Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 16:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki upgrades all vehicles to meet BS6 Phase II regulations

Maruti Suzuki upgrades all vehicles to meet BS6 Phase II regulations, adds Electronic Stability Control.

Maruti Suzuki India has announced that it has upgraded its entire range of vehicles to comply with the updated Bharat Stage 6 Phase II emissions regulations. All Maruti Suzuki hatchbacks, sedans, MPVs, SUVs and commercial vehicles are now compliant with the new BS6 Phase-II Real Driving Emissions (RDE) regulations and compatibility with E20 fuel.

The new Maruti Suzuki BS6 Phase II compliant cars are equipped with an enhanced On-board Diagnostics (OBD) system to monitor the emission control systems of the car in real-time and will notify drivers in case of any malfunction. Furthermore, Maruti Suzuki has equipped its entire range of cars with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system, a global leading safety feature that can detect when a driver is losing vehicle control under challenging driving conditions.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th April 2023 at 16:33.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 16:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki upgrades all vehicles to meet BS6 Phase II regulations

Just wondering if MSIL released any retrofit kit for existing BS6 vehicle owners who wish to add RDE devices. I understand compliance to E20 fuels might need bigger component changes and might not be possible in service centers.
Old 25th April 2023, 18:44   #3

Visited my city's MS Arena dealer today to enquire about this update on the Brezza. But all of them said that they don't have any information from the company regarding this update. It's really confusing, they say that the car being sold today (there were 2 Brezzas and an Alto K10) are BS6 and not phase 2. But then said they did not know of any update to those cars.

The new cars appear to have an E20 sticker inside the fuel lid. I have asked the SA to check for the same and inform me.

Maruti should inform their own SAs first before informing the customers via a press release.
threadneedle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 19:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Just wondering if MSIL released any retrofit kit for existing BS6 vehicle owners who wish to add RDE devices. I understand compliance to E20 fuels might need bigger component changes and might not be possible in service centers.
There is nothing like an RDE device fitted in these cars. The engine tuning would have changed only in cases where there was a deviation in emissions in the bench test compared to the driving test. This is not much of a problem especially for the new age petrol engines from Maruti and only some software tweaks related to throwing up the check engine light when there is a problem with any component that might cause emissions from going beyond limits.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 19:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is this news? The government has made BS 6.2 norms mandatory and they have to comply with them to continue doing business in India. Every other car being sold today from every single manufacturer is also BS 6.2 complaint. These norms have been in place for a month already.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 25th April 2023 at 19:54.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 19:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadneedle View Post
The new cars appear to have an E20 sticker inside the fuel lid. I have asked the SA to check for the same and inform me.
Followed up on this with the SA. The new cars are all E20 compatible - the same is indicated on their fuel lids and user manuals. He said that they have been told by the company today that all models are BS 6 Phase 2 updated, but doesn't know where this is indicated in the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki upgrades all vehicles to meet BS6 Phase II regulations-img20230425wa0005.jpg  

threadneedle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki upgrades all vehicles to meet BS6 Phase II regulations, adds Electronic Stability Control.

This is really commendable coming from Maruti as they usually take these steps only when forced to by legislation.

With most manufacturers now offering ESP as standard now, we don't even need legislation anymore. I never expected such a situation in India to be honest !

The outlier is actually Tata Motors who still isn't offering ESP (even as an option) on the Tiago, Tigor, Punch & Altroz which as per the new GNCAP protocol would cap their score to 2* ! I hope this is fixed at the earliest.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 26th April 2023 at 14:37.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
This is really commendable coming from Maruti as they usually take these steps only when forced to by legislation.

With most manufacturers now offering ESP as standard now, we don't even need legislation anymore. I never expected such a situation in India to be honest !

The outlier is actually Tata Motors who still isn't offering ESP (even as an option) on the Tiago, Tigor, Punch & Altroz which as per the new GNCAP protocol would cap their score to 2* ! I hope this is fixed at the earliest.
ESP has become standard of most new cars simply because the latest ABS modules have stability control built into them, which is now the required standard in most countries. This is not any benovelance on part of the car manufacturers. Simple economies of scale at play here, they are getting this 'feature' by default now. Only a matter of time before the same is seen in Tata cars as well, perhaps they still have an ongoing commitment for the previous gen system.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 26th April 2023 at 14:57.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 15:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
ESP has become standard of most new cars simply because the latest ABS modules have stability control built into them, which is now the required standard in most countries...
Since my field of work is very closely connected to these products, I can say this is not the case. The ABS module and the ESP module is different and there is no built in stability control with ABS, apart from EBD. There is a hardware change and the addition of other input sensors like a steering angle sensor and yaw rate sensor (now mostly integrated into the ESP unit itself).

Maybe the semi conductor crisis accelerated the change but the decision was definitely not forced. The government anyway had ESP on the legislation roadmap and programs like GNCAP 2022 and the proposed BNCAP also all needed ESP, so OEMs are proactively shifting.
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 11:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Why is this news? The government has made BS 6.2 norms mandatory and they have to comply with them to continue doing business in India. Every other car being sold today from every single manufacturer is also BS 6.2 complaint. These norms have been in place for a month already.

hi,
I am new to the forum , so kindly moderate / correct in case how I post this query is not right.
I have booked a Brezza zxi+ petrol AT , in the month of July 2023. Ever since I booked the car , I have been trying to determine if there is a definite way how one can tell if the car is BS6 or BS6 phase 2 norms compliant. The only way to do so seems to be from the sticker inside the fuel lid.

- I have tried calling the MSIL 1800# ,hoping to get a clarification they are clueless about this. In fact they says "it must be BS6 since BS6 phase II is not mentioned on any documentation."

- I have paid a visit to the dealers service centre , they too have no understanding of the difference between BS6 and BS6 phase 2, and how to identify one from the other.

- Sales folks from the dealer say that any engine manufactured after Apr 2023 have to be BS6 phase 2, so I am guaranteed to get a BS6 phase II engine when its time for delivery ( approx 4 to 6 months of waiting).

Is there a easy way to determine this by some component ( EGR valve ?? ) or through some paperwork - before I actually purchase the vehicle / during PDI ?
Going by the earlier quote , it sounds like the sales reps are correct. Pls advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks