Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2006, 12:03   #586
BHPian

May not be the right way to measure FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Just came back from a three day trip to Surat and back with my family.First things first,the NH8 is fantastic to drive on.Anybody wanting to have a blast must drive down to Daman or wherever just for the road itself.Total kms logged from Mumbai to Surat and back- 620 kms...........................................
So I can safely say that the 1.6 is definitely more economical on the highway than a 1.2.what else can I say.I've witnessed Santros giving 18kmpl on the highways.But 17 kmpl from a Palio 1.6 S10 is pretty darn good.I'll update w.r.t any discrepancies in Fe after topping up.
15.5 seems more realistic to me. I own a Petra petrol 1.6 and I got up to 13.5 KMPL on highways (Full load on car, being heavy footed & occasional 10-15 mins stops with engine and A/C on). 17+ seems like a stretch to me. Its great if you can get it really.

I have not been right every time I tried to estimate consumption based on position of Fuel Indicator.

Will wait for your final figures measured during refill.

Last edited by adya33 : 11th December 2006 at 12:15. Reason: Avoid quoting entire post
Old 11th December 2006, 17:44   #587
BHPian

Alright the official figures are in.Just topped up my car with Hp power from the Bandra Hp outlet.The low fuel warning lamp was on before the refill.
I was'nt way off with my estimation.The car took in 39 lts of fuel to the brim.So that makes the overall fe 15.89 kmpl!!
@ Sree - The car never crossed 3500 rpm for the entire trip.There were occasional bursts of speed upto 110 kmh,but for most part of the journey I kept it below 80 kmh.There were 4 onboard with luggage all the time.There was some 200 odd kms of night driving involved where I kept it between 60-70 kmh with the a/c off since the weather was pretty good.The car was in overdrive for most part of the journey as well.It wasnt a conscious decision to drive slowly for fe or anything.Probably I'm more of a driver who loves to cruise on a beautiful highway.And I prefer the initial surge till 70-80 rather than flat out acceleration and top speed.
That figure of 15.89 km involves some 45 minutes of traffic jam that I encountered towards the end of the journey once I touched kandivali-malad stretch on the highway.
Excluding this bad stretch,I believe the fe would have been better on the highway alone.So 16-17 kmpl would'nt be way off right?
I have witnessed similar figures while returning back from Lonavla on the expressway.The speeds were again between 60 and 80 kmh and the a/c was off.The rpm needle was hovering around 2000 rpm most of the time.We were just two onboard with no luggage.But I had just estimated the Fe back then.
If only the city mileage was better than 8-9 kmpl.Sigh.But I guess thats really asking a lot now.Its been really good on the trip,not just with fe,but the overall driving experience.Time for a good wash and wax treat now

Last edited by roms : 11th December 2006 at 17:58.
Old 11th December 2006, 18:22   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_2006
My 9 month old Santro erlx gives around 18 Kmpl in city ... 20 Kmpl on highways. My year old Alto Lxi gives 15 Kmpl in city.
Did I get that right ? Your 1100 cc heavyweight (compared to Alto) Santro returns more FE than your 800cc lightweight Alto ? Are you sure you posted right ?

I guess the Delhi/Noida traffic is lesser compared to other Metros and the roads are also better. But still, this is the 1st time I am hearing of city FE of 18kmpl for a Santro (eRlx or otherwise). This would be tough even for a M800/Alto in Chennai conditions. How do you measure the FE, BTW ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th December 2006 at 18:23.
Old 11th December 2006, 18:24   #589
BHPian

Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Alright the official figures are in.Just topped up my car with Hp power from the Bandra Hp outlet.The low fuel warning lamp was on ....
but the overall driving experience.Time for a good wash and wax treat now
Thats sounds very good. It surely shows how a good highway could help better FE. As you said a bigger engine always helps because of higher torque availability and OD in 4th and 5th gear adds to it.

In my case I had to speed up to 120+ to cover up lost time in the city or on crowded roads (with AC on ofcourse). If I had to maintain the speeds you mentioned It would have taken me close to 10 Hrs instead of 7-8 Hrs for my 400+ KM drive.
Old 11th December 2006, 19:21   #590
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I'm my santro i've never gotten above 16kmpl (highway), in city conditions without a/c my santro manages 14-15 but never more no matter wat.
Old 11th December 2006, 23:25   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Thats sounds very good. It surely shows how a good highway could help better FE. As you said a bigger engine always helps because of higher torque availability and OD in 4th and 5th gear adds to it.
Thanks Sree.Indeed,a good highway does help with the overall experience and fe.The Nh8 is great from Dahanu onwards.Plus it was refreshing to see that truckers were giving way even without even having to honk or flash headlights.Seems things are changing for the better.Anyways,unlike the Palio 1.6 or Petra,the S10 has OD only in 5th.

@Aza, at what speeds do you drive your car on the highway?I once drove a Santro on the Mumbai Pune expressway with speeds below 100 kmh and managed to extract 18 kmpl from it.Your city mileage is outstanding though.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:03   #592
BHPian

Palio 1.2 NV sports

City - 12 kmpl with 100% AC
14 kmpl without AC (Winters)

Highway - 15-16 kmpl with 100% AC
17 kmpl without AC

Also, i dont drive light footed ....gear shifts are normally at 4.5k to 5K
Old 12th December 2006, 14:25   #593

This is what i get in my Palio NV in Delhi-Gurgaon - its just six months old - and just before the second service:
In city (100% a/c) - 12.1; without a/c - 14

I havent driven it out on the highway yet - but i guess a 16-17 kpl can be expected. I guess the second service and oil changes will also make a big difference!! Amen..!!

I generally drive sane around 70-80kph at the 2000 rpm mark. Gear changes again around 2000 rpm. but yeah - once a while i do get insane and the needle goes to 4-5K :P. My driving is 50% gurgaon & 50% delhi with mild to heavy traffic - often snail pace.
hey one question to all the NV owners:
Whats the speeds on display at 1500 / 2000 / 2500 / 3000 rpm (all fifth gear). I just need to confirm. At whats the rpm when the speed is 100 kph??
cheers
Old 12th December 2006, 17:14   #594
BHPian

@gshankar
I never dreamt of driving at 1.5k & 2K RPM on 5th gear...there is no torque at all. Also i dont suggest that you coarse your engine on overdrive gear at such a low RPM. For cruising its fine but i dont think palio can pull at 1.5k on 5th gear

Maybe...i like it in midrange only

At 100kmph my RPM hovers around 3k mark in 5th gear...cant really tell you the speed for respective RPM readings as i dont look at the speedometer while revving

hope this helps
Old 12th December 2006, 21:30   #595
BHPian

I think its possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowthisguy View Post
@gshankar
I never dreamt of driving at 1.5k & 2K RPM on 5th gear...there is no torque at all. Also i dont suggest that you coarse your engine on overdrive gear at such a low RPM. For cruising its fine but i dont think palio can pull at 1.5k on 5th gear

Maybe...i like it in midrange only

At 100kmph my RPM hovers around 3k mark in 5th gear...cant really tell you the speed for respective RPM readings as i dont look at the speedometer while revving

hope this helps
Hey its an interesting observation, I'll try it on my petra and get back. If I am not wrong you can drive about 45+ KMPH in 5th gear at roughly 1.5K RPM.
Old 13th December 2006, 11:08   #596
BHPian

Hi Sreenivass,
It may altogether a different story, if you have 1.6 petra
On 1.2 with AC one cannot pull at 1.5K, need to downshift...maybe i like my car to have enough power to pull through the traffic.

Anyways...i am eager to know your comments as there mat be a fault with my driving style or car(god forbid)
Old 13th December 2006, 12:59   #597
BHPian

My observations bettered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowthisguy View Post
Hi Sreenivass,
It may altogether a different story, if you have 1.6 petra
On 1.2 with AC one cannot pull at 1.5K, need to downshift...maybe i like my car to have enough power to pull through the traffic.

Anyways...i am eager to know your comments as there mat be a fault with my driving style or car(god forbid)
IKTG

here are my observations (one person load, 5th gear)

(45+ to 50 KMPH) 1200 to 1300 RPM - Pulls, can feel the overdrive
(50+ KMPH) 1300+ RPM - comfortable pull
(55KMPH) 1400+ pulls well, goes up decent gradients in Jubilee Hills
(58-60 KMPH) 1500-1600 RPM can feel good pulling power

Hope this helps (On a petra 1.6 Petrol, 32 PSI might have helped, not sure. Stock tires no mods)
Old 13th December 2006, 16:01   #598
BHPian

@sreenivas...thats the beauty of 1.6 (torquey) engine ...in 1.2 we are left with nothing at this RPM range

I think you were confused with my car engine's capacity
Old 13th December 2006, 17:27   #599
BHPian

OMNI - 15 City
23 Highway ( Driving speed - 60 to 100KPH )

Esteem - 12 City
18 - 19 Highway ( Driving speed - 80 to 100 KPH )

Regards
Deepak
Old 13th December 2006, 18:05   #600
Senior - BHPian

ikon- 6
swift vxi(black)-7
swift vxi(silver)-10
esteem 96'-6kmpl

Most Viewed