Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2016, 16:52   #4831
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Honda City Diesel & Maruti Ciaz Diesel SHVS

Both Cars Running 120 Kms daily in which 30 Kms city driving and 90 Highway. A/c full time on.

Honda consistently giving about 21.5 to 22 Kmpl with fairly brisk driving at a continuous 100 and frequent braking on highway due to trucks. Maruti Ciaz also giving about the same. Although, Honda's display consistently shows 1.5 Kmpl more than actual according to our full tank method. Ciaz's fuel efficiency calculation on the other hand is quite accurate upto +- 0.2 Kmpl.

However, with speeds maintained within 80 to 90 kmph, we have also repeatedly attained efficiency of 22.5 Kmpl on the Honda and at one time even 23.5 in the Ciaz. Although, we generally dont drive so because it takes the fun out of it.
Old 24th July 2016, 16:54   #4832
BHPian

Oh and forgot to mention. these figures are with 185 tyres (steel rim) on the Honda as opposed to the stock 175 and 195 alloys on the ciaz as opposed to the 185 given in the steel rim variant.

MOD: used another post reply option because the edit button wouldnt work.
Old 24th July 2016, 23:10   #4833
BHPian

Swift Petrol 1.3 - G Series

Consistently returns over 10 Kmpl in city [ regardless of the A.C.] [ I generally give in to the pleasure and a heavy-footer]

Highway- 15.5 kmpl in the last highway Run when cruised at 90-100 during most times.

Can anyone with the old swift Petrol recheck if the numbers are fine !?

I once got a whopping 18kmpl on Highway [ with fully loaded 4 people and luggage] and it was the highest till date . I maintained a steady 90-100 kmph with 100% A.C.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:47   #4834
BHPian

Hyundai Creta 1.6 Crdi

Tankful Method

It consumed 39.47 litres of diesel for 590 kms of which a route of 180 kms it was stranded in traffic for more than 2 hours.

Usage pattern: 80% Highway & 20% City with 100% AC

FE: 14.94 Kmpl

The vehicle is still in run in period and present odo is shade over 1000 kms.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:51   #4835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Swift Petrol 1.3 - G Series

Consistently returns over 10 Kmpl in city [ regardless of the A.C.] [ I generally give in to the pleasure and a heavy-footer]

Highway- 15.5 kmpl in the last highway Run when cruised at 90-100 during most times.

Can anyone with the old swift Petrol recheck if the numbers are fine !?

I once got a whopping 18kmpl on Highway [ with fully loaded 4 people and luggage] and it was the highest till date . I maintained a steady 90-100 kmph with 100% A.C.
We have a 2005 Swift which I have never checked the mileage on tankful - tankful basis.
10 kmpl sounds about right in city. It was not a mileage engine anyway with that super throttle response in low rpms.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:38   #4836
Senior - BHPian

I had a query with regard to the algorithm on the fuel efficiency calculator in the MID of most cars. I have observed in several threads where few claimed a mileage of above >30km/l as indicated by the MID . Which, in my opinion is remotely possible in real life scenario. The calculation in these MID's are mostly skewed towards the manufacturer and is used solely for their marketing, in my opinion. I wanted to know how accurate the MID's are when they display a fuel efficiency of a whopping 30km/l.
I am ready to dump my 2-wheeler if there is a car that consistently delivers 30km/l.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 25th July 2016 at 12:07. Reason: Grammar correction
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 12:25   #4837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I had a query with regard to the algorithm on the fuel efficiency calculator in the MID of most cars. I have observed in several threads where few claimed a mileage of above >30km/l as indicated by the MID . Which, in my opinion is remotely possible in real life scenario. The calculation in these MID's are mostly skewed towards the manufacturer and is used solely for their marketing, in my opinion. I wanted to know how accurate the MID's are when they display a fuel efficiency of a whopping 30km/l.
I am ready to dump my 2-wheeler if there is a car that consistently delivers 30km/l.
Well I have been driving the new figo tdci for about 2 months now and have been maintaining a regular fuel consumption log via the thankful method. I have to say the fuel economy shown by the mid display corresponds to within 5 percent of the tankful figures. By the way the mid in the figo ranges from 0kmpl to 99.9 kmpl . The figo shows 99.9 kmpl when I take my foot of the gas. I know that this is quite unrealistic but then the average figures are reasonably accurate.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 14:04   #4838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Even i had the same query. I have been maintaining a log of the fuel refills in an app called Fuelio and the mileage calculated there and the mileage shown on the MID of my Zest differs quite a bit. ( sometimes upto 1.5 km/l)

I always fill up tank full upto the auto cutoff at the petrol pump.
Old 25th July 2016, 14:19   #4839

hi all ,
i have a 2015 elite i20 asta (o); diesel.
my current city is Bangalore

In city it gives 10-12 kmpl with 100% AC (its always stuck in traffic 30-40% of time and the engine is always on )

On highway, it gives 15kmpl with AC on , speed is usually above 100 km/h up to its limit ( 160-170 km/h ) ; i generally go to distant places for short period of time so never too polite with accelerator :')
generally there are 4-5 people with not so much luggage.

it once gave me 17kmpl with AC on; ONCE!

is there any one else who can confirm the figures?
i have never got a chance to use tankful method with efficient driving , much interested in knowing the figures with efficient driving.

Last edited by shobbhitmishra : 25th July 2016 at 14:35.
Old 25th July 2016, 15:15   #4840

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
My Elite i20 diesel returns an average of close to 15 in the city and on the highways it goes up to 20.Have been always driving with the AC on, and set at 23 degrees.
I have tried changing my driving style in the city but the FE has hardly improved, its always stuck up between 14.8-15.2 kmpl.
those are some impressive numbers.
i haven't yet touched 20 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
These are figures I get from the day of purchase, in the city however u drive the FE remains the same. Even with the jams, without jams or whatever FE is almost the same!. Not that I am dissatisfied with the FE, its when I see figures of 18,20 in city figures that some of you quote that makes me sad .

On a funny note, my cars Fuel meter goes down very slowly till it reaches the half way mark and then it goes down as if it's running a Marathon. Till the half way mark It goes 400+ kms and after the half way mark to the low fuel warning it goes 200+kms :banghead: .
, it doesnt matter how are you driving this car in city , fuel economy is always same.

Hyundai need to do something with its fuel meter , its always tough to look at later half of it.

anyway , can you tell me which variant of the car you have ?
i have heard top trims tend to give 1-2 kmpl less than the basic one; as there are more electronics inside the car and its generally heavier too , due to extra weight of ABS etc.
shobbhitmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 15:49   #4841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj1266 View Post
Even i had the same query. I have been maintaining a log of the fuel refills in an app called Fuelio and the mileage calculated there and the mileage shown on the MID of my Zest differs quite a bit. ( sometimes upto 1.5 km/l)
1.5 Km/l is very much with in the limits in my opinion. I have seen couple of instances in my colleague's Ertiga, when the indicated fuel efficiency was 20km/l, where as the actual (tankful to tankful) was around 15km/l. These calculations are instantaneous,predictive and hence,mostly inaccurate. The algorithm should take tankful as a reference for the calculations, if it is a possibility. However, if the predicted efficiency is within 5-10% difference from actual, then it might be acceptable for a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobbhitmishra View Post
i have heard top trims tend to give 1-2 kmpl less than the basic one; as there are more electronics inside the car and its generally heavier too , due to extra weight of ABS etc.
I do not think the additional weight on an already heavy car would reduce the mileage by such a significant number.
Old 25th July 2016, 15:51   #4842
BHPian

Quote:
hi all ,

In city it gives 10-12 kmpl with 100% AC (its always stuck in traffic 30-40% of time and the engine is always on )

On highway, it gives 15kmpl with AC on , speed is usually above 100 km/h up to its limit ( 160-170 km/h ) ; i generally go to distant places for short period of time so never too polite with accelerator :')

i have never got a chance to use tankful method with efficient driving , much interested in knowing the figures with efficient driving.
That are poor numbers for an Elite I20 1.4L given the FE legacy of the CRdi Engine of the Hyundais.

My BiL's Verna 4S 1.6 returns almost 15 kmpl in city and 20+ at highways even with spirited driving.

I think your car should easily emulate a Verna's Stats.

Try changing the Fuel Station or maintain a light foot to check the accurate FE ..
Old 25th July 2016, 17:09   #4843

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
That are poor numbers for an Elite I20 1.4L given the FE legacy of the CRdi Engine of the Hyundais.

My BiL's Verna 4S 1.6 returns almost 15 kmpl in city and 20+ at highways even with spirited driving.

I think your car should easily emulate a Verna's Stats.

Try changing the Fuel Station or maintain a light foot to check the accurate FE ..
those very good numbers !!
i feel sad about my car now!

in Bangalore its kind of tough to get to the enough speed range to drive the car efficiently but ill try it next time i go for some long trip, for the fact , day before yesterday only i went to Chennai and came back , so above results are quite recent.

as far as fuel is concerned , i use shell 90% of the time and move to any other station only when i have only few ml of fuel left and there is no shell station nearby.

do you think its gonna give better FE after 3rd service ?
my car had its 2nd free service few months back (march end) at some 9k kilometers ,
its some 15k now.
Old 25th July 2016, 17:33   #4844
BHPian

Quote:
hi all ,

I don't know if the car has calibrated to your driving style. Don't know if that's possible also.

My 2015 Verna 1.6 diesel gives 14 kmpl in city and 19-20 on the highways, some spirited driving and it still hasn't dropped below 18kmpl . All drives with AC set at 24 degrees and tyre pressure at 32psi. Odo: 48000 Kms.

Might try changing your fuel station or a slight change in driving style might help.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 25th July 2016, 17:49   #4845
Senior - BHPian

I have found that smaller engines consume more fuel compared to larger engines in heavy urban traffic conditions. Our Alto K10 has lower FE than our Honda City in similar driving conditions (10 vs 12+). Once on the highway the smaller engine leaps ahead.

Most Viewed