Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:38   #16
BHPian

re: Critical technologies influencing your vehicle purchases

ADAS - I am of the opinion that the automatic emergency braking(AEB) feature is a must-have feature especially for the highways while the other features under the ADAS suite can be skipped. I am not sure of the technicalities, but if its possible to implement AEB alone without the rest of the ADAS, car manufacturers should pursue the same with a limited premium to make our travel safer. While its good to see newer ADAS cars(Honda Cty Petrol and Hyundai Verna) in the market, there is no single hatch or sub-4m SUV offering ADAS today. So, for someone like me who prefer smaller cars, there is no option today. Hope the technology percolates to lower segments over time and also matures to be effective for Indian traffic conditions.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:43   #17
BHPian

I'd say that the ease-of-use and performance of the infotainment plays a big role, as well as the presence of Android-Auto (no Apple users at home).

For example, one of the main deciding factors between the Toyota Camry and Skoda Superb for us (leaving aside the driving experience) was how usable the systems were on a day-to-day basis. The Camry's was sluggish and confusing to understand and also lacked Android-Auto, which really weighed against it in our decision.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:05   #18
BHPian

I don't need "Internet inside" period. Basic car with the tech designed for safety like Nexon base models. I work in IT hence don't need to tell you how much I hate screens, internet/network etc out of my work.

Last edited by khanmaj : 2nd May 2023 at 16:17.
khanmaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:44   #19
BHPian

For me, it has to be Apple Carplay/Android Auto. It provides great convenience for accessing music and navigating. I also setup my TPMS to display readings on Android Auto screen. It doesn't have to Wireless though. I am happy to plugin the cable.
Old 2nd May 2023, 18:21   #20
BHPian

Great thread. For me, the absolute tech must haves are

1. Fluid Android Auto and Carplay. Doesn't matter how small the screen is. It needs to be stable and responsive. I am completely reliant on maps and can't do without good integration.

2. Steering reach assist - as a tall driver with awkward proportions, reach adjust is mandatory.

3. Safety package - at least 6 airbags, ESP.

Everything else is more a cherry on top as far as I'm concerned.

When I bought my Ecosport five years ago, I barely found any cars in the C segment which ticked these boxes.

Wonder how the situation is in the present market.
qaqa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 19:18   #21
BHPian

Mod note: Avoid quoting entire large post for short replies, affects readability especially on mobile browsers. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Automotive technologies have been evolving significantly since the last decade and it's up to anyone's imagination on how things will be by next decade or even towards the end of this decade.
=====
Attachment 2445787[/center]

Brilliant thread. For me I have some baseline needs which are critical and some wants.

Needs
1. Power steering with reasonable connect and feedback
2. Air conditioning
3. Stereo from the factory.
4. Basic safety features like ABS, Airbags and Disc Brakes

A decent car after 1980s and after does the job for me.

Wants or nice to have features.
1. Maps
2. Ventilated Seats
3. High quality speakers
4. More Safety features like seat belt tensioners, surround camera etc.

Absolutely hate any kind of gimmicks especially if they hamper with reliability of longevity of the car

1. Ambient lighting in million colours, we don't want a dance floor just a car.
2. Unnecessary electrification of things like door handles, handy buttons moving to screen or making buttons into captive touch, cameras instead of mirrors. Recently, companies have started to realise that keeping a camera and a screen turned on all the time takes up as much energy gained from not having the mirrors.
3. Reinventing the steering wheel *cough* *cough* Tesla.
4. Overcomplicating modules like headlights which costs a fortune to replace and therefore results in owners abandoning the car.
5. Huge TV screens
6. Cheap tech is also something that puts me off. For instance a sub ten lakh rupee car coming with a sunroof when the manufacturer should have clearly spent the money on engineering the fundamentals.
7. Subscription models that will inevitably ruins iconic companies like Mercedes.
8. Having assistants inside cars. In the best case scenario they are outdated and otherwise mostly intrusive and downright annoying. Did I mention privacy ?
9. Gear knobs being made into funky little objets that looks like they were discovered from a space civilisation.
10. DPF systems which save the environment for a bit but then offloads the soot at once and kills the car soon.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd May 2023 at 19:28. Reason: Mod note: Avoid quoting entire large post for short replies, affects readability especially on mobile browsers. Thanks.
cefiljoseph is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 19:35   #22
BHPian

Basic Safety Tech is a must for me (ESP, ABS, Hill-hold, Blind Spot warnings, Front Parking sensors, 360 camera, TPMS, Dashcam, Bluetooth for calling)

Heads-up displays and Adaptive Cruise Control will be welcome additions, though i'm not big on full ADAS.

Physical buttons for everything especially AC and Music system (no tablets please).

In-built maps have to be good and accurate, atleast upto 90% of Google maps (the first iterations of TomTom, MapmyIndia and Here maps were pathetic, things are improving now). Yes, i know Android Auto can provide googlemaps but i'm paranoid about Microphone permissions and don't use Google Assistant; everything on Android Auto is moving to voice

Sim provider for connected car services is important. Vi sim may be cheaper for OEM but the network coverage in basements and remote areas is a problem. No point in sending commands to car only to see them fail execution.

One thing that baffles me is that even after 20 years of automotive electronics, we still have an analog gauge for fuel level. Is it so difficult to provide an accurate measure of the amount of fuel left (or is it fear of legal liabilities that is stopping OEMs)

Lastly, whatever be the technology in the car, it should be tested keeping in mind the user experience. Forums are full of user feedback about how they struggle to disable/enable certain features every time the car is started. A frequently used function hidden under 3 layers of menu clicks serves no purpose.
Totoro11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 22:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Critical technologies influencing your vehicle purchases

Nice thread

Tech that will be a must have for me in my next car (even if it is not there in my current daily driver, the X3)

1. Apple CarPlay (preferably wireless car play) - after getting used to CarPlay on the Tiguan, I see that as the biggest miss in the X3 that I have.
2. Automatic Emergency Braking - not there in the X3 but there in the Tiguan
3. Adaptive Cruise Control - have used it only once, in an E450 in Germany, but think it would make highway driving a lot easier
4. Keyless Entry - yet another feature the Tiguan has but the X3 does not
5. Autohold - makes driving an automatic so much easier than having to shift to neutral and put on a parking brake, or holding the car against the pull on the driven wheels
6. Blind Spot detectors - experienced this first in 2014 in Germany on a Volvo - sadly neither the X3 nor the Tiguan has this
7. Voice dialing - yes, I often take conference calls while driving and voice dialing helps you avoid having to pull over before joining a call.

Things I would like to avoid
1. Touch screens for AC Controls - agree fully that physical buttons make this a lot easier
2. Tesla style shifting of mirror, steering position and other controls to a touch screen

Things I am agnostic about
1. Subscriptions - sorry @GTO, but these are coming and will be here to stay. Represent another step towards turning cars into LCC equivalents - with a basic product for those who something cheap and add ins for others
2. Wireless charging - would likely not use this
3. Heads up displays - find them not worth a premium

Of course, I assume any car will have 6 airbags, seat belts, an automatic transmission, automatic headlamps, condition based service, climate control etc
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 23:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would value adaptive suspension (definitely the most de-specced feature for India) as the most sought after feature in my next car. Full suite of ADAS would be next, else atleast a blind spot monitoring system.

Sustainable materials will be nice to have
Old 3rd May 2023, 00:04   #25
BHPian

For India, I would like to see inbuilt dashcams, both in front and back. Or at least an option to quickly hook up dashcams instead of going through tedious process of hooking up. Only this evening, a biker came from wrong direction and almost hit me!

Must have:
* Keyless entry will be convenient
* A decently big screen for navigation especially
* Apple Car-Play or Android Auto compatibility
* Wireless charger
* Good sound system
* A minimalist dashboard

Good to have:
* Adaptive Cruise Control

Not so useful:
* ADAS: I would never trust any algorithm/sensor to save me while driving on Indian roads, NEVER!
* I am also old school, touch controls can be distracting and confusing.

Instead of ADAS, the technology we need in India is taking high-beam control out of driver's control. It should be software controlled depending on factors like incoming traffic, speed and location (geo-fenced). High-beams should be de-activated in urban areas by default using GPS location and also if any incoming traffic is detected. Second best option is to have ONLY low-beams in cars in India, that will save some costs also in this cost conscious country!

Of course, a good engine, transmission, airbags etc. are a given.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 3rd May 2023 at 00:09.
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 03:33   #26
BHPian

Give me a car that doesn’t tell anyone what I’m doing with it. No GPS, no speed governor, etc… just like I like my spouse😂😂

Every other tech that doesn’t squeal on me is good.
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:36   #27
BHPian

I feel like a dinosaur here, with some company though! All I'd like to have in the vehicle is ABS/Airbags/EBD/Best possible Brakes/power windows. If really reliable, then TPMS. Never have driven a Auto too yet!

Things I wont like, I guess, As I have never used them yet:
1) Electronic Parking Brakes.
2) ADAS/Adaptive CC.
3) Subscription services.
4) Tracking services.
5) Connected car and allied gimmickry.
6) Sun roof/moon roof etc.
7) Speed warnings!!

I just want a vehicle which wont breakdown due to some electronic wizardry and wont act on its own like ADAS/Adaptive CC etc does.

I don't drive in the city and my take is if its boring to drive, don't drive...
Old 3rd May 2023, 19:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Creating this thread to discuss one automotive technology which was or is a huge deal breaker with your recent or upcoming vehicle purchase.

In my case, vehicle infotainment is a primary deal breaker.
Since most members have included their thoughts on more than one technology, here are the other deal breakers from my list in addition to infotainment:

EV or Hybrid: I prefer owning a vehicle with ICE as long as i can.

ADAS:I am fine having basic driver assist features like blind spot monitor, automatic emergency braking, rear cross traffic braking on my vehicles but never opt for automated driving features. Even though the technology has advanced tremendously in the last decade, i dont use them even during long drives.

Vehicle tracking:I dont activate any features which tracks my vehicle or driving information and pass on the data to third party or insurance providers.
Old 5th May 2023, 13:46   #29
BHPian

Mine is simple.

I don't want a car with start button or key slot for starting. My primary car has none and I find that a revelation. So from next car onwards, having a start button is a dealbreaker for me.
Old 8th May 2023, 06:33   #30
BHPian

I don't care for any sort of modern tech. I'm happy with fuel injection, power windows, doors etc, and NO touchscreen. Airbags I'll make an exception for, but not essential for me.
AKTransAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks