Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 13:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW X1 Petrol now available in M Sport trim; Priced at Rs 48.90 lakh

BMW has announced the launch of a new petrol version of the X1. The SUV is now available in 'sDrive18i M Sport' trim priced at Rs 48.90 lakh (ex-showroom).

BMW X1 Petrol now available in M Sport trim; Priced at Rs 48.90 lakh-bmw-x1.jpg

The sDrive18i M Sport is positioned at the top of the X1 range in India. The SUV features a larger kidney grille flanked by Adaptive LED headlamps that have integrated L-shaped LED daytime running lights. The new X1 also gets redesigned front and rear bumpers, new door handles and reprofiled LED taillights.

Inside, the X1 sDrive18i M Sport comes with an M leather steering wheel, stainless steel pedals, Aluminium mesh effect trim and Anthracite roof lining. The car is equipped with Active Seats with massage functions in the front and rear seats that can be mechanically moved forward or backwards by up to 130 mm.

Other features offered in the X1 sDrive18i M Sport include a 10.7-inch touchscreen infotainment system and a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster, Parking Assistant with Reversing Assistant, a head-up display and a Harmon Kardon audio system.

The BMW X1 sDrive18i M Sport is powered by a 1.5-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that makes 132 BHP @ 4,400-6,500 rpm and 230 Nm @ 1,500-4,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission with shift paddles.

Bookings for the BMW X1 sDrive18i M Sport are now open. Deliveries will commence in June.

Link to Team-BHP News

Mod Note: Our BMW X1 Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2023 at 15:11. Reason: Link to review added
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 13:47   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 Petrol now available in M Sport trim; Priced at Rs 48.90 lakh

Who would have thought a time will come when an announcement/speculation about Hyundai Creta N line with 1.5 L turbo petrol engine will generate more excitement than the launch of a BMW X1 M Sport! Strange times indeed!

Last edited by Geta : 4th May 2023 at 13:51.
Geta is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 15:10   #3
BHPian

Remind me again how EVs are overpriced.
lina is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 15:49   #4
BHPian

M Sport trim beemer that's slower than a Hyundai Verna. Nice.

Next I want a Mercedes that is uglier than a Chinese car from 5 years ago.
Oh wait! The New E dropped a few days back.
veedub89 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 16:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Everyone thought the diesels were underpowered so the petrol variant will make up for it. And bam, BMW drops the 130hp "M sport". The ultimate driving machine, for enthusiasts who want to struggle to overtake Tata Nexons and XUV300s. Forget Mercedes and Audi, this thing won't even keep up with the Taigun/Kushaq.
Cresterk is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 16:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is brand dilution at its finest. If every car is an M-sport, then no car is.

Times change, designs change, preferences change. I get it. But this is just another example of how “The Ultimate Driving Machine” as we knew it is largely in the rearview mirror. Only a few of their cars truly epitomise that philosophy to the fullest, like the full-fat ///M cars.

And it's not even about the definitive sedan manufacturer making cars like...this. Honestly, BMW makes excellent SUVs. Think of the X3, X5, X7, and iX. This just flies in the face of all of them, and BMWs of yore. This isn't even sportier than its predecessor, forget its ancestors.

Modern BMWs are just straying ever further from the light, and this is just another example. More tech, more features, more space. But more Joy? Fuhgetaboutit.

Sheer Driving Pleasure? When you see a Hyundai Verna laughing as it peels past? Where's the Joy in that?
iliketurtles is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 18:42   #7
BHPian

This is where I feel respect for manufacturers like Porsche who don't launch cars in categories that dilutes the brand.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th May 2023 at 19:08. Reason: Kindly quote a post only when necessary.
cefiljoseph is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 22:54   #8
BHPian

50+ Lac for a 3 pot 130 BHP car. What BMW is thinking with this launch? I understand the reason might be CAFE norms, but even Mercedes has enough powered engines in their entry level cars, as well as having an AMG line-up on offer.

X1 used to be the aspirational car, for first time BMW buyers. Even I liked it so much when there was the xDrive available.

Forget the Q3 and GLA, the Verna, VW/Skoda 1.5 cars and even the 5 year old X1s will pass this on highways.
ProLearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 02:06   #9
BHPian

Fondly remembering the good old days when we were pooh poohing the 400 Nm 220d and the Quattro Q2 for making a mockery of their brands *shudders*
Iyencar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 03:09   #10
BHPian

Ah! 130hp 3-pot FWD Crossover? What am I talking about? M-sport Bimmer or T-GDi XUV 300?

Its a shame that X1 specs now matches entry level crossover. Even the Mahindra Thar petrol makes more power than X1 Petrol! What's wrong with BMW?
Mach_1590 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 07:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
This is brand dilution at its finest. If every car is an M-sport, then no car is.
Are any of the M-Sport BMWs in India different from the regular car in terms of performance? Or is it always just a cosmetic package with performance underneath?
Old 5th May 2023, 08:51   #12
BHPian

Will look good when parked. One can flaunt their BMW

Not sure if this just to do something or they thought and knew there are people who want to park BMWs at their homes.
Old 5th May 2023, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Are any of the M-Sport BMWs in India different from the regular car in terms of performance? Or is it always just a cosmetic package with performance underneath?
As far as I know, no. They just offer cosmetic accoutrements as part of it. Fenders, spoilers, bumpers, side skirts, mirror covers, blacked out bits, that kinda stuff. The performance is similar to the variant otherwise, such as a non M-sport 520d/330i versus its M-sport brethren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefiljoseph View Post
This is where I feel respect for manufacturers like Porsche who don't launch cars in categories that dilutes the brand.
Actually, I'd say otherwise. Porsche is one of the few that have managed to do so while staying true to their ethos, and not diluting the brand.

There was lots of early resistance when they launched the Macan, Cayenne, and Panamera, with purists wailing about how they're not real Porsche's. But they have managed to win over most doubters because they've distilled the Porsche persona into these cars to a great degree in a way that is unique to them, and used the money they generate to double down and make even more sports cars. So respect to them on that front.
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 15:06   #14
BHPian

48.90 Ex showroom for a 3 cylinder 130 bhp BMW X1. This got me thinking " If I had 50L to blow on car purchase, what would I do ?

Toyota Hyrider Hybrid V variant - Ex showroom - 18 L. Fuel efficiency & reliability for city commutes - Check

Hyundai Verna SX-DCT - Ex showroom - 16L. A fun to drive fast comfortable sedan for those lovely highway drives - Check

Thar Petrol 4x4 AT - Ex showroom - 14L. Weekend offroad fun and go anywhere capability - Check

All this totals to 48L with another 2L pocket change left for some nice accessories for all three cars.

Not sure what is being smoked at BMW

Last edited by columbus : 5th May 2023 at 15:09.
columbus is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 14:19   #15
BHPian

Everything looks great, they just forget to add engine. Wish, they introduce a powerful petrol engine later on. I will surely consider buying it as my daily driver.
Anki_252hp is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks