Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 17:56   #4846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobbhitmishra View Post
hi all ,
i have a 2015 elite i20 asta (o); diesel.
my current city is Bangalore

In city it gives 10-12 kmpl with 100% AC (its always stuck in traffic 30-40% of time and the engine is always on )

On highway, it gives 15kmpl with AC on , speed is usually above 100 km/h up to its limit ( 160-170 km/h ) ; i generally go to distant places for short period of time so never too polite with accelerator :')
generally there are 4-5 people with not so much luggage.

it once gave me 17kmpl with AC on; ONCE!

is there any one else who can confirm the figures?
i have never got a chance to use tankful method with efficient driving , much interested in knowing the figures with efficient driving.
I'm surprised you're getting such figures with a 6 speed transmission! We used to get the exact same figures on our 5 speed i20 CRDi. Your seem to be nailing the pedal! I guess anticipation and driving during lean traffic hours will improve those figures!
Since you're driving so hard, it pays to use synthetic engine oil with regular cleaning/replacement of the air filter!
Happy driving!!!
Coincidentally, we get more mileage in our Vento than we could ever imagine with the i20- 20.6kmpl using the full tank method while doing speeds you have mentioned above!
Old 25th July 2016, 18:17   #4847
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobbhitmishra View Post
those very good numbers !!
i feel sad about my car now!

in Bangalore its kind of tough to get to the enough speed range to drive the car efficiently but ill try it next time i go for some long trip, for the fact , day before yesterday only i went to Chennai and came back , so above results are quite recent.

as far as fuel is concerned , i use shell 90% of the time and move to any other station only when i have only few ml of fuel left and there is no shell station nearby.

do you think its gonna give better FE after 3rd service ?
my car had its 2nd free service few months back (march end) at some 9k kilometers ,
its some 15k now.
Maintain a light foot while you drive.

Do not rev more than what is required and try to maintain a speed @ 2000-2500 RPM which would be approx 110 [ it is 120 kmph for a Verna IIRC] in highway drives and I am sure you'll be rewarded with better FE.

And of course, the FE will steadily increase with the upcoming services.

Also, IIRC, it is advisable not to touch high speeds [ maintain always <120-130 kmph] in the initial phase of the car.
Old 26th July 2016, 00:22   #4848
BHPian

The XUV 500 I am running on a day to day basis in heavy traffic of Delhi is turning out around 12 kmpl. Which i think is good enough with the ac on full blast.

As far as those highway drives are concerned. Running on cruise control at the speed of 110. The car is comfortably getting 15 kmpl.

The instrument cluster on the other hand is a little optimistic showing 16.2 kmpl. The measurements are done by tank full method.

Also one point I noticed that on a weekend highway trip. When there was a single bag kept on the roof top carrier the average decreased dramatically. The drag caused dropped the mileage to around 13 on the highway.

But looking at the size of the engine the efficiency is more than satisfactory.
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 16:49   #4849
Distinguished - BHPian

This "mere dad ki marooti".
Jokes apart, this car has gone from 14kmpl last year to 10.9 today, before I reset the calculator(This was the first reading. itll go up in about 10-15 kms.)
Maruti, FNG, no one has been able to figure out what could be wrong. Any guidance?
Attached Thumbnails
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-temp.jpg  

Old 11th August 2016, 10:16   #4850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This "mere dad ki marooti".
Jokes apart, this car has gone from 14kmpl last year to 10.9 today, before I reset the calculator(This was the first reading. itll go up in about 10-15 kms.)
Maruti, FNG, no one has been able to figure out what could be wrong. Any guidance?
What car is this? There could be many reasons for dropped FE.

For Petrol
1. Carbon and sludge accumulation due to heavy B2B
2. Air Filter dirty
3. Accumulated carbon in the engine
4. Throttle body needs cleaning
5. Malfunctioning spark plugs

For Diesel
1. Carbon and sludge accumulation due to heavy B2B
2. Air Filter dirty
3. Accumulated carbon in the engine
3. Clogged injectors

On the whole the reasons are practically same of either fuel. In case the car has been used in heavy B2B traffic for the last four months or more, then all you need is to take it to a highway and drive at 90+ for around 100 km. That will clean up all the carbon and sludge accumulated in the engine and FE will jump up back to 14+.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 10:26   #4851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What car is this? There could be many reasons for dropped FE.
My bad.
Its a 2011 Dzire Vxi(petrol). Its done 77k kms, and has been maintained at ASC. It has regular highway runs. I'll get everything cleaned up once, like you said. Hopefully, the FE will get better. Thanks.
Old 11th August 2016, 11:15   #4852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad.
Its a 2011 Dzire Vxi(petrol). Its done 77k kms, and has been maintained at ASC. It has regular highway runs. I'll get everything cleaned up once, like you said. Hopefully, the FE will get better. Thanks.
You have to do a 100km run every now and then if you are stuck in B2B traffic daily. At those speeds the engine does not heat up enough to evaporate the carbon deposits and sludge. So once the response to throttle becomes relatively sluggish and the FE goes down, you are ready for a long highway run.
Old 16th August 2016, 20:42   #4853
BHPian

I found this thread very useful while deciding my purchase two years back.
I picked up a used A-Star MT and here are my stats :

Odo :
45224 Km

Average KMPL over last 12K Km :
15.39 Kmpl over 75/25 City/Highway split with 80% AC

Best mileage :
22.78 Kmpl over 495Km trip @ 85Kmph cruising speed with 90% AC

Worst mileage :
11.76 Kmpl over a 48Km drive in rain and bad traffic

I use the Fuelio mobile App to keep track of the Star's fueling history.
All my mileage readings are tankful to tankful using Shell regular fuel with System-G.
City usage is on weekends only and through medium traffic.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 16th August 2016 at 20:53.
Old 17th August 2016, 21:19   #4854
BHPian

Quote:
My bad.
Hi mayankk, I have a 2010 dzire VXI, and I get around 14 in city and around 17+ in highways using tankful method. Can you also check FE via tankful method to confirm the in-built method works fine?
Old 18th August 2016, 16:27   #4855
BHPian

Hyundai Creta 1.6 Crdi - Tankful Method with 100% AC on
  • 514.6 Kms in 28.99 litres of Diesel, FE 17.75 Kmpl (90% Highway & 10% City)
  • 574.8 kms in 33.61 litres of Diesel, FE 17.10 Kmpl (85% Highway & 15% City) - Post 1st free service
Considering the size of the vehicle not bad FE , speeds maintained between 80-110, up shifts just under 2K Rpm.

Love this 1.6 CRDI silent & refined engine. Present ODO is just a shade over 2200 kms.
Old 24th August 2016, 18:09   #4856
BHPian

Checked FE in my Ciaz ZXi for the last 1600km with 80% drive within Bangalore city. MID gave 14.5kmpl & tankful to tankful gave 13.6kmpl. I guess 1kmpl discrepancy is expected.
Btw, this 1600 included 3 tripmeter resets & my previous tankful was 900km before starting this. I hope I didn't make any mistake in the complex calculation. Well check with tankful method again in a simpler manner.
Old 7th September 2016, 10:10   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
Odo: 16,877
AC: 100%
City/Highway: 85/15 (with many short trips)
FE: 15.8 km/l (MID AVG was 20.4 km/l)
Vehicle: Maruti Suzuki Dzire VXi | 2014 | Petrol
Odo: 19,221
AC: 100%
City/Highway: 80/20 with lots of B2B traffic, short trips, wading through rain water, etc.,
FE: 15.1 km/l (MID AVG was 19.3 km/l)

Got my 20K service done as well at MASS which costed me ₹5,400/- (including a new cabin air filter)
Old 15th September 2016, 10:43   #4858
BHPian

I have a Santro Xing 2005 model, which has done ~130k KMs. As my office is very near to my home, I end up in doing less than 400-500 KMs per month.

For me, the car gives around 10-11 KMPL in the city without AC. These values are with sedate driving.
But whenever I take the car on long trips, it gives me ~17-18KMPL even with 100% AC on.

What could be the reason behind this drastic difference in city and highway FE?

Note that I regularly service the car even if it doesn't complete the recommended KMs, just to keep it in good shape.

Any help appreciated!
Old 15th September 2016, 12:59   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
I have a Santro Xing 2005 model, which has done ~130k KMs. As my office is very near to my home, I end up in doing less than 400-500 KMs per month.

For me, the car gives around 10-11 KMPL in the city without AC. These values are with sedate driving.
But whenever I take the car on long trips, it gives me ~17-18KMPL even with 100% AC on.

What could be the reason behind this drastic difference in city and highway FE?

Note that I regularly service the car even if it doesn't complete the recommended KMs, just to keep it in good shape.

Any help appreciated!
Irrespective of which city you drive your car in, you will encounter the following driving conditions in the city:
  • Choc-a-bloc traffic
  • Frequent gear changes and braking
  • Lot of bumps, signals, pot-holes etc
  • Very little opportunity to drive in top gear
  • Increased idling (hence wastage of fuel) at traffic lights and traffic jams.
Every time after you brake you have to press the accelerator to get the car going ahead. Every time you change the gear you have to race the engine to gain momentum. All the above takes a heavy toll on fuel consumption.

Now compare this with highway driving. Most (if not all) highways you would usually encounter the the following driving conditions:
  • Wide open roads
  • Once in top gear, you can keep cruising at a steady speed for prolonged duration
  • Infrequent braking or gear changes due to less obstacles
The higher the distance you travel in top gear, lesser is the fuel consumption.

With some sedate, predictive and defensive driving you can increase your fuel efficiency even while driving in city.
  • Don't get into a drag race as the traffic lights turn green
  • If car is at standstill for more than one minute (signal or jam), switch off the engine
  • Anticipate the traffic ahead. If you are approaching a signal don't zoom before it turns red. Ease off the accelerator and let the car coast till the signal. If it turns red, apply brakes gently, else go past it and then slowly increase your speed.
  • If you are approaching a speed-breaker, ease off the accelerator, & just apply gentle pressure on brake pedal. Once you cross the bump accelerate gently to gain momentum.
  • A relaxed driving style in city helps a lot to keep you blood pressure in control and the car will reward you back by decreased fuel consumption and prolonged engine and transmission life.
Note: I practiced the above things religiously in my three cars & I was rewarded with the below figures:
  • My Indica crossed 150K kms without any engine problems.
  • Changed my factory fitted clutch @ 110K kms
  • Overall mileage was 18.5+ kmpl (around 17 in city and 19 on highways)
  • Even my Innova used to return around 12-13 kmpl in city driving
  • And now my TUV gives me 14 kmpl in city driving
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 09:52   #4860
BHPian

Thank you sir for the wonderful explanation and the tips!

Most of the times, I do follow these rules: avoid sudden acceleration/sudden braking, drive sedately. But yes, there are exceptions and those will hamper the FE in city.

But is this drastic difference in FE between city and highway is acceptable? I know few colleagues who drive enthusiastically but still get around 13-14kmpl in city with AC (I agree they have newer cars, and much fuel efficient than mine), that made me wonder if I need to change my driving style or there's some issue with the car.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed