Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 17:43   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4ferrari View Post
See what happend to the dc designd Aston Martin...today the company is up for grabs.
Again, DC NEVER designed any Aston, he was simply contracted to manufacture one particular prototype. For which he did a terrific job.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4ferrari View Post
Agreed, but I still do own a Tata car myself and i know how things work in there. They are just not cutout of a business of like Ferrari. Talking out of experience and insider knowledge. The only looser out of the whole thing would be Ferrari. Its not going to earn anything in the bargain. All thats going to happen is Tata Motors image will be hoisted higher at the cost of Ferrari. Also Ferrari is a lifestyle and such things simply cannot be understood by the subordinates at Tata Motors. Besides Mr. Tata himself, theres not a single visionary in that company worth to be associated with Ferrari. They simply connot think that big in terms of splurging and luxury. Also its a shareholders company, which will require alot of struggle to change its employers mindset. It will only be possible after Tata begins to deal in the Luxury market with smaller likes of Jaguar and Range Rover, Aston Martin, Lancia etc untill they get the real taste of what Ferrari is all about. Today you talk to any Tata personel all theyt alk is value for money and cost of ownership. They do not even consider performance. Its sad to expericne when you walk into the Tata Fiat dealership today, they sales rep still recomends the 1.1 over the 1.6 Palio. Its like you gift louis vitton bags to a begger what will happen... . He will not apreciate it, infact he will curse you for giving him something so delecate and impractical. Or if he knows its value hel sell it off. But the bottom line is he wont apreciate its true worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
A few are being sarcastic & a few serious. Do you guys as serious enthusiasts believe that Ferrari's will be sold in Tata showrooms along with Indica's? Its goes to saying without any doubt that there will be different showrooms, service bays, service & marketing personnel catering to all needs to Ferrari A.S.S. Should this deal COME THROUGH in the first place.
Besides, dont we like have an insider amongst us from the top brass of Ferrari?

I would agree if such claims came from our lack luster journo's not from the whole lot of us here.
Like mclaren said, the Ferrari dealerships and service centres are going to be completely different from the TATA ones so I dont know why were going on and on comparing Tata Sumos with F430s.

IMO TATA is one of the best auto companies in India and can really pull this off, besides didnt they have something to do with bringing Mercedes to India?
Old 20th July 2007, 19:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
If you do happen to be what your name suggests, you would be the first employ of the new venture. Marketing Boss of ferrari in India.
@ agent4Ferrari - Assuming the above were true, how would you advice Ferrari on its entry into India? Also, as an insider (or have access to one)do you think:

a) Tata-Fiat arrangement is bound to succeed in long term...?
b) Other prestige brands under Fiat such as Lancia and Maserati will do well in our market?
c) If so, would you sell the above mentioned brands like Lancia and Alfa Romeo under one roof, ie, would it be wise to share showroom space with a super exclusive brand like Ferrari?
d) Would you consider having showrooms in hotels like the Taj group, given that only their chairman is worthy of being associated with a stratospheric brand like Ferrari?
Old 20th July 2007, 20:49   #79
Senior - BHPian

OT but There was a time in around the mid 80's when Tata's were having a tie up with Honda to bring in their Accord and Civic. Saw a few ads as well. But not sure what happened then.
Old 21st July 2007, 00:53   #80
BHPian

first of all, it is a big news indeed. and did i hear someone say 98L for the 612 Scaglietti? ONLY IN DREAMS, Pal. the machine retails for more than 250Gs US in the US (sorry dont know the exact amount, but its 170Gs GBP).

A Ferrari in TATA-FIAT Dealership. you gotta be kidding.
As in case of the likes of Porsche and Lamborghini, there would be exclusive dealerships. Only one or "maybe" two in the whole country.

And someone asked if you could go in the showroom to look at the car? Well no! You have to take an appointment first. Its not a Palio...

Then driving in with your spanking new F430 for an oil change into a TATA-Fiat Service Center??? I dont think owners of these ultra high-end cars take 'em for service. These companies send there very specialized engineers to take care of these "little" issues.

I partially agree with Agent4Ferrari [he promised a TD of the 430 :lol ] that Tata would never gain anything from this venture. Setting up a complete dealership is not a piece of cake. But knowing Mr TATA, I dont think he is foolish enough to do it himself. He would obviously have kept the gun on Fiat's shoulders as he has been busy doing for the last one-and-a-half years.
[{OT: I think Fiat's MJD wud appear first on an Indica, then on a Fiat. }]

TATA is controlled by a majority of shareholders and would not even allow Mr RATAN TATA to pull this off. But as I am typing this long post, a dozen Investment Bankers would be sweating their a**es off in a heavily chilled conference room.

Also someone asked why Mercedes, Honda and Toyota have partnered with Indian companies. Well there is a Govt Ruling that no Foreign Company is allowed to setup a 100% subsidiary at the time of introduction or something like that. Some seniors could throw some more light here?

Anyhow, I am going to get some sleep now. My 599GTB is waiting to get an oilchange and I am thinking of taking it to HIM Motors, Peeragarhi, New Delhi.
ROTFLMAO.
Old 21st July 2007, 11:54   #81
SuperSyn

I do not think roads are that much of a concern. How much ground clearance do you need for going from your home to the nearest 'please-click-my-photo-I-is-rich-an-famous' club/hotel?

Most people who'll buy Ferraris in India will do purely for bragging rights. Those desis that actually care about driving experience already have these (and other!) cars in EU/Canada/USA.

Old 21st July 2007, 17:19   #82
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari coming to India is great but I'd rather see Lancia's and Alfa Romeo's here first, followed by Maserati and then Ferrari.

And I would like a few Fiat exclusive dealerships since I am not very excited about the way the Tata-Fiat service set up is going. Problem is no one would spend money to put up a Fiat dealership today. So Fiat could set up dealerships with separate enterences for Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo cars. Problem is the average Indian doesn't know about the Lancia and Alfa Romeo connection with Fiat and by doing this Fiat would make this secret public and pre maturely kill the potential of both Lancia and Alfa. Majorly complicated situation Fiat is in, I must say!

PS: I don't think Fiat has the ability to market Alfa Romeo correctly.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Just revisited this old thread, whatever happened to Ferrari's plans of launching in India? Died a quiet death? Recession got their tongue??
Old 14th March 2009, 22:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Actually recession isnt going to be a problem for Ferrari,it always manufactures less cars than the demand.In India too if it enters now,those want to buy a ferrari will buy, recession or no recession.
Old 14th March 2009, 22:35   #85
BHPian

I am in splits.

I am just imagining of the day when my Junkindica will be in the same service bay as the Ferrari. Can't wait to see both of them getting plundered royally and that too together. Imagine the Ferrari in the service center waiting for parts to come from Italy.
Old 15th March 2009, 00:36   #86
Senior - BHPian

My two bits

Ferrari is a Fiat. Fiat owns Ferrari.

About the engineering capabilities of Tata and the A.S.S. of Tata, the zillions of Indicas & indigos, not to mention the 12 tonners we see blocking our path on the highways, make me wonder.

Are our taxi owners and truck owners absolutely daft to keep buying vehicles that insist on breaking down at every bend in the road, that too vehicles that are impossible to maintain and repair?

I think not. Those vehicles feed, clothe and house those guys (besides paying for their children's education etc.). They would drop them like a hot potato if they were unreliable vehicles that were difficult to repair and maintain.

Point to ponder? I think so. I have found the hardworking, poor, uneducated, junta of this country to possess a deep wisdom that we unfortunate educated folks have no access to.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 15th March 2009 at 00:37.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:19   #87
BHPian

No matter whatever people say, if ferrari is there in India, it will sell more than hot cakes, no matter if they deal with TATA or any other auto maker.

Ferrari is a ferrari. No recession will effects its sale.

I wish i could buy one!!!
Old 16th March 2009, 00:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
A few are being sarcastic & a few serious. Do you guys as serious enthusiasts believe that Ferrari's will be sold in Tata showrooms along with Indica's? Its goes to saying without any doubt that there will be different showrooms, service bays, service & marketing personnel catering to all needs to Ferrari A.S.S.
Its a reply to a very old post but I just had to in hindsight.

Should I remind you that this is eggjactly what TATA-FIAT alliance said when they released the Linea in Cochin. They claimed that there would be seperate showrooms and service centers for the two makes in Ernakulam but to this day the Palio and Linea gets experimented on at the Indica service bays. Have a trip to the workshop and get ready to be dumbfounded at the tools they use to remove the tie rod ends and the ball joints. Its similar to me using discarded shaving blades to make an incision on your body. I am dead sure that my Junkindica and the Ferrari will be serviced in the same bay and with horrror of horrors the same tools.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th March 2009 at 00:36.
Old 16th March 2009, 09:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Tata cannot do to ferrari what they did to fiat linea and palio, quite obviously! Ferrari will obviously have exclusive showrooms, and Tata will help them set those up! Indica and Ferrari getting sold at same place?? People are dreaming!
Old 31st March 2009, 14:51   #90
abk
BHPian

TCS racing site

Check the new TCS racing site here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks