Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 16:34   #2746
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

My Ford Fiesta 1.6S petrol gave me 10.71 kmpl calculated on a tankful-tankful basis with 90% city driving and 10% highway driving and 100% AC.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:59   #2747
Senior - BHPian

My last tankfull returned me an FE of 19.36kmpl with intermittent AC & 100% city driving (Indica DLX, 7+ years old, 96+K kms on odo). The FE hovers between 17 & 20kmpl. The overall lifetime FE is 18.38kmpl (add to this the diesel price advantage )

I must admit. I am a very sedate driver . I have been following the below mentioned driving habits for quite some time.

1. Dont accelerate unnecessarily.
2. Use brake sparingly (only when you want to stop, when u want to decelerate, shift down the gears instead of braking).
3. Drive in anticipation. Means if you are 200 mts from a red light assume that it will turn red by the time you cross it, hence take the foot off the accelerator pedal, instead of racing harshly. Also if there is a busy junction ahead, downshift & decelerate slowly instead of applying brakes at the last moment.
4. Another most important factor contributing largely to the increased mileage is restriction on top speed (rpm). I am limiting myself to 75 kmph max (which corresponds to 2000 rpm) on clear/ straight stretches of road. I try & stick to it as much as possible. Only once in a while take it to 90kmph.

Other two important factors (which others may not be so lucky to experience) are:
1. Office timing: I work in second shift (1:00pm to 10:00pm). So I leave the home at 12:00pm & return back at 11:00pm. These are quite off-peak hours, which contributes greatlty to the improved mileage (Others may not be that lucky).
2. Highway stretch: My daily one way commute of 32 kms involves almost 18kms of highway stretch (only 8 signals) with wide roads & scarce traffic, where I can maintain a constant speed of 75kms in top gear. The balance 14 kms has 12 signals with medium traffic to heavy traffic.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:09   #2748
BHPian

The following figures for my new Hyundai santro cng.
Model : new Santro GL Plus (no spoiler)
2700 km on the odo.
Bought in June 2011.

Driving conditions: 70kms daily Delhi to gurgaon and back in peak traffic conditions.(ring road route)
Engine loads: Air con on 100% of time.

*CNG driving:
1st gear to 2nd to 3rd : before 30
4th engaged : at 40
5th engaged : at 50
Efficiency : 19-20 km per kg.
Full tank : 8.5 kg.
All fillings from same station.

Petrol driving :
Same as before But 5th engaged at 60.
All fillings from same station. Same machine. (to minimise random variables)
12.5 to 14.1 kmpl.

Calculating methodology: regular full tank to full tank.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:35   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. I checked the Air Filter on third service (3800km, 1 year), and it was reasonably clean.
. Never checked the tyre pressure, but seems OK on inspection. I had changed to Michelin on delivery.
. I drive spiritedly, when possible. Most of my trips are 0.5 to 2.5 km each way, with a long trip - 20km+ each tank full. I still get 12-14 with AC.
. I am 60, been driving since 18. My sons get a couple of km/L less than I do ( and they wear the clutch/brake linings faster)! So FE has a lot to do with driving style.

Yes 11 without AC is miserable FE. Even my 10 year old Esteem gives better FE without AC!

Check the following
- Petrol Pump. It may be consistently giving you less fuel.
- Brakes binding. If the wheels are hot to touch after a couple of km that is it. Alternatively see how far the car goes from say 50km/h in neutral.
- Idling. If it is smooth, OK, else if it rough (compared to your M800), then there may be problem in ignition.

Even if signal is 1 minute (and I believe that in Mumbai they are 3 minutes min) and you get 10 signals in your route, you have wasted 10 minutes worth of petrol.

I still feel that you should take it to the Expressway and see if you can hit 120+ easily (say in 15 seconds), if not there is a problem in the system - engine/brakes/clutch.
Same here sir ji, I am 57. Driving Licence of 1972,Drove almost all cars once even a truck ,No harsh acceleration,cutting off engine if halt is more then 1 min,tyre pressure OK,No sudden braking and starting,Idling is 1000 at idle and is sharp and no fluctuation,In view to do the run in myself, I did not exceede 60 kms/hr till now ,Done 2300 kms till date,brakes are free,obsereved it with going at 50 kms and shifting to neutral and let it roll with engine ON.car is not having binding brakes,clutch superb, saw it once by doing a wheel spin ,petrol pump .yes we are having account with them for the last 45 yrs.very honest guys.
Itook it to M A S S They did that so called ECNOTEST( see my posts on this in MY SUPERIOR WHITE ALTO K10 thread) on it ,and they drove the car them self and gave me tall claims of "city driving 14 kms/ltr with AC, without AC 15 kms/ltr,Highway driving 17 kms/ltr with AC ,W/O AC 18 kms,
they gave me some print outs and I did not understand head and tail of that print out, neither that joker was able to explain how to read and understand that report.
I called the regional service manager guy of Maruti , that stupid fella wanted to just shrug off me by saying 'please wait for some time more and use the car for 5000kms and it will improve",but no asking me to concrete answer or solid reply to my problem,justasking mre to contact any other service point for the problem.
I felt like giving a tight one had he be in front of me,Not expecting this from MARUTI.
At a time I think of selling this 3 months old MOST CLAIMED FE car and go for that NEWINDICA CLAIMING 25 KMS/LTR AND THEY SAY IT IS NOT A MISPRINT.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 08:54   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Same here sir ji, I am 57. Driving Licence of 1972,Drove almost all cars once even a truck ,No harsh acceleration,cutting off engine if halt is more then 1 min,tyre pressure OK,No sudden braking and starting,Idling is 1000 at idle and is sharp and no fluctuation,In view to do the run in myself, I did not exceede 60 kms/hr till now ,Done 2300 kms till date,brakes are free,obsereved it with going at 50 kms and shifting to neutral and let it roll with engine ON.car is not having binding brakes,clutch superb, saw it once by doing a wheel spin ,petrol pump .yes we are having account with them for the last 45 yrs.very honest guys.
Itook it to M A S S They did that so called ECNOTEST( see my posts on this in MY SUPERIOR WHITE ALTO K10 thread) on it ,and they drove the car them self and gave me tall claims of "city driving 14 kms/ltr with AC, without AC 15 kms/ltr,Highway driving 17 kms/ltr with AC ,W/O AC 18 kms,
they gave me some print outs and I did not understand head and tail of that print out, neither that joker was able to explain how to read and understand that report.
I called the regional service manager guy of Maruti , that stupid fella wanted to just shrug off me by saying 'please wait for some time more and use the car for 5000kms and it will improve",but no asking me to concrete answer or solid reply to my problem,justasking mre to contact any other service point for the problem.
I felt like giving a tight one had he be in front of me,Not expecting this from MARUTI.
At a time I think of selling this 3 months old MOST CLAIMED FE car and go for that NEWINDICA CLAIMING 25 KMS/LTR AND THEY SAY IT IS NOT A MISPRINT.
Regarding Econotest
. City driving FE agrees with mine, in fact it is slightly more than I get
. Highway driving is on the lower side.

The sad conclusion is that you may have got a car with higher consumption. My and other K10 in the forum are giving excellent FE, and I have done only 3700km.

Still just to confirm whether you have a lemon or not, do a 200-400 highway trip and check the FE.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:00   #2751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding Econotest
. City driving FE agrees with mine, in fact it is slightly more than I get
. Highway driving is on the lower side.

The sad conclusion is that you may have got a car with higher consumption. My and other K10 in the forum are giving excellent FE, and I have done only 3700km.

Still just to confirm whether you have a lemon or not, do a 200-400 highway trip and check the FE.
Sir ji, now what is the solution if I have been unfortunate to get a bad FE car.
Old 26th July 2011, 10:00   #2752
Senior - BHPian

@Iqbal Veerji
I get a standard mileage of 14.85 - 15 KMPL with full AC, ~16KMPL with mixed AC and 17 KMPL without AC in the city on my Alto LXi. Passenger load normally two, sometimes three and rarely four. It is >21 KMPL with full AC and >22KMPL without AC on the highway, with light luggage and three pax. These are average figures over a period of two years. The best highwayfigure I have achieved under test conditions is 27 - 28 KMPL. This again is an average figure of 5 - 6 such tests, done over two years. I normally conduct one such test after each service. I also maintain tyre pressure at 32 PSI, checked every Sunday morning. Fuel is always Shell super unleaded, oil is Shell Helix HX5.

Forget the mileage test at A.S.S, please do the following test on a relaxed Sunday morning. Take your car (alone or with one pax) to the best fuel station in your locality. Fill fuel till auto cut off, then tell them to fill manually up to an inch below the brim. Wait for a minute / shake the car lightly to expel any air, then fill some more just below the brim. Pump up your tyres to 32 PSI, set trip meter to zero and drive out to an uncrowded highway. Roll up windows, switch on AC, drive freely (steady 65 - 75 KMPH) for 30 KM one way, then take a U turn and return to the same fuel station.

Fill fuel again till the brim as explained in the previous para. Now dividing this 60 KM by the fuel filled will give you the best mileage your car is capable of under best conditions,and will be in the region of at least 26 KMPL. If this figure is achieved, there is nothing wrong with your car. This figure, of course, can't be replicated during normal driving, even on the highway. If even this figure is very low, you have an issue.

According to a supervisor I was talking to during my most recent service, 12 KMPL in the city and 16 - 18 KMPL on the highway is what most people achieve with the Alto LXi. These figures are only slightly more for the Alto K10.
Old 26th July 2011, 10:42   #2753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@Iqbal Veerji

Forget the mileage test at A.S.S, please do the following test on a relaxed Sunday morning. Take your car (alone or with one pax) to the best fuel station in your locality. Fill fuel till auto cut off, then tell them to fill manually up to an inch below the brim. Wait for a minute / shake the car lightly to expel any air, then fill some more just below the brim. Pump up your tyres to 32 PSI, set trip meter to zero and drive out to an uncrowded highway. Roll up windows, switch on AC, drive freely (steady 65 - 75 KMPH) for 30 KM one way, then take a U turn and return to the same fuel station.

Fill fuel again till the brim as explained in the previous para. Now dividing this 60 KM by the fuel filled will give you the best mileage your car is capable of under best conditions,and will be in the region of at least 26 KMPL. If this figure is achieved, there is nothing wrong with your car. This figure, of course, can't be replicated during normal driving, even on the highway. If even this figure is very low, you have an issue.

According to a supervisor I was talking to during my most recent service, 12 KMPL in the city and 16 - 18 KMPL on the highway is what most people achieve with the Alto LXi. These figures are only slightly more for the Alto K10.
What I was suggesting, except I would fill till auto cutoff, both ways at the same station, same pump. Veerji, try it, if for nothing else just for the fun of it!
Old 26th July 2011, 11:28   #2754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I was suggesting, except I would fill till auto cutoff, both ways at the same station, same pump. Veerji, try it, if for nothing else just for the fun of it!
I don't rely on auto cut-off, as the amount of fuel filled after this varies from 0.5 litres to 1.5 litres every time.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:44   #2755
BHPian

My Fiat Linea MJD

City : 15kmpl (without ac) in b2b traffic
12-13kmpl (with ac)

Highway : 21kmpl with fairly aggressive driving
25+kmpl (with a steady 70kmph)
Old 30th July 2011, 22:45   #2756
BHPian

Did a month of patient sedate FE minded driving.Punto MJD gave overall 20.1 kmpl over 1150 km(70%highway,30%city).max efficieny attained 24kmpl in a 80km trip.Riding this way takes away the fun and think VGT puntos are more adept at extracting good highway figures at higher speeds.
Old 30th July 2011, 23:15   #2757
BHPian

My 2005 make, Accent GLE gives 8.7 kmpl. AC always on, city driving in Mumbai. Running cost comes to Rs. 7.5/km
Old 30th July 2011, 23:37   #2758
BHPian

My Spark was giving a mileage of 13 with ac in the city. In the last couple of months it has dipped to around 11.5 - 12. Wondering if driving for shorter runabouts has brought about this change
Old 31st July 2011, 00:24   #2759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't rely on auto cut-off, as the amount of fuel filled after this varies from 0.5 litres to 1.5 litres every time.
Gansan..Do you think there will be difference in quantity even if its the same petrol station and same pump..I think even if there is a difference it may be around 250ml and not more than that..
Old 31st July 2011, 11:35   #2760
BHPian

My Swift vdi, 15700Km on odo, gave 20.6 km/l in the last tank full to tank full. 80% city and 20% "Kerala" highway driving.100% AC.

Most Viewed