Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:46   #3181
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

On my Honda city, I still get between 10-11 Kmpl with slow city driving across Mumbai. Usage per day is not more than 15-20Km currently. I took it out to Lonavla a couple of times and got 15 Kmpl easily.
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:14   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Last week i filled my Nano (near empty mark) with 12.38 litres of fuel. Refueled yesterday. It was driven for about 245 kilometers between the refuel; so if I do the calculations, i got about 19.XX km/litre of petrol. Even if the method is wrong, I would still get a minimum of 17-18 km/litre of petrol.

The above figures are with AC.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 07:19   #3183

Nissan Sunny XE Petrol Total Km done 3800,
Averages acheived over a one month period :-
City - 13.2kmpl
Highways - 15.7 kmpl
Got the averaged using the trip metres and the fuel efficiency function (not continuous efficiency but the average efficiency in a particular trip)
Old 4th April 2012, 11:07   #3184
BHPian

7 year 4 month old indica tcic

Last fortnight trip mumbai to jaipur non-stop and back. Kept filling up 30-litres every time reserve showed up. Started off the trip in reserve and filled up at first pump.

30 litres = 600 kms (actually a little over 600 kms)
which makes it around 20 kmpl.

Which is a little less for my vehicle which normally returns close to 23 kmpl on highways.

Possible factors for lower mileage:
  1. Premium diesel wasn't available, and I ran out of System D. My car always runs on standard diesel plus System D.
  2. Tyre pressure was a bit lower than usual.
  3. Udaipur Ajmer stretch was awful with terrible road conditions and truck traffic due to construction work right up until kishangadh. I have a feeling I took a longer route and missed a turn at night time.
  4. Morning to evening heat was terrible on the return leg.
  5. Finally, since I had to leave at very short notice of 2 hours (12:30 at night), did not do an oil change and replace air-filter as I normally do before a long trip.

Still 20kmpl not bad for a 7 year old indica.

Current regular in-city (mumbai) mileage hovers between 13 - 14.5 kmpl.

Last edited by hell_rider : 4th April 2012 at 11:12.
Old 4th April 2012, 15:25   #3185
Distinguished - BHPian

During my last long drive I got a mileage of 22.05 in my Old Dzire ZDI(Diesel)
100% AC
3 Passengers
691 KMs
Speed was maintained between 80-110

Average Mileage during my 25K+ Kms ownership is 16.25. Mostly driven in bangalore traffic with 100% AC.
Old 6th April 2012, 14:13   #3186
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Linea T-Jet+
Fuel : Petrol
Date of Purchase 6th Feb. 2012
Fuel Tank Capacity = 45Lts.
Fuel Filled = 25.25 Lts. (Full Tank to Full Tank method with stopping at first cut-off)
Kms Travelled = 283 (Kms till date = 792)
Mileage = 11.21 KMPL
100% driving in Goa (equal to 66.67% of highway driving) and 80-85% of time AC was on.
Cost of Running = Rs.4.90/Km + Fixed Exps.

Last edited by carwatcher : 6th April 2012 at 14:16.
Old 6th April 2012, 14:36   #3187
BHPian

VW Vento TDI HighLine: 15KMPL

Tested over multiple full-full refills including shaking the car to get in the most fuel possible.

My regular daily commute can best be described as a mix of city (75%), near-city (15%) and country with decent roads (10%).

AC on full-time.
Old 6th April 2012, 14:57   #3188
Distinguished - BHPian

Car: 2007 Ford IKON Flair
Odo: ~ 1.13 lacs
Trip Distance: 691 kms
Fuel Consumed: 44.11 liters
FE: 15.66

It was mostly a Highway drive with speeds above 100.
Old 6th April 2012, 15:11   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher
Fiat Linea T-Jet+
Fuel : Petrol
Date of Purchase 6th Feb. 2012
Fuel Tank Capacity = 45Lts.
Fuel Filled = 25.25 Lts. (Full Tank to Full Tank method with stopping at first cut-off)
Kms Travelled = 283 (Kms till date = 792)
Mileage = 11.21 KMPL
100% driving in Goa (equal to 66.67% of highway driving) and 80-85% of time AC was on.
Cost of Running = Rs.4.90/Km + Fixed Exps.
Only Goans can boast of this kind of 'cost per km' figures on petrol cars now

Same mileage will cost 7.15 per km in Bangalore
Old 6th April 2012, 15:53   #3190
BHPian

5 Month Old FIAT GP 90HP
Between 22 and 24 on the Highway (at speeds between 80 and 110kmph) with AC
Between 16 and 18 on the Highway (at speeds over 110kmph) with AC
19kmpl in the city with AC
Old 6th April 2012, 16:45   #3191
BHPian

On my way to office (Powai) there is a steep slope that i encounter everyday. When i reach it i have to shift all the way down from 5th to at least second as it's a wide open road till the point. When in second gear at the beginning of the slope the Swift diesel without pressing the accelerator pulls all the way up the slope cause of the torque of the engine.
Wanted to know whether allowing it to climb this way up the slope is the more fuel efficient method than pressing the accelerator & moving up??
Old 6th April 2012, 21:22   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV
On my way to office (Powai) there is a steep slope that i encounter everyday. When i reach it i have to shift all the way down from 5th to at least second as it's a wide open road till the point. When in second gear at the beginning of the slope the Swift diesel without pressing the accelerator pulls all the way up the slope cause of the torque of the engine.
Wanted to know whether allowing it to climb this way up the slope is the more fuel efficient method than pressing the accelerator & moving up??
Not sure if this is a very good idea. Might save some fuel, but can wear out the clutch early instead!
Old 6th April 2012, 21:44   #3193
BHPian

Vento TDI Highline: Jan 2012 Model.

Fuel efficiency:
100% City: 13.4 kmpl
100% Highway: 20.7 kmpl
Average of both (80% City and 20% Highway): 14.8 kmpl

KM done so far: 1240 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
It won't increase your mileage except if there is a reduced need to brake. If the car is moving at a constant speed without any need for braking, a speed of 40-60 kmph (which equates generally to the most fuel efficient rpm level) will give you the best fuel efficiency using the right gear for your present driving situation. Therefore, if no frequent braking is involved, use of the accelerator to get to the fuel efficient rpm level will give you best results.

Last edited by penlax : 6th April 2012 at 21:49.
Old 6th April 2012, 21:56   #3194
APT

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Not sure if this is a very good idea. Might save some fuel, but can wear out the clutch early instead!
Is that true? How would the accelerator being pressed or not have any bearing on how much the clutch wears (Assuming that the clutch is fully depressed and the transmission is fully engaged)? A little puzzled here.
Old 6th April 2012, 22:19   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Pressing the accelerator is directly proportional to fuel consumption. In this case I am assuming your car is able to climb the slope without lugging & undue strain on the engine. This is definitely fuel efficient, but if the slope is just a couple of metres long, it won't matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
It won't affect the clutch at all. Clutch is likely to wear faster if you are riding the clutch while pressing the accelerator. In this case his left foot is completely off the clutch pedal & due to the good low end torque of the DDiS engine the car pulls up the slope quite effortlessly, transmitting the full engine power at idling to the front wheels.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed