Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 00:57   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Randhawa got the sweet spot in the statement above to be 1500 rpm but what is 2k rpm for? Did you mean that one should be in between this band?
What I meant was that max average you will get on the highway is at 1500 RPM in 5th gear doing just 65Km/h.

At 2K RPM you will be doing 80 which will not give you the max average you can get out of MJD but may be more comfortable cruising speed. As I don't expect people to cruise on a highway at mere 65 when possibly any mechanically propelled vehicle will be overtaking you at that speed.

For me 80 is the best for cruising safely where there is some heavy traffic on highway. Time and again I have compared my time of arrival with distance covered and speed approx. 120 against doing the same distance at 80. Difference has always been around 15-20 minutes so why would any one do these kind of speeds which is unsafe and will cost you(fuel) more to do the same distance is beyond any logic.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 03:23   #3032
Senior - BHPian

My fiesta classic tdci is showing a DTE of 915 km after a full tank filling, so does that means the mileage is over 20 kmpl?

It has done 2799 km.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:08   #3033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
For me 80 is the best for cruising safely where there is some heavy traffic on highway. Time and again I have compared my time of arrival with distance covered and speed approx. 120 against doing the same distance at 80. Difference has always been around 15-20 minutes so why would any one do these kind of speeds which is unsafe and will cost you(fuel) more to do the same distance is beyond any logic.
Not to discount the speed cops poised at strategic locations on NH1 in Haryana. I too have found that maintaining 80-90 on a highway gives you a running average of 70-80 respectively. To get more you have to go beyond 130.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:19   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Not to discount the speed cops poised at strategic locations on NH1 in Haryana. I too have found that maintaining 80-90 on a highway gives you a running average of 70-80 respectively. To get more you have to go beyond 130.
Never seen a single speedy cop on the Delhi route but mostly in the mornings seen them just before Delhi after entering Kundli. These bunch of cops were the fastest I have ever seen handing out speeding tickets, averaging 10 people in 5 minutes.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:24   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
...120 against doing the same distance at 80 difference has always been around 15-20 minutes so why would any one do these kind of speeds which is unsafe and will cost you(fuel) more to do the same distance is beyond any logic.
And I feel we also get extra tiredness while doing high speeds constantly for long distances becasue our mind needs to be extra careful while watching traffic and other disturbance and we have to work more on gears, brakes, clutch and accelerator.

Last year I did two trips of 380 odd kms rounded each time on same route twice in a week in my old MPFI M800, first time I got FE of 20+ with sedate driving with less tiredness and second time just got 18+ with more aggressive driving and felt extra tiredness compared to previous trip.
Old 8th January 2012, 13:51   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never seen a single speedy cop on the Delhi route but mostly in the mornings seen them just before Delhi after entering Kundli. These bunch of cops were the fastest I have ever seen handing out speeding tickets, averaging 10 people in 5 minutes.
I have seen the Haryana Speed Cops midway on the way to Chandigarh. They have recording cameras and a Magistrate court. Good that you missed them, but beware of speeding. I have heard of the speed cops on the Jaipur Highway also.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:06   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
120 against doing the same distance at 80. Difference has always been around 15-20 minutes so why would any one do these kind of speeds which is unsafe and will cost you(fuel) more to do the same distance is beyond any logic.
Yes, it's rarely about logic. You are spot on when you say that beyond 70-80 kmph, an additional small saving in time takes significantly more speed, effort and fuel. But high speed is rarely about logic, fuel or time - it's the thrill, the adrenaline rush.

By the way, I have often noticed that I get significantly higher mileage when I am out on the expressway and going at a consistent (even if high) speed, compared to slower but uneven speeds on smaller roads.
Old 8th January 2012, 19:19   #3038
Senior - BHPian

2007 Honda Civic, 11-13 kmpl in mixed driving conditions ,70% inter-city highways.
Old 8th January 2012, 23:26   #3039
Distinguished - BHPian

2011 Toyota Etios Liva D: 15.xx kmpl with 95% city driving in Mumbai - all sorts of traffic, or being ripped. Very happy with the results based on experience with our other cars.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:37   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
By the way, I have often noticed that I get significantly higher mileage when I am out on the expressway and going at a consistent (even if high) speed, compared to slower but uneven speeds on smaller roads.
The reason is that you are not wasting energy in constant accelerate-slow down-accelerate cycle. Every time you slow down you have wasted the energy spent in speeding up. The best FE you will get is at the speed corresponding to the peak torque, in the highest gear, driving with cruise control, which may be upto twice of the best you achieve on normal highway driving.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:55   #3041
BHPian

@Aroy.
Not sure if this needs to correspond with Highest Torque point. Otherwise as you said, its at RPM in highest gear, where there s enough torque just to keep the current speed towards lower RPM band. Very low, then you arent getting enough power/torque to keep the car in that speed. Just a little above, it'll stay in the speed. Guess this is the sweet spot.
Old 9th January 2012, 16:21   #3042
Senior - BHPian

guys, I changed my Dzire's tyres from 185/70/14 to 185/65/15. According to tyre size calculator the latter have 1.12% larger circumference. However on a recent long drive which I have done many times and where I have logged exact distances. I find my odometer shows 1.8 % less distance traveled. i.e. house to house bangalore to mumbai used to show 1013 km now it shows 995 km. So now FE has come down from 23 to 22.6 or should I factor in the 1.8% for FE calculations? I know it isn't much but still the doubt.
Old 10th January 2012, 00:50   #3043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
guys, I changed my Dzire's tyres from 185/70/14 to 185/65/15. According to tyre size calculator the latter have 1.12% larger circumference. However on a recent long drive which I have done many times and where I have logged exact distances. I find my odometer shows 1.8 % less distance traveled. i.e. house to house bangalore to mumbai used to show 1013 km now it shows 995 km. So now FE has come down from 23 to 22.6 or should I factor in the 1.8% for FE calculations? I know it isn't much but still the doubt.
Thats a excellent mileage for Dzire. What speed did you maintain?
Old 10th January 2012, 01:23   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Siddhesh, on a Delhi-Lansdowne 250-km run (with only last 30 km being hills) on an Endeavour 3.0 L Automatic 4X4, we got 7.63 kpl. Do you think that's decent for this vehicle, since you own one? I always felt that the driver could have extracted much better efficiency as they seemed to be driving in kick-down mode all the time. Also, the AT seemed to be having issues on the climbs in terms of selecting gears. Have you experienced this or was this poor throttle usage.

Note: I did not drive the vehicle anywhere and don't know much about ATs either. Road conditions were mostly undivided NH with usual UP traffic.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:17   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Siddhesh, on a Delhi-Lansdowne 250-km run (with only last 30 km being hills) on an Endeavour 3.0 L Automatic 4X4, we got 7.63 kpl. Do you think that's decent for this vehicle, since you own one? I always felt that the driver could have extracted much better efficiency as they seemed to be driving in kick-down mode all the time.
@architect, 7-8 seems to be the best possible for the Endy 3.0 AT 4x4. I have had one for almost two years now, 35000 km, and that's pretty much consistent in any driving condition - and I do a lot of both expressway and city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Also, the AT seemed to be having issues on the climbs in terms of selecting gears. Have you experienced this or was this poor throttle usage.
Probably incorrect throttle usage. I have driven the Honda Civic AT, and the Endy behaves much better in comparison, except for the rare misbehaviour. On ghats, on the climb, switching off the Overdrive option gives better performance, and on the climb down, switching to manual 3rd helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks