Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2017, 21:08   #4951
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Most of us are of the opinion that tankful-to-tankful method is more accurate that the value shown in MID. But only recently I realized that depending on the amount of froth generated while filling the auto-cut gets triggered at different points in each filling. Probably the type of dispenser used in each petrol pump also can result in differences. If that's the case, assuming that the amount of fuel filled during one fueling is same as the fuel consumed since last time fuel was filled is very inaccurate. So, why do everyone still consider this to be the reliable method to calculate FE?

In my case, the difference between MID reading and takful-to-tankful method varies from 0 to 1.4kmpl. So, which method is giving me inconsistent results? Considering the point given in above paragraph, I guess tankful method is the culprit here.

Last edited by Midas : 6th May 2017 at 21:09.
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 21:04   #4952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
So, why do everyone still consider this to be the reliable method to calculate FE?
'Comparatively' it is most reliable
To get further accuracy, try filling on same dispenser where the probability for accuracy is much higher. There are even other factors which affect the quantity being filled, including ambient temperature, vehicle load & posture, etc.
Old 8th May 2017, 09:40   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
Most of us are of the opinion that tankful-to-tankful method is more accurate that the value shown in MID. But only recently I realized that depending on the amount of froth generated while filling the auto-cut gets triggered at different points in each filling. Probably the type of dispenser used in each petrol pump also can result in differences. If that's the case, assuming that the amount of fuel filled during one fueling is same as the fuel consumed since last time fuel was filled is very inaccurate. So, why do everyone still consider this to be the reliable method to calculate FE?
Most of us monitor the fuel efficiency of our vehicles to keep a tab on our expenses (and to some extent the health of the drivetrain). In which case, all that matters to us is how much fuel gets into the vehicle irrespective of whether that amount gets consumed by the engine or whether a portion of it gets evaporated in the tank.

I believe, automobile manufacturers willingly make the MID show optimistic figures so as to appease the majority of its customers. It's better to show more than less. Also, not all people do tankful to tankful calculation.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:58   #4954
BHPian

All 3 of my cars are not driven for bumper to bumper traffic as my office is in the same complex as my home. I stay a little in the outskirts of the City ECR Injambakkam, my regular commute is for meetings in the city and social obligations. All cars with 100% A/C and calculated with tankful to tankful method

HYUNDAI CRETA DIESEL 1.6 A/T
ODO Reading : 13,500kms
Year 2016
City Fuel Efficiency : 11 kmpl (no matter what I do cant improve the fuel efficiency, only my wife and I drive this car)
Highway Fuel Efficiency : 13.5kmpl (Well I do cruise at around 130kmph, don't know if this is the reason)

Skoda Rapid 1.5Tdi DSG
ODO Reading : 1600kms
Year 2017
City Fuel Efficiency : 13kmpl (the mfd seems optimistic always showing 14kmpl)
Not taken it on the highways as yet.

Skoda Laura L&K 1.9L Pump Duse
(this car us used for dropping my son to and fro to school and is driven by the driver)
ODO Reading : 66,000kms
Year : 2009
City Fuel Effiency : 13kmpl
Highways : 16kmpl
The ABS module has to be changed hence not taking it on the highways till its changed.
xtremeshock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 10:12   #4955
BHPian

New Wagon R .Still in running in period.

ODO start:322
ODO end :731

Total kms:409

Fuel filled at Essar petrol pump but topped up to auto cutoff at HP fuel outlet.

Round trip.Two passengers one way,one passenger on return trip.

Total fuel consumed at auto cutoff at the same vending machine: Rs 1455

Fuel cost:Rs 73.65

Fuel consumption:19.7556

Fuel efficiency:20.70 by tankful method.

Seems unbelievable on a new car in running in period.

RPMS limited to 2000-2500 with some pushes to 3000.

All highway driving with 75-80% AC

No sudden acceleration or sudden braking.

I'm convinced there is some mistake somewhere.Seems too good to be true.

Last edited by drsingh : 11th May 2017 at 10:13.
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 10:31   #4956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
No mistakes there, do not worry.

The K series Wagon R is known to yield eye popping mileage. Eye popping may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I can tell by own experience driving a friend's 2012 car that the mileage will only increase in the coming days.

The car in question regularly gives 20kmpl in small city driving conditions with a lot of starts and stops. On highways, with AC on, we easily manage to get 22-23 kmpl.

A strange thing with Maruti cars is that very often, people report fuel efficiency figures which are in excess of the company claimed ARAI figures.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 10:40   #4957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The K series Wagon R is known to yield eye popping mileage. Eye popping may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I can tell by own experience driving a friend's 2012 car that the mileage will only increase in the coming days.

The car in question regularly gives 20kmpl in small city driving conditions with a lot of starts and stops. On highways, with AC on, we easily manage to get 22-23 kmpl.
That means I had a lemon of a car with me sometime back. My car hardly would return 11-12 inside the city and at best 18 on the highway. Not that the car tempts us to gun the accelerator either to claim that I was driving hard.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 11:20   #4958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That means I had a lemon of a car with me sometime back. My car hardly would return 11-12 inside the city and at best 18 on the highway. Not that the car tempts us to gun the accelerator either to claim that I was driving hard.
You are far more experienced in these matters.

I guess you were driving primarily in Bengaluru where we often tend to burn fuel without actually moving. The best way of measuring fuel efficiency in the IT city is to calculate the minutes of engine time/litre of fuel consumed and not in kmpl.

The suffocating nature of the incity drive invariably reflects on the highway mileage.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 11:59   #4959
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you were driving primarily in Bengaluru where we often tend to burn fuel without actually moving. The best way of measuring fuel efficiency in the IT city is to calculate the minutes of engine time/litre of fuel consumed and not in kmpl.
True. The city FE mentioned in this thread also specify the city and time the time of driving also. Comparing FE of bangalore and a tier 2 city with less vineesh congestion and less signals is not fair.

Moreover, within Bangalore itself FE that if I regularly leave office at 5 and if I leave at 7 differs a lot
Midas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 12:49   #4960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
New Wagon R .Still in running in period.

ODO start:322
ODO end :731

Total kms:409
Fuel consumption:19.7556

Fuel efficiency:20.70 by tankful method.

Seems unbelievable on a new car in running in period.

RPMS limited to 2000-2500 with some pushes to 3000.

All highway driving with 75-80% AC

No sudden acceleration or sudden braking.

The K10 engine will give fantastic FE if driven sedately (as you have done). With time that will increase. Users have reported 25+ FE in Alto K10, so a WagonR will be only marginally behind.

Even My Alto K10 with spirited driving with AC on highway gave 19+ in middle of summer.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 12:56   #4961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That means I had a lemon of a car with me sometime back.
Went through your ownership report and gleaned the following points.

Quote:
these days with a light foot I am able to extract 14-15kmpl in city. The car has not seen highways lately and long back it gave 16kmpl under hard driving on the highway.
Quote:
FE these days has improved to 18+ on the highways. In 50:50 city and highway, I get around 460 kms for a tank of 29 liters with 50% AC usage.
Quote:
My driver(then) had smoked the clutch on the day the car was brought when he tried to reverse up a slope..
Quote:
I get a mileage of around 12kmpl in average traffic since morning there is zero traffic and evenings I take 1.5hr to cover 25kms. AC used 80%
Far from being a lemon, your car has served you well and given you not so bad mileage, given the conditions it was driven in. Hope you will agree .

Quote:
Comparing FE of bangalore and a tier 2 city with less congestion and less signals is not fair.
That's true. We hardly idle our cars at signals and save for the occasional 2 minute jams on market days or weekends, never stay stationery with the engine running. The vehicles are driven at moderate speeds too mainly because we have nowhere urgent to go, the distance from one end of the city to the other being hardly 4-5 kms.

Prominently, the petrol pump owner or the manager or attendant is always your neighbour / acquaintance / relative / friend and hence large scale cons are comparitively less.

I think all these factors add up in us, small towners getting better fuel efficiency. The only fly in the ointment is the inability of the engine to warm.up sufficiently during short drives. This occasionally results in muted response to acceleration. A small dose of Italian Tune up comes in handy at such times.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 13:00   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The K10 engine will give fantastic FE if driven sedately (as you have done). With time that will increase. Users have reported 25+ FE in Alto K10, so a WagonR will be only marginally behind.

Even My Alto K10 with spirited driving with AC on highway gave 19+ in middle of summer.

+1 to that. Sedate is the word here. Push it hard and the mileage drops significantly. When I had my Astar K10B engine, it would give no more than 14kmpl (with AC on) in Bengaluru traffic. On the highways my dad being a sedate driver would get up to 19-20 kmpl, me on the other hand used to push it and it would give no more than 16 kmpl.

On the other hand, my Diesel Verna manages 13-14 in the city 😁

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 13:07   #4963
BHPian

Owner of Zest XMS Revotron (Petrol) here. This car (a turbo-petrol) is known to be sensitive to the driving style. My driving style is fairly sedate: cruising speeds are typically 90-100 kmph in NHs; 60-70 kmph in SHs.

I did a Bangalore-Murudeshwar-Gokarna-Bangalore round trip last weekend. AC was on all the time.

Here are the MID figures. As per my observations MID figures are usually 1.0 to 1.5 kmpl higher than Tankful method.

After Bangalore-Kumta stretch: MID showed 20.0 kmpl after 503kms of travel.
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-mileage_at_kumta_2.jpg

After complete round-trip: MID showed 19.0 kmpl after 1278kms of total travel.
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-zest_mileage_complete_trip_2.jpg

Last edited by srvm : 11th May 2017 at 13:10.
Old 11th May 2017, 13:20   #4964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Went through your ownership report and gleaned the following points.

Far from being a lemon, your car has served you well and given you not so bad mileage, given the conditions it was driven in. Hope you will agree .
That's true. We hardly idle our cars at signals and save for the occasional 2 minute jams on market days or weekends, never stay stationery with the engine running. The vehicles are driven at moderate speeds too mainly because we have nowhere urgent to go, the distance from one end of the city to the other being hardly 4-5 kms.
Haha I was just joking when I said I got a lemon

The best figures I have got are after trying really hard. Neither am I complaining about the same. I was just astonished that the same car was capable of delivering such high FE. Even the ARAI rating was 20 odd.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 14:58   #4965
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what I got on trip from Bangalore to Shimoga (90% highway - 10% city). Driven mostly in comfort mode with occasional bursts of speed on the four lane sections.

What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-20170516_111134.jpg

On the return leg I drove aggressively (sport mode) and averaged 10.50 kpl for the same distance

Vehicle : BMW X3 30d

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks