Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 12:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

hmmm ... i saw this coming. had to happen sometime or the other. the only way out for improvement is self improvement! and they are now precisely onto that. customer inputs are the greatest source of corrections that are possible, and mahindra as we know are sincerely onto it. i'm not even sure if toyota or honda in india are sensitive to improvements suggested to customers as much as mahindra is!

anyways we can expect a better tata in future. as for the new indica with mjd, well I just hope they keep the clutch and gear shift slick unlike the maruti's. the mjd will do its job as much as ever. maybe they can even think of making the boot of the indica much better than its current form and we have a winner.
Old 20th July 2007, 14:09   #17
BHPian

I think all other manufacturers also planning something to counter TATA move...
if we can manage spy pics of TATA vehicles then other manufacturers can also manage that even much more...worry for other OEMs
Old 20th July 2007, 16:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappo
The 1.5NA sticker we saw on the dash of the prototype car (on another thread) is indeed a reworked engine. They have done this because lot of people complained that the 1.4 feels breatheless with its measly BHP figures. The 1.5 is probably going to have 63 BHP on the tap.
This stupid move will add 8% excise on the Indica since its no longer in the "small car" category. The 1.4 with turbo was purrrfect for power hungry guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf
Tata is helping Fiat in getting the plant ready before July 2008 or so we were told by the CEO of Fiat India.
So, we won't see the Multijet-ed Indica for another whole year...Sigh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk
To counter that it came out with a half baked DICOR.
Their product directors really need to go back to school.
Ha ha ha...Tata has always been half-baking their cars. I thought they're changing in that aspect.But, looks like they aren't.
So, we should stick to the "3 years after release" model purchase.
Old 20th July 2007, 16:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
This stupid move will add 8% excise on the Indica since its no longer in the "small car" category.
Why so? All diesel cars below 1500cc are exempt.
the 1.5 may actually be 1490 or 1498 cc or something like that.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:40   #20
BANNED

Tata's real problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
  • They acknowledge that their cars suffer more from perception problems than anything else and they have directives from the top to identify ways and take care of it. They may even consider having separate sections to service the taxi trade and the personal cars at the dealership levels.
Pretty true. I am surprised at the harshness people belt out on Tata cars facing same problems as cars from other manufacturers.
Eg:- Kuttappan's complaint about gear lever vibrations on his Swift VDi. Responses from the forum were more like "tsk tsk!!!", while it would have been "Tata s***s. Serves you right for buying Tata" if that was said about any of the Tata cars.
Well, I admit to being baffled about negative reactions about Tata cars. I was very actively considering buying a Xeta, and dropped the idea only at the last minute, mostly due to feed back from others.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
[/list]Pretty true. I am surprised at the harshness people belt out on Tata cars facing same problems as cars from other manufacturers.
Eg:- Kuttappan's complaint about gear lever vibrations on his Swift VDi. Responses from the forum were more like "tsk tsk!!!", while it would have been "Tata s***s. Serves you right for buying Tata" if that was said about any of the Tata cars.
Well, I admit to being baffled about negative reactions about Tata cars. I was very actively considering buying a Xeta, and dropped the idea only at the last minute, mostly due to feed back from others.
Actually you should always ask a owner. I have had experience with these cars from 2002 model onwards and since the way they have improved. You want an example of perception problem? Tata has horrible gear shift. Earlier I used to nod empathetically (that was in 2003-04)... now I just smile and ask people to be my guest and check it out on their own.

But believe me we have seen worse here. Earlier people on the forum even used to suggest that apparently parts start falling off even when you are just driving out of the showroom with the new car. Its lot better now
Old 20th July 2007, 20:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Owners feedback - a lot of manufacturers do that, even in India, its in execution of that process that things go wrong. Most customers are not auto-savvy and unfortunately due to the manpower shortage, people collecting the feedback are just people who needed just any job to do. There is no effort made by any company till now by making technical people talk to the end-users (mostly due to manpower shortage).
Old 20th July 2007, 21:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new Indica X1 will be out by December this year.
@Zappo ,did not get this part properly,is this the platform for the all new indica + indigo or is that a different thing altogether.

Also what happens when the X1 is launched,i.e. will the present indica's production stop or will this X1 co-exist with the present indica the difference being this will be pushed more as a premium product to take on swift/fabia/getz diesel's.
Old 20th July 2007, 21:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think its a misconception that Tata Motors does not listen to its customers, or that this trend is new.

It is by listening to customers and taking **** from them that they have continuously improved their products. They have also been the only manufacturer to pass on the benefits of improvements to older customers at no additional cost.

If I had something to complain about, it was that their learning curve was a bit longer than one would've required, and that their new product development curve is a lot longer than what is sustainable in a competitive environment.
Old 20th July 2007, 21:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
IIf I had something to complain about, it was that their learning curve was a bit longer than one would've required
Wasn't that why V Sumantran went?
Old 20th July 2007, 22:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
The 1.5NA sticker we saw on the dash of the prototype car (on another thread) is indeed a reworked engine. They have done this because lot of people complained that the 1.4 feels breatheless with its measly BHP figures. The 1.5 is probably going to have 63 BHP on the tap.
Isn't that figure almost same compared to the ones we have on the Indigo now?
Old 20th July 2007, 22:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wasn't that why V Sumantran went?
I believe he left because he was more of a technical chap than an administrator/manager. They needed someone to take the company forward, not someone that knew his engine-vengines.

He contributed a lot to taking the Indica to "V2", but there were hardly any new products coming out of the company's gates. Sure they needed to improve, but they also needed to keep moving - I believe the Safari Dicor was a gamble they decided to take to PUSH a new product out, which explains the fantastic levels of support we've been receiving from the company. I believe Sumantran wouldve preferred to perfect the 2.2 and bring it out rather than go to the market with the 3.0.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th July 2007 at 22:41.
Old 20th July 2007, 22:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
He contributed a lot to taking the Indica to "V2", but there were hardly any new products coming out of the company's gates.
The Indica Turbo, the Indica Sport (which never saw the light of a commercial sale day) were some products at the R&D which never got out or had a much delayed entry.

Did Sumantran leave or was asked to leave?
Old 20th July 2007, 23:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

tata motors gone hyperactive

talking of jaguar and rover, dont be surprised, if these companies were bought over by Tata's. Tata seems to have developed lots of appetite for M&A
Old 21st July 2007, 00:43   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Did Sumantran leave or was asked to leave?
Pardon my ignornace, but, who is Sumantran?

Most Viewed