Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2023, 10:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Citroen C3 Aircross : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post

If they are going to give india the short end of the stick, they might as well not give anything at all
SHORT END OF THE STICK? REALLY?

Is every car sold in India a top end model with all the bells and whistles???

Do all manufacturer offer auto ac from base model in all variants?

What is the percentage of buyers who buy all bells and whistles and those who buy lower mid and mid?

Citroen has a strategy and they are happy with it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd May 2023 at 12:46. Reason: Edited
sagsaw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
SHORT END OF THE STICK? REALLY?

Is every car sold in India a top end model with all the bells and whistles???

Do all manuf offer auto ac from base model in all variants?

What is the percentage of buyers who buy all bells and whistles and those who buy lower mid and mid?

Citroen has a strategy and they are happy with it.
Yes India is receiving the short end of the stick. Customers don't give any thought on whether Citroen is happy with their strategy. They do think about a competitive car that is feature rich.

FACT: Currently, There is no mid-size SUV in India that doesn't have Sunroof, Auto Climate Control, Automatic Transmission, etc. atleast as options

Also FACT: Citroen unveiled the car without marque features in the segment on their own volition. They chose to show a car that in its current state barely a Creta competitor

My opinion: Citroen could have unveiled a top end with all features to get more outreach and bookings but they showed a car with good exterior and with features it can mass-produce currently. It is not a strategy to be happy about.
ComboCutter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 11:53   #33
BHPian

I seriously don't understand the bashing Citroen is being subjected to for C3 aircross. This one is bigger and decently equipped to take on base and mid variants of compact SUVs as well as 7 seaters like Triber and Ertiga. Remember even these do not get Sunroof, ACC or other tech features. Few get only in the top variants. And if C3 aircross is being priced in same range as these base/mid variants then how are they wrong in their strategy? There are many buyers who do not want all the bling and tech features but want a good looking, sturdy car which has all the basics in place.
Knightrider is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:02   #34
BHPian

The first product that came to my mind was Honda Mobilio. Perhaps because that too was based on the Brio/Amaze platform much like the C3 Aircross being based on the C3 hatchback.

However, the Mobilio was a srange product (no offense to any owners) which was more of a 3 row hatchback than a faux-SUV. This one, with its ground clearance and other dimensions seems to be truer to the monicker.

What is of more interest to me (and apologies if I sound ignorant): The Aircross lable that Citroen used for the C5 has one of the best suspension and ride. Does this one have that as well?

IF yes, then Citroen has a serious contender at hand.

Related to the ongoing discussion, all other similar vehicles like Mobilio, Xylo, Lodgy is that all these cars had poor driving dynamics and ride quality. A boxed-up 7 seater is not exactly confidence inspiring behind the wheels or in the second row.

IF Citroen can offer its legendary ride quality in this product, we may actually have some buyers gravitating towards this VFM product. After all, not everyone is comfortable shelling out the price of a Safari/ Alcazar but want a similar product.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComboCutter View Post
Yes India is receiving the short end of the stick. Customers don't give any thought on whether Citroen is happy with their strategy. They do think about a competitive car that is feature rich.

FACT: Currently, There is no mid-size SUV in India that doesn't have Sunroof, Auto Climate Control, Automatic Transmission, etc. atleast as options

Also FACT: Citroen unveiled the car without marque features in the segment on their own volition. They chose to show a car that in its current state barely a Creta competitor

My opinion: Citroen could have unveiled a top end with all features to get more outreach and bookings but they showed a car with good exterior and with features it can mass-produce currently. It is not a strategy to be happy about.
Again same question

Does each and every customer buy a sunroof car or whatever?

Does Creta offer all the features on all variants?

NO

Marqee features? How many percent buy marqee feature equipped cars?

Last edited by sagsaw : 3rd May 2023 at 12:24.
sagsaw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Again same question

Does each and every cistomer buy a sunroof car or whatever?
Taste and preferences are individual. I am contemplating a new car and a sun roof is an absolutely unwanted feature. I don't even get the logic for it in a country like India. And that's my preference - which may be different from the majority.

I loved that this Citroen has tactile not digital buttons for AC. It may seem cheap to others but I find digital buttons annoying and hard to play with while driving.
Spaced Out is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
Taste and preferences are individual. I am contemplating a new car and a sun roof is an absolutely unwanted feature. I don't even get the logic for it in a country like India. And that's my preference - which may be different from the majority.

I loved that this Citroen has tactile not digital buttons for AC. It may seem cheap to others but I find digital buttons annoying and hard to play with while driving.
Exactly the point I am trying to make

Citroen has a strategy and plan and are sticking to it.

Those who find the vehicles suitable they will buy it others will look elsewhere.

I am batting for auto industry as a whole.

Bashing a new automaker for lack of features which 20% people buy is not the right thing.

Last edited by sagsaw : 3rd May 2023 at 12:25.
sagsaw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
There are many buyers who do not want all the bling and tech features but want a good looking, sturdy car which has all the basics in place.
Second that!

TBHP PoV is possibly a puny minority in the Indian market.

Majority of the car owners desire a good looking ( SuVish) people carrier with decent engine and safety ( thankfully, a good number) at a low cost ( and will not bother to pay the premium later when the model turns successful)

The C3 Aircross ticks all those boxes. Citroen does have the novelty factor.

If they manage to price it well, this is going to be a runaway success.
poised2drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Again same question

NO

Dude this car doesn't even have halogen projectors.
And you're kidding yourself if you think Citroen are gonna price this against Ertiga Or Triber. It's being touted as Creta rival which means starting price would be around 12 lakhs ex showroom.
Keeping the sunroof aside, manual AC, flap type door handles, simple halogen bulbs, cheap plastics (because it's derived from C3) scream stupid cost cutting.
blueather is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

If Citreon can bring a decently equipped 7-seater mid-variant of the C3 Aircross a little under the 10 lakh ex-showroom price point, I see a very versatile offering here that can appeal to many segments.
  • Creta Wannabees - Wanting a mid size SUV with grown-up looks, under 10 lakh ex-showrooom. When it was launched, Creata offered great value with an EX petrol model at 9.99 lakhs, but prices have crept up and the relatively barebones EX petrol now starts close to 12 lakhs. Pricing under 10 lakhs offers substantial benefits in terms of lowered road tax in many states, that can result in more than 50K additional road tax savings in on-road prices.
  • Families with small kids - who might appreciate the capacity to seat seven in a pinch.
  • Power-hungry owner-drivers (Also, bhp-ians who will have a better awareness of automobile engine technologies) - who are bored of the ubiquitous 1.5 NA engine from Honda, Maruti and Hyundai, and want the thrill of driving a turbo-charged petrol engine without having to pay a heavy premium. The only options today are the VAG twins and even their prices are well upwards to 12 lakhs ex-showroom for reasonably equipped mid-trims with the 1.0 TSI engine.
  • Those considering a Compact SUV such as the Venue or Sonet - the lowest Turbo petrol Venue is the relatively barebones S(O) IMT costing 10.43 lakhs ex-showroom. Imagine getting a next segment vehicle with decent features at a lower price.
  • Tourist Taxi Operators - The vehicle has the potential to dethrone the Triber as a comfortable 5 seater taxi that can also take 7 at a pinch with luggage loaded on top. The Triber tourist taxi I used recently during a vacation trip was surprisingly comfortable, but pick-up when fully loaded with 5 people and luggage was very poor due to the weazy 1.0 AN engine. It was not cheap to buy, as the operator said it cost over 10 lakhs on-road. Imagine a much more powerful and purposeful looking vehicle with similar versatility for only a little bit higher price.
  • Those who value best in class ride over everything else. Going by how the C5 Aircross performs in terms of the superior, confident, cushy yet well-balanced ride - if Citreon can retain some of that same DNA, this SUV may be the best-in-class in the segment in terms of ride quality. Many customers (especially older ones) value this over everything else and may opt for the Citroen.
  • Those who value exclusivity at a non-exclusive price - Many would want to make a point of owning a "Proper French SUV" to all those neighbours in the society with their Korean Cretas and Seltoses.

All in all, I see potential here for a very successful car, if speced and priced right.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd May 2023 at 13:07.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:09   #41
BANNED

Any mention of when will it be available for test drive?
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

I like what I see in photos till now. Somehow Citroen cars look premium in person, may be due to their good paint quality and designs. This is a good, spacious 5 seater car and good option to Creta, Vitara etc. if priced substantially lower. They should target to launch at 2 lakhs cheaper than Creta, Vitara so that people can think of it. Not sure why they want 7 seater version here. It's really cramped and of no use in reality may be. They should have launched 5 seater version only, so that it could have directly competed with so many cars in market. With 7 seater version, it shows confused approach by company.

IMHO I actually liked the blue car with white roof, looks classy in photos. Need to see it in person though. Overall car looks nice and sturdy.
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueather View Post
Dude this car doesn't even have halogen projectors.
And you're kidding yourself if you think Citroen are gonna price this against Ertiga Or Triber. It's being touted as Creta rival which means starting price would be around 12 lakhs ex showroom.
Keeping the sunroof aside, manual AC, flap type door handles, simple halogen bulbs, cheap plastics (because it's derived from C3) scream stupid cost cutting.
Without knowing the price Citroen would charge for C3 Aircross everyone bashing them is unfair. I don't think they said this car will be a Creta rival. This could rival Ertiga with a more powerful engine, sorted ride, better looks and it's certainly not a tin box. Let's hold our horses till the prices are announced before we conclude anything.
Old 3rd May 2023, 15:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

I might have a deep-seated grudge against Citroën for many reasons, but I have to admit that this car looks stunning, especially in that deep blue paint+white roof combo. The ORVM-mounted turn signals make all the difference. I wish they would carry over those (and the beige interiors) to the C3 too.

I am surprised by the lack of safety features for the segment. The C3 Aircross unveiled simultaneously in Brazil has ISOFIX and three-point belts for all, as do all of its rivals in India including the MY2023 Creta/Seltos. Also don't see side torso/curtain airbag labels despite this being a top variant. Automatic AC would also have been nice, or at least a cleverly disguised unit like the Honda Brio's.

Overall, though, much less of a bombshell than the C3 hatch, but they have some work to do if they want to make it a success. I'm looking for a little more kit for a little less money - at least slightly less than the Creta. I know profits might be thin, but currently their aim should be to get the word going, plus I would be surprised if it's less than whatever they make selling a few hundred units a month.
ron178 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Again same question

NO

To compete in this segment it needs to offer it in the top variants. They couldn't even showcase that they are capable of it in the unveiling.

If feature filled top ends are not selling why is everyone offering it. Even Maruti-Suzuki?

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2023 at 11:21. Reason: Please be respectful while responding to others.
ComboCutter is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks