Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 17:12   #1
BHPian

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?

For most of us, Sunday is the only day we get to stay at home (if at all), and just sitting at home throughout the day, doing nothing, feels odd.

Almost everybody in this forum/everybody reading this is an automobile enthusiast(be it car or bike or whatever), and we do love to take care of our vehicle(s).

Since childhood(early/late 2000s), Sundays meant getting up early in the morning, going to the Fish and Chicken shops in Adyar(those who know, know), coming back home quickly to hand those over to mom, so she could start the cooking process.

After returning dad would start working on the car(s) and scooter(s), and given the fact we had a Fiat Uno, something or the other was always wrong. The fixing process would be followed by a thorough cleaning of the interior and exterior.

And that would be followed by a visit to Adyar IOCL COCO Petrol Pump to get the car fueled up and the air pressure checked.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20200514_1223322822.jpg

Sunday has historically been a "car/bike/scooter care day", even for my dad back in his childhood. My grandfather had a Lambretta scooter and it was the duty of my father and uncle to keep it in tip-top shape.

2 generations down the pedigree chart, and Sundays are still the same.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_202304301601482.png

Every Sunday starts with mom's tasty breakfast (I'm a Bengali settled in Chennai: so here's the breakfast- Lucchi with Aloo Dum). Nowadays everything is delivered to home, so going to Fish/Chicken shops every Sunday morning has become history.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20200811_1927431552.jpg

After the wonderful breakfast, it's time to take care of the cars.

A thorough wash of one and a half hours for each car, followed by 30 minutes of interior cleaning, followed by 10-15 minutes of checking all the fluids(windshield washer, coolant, engine oil). Fluids are not checked every Sunday, but every 2-3 weeks.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220626_122121344_hdr3.jpg

After the wash
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20221002_1628383072.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20221002_162734302_hdr2.jpg

This is followed by a drive to the same, above-mentioned IOCL COCO Petrol Pump in Adyar to get a week's Petrol filled and Nitrogen topped-up.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220626_130226473_hdr2.jpg

This is followed by a sort of joyride in the beautiful Besant Avenue road and Besant Nagar beach (it's generally afternoon by the time we complete the above errands, so- empty roads).
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220613_110736558_hdr3.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220508_150511543_hdr-12.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220219_135300512_hdr2.jpg

And if lucky enough, come across the wonderful exotic cars that reside in and around and Bessy.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-20211121_1326132.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230122_1345393002.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_20230430160247.png
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_202304102116583.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20210410_175914130_hdr2.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20201102_1431578942.jpg

Mandatory photoshoot, after the wash, at the beach down my street (pics taken today: tyres polished after returning home)
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230430_1345473202.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230430_134934067.jpg

And by 2pm, back home: Sunday morning done!

Hope everybody enjoyed.
Thank you
DocwithFiesta is online now   (64) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 17:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?

Beautiful thread, thanks for sharing! I love your Sundays. My Sundays be like:

- Usually up early.

- A drive is a must, whether in the morning, noon or afternoon. Mumbai city is most beautiful in the first half when the roads are empty. It's also when you will see all the supercars & vintage cars coming out to play. Sunday morning is the new Saturday night.

- I drive all the important new car launches and spend time with them on weekends (am a strict desk guy on weekdays). So, it's a lot of fun, experiencing new cars, seeing what manufacturers have been up to & keeping my finger on the pulse of the Indian car scene. For instance, I currently have the XUV400 & a Safari special edition parked down my house.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-20230501-10.13.12.jpg

- Sundays are a mix of work & play. I put in at least 3 hours of work, here & there. Nothing regimented like the weekdays, but could be 2 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the evening.

- I love brunches, especially those with live music. Had gone to Gymkhana 91 last Sunday. Our brunches usually start at noon'ish and we get home only by 5 PM. The Sunday before that, we had a lazy, long brunch at Saltt Karjat.

- Sunday evenings are at home or on the terrace. Too much traffic outside on Sunday evenings, parking is a problem and there are long lines at restaurants. I hate crowds. Much prefer a home dinner on Sunday night, a good movie / show and then sleeping early so that Monday is a fresh start @ 630 AM. This is unlike Saturday night. Last night, we were partying till 3 am .

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2023 at 10:17. Reason: One more thing
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 17:55   #3
BHPian

Great thread! Here's what my typical Sunday looks like. At the time of writing, I am a 16 year old student so my Sundays include a lot of academic work about which I shall spare you the details.
  • Wake up without setting an alarm (the time depends on what I was doing the night before ) and finish off all remaining schoolwork. I'm usually free by noon, which is when I practice the drums for as long as my heart and limbs desire.
  • Since traffic is relatively sparse, this is the day where we usually eat out, and experiment with places further away than usual after determining the route with the least rumble strips (a pain fellow members from Hyderabad will relate to). Usually, this is the only time our Superb is driven within the city.
  • Many a time, we then go on a long-ish drive to any place of interest we may have found around the city. The last time was to Narsapur forest reserve, a beautiful drive on some twisty backroads I didn't know existed near Hyderabad!
    How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230114_170149.jpg
  • Once we get back is when I catch up on a lot of automotive reading (Team-BHP, the Autocar magazine, r/Cars from time to time, etc) and if I'm working on a thread of my own, this is when I get a decent amount of free time for it.

Usually, any car-related work is also carried out on Sundays, be it basic things like a wheel alignment and balancing session or something bigger like detailing work.

If either the Superb or the Fiesta have been sitting idle for too long or has only been doing city trips, Sunday also often becomes the day we periodically take them for a long drive; sometimes even with no destination! Here are a few photos from such drives I've taken over the years.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220114_172302.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220224_181358.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220224_181604.jpg
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230408_210546.jpg

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 30th April 2023 at 18:24.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 18:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sundays are invariably very early mornings doing one of the following - basically it has to be something outdoors.

- A super early AM (5 am types) departure for a bike ride with my riding group (typically anywhere between 200 - 380 kms round trip.

- A super early AM departure (5.30 am types) to my usual haunts for the weekend long run / cycle ride (haven’t done the latter lately but will be back on the table once training is more regular). If its a run I’d either drive or ride to my usual running place like Marine Drive or Bandra. This is usually followed by breakfast with the running / triathlete buddies.

- If neither of the above then I would try and catch a small city ride / drive into bandra or town for a coffee at least.

My family doesn’t like early mornings on weekends and I don’t like to miss what early AM affords outdoors so the ‘together’ family activities are all usually post 11 am / noon. Late morning onwards till evening is entirely time with the family doing anything they want to do. We may or may not go out if they want to go somewhere in particular.

Late evening onwards we are invariably at home since Mondays are again super early for all of us.
Axe77 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 19:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Beautiful thread, thanks for sharing! I love your Sundays. My Sundays be like:

- Sunday evenings are usually at home or on the terrace. Too much traffic outside on Sunday evenings, parking is a problem and there are long lines at restaurants. I prefer a home dinner on Sunday night, a good movie / show and then sleeping early so that Monday is a fresh start @ 630 AM. This is unlike Saturday night. Last night, we were partying till 3 am .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Great thread! Here's what my typical Sunday looks like.
.[*]Since traffic is relatively sparse, this is the day where we usually eat out, and experiment with places further away than usual after determining the route with the least rumble strips (a pain fellow members from Hyderabad will relate to). Usually, this is the only time our Superb is driven within the city.
Thank you!
Love your Sundays, can relate as well.

Usually, the rest of our Sunday, is rather boring.
Sunday evenings are indeed quite crowded everywhere, and Mondays are always an early start, so it makes little sense to go out anywhere on Sunday evenings. So we generally get food delivered home. And I do not work-out on Sundays: no evening walks, no cycling.

Also, mom too goes to work 6 days a week, and she prefers staying home on Sundays.

Therefore, exploring new restaurants/cafes is something that we do on Saturday evenings, after returning from work. It's generally me and my mom, since dad doesn't like outside food much.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230306_1822170112.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230109_175410770_hdr2.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20220617_190341_8593.jpg

Also, it's Saturday night when we usually head out to our favourite Juice Shop in Besant Nagar: Fruit Shop on Greams Road. They close by 11pm, so we reach there by 10:50pm and have a glass of juice/milkshake (whatever tickles our fancies) and return home by 11:30pm or so, after which, we(me, mom and dad) sit and talk, mostly about our work, till about 1:00-1:30am.
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_55332.jpg
DocwithFiesta is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 11:39   #6
BHPian

Re: How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?

What you're doing now is exactly what I used to do in my first 2 years of college! Except I couldn't be bothered to clean the exterior of the cars by myself (did my scooter on my own, though!) and we had some steam washing people come over to do that. All the other stuff, down to the drive down Besant Nagar, was a weekly ritual for me.

The only other difference is I started my Sunday off playing beach volleyball early in the morning, so I'd be done with the car stuff and drive down Besant Nagar by noon.

Nowadays I just try to hit the gym and treat myself to a set of heavy deadlifts/long run sometime on the weekends.
rkv_2401 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 11:51   #7
BHPian

Sundays for me are quite fun and also quite busy. Being associated with off road circuit and groups, Sundays are spent around 4x4s having fun.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_20230501_114212_gallery.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_20230501_114106_gallery.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_20230501_114148_gallery.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_20230501_114046_gallery.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-screenshot_20230501_114010_gallery.jpg
88_TANK_88 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 12:29   #8
BHPian

A typical Sunday for a bhp-Ian like me is 2-3 hours of Car wash / wax both interior & exterior.
I’m up by 6ish with my bucket, sponge, hard brush, wiper & mop, microfibres, Colin & windshield washer fluid (RO water), wax & sponge applicators.

Having an independent house gives me an advantage of access to covered space & water (moderately used)

Off late spending time on this used JDM I picked up recently.
Attached Thumbnails
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_8956.jpeg  

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_8958.jpeg  

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_8959.jpeg  

FIAT3031 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 13:30   #9
BHPian

Sundays for me usually start with making nice hot tea, getting much loved "pattice" from well know bakeries around Pune - Hindustan, Santosh, New Poona Bakery, Bikaner etc. Settling down and enjoying them till the time someone calls me for some household chore and then by the time you realize, Sunday is over!

Then few Sundays -
It's getting up early @ 5:30 am and then its me and my 2 wheeler on a quick solo ride in any directon out of Pune city. It could be Mulshi - Tamhini with a stop at Quick bite, Paud - Tunga - Tikona ride, Sometimes Velhe - - Konkan kada or Necklace point - Bhor, etc. My companions are my camera / mobile and my ride (used to be Honda Unicorn and now it's Suzuki Burgmann) and my sack.

Early morning ride in nature - quiet green surrondings, amazing topography, dam waters, deep blue sky, watching the ever changing shapes of clouds, listening to the sounds of nature, rustling of wind across the trees - closing your eyes - absolute peace of mind!

Back home by noon @ 1pm.

Apart from this, at times we (family of 5 - my parents stay with me) go out for a short picnic to any odd spot in nature, not really something well known but could be any nice spot maybe under a tree, near a dam or a nice temple etc. Spend some leisure time, have food (usually lunch) and then come back by 5pm max. Usually if my parents don't accompany me, its 3 of us in Nano else its Linea Tjet.

Years ago, Sundays were spent in thoroughly washing my dad's yezdi. Now-a-days it's any one of the vehicles depending on any plans for the day. With the garage increasing in size, mostly washing is done by a trusted chap who does the job so well!.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 1st May 2023 at 13:36.
SSD2122 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 13:43   #10
BHPian

I don't have a routine as such on Sundays. However, there are some things I do in general on the weekend. Keeping in mind that I am a 17-year-old school going kid, here's what I do:

During my vacations, when at home:

- I start my day (rather late) with a good breakfast. Usually, the first half is spent in helping in the kitchen or going with my father to the grocery store. When I'm free, I watch videos or spend time on Team BHP.

- After lunch, we watch a movie at home.

- Sometimes me and my dad go for a drive around the city of Trivandrum. No exhilarating or fast drive, but a scenic and soothing one. Most of the time though, we simply sit at home

- Every Sunday in the evening, we religiously wash our Honda City.

- At 6pm, I go to kalarippayattu class and return at 8.

When school starts:

- I wake up earlier than usual, have breakfast and do my academic work and studies till noon.

- After lunch, we watch a movie together. This doesn't change even when school is open.

- I open my books again till around 5. If I'm done with my school work, I either join my father to wash the car or read on Team BHP, after which I have to leave for kalari class.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't follow a fixed routine on Sundays. Sometimes I do something which is totally off this chart, like cycling or going to swim with my friends. This is also a day when I am in the mood to take photos of our car.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img20220724wa0033.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230501_124839.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230501_124648.jpg

At times, I also try my hand at automotive poetry (but fail miserably in doing so):
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20230501_124922.jpg
Quote:
Here's the CITY
Surrounded in serenity
In utmost beauty
Sun-baked, ready to cause a calamity.

It rests,
Waiting to rule the streets
With a stance that beats, this roaring beast.

It's ride is plush
Those who notice it, blush
But do so, in a rush.
Because rush, is what she does.

HONDA CITY. The Rush Of Supremacy.
The point is, as long as I'm occupied and enjoying my Sunday, it doesn't matter what I'm doing
Attached Thumbnails
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20221231_155422.jpg  

CentreOfGravity is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

- Drive to street Idli guy for breakfast at Five Gardens.
- Bath after lunch.
- F1 race in the evening with Pizza.

If not a race weekend I'd just laze around and watch a movie or a good tv series : )
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 17:01   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sundays typically involve going on rides. We wake up as early as possible, around 4:30 in the morning, and meet with our group of riders at 5 near Thiruvanmiyur. From there, we embark on an ECR ride that we often refer to as a "sunrise ride."

After the ride, we have breakfast at A2B in Mamallapuram and then return to Chennai. The rest of the day usually involves washing my cars and bikes, having lunch at new restaurants or the usual biriyani places, and watching a movie at home. Sometimes, I receive a call from a college friend, and we go on a ride together around Chennai, exploring areas such as Boat Club and Loop Road and trying out foods like pani puri and kebab in Royapettah.

Well, when I catch up with my old colleagues, it's usually a battle of who had the funnier or more embarrassing story of the week. We're all a bunch of clowns, so the evening is usually filled with laughter and jokes that make absolutely no sense to anyone else but us. It's a good thing we don't take ourselves too seriously!

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img20180610060648.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20200927_161233.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img20200727wa0032.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20200727_082018.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20200727_074536.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20200214_064846.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20200214_051032.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20190601_060927_1.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20190601_064001.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20190601_064910_1.jpg

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img_20190601_070810.jpg

Our mode of transportation during our catch-up sessions really depends on our mood. Sometimes we prefer the car, while other times we like to feel the wind in our hair with a motorcycle ride. However, in the past couple of months, we've only been using a car. I think it's safe to say that we're not as young as we used to be, and the comfort of a car is starting to appeal to us more than the thrill of a motorcycle ride.
raptor_diwan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 18:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Generally, I like to spend my Sundays out on the road, driving on some fun piece of tarmac or the other (alas, there are such few good ones out of Bombay, but that's another story for another day).

At about 2:30 am on Sunday morning, wide awake, I thought to myself, "when was the last time I did something crazy, like go for a midnight zombie drive?". And so I picked up the keys to the car, and set off for what I thought would be a joyride.

Believe me when I say I have made some very questionable decisions in my life, but this is right up there with the lot of them.

As fate had it, traffic snarls in the ghats heading to Lonavala reached gargantuan portions on Saturday and Sunday. I've been on this route at this time before, but it has never been this bad.

I ended up being stuck in the same spot, not moving an inch for more than an hour, and spent close to 2 hours enjoying (?) the ghats late at night, stretching into dawn. Some were not as lucky, being stuck for hours.

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img7228.jpg
One for the road

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img7229.jpg
Some didn't have a very happy Sunday

Of course, I frittered and wasted the hours in an offhand way that would make Pink Floyd proud, but there was an upside to all this nonsense. I ended up hitting the road leading up to Aamby Valley at about 6:15, and I have never in all these years seen it so empty. To say I had a blast driving that section would be an understatement. Full Sports Plus, full send.

And after all, isn't that what Sundays are meant for?

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-img7237.jpg
iliketurtles is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 19:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

On a Sunday morning I do one of the four things.

Ride 100 kms one way to eat some lip smacking Akuri and Keema with Dosa and Chai

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-50ce492b8a3c4acdba9f568259d2a3d3.jpeg

Do a short city ride

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-5bcad84dc737488ba147c9de6ba4a316.jpeg

Or spend hours cleaning my rides

How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-f97c4b7a09884c81b87a347dc1359471.jpeg

And if I am not doing any of the above then I am catching up on much needed sleep, which is mostly the case these days
SnS_12 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 19:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sundays are precious and therefore its utility is to be maximised by waking up early (and my alarm timings are set for the earliest for this day of the week)

It is usually a day to enjoy two wheeled rides
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-pxl_20220501_021807146.jpg

Or slightly longer rides on two wheels again
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-pxl_20230114_052519576.jpg

The day usually does not involve the four wheeled except for its TLC
How do petrol-heads spend their Sundays?-pxl_20220904_125604226.night.jpg
GeeTee TSI is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed