Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2012, 18:35   #3361
BHPian

Recently on a Delhi to Chandigarh trip I got an average of 18kmpl on my Palio 1.6!
The catch is that the drive was fairly relaxed and I stuck to the speed limit of 90kmph throughout.
Old 18th August 2012, 19:57   #3362
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Did Delhi-Chandigarh-Delhi on my 2 month old Verna Crdi Sx. Got FE of 22.5 Km/L for the trip.

Must say, 6th gear is really a blessing on highways and car cruises effortlessly.

In city I am getting around 14 Km/L in heave traffic and 100% AC.
Old 18th August 2012, 20:07   #3363
BHPian

What is the best way to measure fuel efficiency? Fill-to-Fill may not give you the exact figure.
Old 19th August 2012, 01:59   #3364
kkg
BHPian

Did a short three day trip to Delhi- Ludhiana -Delhi in my Tata Nano. The car was fully loaded with luggage and passengers ( 5 adults and 3 kids) while going to Ludhaina.

Managed to get 19.5kmpl with 100% a c usage and with some spirited driving. My wife is not happy with the FE as we managed 22kmpl last time on the highway, but that was with only two people on board and some relaxed driving.I am quite satisfied though.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:46   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet
What is the best way to measure fuel efficiency? Fill-to-Fill may not give you the exact figure.
There is no other way which will be accurate. Tankful to tankful is close enough and works for this purpose.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:48   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg
Did a short three day trip to Delhi- Ludhiana -Delhi in my Tata Nano. The car was fully loaded with luggage and passengers ( 5 adults and 3 kids) while going to Ludhaina.

Managed to get 19.5kmpl with 100% a c usage and with some spirited driving. My wife is not happy with the FE as we managed 22kmpl last time on the highway, but that was with only two people on board and some relaxed driving.I am quite satisfied though.
Kudos to you Sir. Not only did you do a Delhi Ludhiana Delhi trip in a nano, you did it twice. And with 5 adults and 3 kids! How?

I think we're going OT now but how safe is it to have 8 people in a nano?
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 13:01   #3367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg

i cant believe this.
how did you manage to get 8 people in a nano?
any pictures? i think tata will be very interested in having you endorse the nano.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:13   #3368
BHPian

Recently drove to Hyderabad from Bangalore and back. As the roads were fantastic, was able to maintain an average speed of 85kph (typically drove in the 120-140kph range, with some bursts to 150kph) on my Santro, including stops. However, the fuel efficiency was only 12.25kmpl.

Has anyone else driven with a Santro Xing at these speeds for extended periods of time (3-4 hours atleast)? If so, what fuel efficiency have you obtained in this situation?

Also, which sedan/SUV can I upgrade to from my Santro, which is diesel, has ABS and Airbags? I would like a high seating position and it should be able to cruise at 140-150kph if the road allows it.

I am guessing a 1.6 or 2.0 diesel engine with 100+bhp will give the best fuel efficiency at these speeds as the engine RPM will be much lesser?

What is the best fuel efficiency anybody has got at these speeds (140-160kph)?
Old 21st August 2012, 11:34   #3369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
Recently drove to Hyderabad from Bangalore and back. As the roads were fantastic, was able to maintain an average speed of 85kph (typically drove in the 120-140kph range, with some bursts to 150kph) on my Santro, including stops. However, the fuel efficiency was only 12.25kmpl.

Has anyone else driven with a Santro Xing at these speeds for extended periods of time (3-4 hours atleast)? If so, what fuel efficiency have you obtained in this situation?

Also, which sedan/SUV can I upgrade to from my Santro, which is diesel, has ABS and Airbags? I would like a high seating position and it should be able to cruise at 140-150kph if the road allows it.

I am guessing a 1.6 or 2.0 diesel engine with 100+bhp will give the best fuel efficiency at these speeds as the engine RPM will be much lesser?

@anoop.mathew, what are the modifications that you have done to your Santro to achieve something over 140 kmhp, & how empty were the roads?

I have only once done something like 135 kmph (when the speed cameras weren't used on the highways & the road was almost vacant of traffic), that too for short stint, but the overall speed with 3 breaks over 475 kms was shade over 80 kmph, & got much better mileage 17+, also because my car was barely 14 months old by then & had run only 7K kms.

For your new car, the VW twins should serve the purpose & Linea & new Fiesta are also good (but, these hardly sell). However, barring SX4, not many sedans offer high seating position.

You can also try the XUV500 or Duster110 top-end which tick most boxes, but, A.S.S. can be a issue with the Duster & electronic acting up or other minor niggles in XUV500.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 13:13   #3370
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Recently observed Fuel Efficiency of my Maruti WagonR K10:

Method: Tank full to Tank full
Distance: 350 Kms of whic 140 kms was on highways with little traffic & rest 210 kms in city with heavy Traffic
A/c Usage: 50%
Driving style: Conservative with single handed use.
Fuel Consumed: 25 Liters
Fuel Efficiency: 14 KMPL.

Earlier I got Fual Efficiency of 11.2 with only City Driving. So this time I have something to to happy .

Thanks,
Old 21st August 2012, 13:33   #3371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Kudos to you Sir. Not only did you do a Delhi Ludhiana Delhi trip in a nano, you did it twice. And with 5 adults and 3 kids! How?

I think we're going OT now but how safe is it to have 8 people in a nano?
My guess is its probably safer than this:

Watch the video here:
Attached Thumbnails
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-indianfamily6bike.jpeg  

Old 21st August 2012, 13:39   #3372
Senior - BHPian

Just did a Mumbai - Mahbaleshwar-Mumbai drive yesterday. Expressway and NH4 most of the way except 40kms of ghat roads. Average driving speeds on highway between 120-160kmph. Car Safari. Fuel average (tankful to tankful) was a fantastic 17.2kmpl!!!
Old 21st August 2012, 15:04   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
@anoop.mathew, what are the modifications that you have done to your Santro to achieve something over 140 kmhp, & how empty were the roads?
It's a stock Santro eRLX XL model. The roads were the best I've driven on, even better than Rajasthan - straight for the most part, really smooth and well designed curves. Not much traffic, and as it is a 4-lane highway (2 on either side), you can overtake quite easily.

The Santro needs time to reach 140kph, but can maintain it quite easily (although it is noisy). On the other hand, at 150kph, I was getting a burning smell Quickly backed off to 140kph! I did the 600 km drive in 7hrs, with about 45m of stoppage on the way for petrol and bio breaks.

Thanks for your input on the cars. Although the SX4 was not initially on my list, I might consider it now. The Skoda Yeti is the other one I am thinking about now. Unfortunately, both are very low volume selling cars.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:59   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your input on the cars. Although the SX4 was not initially on my list, I might consider it now. The Skoda Yeti is the other one I am thinking about now. Unfortunately, both are very low volume selling cars.
Considering every thing, I am a hard core Maruti fan. Have had them since 1991. Hence I consider SX4, ZDi a good buy if you want peace of mind and reasonable maintenance costs.
- You get a high GC car with good ride and decent handling.
- One of the best brakes in the segment.
- The spare tyre is a full sized Alloy.
- You have all the gizmos.
- The 1.3L diesel is a gem of an engine, tuned perfectly by MUL.
- A pretty big boot.

For out right performance nothing beats the Vento/Rapid duo. The down side is
- High cost of routine maintenance.
- High cost of spare parts.
- Protruding AC vent, cramping the fifth passenger, so it becomes a 4 person and not a 5 person car on highways.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 16:11   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Few years back (August 2005) I drove my Santro Xing from Mumbai to Belgaun. It was early morning start and covered 400kms in 6 hours with one 45 mins break. Touched 160 on the expressway. Most of the time I was driving at 120-130. On that run I got 13KMPL. On the way back I got 16 KMPL with sedate driving.

Quote:
Now I have Swift VDi and on the same stretch I got 15.5KMPL with speeds between 120-150KMPH and while returing got 19.5KMPL with speeds less than 110KMPH.(Wife was driving).
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks