Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Fantasy & futuristic features you wish your car had

At some point, I'm sure most of us have thought of some innovative features, that, if they made their way into cars, would be amazing. As a kid, I used to think of many such features (some of which have materialised today) and would yearn to share my ideas with like-minded enthusiasts. However, most of my friends then weren't enthusiasts, so I ended up keeping all those ideas to myself. Now that I am a BHPian, I can finally share them, and also read others' ideas. So, feel free to share all those bright and interesting innovative features that you've been storing in your brain all this while!

Kindly note:
- Please avoid existing features that you want to see standardized in cheaper cars. For example, having a certain Merc feature in an Alto.
- They must be innovative or useful.
- You can build up on existing features. For example, point 3 of my list.

Here are my ideas:

1. Spick and span - Wipers which clean the ENTIRE windshield, and not just the driver's and co-driver's view. It would be just perfect for those with OCD, like me

2. Point and shoot – How many times has it happened that you want to honk at a person, say, behind you and when you do so, the one ahead gets annoyed? That is where a 360 degree horn comes into play. You should be able to select a vehicle and honk in that direction. If the car is advanced enough, the horn should play through the selected car’s speakers, so that others aren't irritated unnecessarily. Quite difficult to materialize I agree, but nothing is impossible right!

3. Lightning quick - Many cars these days come with a wireless charger, but they are painfully slow to charge and heat up your phone. Car makers should provide a solution to charge your phone faster without overheating it. It may not be innovative, but is certainly useful. IMO, a slow wireless charger is as good as no wireless charger.

4. Driver drowsiness alert pro max - There should be different levels of alerting in this system. If the driver is only slightly drowsy, it should beep as it normally would. If the driver continues to be drowsy, water should be sprinkled on his/her face. It should be made available even in cars without ADAS too.

5. Not belted? No ride – All cars today come with seat belt reminders, some even having reminders for rear occupants. This feature should be ‘pro max-ed’ – the vehicle should refuse to move until all occupants are belted. Also, the buckles must be able to reject other belts (which are available on e-commerce platforms to shut the reminder off) and accept only the one which is assigned to it.

Please feel free to criticise any feature posted by me or other members if they don’t seem reliable or fool proof. When you do so, please make sure to elaborate why it isn’t viable and provide a better alternative or a solution for that feature to work properly.

These were my ideas, now it’s your turn!

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2023 at 23:55. Reason: Adding a touch of formatting :)
CentreOfGravity is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 23:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fantasy & futuristic features you wish your car had

I had a (very old) running list, so sharing it here:

SAFETY

(Forced) Good habits
A mobile phone that only lets you unlock it while the vehicle's handbrake is engaged. This prevents phone usage while the car is in motion, or even usage at very low speeds / in situations you might not realise your car has begun to creep forward.

Panic br...honking
In most panic situations, humans aren't quick enough to do everything required for the best outcome. Eg. brake hard, turn, downshift, honk to alert what's ahead of you, etc. An automatic rapid-fire honk on panic braking might be a good idea to alert those around (similar to how some cars rapid-flash/strobe their brake lights on emergency braking).

Speed sensitive horn
We have speed sensitive music volume, so why not the same for the horn? When I'm inching forward in traffic, I need just 80 decibels of a gentle peep to tell the Uber right beside me that he's getting too close. A softer and less piercing beep is best for the job. However, when I'm barrelling down the highway at 100 km/h and I see a stray dog lustfully looking at his lady friend across the road, I want the full power of an air-shredding 145 decibels to shake him out of his skin and back to reality before he tries to run across the road.

Speed sensitive headlight throw
We all know, higher speed = higher stopping distance = the further you should be looking ahead when driving. At night that's kind of hard when your headlights' low-beams are only aimed a fixed number of meters in front of you. If they 'looked up' a bit more at higher speeds, that would be nice.

Budget active aero
This one's a bit stupid; but imagine using drag from open windows to affect turning and braking. Basically your power windows are the poor man's active aero

CONVENIENCE

Quiet hours
Not so keen to wake up the entire neighborhood with your car's beep-beep locking alert when you get back home at 3am? How about quiet hours (eg. 10PM - 8AM) where the 'notification' volume is either greatly reduced or muted.

Reliable face/fingerprint unlock
Every 15,000+ Rupee smartphone has this, why not 10,00,000 Rupee cars?
You might say this one is pointless with keyless entry... but imagine not even having to carry a key (or a phone).

Indicators that turn on automatically
Google maps knows where you're going, so maybe it should also have the courtesy to inform the others on the road by announcing upcoming turns automatically - by activating the indicators for you.

Water & idiot proof sunroof
Existing rain sensors (used for auto wipers) could sense when there's a bit of a sprinkle and then automatically close the windows/sunroof if they've accidentally been left open.

Irritating indicators
Indicators that click louder and louder if they've been left on for >30 seconds while the vehicle is in motion... (more of a requirement on bikes, since bike indicators don't shut off automatically after a turn is made). This would prevent the ever-flashing variety of vehicles on the road, who you so patiently stay behind because you're expecting them to make a sudden right-turn, but it never happens - and then you realise they don't know that their indicator is on!

----

Note: For existing features that you wish your model/variant came with, use this thread instead.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2023 at 23:59.
Rehaan is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 00:26   #3
BHPian

The Bose developed suspension on my Honda City. For a car driven 99% of the time in Bombay, that would be dreamy. Just imagine cruising through Andheri Ghatkopar Link Road at a steady 40Kmph.

Reference:

Last edited by revsperminute : 5th May 2023 at 00:28. Reason: Link didn’t load
revsperminute is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 09:41   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

This could be themed as a gag post for my Vento but here we go:

1) Better headlights - projector LEDs because the cut-off design is horrible on my stock reflector LED setup
2) 2.5 R5 TDI PD instead of the 1.5 R4 TDI - I have 99 problems but having more than 4 cylinders isn't one
3) Self-cleaning energy windshield - much like the one in Republic Commando:

4) 8-speed DSG from the Touareg with a low range transfer case - I know, I am asking for too much
5) Magnetic suspension with 200mm+ ground clearance
6) Service center that keeps the car clean and doesn't fiddle with your mods

I guess if it cannot be fit, it is a fantasy, right? Right?
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 10:35   #5
BHPian

Hi, my take on this interest & important thread:

1. Factory fitted front & rear Dashcam with minimum 256GB storage
2. LED headlight with option to change the light colour from white to yellow & vice versa. This will be useful in foggy condition
3. Mandatory front Collison breaking system in all cars to avoid crashing during fog or in case front vehicle stopped abruptly
4. Factory fitted hidden GPS tracking device with minimum 3 months battery backup
5. Height adjustable suspension system in sedan to increase ground clearance by 20mm with a single button
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:02   #6
BHPian

I know I am dreaming. But the one thing I want is auto cleaning paint surface, or at least automatic car cover application. Just want the car cover to apply itself over the car at the click of a button from the keyfob.

Also, a pressure cum vacuum feature to clean the car internals would be nice to have!
rangarx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:14   #7
BHPian

Something like this as seen in the Bahubali movie so that we can keep the autos/2-wheelers at bay.

Name:  bb.png
Views: 377
Size:  302.9 KB
where_to_next is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 11:16   #8
BHPian

Wipers for the Side view mirrors as well have windows. It becomes very difficult to even see the side view mirrors during excessive rain, I know there are heated side view mirrors, but it only solves half of the problem.

Factory fitted dashcams are also a must which covers both rear and front view.
nisshith is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:33   #9
BHPian

The ability for the car to drive itself in heavy bumper to bumper traffic.

I know self driving cars are on the way, but they seem so far off this feature is certainly a fantasy today.
Old 5th May 2023, 12:34   #10
BHPian

1. A gentle reminder if the windows are not fully closed when I turn on the AC. I have faced this challenge a couple of times; rolled down windows, rolled up windows (but missed rolling them all the way up) that left a gap and then wondering why the AC is not cooling the car!

2. Auto sensing AC that reads total occupants in the car and adjusts air flow intensities.
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 13:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Lovely (dreamy) suggestions! Here are my additions

Proper wipers & washers for the rear window, no step motherly treatment over the front windshield

AC vent position to cool my face and not my hands - prefer one near the sun visor

Mandatory key fob slot somewhere in the interior, should not be allowed to rattle away if one decides to place it there

Temperature based tyre pressure read out (if I am low in a hot tyre, I need to be told by what margin I should top up the hot tyre)

This one is dedicated to commercial vehicles - warning similar to an elevator in case of overload, no option but to bring down the payload
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
2. Point and shoot – How many times has it happened that you want to honk at a person, say, behind you and when you do so, the one ahead gets annoyed? That is where a 360 degree horn comes into play. You should be able to select a vehicle and honk in that direction. If the car is advanced enough, the horn should play through the selected car’s speakers, so that others aren't irritated unnecessarily.
I seem to recall Richard Hammond announcing a car-to-car messaging service offered by a company on an old Top Gear episode. I guess your idea would be along those lines.

Quote:
4. Driver drowsiness alert pro max - There should be different levels of alerting in this system. If the driver is only slightly drowsy, it should beep as it normally would. If the driver continues to be drowsy, water should be sprinkled on his/her face.
Such technology already exists in quite a few high end cars although they are mostly of the electrically shocking nature intended for a rude awakening if the beeping fails. In fact, some aftermarket brands too make such contraptions calling them as driver anti-sleep alertness devices.

Quote:
5. Not belted? No ride – All cars today come with seat belt reminders, some even having reminders for rear occupants. This feature should be ‘pro max-ed’ – the vehicle should refuse to move until all occupants are belted.
This one can be a bit risky. God forbid but let us say that you are running from an assailant or you need to get to a hospital fast. Precious seconds can be lost trying to wear the seat belt before the car can move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
A mobile phone that only lets you unlock it while the vehicle's handbrake is engaged. This prevents phone usage while the car is in motion, or even usage at very low speeds / in situations you might not realise your car has begun to creep forward.
This can be really dangerous. Imagine a situation where you need to get to a hospital quickly but do not know the exact location of or the exact route to the nearest one despite having a knowledge of the general direction of one. Precious seconds can be lost in such situations.

Quote:
Panic br...honking
In most panic situations, humans aren't quick enough to do everything required for the best outcome. Eg. brake hard, turn, downshift, honk to alert what's ahead of you, etc. An automatic rapid-fire honk on panic braking might be a good idea to alert those around (similar to how some cars rapid-flash/strobe their brake lights on emergency braking).
I do not recall the exact car makes/models but this does exist on quite a few European cars amongst others.

Quote:
Reliable face/fingerprint unlock
Every 15,000+ Rupee smartphone has this, why not 10,00,000 Rupee cars?
You might say this one is pointless with keyless entry... but imagine not even having to carry a key (or a phone).
This one can be dangerous too. Face and fingerprint scanners/sensors cannot be considered as definitely reliable. Imagine an acid attack victim trying to unlock her car with her face in order to reach the nearest hospital quickly. My son has faced an issue numerous times when his smartphone and laptop do not unlock due to the skin on his fingers being wrinkled from exposure to water/sweat after exercising and/or taking a bath. Moreover, one can simply lift your fingerprints off of your home's main door to access your car. So the risks of this feature definitely outweigh the benefits.

Quote:
Indicators that turn on automatically
Google maps knows where you're going, so maybe it should also have the courtesy to inform the others on the road by announcing upcoming turns automatically - by activating the indicators for you.
It is common knowledge that Google Maps is not exactly always accurate in India. There have been quite a few instances where it has led us to a dead end, an unintended waterbody or generally astray. Now imagine a situation where you intend to go right but Google Maps activates the left indicator of your vehicle for the tailgating vehicle behind you. The results can be catastrophic to say the least.

If you all found any of the above offensive in any way then please accept my apologies for playing the devil's advocate.

Speaking of fantasy features, my first recollection of an automobile was my Grandfather's Landmaster car more than half a century ago. I recall wishing it had a cabin heater for the cold months in our nondescript corner of North-Eastern India
Now I stay in Kolkata where it is mostly hot most of the year and own a first generation 2017 petrol Creta. Ventilated seats were a fantasy for me but my son added those courtesy of Aliexpress. I wanted a cheap portable power storage/generation option for car camping and my son made that happen DIY style. I had a fantasy of cooking my own meals on trips and my son got got me a 12 volt electric cooker courtesy of Ebay. I had a fantasy of running high speed blower fans in my car when the engine was off during car camping and my son made that a reality. I dreamt of being able to access cheap potable water on long car camping trips and my son made that happen by making/converting a DIY portable water purification system. I dream of being able to take a bath anywhere in nature while car camping. My son is currently in the process of making a DIY 3-in-1 shower, health faucet and car pressure washer combination. I wished that I had a setup like a kitchen chimney for cooking inside my car while it was raining outside and my son made that happen. I have a fantasy of getting a low power 12 volt car induction stove and my son is currently making one DIY style from nearly scratch. Let me see what other fantasies I can come up with and I believe that my son can make those happen
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing for my car (don't want be selfish) but I wish other cars have a driver seat that gives mild to moderate electric shocks to the driver anytime he/she is being nasty to other road users :-)
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:16   #14
BHPian

I would like something to solve the issue of lunatics who drive with high beams on in the city, maybe something like hack into their audio system and play full blast rock music or play the most irritating noise with full volume. At least then maybe some sense will get into their brains.
puntra800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

1) The ability to phase through other vehicles.

2) A pair of giant lasers (enough to melt their eyes) that would automatically point at the eyes of drivers/riders that drive/ride with misaligned or extremely bright headlights. Goes for both opposite-side and anyone on the rear.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks