Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 01:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Pardon my ignornace, but, who is Sumantran?
The Ex Exec Director of TATA Motors.
Old 21st July 2007, 01:24   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If I had something to complain about, it was that their learning curve was a bit longer than one would've required, and that their new product development curve is a lot longer than what is sustainable in a competitive environment.
You know this guy I was talking to was pretty bitter about this complain. When I said that people think that their products are still not "there" somehow he was saying "see how the toyotas and hondas and even hyundais of today evolved. they are in this business since decades. nobody ever knows how their cars were earlier." according to him some of the japanese manufacturers took 20 years or more to learn the tricks. others like daewoo took the shortcut and tagged on to some biggie. still they took more than 15 years to make decent cars. he was like "we took a conscious decision that we wanted to develop our own technology and perfect it here. we also wanted to keep things affordable and hence our chairman decided to take the steeper learning curve. however we have reached a stage much better than what these big names did in twice the time." i could almost feel the pain in his voice somehow. the poor chap was sounding very convincing though. and he was punctuating every sentence with "i know customer has the right to ask for the best. afterall they are spending their money but we are not keeping our eyes closed either. we take feedbacks very seriously."

he also suggested that even the existing Xeta owners can expect a correction at the service station level if the engine check light problem was found to be occuring due to some technical fault.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st July 2007 at 01:27.
Old 21st July 2007, 01:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
You know this guy I was talking to was pretty bitter about this complain. When I said that people think that their products are still not "there" somehow he was saying "see how the toyotas and hondas and even hyundais of today evolved. they are in this business since decades. nobody ever knows how their cars were earlier." according to him some of the japanese manufacturers took 20 years or more to learn the tricks. others like daewoo took the shortcut and tagged on to some biggie. still they took more than 15 years to make decent cars. he was like "we took a conscious decision that we wanted to develop our own technology and perfect it here. we also wanted to keep things affordable and hence our chairman decided to take the steeper learning curve. however we have reached a stage much better than what these big names did in twice the time." i could almost feel the pain in his voice somehow. the poor chap was sounding very convincing though. and he was punctuating every sentence with "i know customer has the right to ask for the best. afterall they are spending their money but we are not keeping our eyes closed either. we take feedbacks very seriously."

he also suggested that even the existing Xeta owners can expect a correction at the service station level if the engine check light problem was found to be occuring due to some technical fault.
This is so so right! Infact, this particular post of yours can be shown to everyone who starts bashing Tata without much fore studies. Even as late as the 80's the japanese (excluding Honda's) were looked down upon.
Old 21st July 2007, 20:30   #34
BHPian

Hmm. Looks like a Tata could be a good buy after all, I'll be buying a car shortly and I had removed the Xeta from the shortlist because I PERCEIVED it to be something that'll fall apart in a couple of years - despite it being the biggest AND cheapest in its segment!
My purchase decision is getting increasingly difficult - I want the low end torque and service of Santro, build and space of Palio, and looks of the spark - at the price of the Indica Xeta! [] Any advice?
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:59   #35
BHPian

[quote=Steeroid;506735]I believe he left because he was more of a technical chap than an administrator/manager. They needed someone to take the company forward, not someone that knew his engine-vengines.

He was bought into the compnay for his technical expertise...not for adminstration....Thus he was posted at the pune plant and not at 'Bombay House'..He was there to ensure the product development moved in the right direction...As far as his exit/removal is concerned its an different story...Lets just say it was not a perfect marriage among the top management.
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

When he moved it was speculated that Ratan Tata was none too pleased with the slow progress on the Future Tata Models. I remember having read an article where he conceded that their new product development was lagging behind and needed to be speeded up.

The Next 12-18 months should see a lot of action fronm the Tata Fiat Stable. The New Safari with 2.2 lt engine, New IndiXX series, New Sumo, the 1 lakh Rupee car, the Grande Punto and Linea. That should shake the market some. Can anticipate price cuts in the B+ and C segments especially the Diesels. The likes of Mahindra Renault, Ford and Hyundai will have to respond fast or concede marketshare. Only Maruti seems to be on strong ground with a the Swift and SX4 having a strong demand, logical pricing and the manesar plant churning out larger numbers to meet the growing demard of these models.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The Next 12-18 months should see a lot of action fronm the Tata Fiat Stable. The New Safari with 2.2 lt engine, New IndiXX series, New Sumo, the 1 lakh Rupee car, the Grande Punto and Linea.
Wat about the Crossover? I heard it is due in 2008. Does anyone know about this development.

AFAK, Crossover is an Innova kinda vehicle, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:07   #38
BHPian

great info......zappo...so any news of the tata safari 2.2
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Wat about the Crossover? I heard it is due in 2008. Does anyone know about this development.

AFAK, Crossover is an Innova kinda vehicle, correct me if I am wrong.
Crossover has independent rear suspension. It also has 4X4 option.
Both features are missing in Innova.
Otherwise, yes, there is some passing resemblance between the two.
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wasn't that why V Sumantran went?
If the press reports are to be believed, the delay in the development and introduction of the Indigo and Marina was the reason behind Sumantran's exit. Don't know if that's true or not since a lot of trash appears in the press.

But yes, there was an undue delay in the introduction of the Indigo and Marina. That too when the differences among the cars were minimal.
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

Yesterday I had an interesting chat with a senior quality manager from TAMO pune. He was at our office with prior appointment to interview my friend on his experience and perception with his 4 months old Xeta. Here's some of the things he says they are doing,
  • He acknowledged that the Engine Check Light issue looks a regular bugbear and they are already sorting it out at the factory level. All Xeta owners can expect some retrofitments and corrections at the dealership level as soon as the issue is cured.
I too had a "small" bitter experience with my Safari Dicor LX. The second month after delivery one fine day morning the ‘Check Engine’ light started to blow and pressing the Accelerator had no effect on engine rpm.

As I am new to a diesel engine- that too a Microprocessor based one, called the nearest Tata Authorized service center. The engineer (An engineer had accompanied the regular mechanic) found that its due to the dust accumulation on the “Crank angle sensor” (The "crank angle sensor" is mapped to the ECU to determine the piston position in order to pump-in the right amount of fuel). They cleaned the sensor with some cotton in few minutes.

The information the engineer shared with me created more panic- The issue is common in all Tata vehicle with DICOR. No idea when Tata can get a workaround to fix it. I think I should get a clear idea on how to do the "crank angle sensor cleaning" LOL!
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Crossover has independent rear suspension. It also has 4X4 option.
Both features are missing in Innova.
Otherwise, yes, there is some passing resemblance between the two.
I heard the top speed is above 200 KMPH , is it true?
Old 16th August 2007, 01:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

January 10 2008, D-day for TATA motors

On january 10 2008,tata motors will reveal the one-lakh car to the whole world at the delhi auto expo.Said to have a 30 bhp engine and may just come with a diesel option as well.

The all new indica will come with the 1.3 fiat multijet[fiat to produce it at its ranjangaon plant for tata] would also be there on display so also will the all new indigo.Both to be launched in the first half of 2008.

So Tata surely have their hands full for the january 10 auto expo.

Source:

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th August 2007 at 01:25.
Old 16th August 2007, 09:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

One OT question: Where is Dr. Sumantran now?
Old 16th August 2007, 09:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
January 10 2008, D-day for TATA motors

It might be a D-day in terms of the looks and design of the vehicle but since its only a showcase, IMO, the actual D-day is when they will launch the vehicle, thats when the engine runs, rest all is to please the eyes only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks