sadly I sold it in 2019. In hind sight, that vehicle was a real ‘keeper’.
Attached Thumbnails
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-img_5027.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:37   #12
BHPian

I personally feel, the thread should also include another aspect - Safety.
What's the fun if the car isn't fast, fuel efficient and safe to sustain the speeds.

Having said that, the diesel engines from Ford stable were generally fun to drive, fuel efficient and for the most part, the cars were safer as well.
Fiat's 1.3 MJD was another gem.

From the recent cars, I find Tiago petrol to be a fun little car, fuel efficient and a safe car in its segment.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:40   #13
BHPian

I was taught to drive on a non power steering Maruti 800. That car was light, nimble and and accelerated quickly till 60 km/h. I had fun learning to drive on it in curvy rural roads which were empty and had ponds and lakes around. Fuel efficiency was always over 16-17 km/L

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Engine : very fuel efficient (16-17 in City, 19-20 on highway) and fun to drive car. I still have mine.

Renault Fluence 2013 - 1.5 Diesel had lots of torque. Fuel efficiency hovers between 15-18 KM/L. The car had great build quality and stability on roads.
Renualt's Diesel Duster are also great to drive. If driven calmly, they are capable of returning over 18/19 KM/L

Ford EcoSport S MT 1.5 TDCi - 4 years ago, this car was on shortlist to replace Fiesta. But didn't buy :(
Fuel Efficiency - 16-18 city/highway mixed.

Around 2010, Skoda Fabia came with TDI Diesel in price range of 6-8 Lakh. That car was not very fuel efficient despite being a diesel, but it was not bad either. Handling and steering feel was similar to Fiesta

I think the formula is - Sedan/Hatchback car with decent body weight + Hydraulic power steering + Diesel Engine + a suspension that is neither too soft, nor stiff (it should not be tuned entirely towards comfort)
CoconutCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 13:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Fun+Fuel-efficient means primarily Diesels. All the yesteryear's 1.5TDIs(VW/Skodas)/1.3 Multijets on small cars like swift etc. Most examples given in this thread would have been phased out by now

Pure petrols are almost always inefficient when you are having fun with them. Current crop of turbo-petrols even more so being ultra sensitive to the right foot.

I know you have asked to keep hybrids out of the discussion but in absence of diesels these days, only those can come close to being 'efficient' while giving you some fun. We don't have too many options yet but hope these become mainstream sooner as EVs are still far off considering out infrastructure.

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th April 2023 at 13:28.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 13:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Do list out your favorite Fuel sipper yet Fun to drive car (current or past, discontinued or still in production).
The first gen Swift with the 1.3L petrol was a great car to drive. Good pickup, slick GB and used to give close 14/15 Km to the litre.

Have not owned on but the Zen was another petrol vehicle which fits. MPFI has taken the fun out of the budget cars though Ignis comes close as others have already mentioned.
Abhisheknott is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks