Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2007, 18:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Evo IX coming to India : Officially

I read this Article in the Print Media about a week back; am surprised nobody brought it up on the Forum > Mitsubishi set to drive in SUVs-India Business-Business-The Times of India

"... the company’s sixth model to hit India roads next year will be a sedan, a high-end version of its existing Lancer .. a sporty sedan called the Lancer Evolution 9, most often referred to as The Evo ... Evo will give a tough ride to Porsche’s Carrera 4S .. ... Evo could go up to Rs 50 lakh to Rs 70 lakh."

Last edited by manveet : 18th July 2007 at 18:41.
Old 18th July 2007, 18:41   #2
BHPian

Could that be a Typo Evo for 50- 70 Lakh, I think it was the CIVIC Killer...!

The Outlander could be in that price segment targetting Porche Cayene, But even then its over priced considering the New Grand Vitara,Endevour,Pajero and Montero segment.
Old 18th July 2007, 18:49   #3
BHPian

50-70 lakhs!@!#! you've GOT to be kidding me!@!@#

i don't see them selling too many cars with that price tag
Old 18th July 2007, 18:57   #4

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

50lakhs for an evo...... when its sold for around 19lac all around the world.
Old 18th July 2007, 18:59   #5
BHPian

Guess we need to add more to the Petition thread for Mitsubishi...!

I don't think they will do any good to remain in the Niche segment considering that Globally Mitsubishi is in Loss, Its time they played the good fight back in India.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

You wonder what the auto journalist was smoking when he compared Evo to Porsche Carrera. No doubt that EVO is amazingly fast and can smoke supercars in a drag but it is a poor man's Porsche so going head to head with Porsche on pricing is not going to get Mitsubishi anywhere.

But then the capability of the journalist should be obvious because the article opened with the line ... Riding high on the success of its existing models in India.

Riding high!!! Not sure about Mitsubishi riding high but the news reporter is definitely high on something.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

I doubt even a die hard Evo fan (like me) would be it for 50 lakhs. 25 lakhs would be the price for it and that is a stretch.

You get a Porsche Boxster for 56 lakhs and though the Evo can go as fast, you can't beat a Porsche for pure snob value.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post

"... the company’s sixth model to hit India roads next year will be a sedan, a high-end version of its existing Lancer .. a sporty sedan called the Lancer Evolution 9, most often referred to as The Evo ... Evo will give a tough ride to Porsche’s Carrera 4S .. ... Evo could go up to Rs 50 lakh to Rs 70 lakh."

I'd rather buy an M3 , Mitsubishi is seriously doing nothing in India . They were once doing very well with their lancer , but when the game got hotter they chickened away from the battle scene.
They should first address the damage caused to their brand with the failure of Cedia . I just hope they dont exit the Indian market the 'Opel' way .

Last edited by maxbhp : 18th July 2007 at 20:13.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:57   #9
BHPian

Surely you can't expect a good word from a Honda user can you...!

Lancer was indeed a hot seller in its time, It smoked the city then...but then left the race all together...when VTEC came along..Mitsubishi should have rushed a MIVEC transplant.

But even today, Lancer is the lancer- It takes all the show from a City, Until you pop the hood.
Old 18th July 2007, 20:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

The EVO should be priced at 20 lacs not 50 lacs. If they intend to sell it at 50lacs, no one would by it. This is damn lame :(.
Old 18th July 2007, 20:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Surely you can't expect a good word from a Honda user can you...!

Lancer was indeed a hot seller in its time, It smoked the city then...but then left the race all together...when VTEC came along..Mitsubishi should have rushed a MIVEC transplant.
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I was only talking about the journalist misquoting the sales numbers etc and there is data right there.

I am a big fan of EVO and Impreza STi and if either of them come to India at a reasonable price, there is a good chance that I will buy them. That is why it hurts even more when one reads about it being launched at 50 to 70 L to compete with Carrera.

I have nothing against Mitsubishi but their strategy in Indian market is brain dead. They aren't taking the market seriously. They are here with HM who can't sell a car as brilliant as Cedia and is now (if the news story is to be believed, which is big IF) thinking of launching EVO at 50L!!!
Old 18th July 2007, 20:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I doubt even a die hard Evo fan (like me) would be it for 50 lakhs. 25 lakhs would be the price for it and that is a stretch.

You get a Porsche Boxster for 56 lakhs and though the Evo can go as fast, you can't beat a Porsche for pure snob value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The EVO should be priced at 20 lacs not 50 lacs. If they intend to sell it at 50lacs, no one would by it. This is damn lame :(.
NO Evo will cost you 20-25 lakhs landed in India. The fully blown Evo IX costs upwards of $35,000/- more realistically $ 40,000/- that would mean the car should cost in the bracket of 30lakhs ++ almost 35lakhs here ex showroom. Depends on what it comes fitted with.
As regards the 50 lakg price tag... the prospective buyers would vanish faster than a Lambo LP 640
Old 18th July 2007, 20:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

An EVO is 35K here. If its imported as a CKD, then the price should be more like 20-25lacs and definitely not 50. If its imported as a CBU then even after factoring in the 120% or so duty, it should not exceed 35 lacs. HM has to be completely crazy to even think of pricing the EVO at 50 lacs.
Old 18th July 2007, 20:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
prospective buyers would vanish faster than a Lambo LP 640
They will have to do a 0-100 in 3.6 secs .
Old 18th July 2007, 20:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the press is bringing all sorts of stories these days!

take half of it and reject the other half.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks