Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 22:43   #3196
BHPian

I drive almost 70 kms daily in my ford Figo TDCI. With ac completely on I get a mileage of 16. It's almost completely highway driving... But then in case I do a city driving then i get a mileage of around 13 to 14kmpl
Old 6th April 2012, 23:49   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Hyundai accent 1.5 petrol :

City- 9kmpl ( with 90% ac )
Highway- 12.5 kmpl ( with 90% ac )

KM's done so far 78000 and still going strong

Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 6th April 2012 at 23:50.
Old 6th April 2012, 23:56   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
When in second gear at the beginning of the slope the Swift diesel without pressing the accelerator pulls all the way up the slope cause of the torque of the engine.
Is the rpm without any input at 2nd gear the same as idling rpm?
Old 7th April 2012, 01:16   #3199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Is the rpm without any input at 2nd gear the same as idling rpm?
The rpm will decrease below idle rpm on releasing the clutch, but the ECM will inject more fuel, so that the engine does not stall and the rpm comes back to idle rpm. It's like pressing the accelerator to maintain idle rpm in a non-ECM vehicle.

I guess the anti-stall feature in newer cars is the same thing.
Old 7th April 2012, 12:47   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Pressing the accelerator is directly proportional to fuel consumption. In this case I am assuming your car is able to climb the slope without lugging & undue strain on the engine. This is definitely fuel efficient, but if the slope is just a couple of metres long, it won't matter much.

It won't affect the clutch at all. Clutch is likely to wear faster if you are riding the clutch while pressing the accelerator. In this case his left foot is completely off the clutch pedal & due to the good low end torque of the DDiS engine the car pulls up the slope quite effortlessly, transmitting the full engine power at idling to the front wheels.
You got it perfectly right AutoIndian. The instant one presses the clutch the torque is gone so this happens without me depressing the clutch. Thanks for the know how.
Old 7th April 2012, 14:56   #3201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOPS View Post
I drive almost 70 kms daily in my ford Figo TDCI. With ac completely on I get a mileage of 16. It's almost completely highway driving... But then in case I do a city driving then i get a mileage of around 13 to 14kmpl
Hello PSOPS. Do you drive very spiritedly, pressing the gas pedal all the time? Your Ford Figo TDCI is well capable of giving you a mileage of 16-17kmpl in city & 18-19 kmpl on highway runs. My humble old Indica, which has the ancient, naturally aspirated diesel engine returns me between 18-19kmpl. Obviously you need to follow certain driving etiquette (if I may say so). These are also mentioned at many places on TBHP, but no harm in repeating them over here:
  1. Observe the running-in limits strictly (till first 1000 kms).
  2. Use low Sulphur (typ 500 ppm) Diesel with a Cetane number of at least 50.
  3. Highway fuel efficiency is best at 80 - 85 kmph in 5th gear at 2000 to 2200 rpm approx. (I am a sedate driver anyway !!).
  4. The most important Instrument in the car is the Tacho.
  5. Gear shifting : Change up in the rpm band 2300 to 2500 ; Change down as per vehicle speed (5th to 4th when speed < 50 kmph; 4th to 3rd when speed <35 kmph; 3rd to 2nd when speed < 15 kmph). Use 1st gear only for moving from rest.
  6. Adjust A/C compressor belt tension for 5 - 7 mm flexing with finger pressure.
  7. Clean air filter weekly.
  8. Splash water on front of Radiator & condenser unit at least once a week.
  9. Check & adjust Injection Timing at 5000 kms 1st service, strictly as per workshop manual (VERY IMPORTANT)
  10. Never rev. the engine after starting or before switching off.
  11. Check wheel alignment at every service.
  12. Check EGR system functioning at every service (VERY IMPORTANT).
  13. Check & remove residue from catalytic converter every service.
Besides the above driving style can also affect your mileage & following can help you improve your FE:
  1. Don't accelerate unnecessarily.
  2. Use brakes sparingly (only when you want to stop, when you want to decelerate, shift down the gears instead of braking).
  3. Drive in anticipation. Means if you are 200 metres from a red light assume that it will turn red by the time you cross it, hence take the foot off the accelerator pedal, & let it coast till the signal instead of racing harshly & then braking.
  4. Also if there is a busy junction ahead, downshift & decelerate slowly instead of applying brakes at the last moment.
  5. Another most important factor contributing largely to the increased mileage is restriction on top speed (rpm). I am limiting myself to 75 kmph max (which corresponds to 2000 rpm) on clear/ straight stretches of road. I have been following this religiously for the last 3 tank fulls & the result is obvious. Mileage on last 3 occasions has been 19.89, 20.18 & 20.33 respectively).
  6. Whenever possible venture on the road during off-peak hours, which can contribute greatly to the mileage.
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 15:10   #3202
BHPian

My daily commute is approximately 50 KM from Vile Parle to Airoli. I drive Santro (2007). For last 2-3 refullings I am getting an average in between of 13.5 and 14 KM/L with minimum A/C (only 5% to 10% drive with AC). This is by tank full method .
Old 7th April 2012, 21:07   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am limiting myself to 75 kmph max (which corresponds to 2000 rpm) on clear/ straight stretches of road.
While there is no second opinion on the rest of the points, it is better to drive by varying the rpm over a range, say, 1750-3000 rpm.

This is because while driving at constant rpm(2000) and there is a incline on the road, the engine starts to lug.

Sudden acceleration-brake-accelerate style of driving is what is detrimental to FE.

Of course, FE drops after 2200 rpm, but then managing the time taken is also vital in a journey.
Old 7th April 2012, 22:31   #3204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
While there is no second opinion on the rest of the points, it is better to drive by varying the rpm over a range, say, 1750-3000 rpm.

This is because while driving at constant rpm(2000) and there is a incline on the road, the engine starts to lug.

Sudden acceleration-brake-accelerate style of driving is what is detrimental to FE.

Of course, FE drops after 2200 rpm, but then managing the time taken is also vital in a journey.
You are absolutely right, while on highways my rpm varies over a range of 1750-3000 rpm, at times it reaches beyond 3500. But then these are short spurts e.g while overtaking. While in city there is hardly any chance to rev that much & I eventually end up driving between 1700 - 2500 most of the times. And this has resulted in (you won't believe it) my city FE beating my highway FE, this would be unheard of.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 7th April 2012 at 22:32.
Old 7th April 2012, 22:51   #3205
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel

City with 100% AC - 18-19 kmpl
Highway with 100% AC - 20-23 kmpl
Old 7th April 2012, 23:41   #3206
BHPian

my i20 crdi
city around 15 kmpl ac on
highway 21+ kmpl with fully loaded and ac on
waiting for 2nd service. and 10k kms to try synthetic oil. :-)
Old 9th April 2012, 09:52   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Hello PSOPS. Do you drive very spiritedly, pressing the gas pedal all the time? Your Ford Figo TDCI is well capable of giving you a mileage of 16-17kmpl in city & 18-19 kmpl on highway runs. My humble old Indica, which has the ancient, naturally aspirated diesel engine returns me between 18-19kmpl. Obviously you need to follow certain driving etiquette (if I may say so). These are also mentioned at many places on TBHP, but no harm in repeating them over here:
Hey AutoIndian, That was a really detailed respose. Thanks for that. I drive my vehicle quite spiritedly ( In my View atleast ). But then after your feedback feel I should definetely have it checked once in the workshop for Mileage. I am also calculating mileage with the DTE ( Distance to Empty ) indicator (My Indicator shows around 725 Kms when I do a full tank ) probably thats errenous.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:19   #3208
Senior - BHPian

These are the F/E figures for my July 2010 Honda Civic V M/T, measured using the tankful-to-tankful method -

City figures:
1. Off-peak hours, AC on 50% of the time, minimal use of brakes - ~11.5 kmpl
2. Mostly off-peak hours, AC on all the time, relaxed driving - ~10.5 kmpl
3. Rush hour and frequent stop-start driving, AC on all the time - ~9 kmpl
4. Mostly off-peak hours, AC on all the time, mildly hard driving - ~10 kmpl

Highway figures:
1. Light load (2 pax + mild luggage) and moderate high-speed driving on divided highways - ~15 kmpl
2. Fully loaded (4/5 pax + trunk full of luggage) and busy or undivided highways - ~12.5 kmpl

To me, the weakest spot of the M/T Civic is its highway F/E. The engine and brakes demand to be used hard because of their awesomeness, and F/E suffers. The A/T Civic's taller 5th gear helps it tremendously on the highway compared to the M/T. People usually report around 17 kmpl in the highway scenario #1 above with A/T Civics.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th April 2012, 10:26   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Ritz Vdi May2011 model, gives me 17.5 in my daily run from Nerul, Navi Mumbai to Vikhroli LBS marg. Very happy with the mileage. Gave me 15 earlier but has been giving me 17.5 since I changed to synthetic engine oil.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:27   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey AutoIndian, That was a really detailed respose. Thanks for that.
My pleasure.

Quote:
I drive my vehicle quite spiritedly ( In my View atleast ). But then after your feedback feel I should definetely have it checked once in the workshop for Mileage. I am also calculating mileage with the DTE ( Distance to Empty ) indicator (My Indicator shows around 725 Kms when I do a full tank ) probably thats errenous.
Use only tankfull to tankfull method to calculate your FE, that is the most accurate. Moreover take the average of at least 5 tankfull to tankfull figures, before you can finally conclude what is your actual FE. The DTE ( Distance to Empty) though fairly accurate may lead to erroneous calculations (e.g. if the car is not parked on a levelled floor)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks