Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 13:10   #2641
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Hi Guys! Long time since I have posted on TBHP.

My Accent Viva CRDi after being there with me for 6 years and 200K + Kms, its giving me 18+ in City with AC.

My Xylo just crossed 60K and returns consistently 12 and 14 with AC City and Highway respectively.

Omni is the oldest workhorse of the household and performs as we bought it with averages around 14 Kmpl (We never take it on a highway).

Cant insult the two classics I have by measuring the FE.

The above figures have gone down whenever I have gone past 120Kmph drastically worst being 12 from my Accent and 8 from my Xylo.

Was in Germany/Austria earlier this month and rented a Ford Kuga Tdci 4x4 (146 BHP). Driven it extensively over 2K kms mostly on Autobahns doing speeds around 200 Kmph and to my amazement it returned 11.97 Kmpl

I was simply stunned when I filled the tank up the last time before returning it and calculated the over all average. I had assumed it would anyhow give me below 7~8 Kmpl as it was being pushed to its limit more than 70% of the time. Had it been driven in India with speeds within 80~120 Kmph, I can only imagine what average it would return. Considering its a vehicle size and weight of the Chevy Captiva.

Question: Why cant we have vehicles this efficient in India? Can any Captiva owner share his experience as its the nearest match for the Kuga in India.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 19th April 2011 at 13:20.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:57   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
LOL, Now this topic is inevitable on Team-BHP!!

All the city figures are within Bombay peak hour traffic and with the air-con at all times. Also keep in mind that my main office is a mere 2 kms away and has atleast 6 signals and full of pedestrians en route. You can never go above second gear.

GTO
Just 2 kms?? Now thats a perfect reason to get your hands on a nice cycle. Fancy a Trek ???
Old 19th April 2011, 14:37   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post
As of date, the fuel pump mechanism has improved to a great extent. After the pump auto cuts off and when one tries to push in more fuel, the pump has a tendency to 'hold back' fuel which is being dispensed in the cars fuel tank. Rationally, the fuel pump meter is running while the fuel pumped is not in sync with the meter reading (ouch, not a good news with the recent fuel price hikes). So it is highly advisable to 'stop' right there.

I used to top up my cars fuel tank to the brim till I heard this and have given up on the method since then. I now stick to auto cut off.

PS: The above information is acquired from a person in the Petroleum industry. Since I am not a chemicals guy, I absolutely have no idea whether this holds true. Maybe chemical guys from the forum can verify this and correct me if I am wrong !!!
Is it possible? I don't think these things are possible with modern fuel pumps. It may be possible that difference could be as small as 20-30 ml max. Not possible that it will absorb 1-2 liters. So in 30-35 liters i guess that's ok. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:52   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Is it possible? I don't think these things are possible with modern fuel pumps. It may be possible that difference could be as small as 20-30 ml max. Not possible that it will absorb 1-2 liters. So in 30-35 liters i guess that's ok. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Guess you may be right. But like I said earlier, I don't know if this holds true. Someone technical on this forum needs to explain this in detail, whether right or wrong.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:40   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth Hegde View Post

isn't it amazing 10 year old car gives FE same as new Generation car and it fun to drive also !!
Thats correct. I always enjoyed the nippy esteem engine. It was fun to driver in city and highways. Overtaking was always a breeze. Once again apologies for drifiting off topic, but i couldnt help not comment
Old 25th April 2011, 11:30   #2646

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post
Guess you may be right. But like I said earlier, I don't know if this holds true. Someone technical on this forum needs to explain this in detail, whether right or wrong.
The nozzle of the fuel pump dispenser senses "back pressure" from the fuel vapours, based on which it stops automatically. There is no way you can add another 1-2 litres beyond the automatic cutoff - my guess is at the most half a liter.

Fuel dispensers usually have three flow rates (speeds) - slow, medium, fast. I always ensure it is set on the slowest rate during auto fillup. Since the auto-cutoff takes a fixed amount of time to register the back pressure and stop (a few milliseconds), the amount of excess fuel (overfill) that flows during this short interval is minimized if the flow rate is slow.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:31   #2647
BHPian

Had given figures earlier as well. I have a ANHC which is little over 2 years old with 27000 km on the clock. In winter with AC off most of the time (except for occasional defogging of windscreen) I was getting almost 15 km/l. However, as mentioned by several persons the fuel efficiency readout shows around 1.5 more than this most of the time. Hence, if it shows around 18 km/l then the actual usage efficiency will be 16.5 km/l.

I got the valve spring changed recently as a factory recall and the car came back badly tuned and was missing at low speed idling. The fuel efficiency had also gone down to around 13 km/l. It went back for tuning and though the idling was okay for 2-3 days it is back to missing at idle. However, the fuel economy is around 14.3-14.5 as measured by tank fillups with automatic cut-off. I have never allowed the attendant to fill more fuel after cut-off. I generally get very consistent results as I drive the car myself and there is little scope in Delhi these days to really thump the accelerator. The above reading is with AC on.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:59   #2648
BHPian

1. 1997 Astra (now sold) was very consistent, with AC all the time in city I got 8km/l can't say much about it, and Highway without AC most of the time I got 13.5 km/l, which was good.

2. My 2005 Santro (now sold) was pathetic also due to my driving style, high reeving most of the time, in city with 50% of the time AC on it gave me 9km/l and on the highway it gave me 13.5-14 km/l under same conditions. But once I had a condition when the flight was delayed and airport is a 35km run, and they informed me by that time I had already left home, so drove at 40-50km/h almost constantly without AC in 5th gear and got 17.75km/l!!!!!

3. 2005 Corolla in city with 80% AC on gives 9km/l, which I feel is bad, and on the highway I consistently get 14km/l with AC on all the time and for speeds between 90 to 120 km/h, which is good, I guess.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:10   #2649
BHPian

My swift D gives an average of 16.5kmpl with ac on 50% of the time. I drive it in moderately flowing traffic and I very rarely get caught up in bumper to bumper traffic!!

On the highways, I get about 20kmpl with full load. The highest I've achieved is 22.7kmpl
Old 25th April 2011, 23:54   #2650
BHPian

Figo 1.4 Zxi

Average: 17.2 Kmpl (Highway) 100% AC with three digit speeds (max 130 kmph)
Old 26th April 2011, 22:38   #2651
BHPian

Indica Xeta GLX

13 kmpl 100% city driving with AC on all the time.

Method tank full to tank full.

Last edited by Adi_k : 26th April 2011 at 22:47.
Old 26th April 2011, 23:56   #2652
BHPian

The best figure that I've got on the ANHC, with AC 90% on in city driving conditions is 11.97. And the worst figure with 100 % AC in city driving and occasional redlining is 10.16! Pretty decent for the size and performance I would say.
^Both these figures were measured on a tank full to tank full basis.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:52   #2653
BHPian

Zen MPFI, 2003 Model:

Getting 11.5 kmpl. 100% within Bangalore City and 50% AC usage. Feel this is lower than average.
Any Zen owners - please?!
Old 4th May 2011, 11:44   #2654
BHPian

Dzire Diesel 18kmpl
Ikon Flair 1.3 11kmpl
Logan 1.4 Petrol 9.5 kmpl

All with AC on.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:58   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Logan DLE 2007
- 18 KMPL with AC (100%) in Delhi
- 21 KMPL with AC (100%) on Highways

Most Viewed