Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2023, 17:56   #16

Re: Honda deletes parking lights from their new cars

Funny that it strikes me now when you say it. Have observed the same on my 2019 Civic. I used to think it's because I leave the fog lights on too, but in a few seconds after you lock the car, everything switches off.

Pity those spaceship-like tail lights and side marker lamps don't stay on as parking lights!
I_am_TSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 10:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The other day I was trying to switch on the parking lights of the City Hybrid. The lights come on as intended but as soon as I lock the car and walk away they shutdown.

How do you leave the parking lights on the City Hybrid, anyone tried this.
Hi, I am not sure about City Hybrid, but in my KIA Sonet, it works the following way:

1. Turn ON the position lamp(as Kia calls it) after the engine is turned OFF
2. Open the door
3. Close the door
4. Turn OFF the position lamp
5. Turn ON the position lamp

Now even if you open the door, step out and lock the car, the position lamp stays ON.

PS: Not sure why they have kept it so complicated though..

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2023 at 12:34. Reason: Edited
Old 10th May 2023, 10:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Try opening the driver's door and then turning the stalk from auto to off and then to parking position. Make sure the foglamps are off. This is the only way to make them stay on in my hyundai after locking the car, until the battery discharge protection turns them off after hours. Basically the system needs to know that you have purposefully left the lights on instead of forgetting about it.

But if Honda has coded this part out, use the Hazard lights. It will stay on till the battery dies.
Old 10th May 2023, 11:34   #19
BHPian

I knew this was coming some day. Try to turn on parking lights in new Marutis with your vehicle off, the MID will throw warning that the lights are ON.

Yes, I know my lights are ON, and no matter how many warnings and beeps you give me; I'M NOT GOING TO LEAVE MY CAR PARKED SOMEWHERE IN THE DARK WHERE ANOTHER DRIVER CANNOT SPOT IT. THE PARKING LAMP STAYS ON!

In the age of LED lights, I don't know how much battery they are trying to save.😒
Old 10th May 2023, 11:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Quote:

I am.unaware of any vehicle worldwide that has its parking lights switch off once the vehicle is locked.

Pure callous attitude on Honda's part.
Can you try one thing please? If not done already.

If headlight has an auto mode, move the switch to manual headlight mode and then turn off the vehicle, lock the doors. Let us know how long the headlight stays on and parking lights if they stay on afterwards.

I used to do this for Mk1 Verna.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 10th May 2023 at 11:38.
Old 10th May 2023, 11:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Can you try one thing please? If not done already.

If headlight has an auto mode, move the switch to manual headlight mode and then turn off the vehicle, lock the doors. Let us know how long the headlight stays on and parking lights if they stay on afterwards.

I used to do this for Mk1 Verna.
Doesn't work. Lights switch off after 15 seconds delay after locking the car.

The only way they remain on is to keep the car unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger2106 View Post
Hi, I am not sure about City Hybrid, but in my KIA Sonet, it works the following way:

1. Turn ON the position lamp(as Kia calls it) after the engine is turned OFF
2. Open the door
3. Close the door
4. Turn OFF the position lamp
5. Turn ON the position lamp

Now even if you lock the car, the position lamp stays ON.

PS: Not sure why they have kept it so complicated though..
How do you turn the position light off and on after you close the door.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th May 2023 at 14:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 10th May 2023, 11:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
How do you turn the position light off and on after you close the door.
You should step out of the car only after step 5
Stranger2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should step out of the car only after step 5
For that you will have to open and close the door again and lock it again. The moment you lock the car the lights switch off.

The only way which will work for the City is by training your Dog to switch on the parking lights after you lock the poor guy inside the car
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:

The only way which will work for the City is by training your Dog to switch on the parking lights after you lock the poor guy inside the car
. I just can't understand why they don't provide simple parking light switches like in early days.

But I do believe there should be some way to leave the lights ON. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Old 10th May 2023, 12:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I just can't understand why they don't provide simple parking light switches like in early days.

But I do believe there should be some way to leave the lights ON. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
The switch exists and works as intended as long as you don't lock the car and walk away. In Honda's understanding the word parking means, park the car with you also being parked inside the car and dont lock yourself in. Keep yourself vulnerable with unlocked doors and stay put to protect the car.

There is no way to fix it. I have it in writing from Honda. It's actually a bug. They are switching off the parking lights alongwith the headlights off delay timer settings.

The ECU code just needs to be tweaked for a small change and it would be sorted, but Honda refuses to even acknowledge the issue.

Last edited by Traveler : 10th May 2023 at 12:29.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:26   #26
BHPian

Honda trying to pass this bug off as a feature!

@Traveler have you tried this:
  • Turn off engine, turn on the parking light
  • Open the door
  • Press the door sensor switch to trick the car into thinking it is closed, and then lock the car
  • Wait for parking lights to go off
  • Toggle it off and then on again
  • Step out of the car
  • While pulling on the handle, shut the door
Old 10th May 2023, 12:54   #27
BHPian

I reached out to honda about this and there being no way to switch-off engine and shift to accessory mode except pressing the button 3 times. Their reply was standard after careful testing we decided on this behavior

I loathe keyless systems in car, with key based systems it was damn simple to either switch off the car completely or keep it in accessory.
Automatic variants do go into accessory mode by pressing brake and switching off but nothing for manuals. Pathetic !

I now use hazards when parked in low visibility or close to road which I believe might be better than just parking lights, but it should not have been forced on me.
Old 10th May 2023, 13:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
For someone who uses parking lights religiously this is a shocker. Parking lights are an important safety feature as they improves visibility of your car for other road users in dark/night conditions when parked on the side of the road, especially if it's a darker coloured car. So it makes no sense for honda to remove it. If it was designed to conserve battery then they should have opted for the VW route of enabling lights on flanks only via the indicator stalk.
Aren't hazard lights meant to do exactly the same? That is improve the visibility for other road users while the car is parked on the road side irrespective of the colour of the car?

I don't remember the last time I have used the parking lights while parking on the side of the road. I always use the hazard lights. Can't even think of a use case scenario these days where I would need the parking lights on after the car has been locked and I have moved away.

For all we know Honda must've done this because of people forgetting to turn off their headlights (far way too many instances) and draining the battery dead.
I personally find it much more convenient when my car switches off the headlights after I lock it. In a couple of my cars - it gives an alarm that the headlight is ON (though not entirely sure whether all cars have it)

Last edited by samyakmodi : 10th May 2023 at 13:49.
samyakmodi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 14:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Aren't hazard lights meant to do exactly the same? That is improve the visibility for other road users while the car is parked on the road side irrespective of the colour of the car?
Hazard lights are there to inform the other vehicles around you on the road that something untoward had happened to your car and as a result you are stopping on the road or suddenly slowing down. For example, you are cruising on the fast lane and suddenly your engine gives upon you and you have no choice to pullover but to stop on the said lane, then you use the hazard light. It prevents you from becoming a hazard for other road users.

On the other hand the parking lights are used when you have parked on the side of the road when its dark, especially if its somewhere less lit. For example, I frequent this small shop run by a friend for groceries. Its in the side of a narrow road and in a turn and the street light there had conked off eons ago. I would park it on the side of the road, turn on the parking lights and go to the shop. And I will have the peace of mind that other drivers will be able to notice my Grey car parked there since its parking lights are turned on. Simple.

Last edited by corvus corax : 10th May 2023 at 14:29.
Old 10th May 2023, 14:46   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
It's not a programming bug, the same behavior exists on the CRV as well, on all international versions. It's designed to preserve battery life where people mistakenly leave lights on. As per Honda, if you need lights after locking, you need to use the hazard blinkers to let others know.
I would like to keep my parking lights on if I have to stop for a short time For eg, taking a short loo break on the highway. I would also use the hazard lights in addition to the parking lights to increase the visibility of my car, regardless of what Honda wants to say. Just imagine a car with clear red tail lights and hazard signal on a pitch dark highway. Now compare that to just blinking orange lights. With regards to my safety, I would want the former arrangement.

If Honda stays oblivious to this fact and markets it's bug as a 'feature' to save battery, then I will need to keep the headlamp on as well- totally defeating their argument by further draining the battery.

Quote:
The other day I was trying to switch on the parking lights of the City Hybrid. The lights come on as intended but as soon as I lock the car and walk away they shutdown.
Can the OP confirm if the headlights remain on after locking the car?

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th May 2023 at 14:48.

Most Viewed