Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2017, 21:25   #5011
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

I drive the 2012 Honda City which has covered around 46000 kms. My current work commute is 4 kilometres one way from Sion to BKC through they very congested LBS road. The FE that i see on the odo is a shocking 7.8 kmpl. This has been the case for 3-4 months now.

Is there anyway that this may be considered par for the course?

There is no stretch on the commute where I can drive beyond 40-45 kmph and there is one signal with b2b traffic.

Is there anything I can do to improve this? Genuinely frustrated.
Old 19th August 2017, 23:27   #5012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
I drive the 2012 Honda City which has covered around 46000 kms. My current work commute is 4 kilometres one way from Sion to BKC through they very congested LBS road. The FE that i see on the odo is a shocking 7.8 kmpl. This has been the case for 3-4 months now.

There is no stretch on the commute where I can drive beyond 40-45 kmph and there is one signal with b2b traffic.

Apart from the traffic your problem lies in the fact that your daily commute is too less. The engine needs some time to get to it's optimum operating temperature and till then it is bound to give poor fuel economy (which in your case would be a major chunk of your ride).

As an aside, how much fuel economy do you get when traveling outstation or exclusively on highways or freeways?
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 23:52   #5013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Completed a round trip of 470 km with four on board & with half boot luggage. Got an actual FE of 19 kmpl, tank full method. Driving style - slow acceleration but if road permits , I drive at 110-120 kmph.
My car- 2011 1.6 CRDI Fluidic Verna, done 77 k so far. Quite happy with highway FE. But city FE is around 14 @ Bhubaneswar. My friends with 1.3 Scross get around 18 kmpl under similar driving conditions, quite a difference.

Same here buddy, my Jan 2015 Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi gives me 13-14 kmpl in Bengaluru b2b traffic. Highways I don't push her beyond 120. Gives me 18-20 kmpl. She's done about 85k kms. Heavy running. In 2 years 8 months she's done 85k kms. Very happy with the car overall.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 20th August 2017, 01:04   #5014
BHPian

Quote:
I drive the 2012 Honda City... FE that i see on the odo is a shocking 7.8 kmpl. This has been the case for 3-4 months now.

There are multiple reasons which can lower your FE (You might already know most of these)
- Shorter commute
- Low quality fuel. Try changing petrol pump if you don't trust the pump where you are filling up now
- Lots of idling. If you have a habit of idling at signals and traffic jams, that can greatly reduce FE. The effect of switching off engine in longer signals/jams can improve FE significantly. Moreover, another trick I follow to reduce idling is by choosing travel time wisely. Try to drive during non-peak time. I noticed good improvement in FE when I started leaving office at 6 instead of 7 (it depends on the place and roads)
- Unnecessary braking. While braking, we are just wasting the kinetic energy produced by burning fuel. Coasting is an effective way to improve FE (if you are not doing this already). If you see a signal/traffic jam ahead, just remove foot from accelerator pedal. This way, can coast lots of distance slowly decelerating and you have to downshift/brake only from a lower speed instead of maintaining speed till last moment and braking.
- Clutch riding & unnecessary use of acc & brake in very slow moving B2B traffic. While starting from stand still, try waiting for the vehicle in front to move ahead a little bit, completely release clutch and car will move by itself in 1st gear very slowing even without any accelerator input. This way, amount of accelerator input is reduced (i.e. fuel consumption)

All of these combined might results in a bad FE. If you already follow most of the best practices given above, then whatever you are getting is too low. It's better get checked if it got drastically reduced only recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Apart from the traffic your problem lies in the fact that your daily commute is too less
Even though the daily commute is less for him, that alone cannot result in this kind of FE. Distance from my home to office is less than 4km and I'm consistently getting 11-12kmpl (my car is Ciaz though)
Midas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 08:19   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As other members have rightly pointed out your daily short distance commute to office is the primary reason for your very poor fuel efficiency. What happens when you drive short distances like this:
  • Your engine does not get sufficient time to warm up and reach the optimum operating temperature. This results in less than complete combustion of fuel.
  • Due to choc-a-block traffic you are forced to drive in lower gears, which again results in poor F.E.
  • You have to brake a lot, hence the momentum gained is lost in heat energy generated by the brakes.
Just to overcome the F.E gremlin, you can take your car for a long drive on Eastern Express Highway or better still drive on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway to & fro i.e. a round trip of at least 300 kms. Ensure to do a tankful before you start your journey and then again do a tankful when you complete your journey. Now you measure the F.E, tankful to tankful, I can assure you that you will be surprised by the results.

If the above does not yield the expected results, then try changing your fuel bunk and repeat the same exercise.

If this too does not help, then get your car serviced, change the air filter, oil & oil filter and repeat the same exercise.

Another aspect, which I didn't purposefully touch upon is one's driving style. One needs to adapt his driving style according to road conditions, traffic, climate & other such parameters. My principle is keep sedate driving style while driving in city and slightly aggressive while on highways.

Last but not the least. Don't bother too much about your F.E. that the car is giving for your daily drive of 4+4=8 kms. In terms of money spent @ Rs 10/km (Petorl @ Rs 78/litre and your F.E. of 7.8 kmpl). You are not spending more than Rs 80 per day on your daily travel, which is far far less compared to most of the folks out here. If you were doing 50 km per day or more then the low F.E. would have been really worrisome.

So best remedy would be just chill out, manage the daily short drive to your office listening to some good music, take your car on week end long drives around Mumbai, Pune and enjoy the lively i-Vtec motor, you will have full "paisa-wasool"
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 09:23   #5016
Senior - BHPian

Vento Highline 1.5 liter TDI DSG.
Odo mark of close to 36000 km as of today.
Monthly driving around 1700-1800 km.
Daily driving about 70% on highway like roads and rest in slow moving traffic with A.C on. Speed range between 80-90km/h on the highway stretch.
Been getting FE of close to 21-22 km/l. Sometimes more than that depending on traffic.
Old 11th October 2017, 17:28   #5017
Senior - BHPian

Honda City 1.5 iVTEC 2008 Dec, 1,28,xxx Km

12-14.5 on Kerala highways, including town. Tank full to tank full method, usually gets 400 - 450 Kms for 29 to 32 liters of petrol.
Old 12th October 2017, 18:06   #5018

Quote:
I drive the 2012 Honda City which has covered around 46000 kms. My current work commute is 4 kilometres one way from Sion to BKC through they very congested LBS road. The FE that i see on the odo is a shocking 7.8 kmpl. This has been the case for 3-4 months now. .
Here I thought I'm the only one. My 2008 Wagon R AX (yep that 3 speed automatic thingy) is probably giving me 6kmpl in Bangalore. However, the conditions are worse than yours for me:
  • Office commute is barely 8-10km including both ways
  • Basement ramp is steep and it's barely able to climb that, given that it's an AX
  • Car is a bit heavier on the back side due to modification for wheelchair access, also has 3 folks sitting
  • Whole route is on the worst affected areas of Bangalore due to metro construction. B2b crawling no red lights

Since it makes 2 trips to office in a day, the FE is biting into my wallet, esp after driver's cut
StringerBell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 08:26   #5019
SRT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Honda City 1.5 iVTEC 2008 Dec, 1,28,xxx Km

12-14.5 on Kerala highways, including town. Tank full to tank full method, usually gets 400 - 450 Kms for 29 to 32 liters of petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Amazing figures for Honda i-vtec petrol engines , do we have any other petrol engines that give us such good figures . Does anyone have the numbers for new city . I am looking for a frugal automatic and I was closing in on TDi DSG models , but diesel future seems to be bleak and I am inclined towards a frugal petrol automatic. If Honda could launch HR-V I would be the first one to grab.
Honda city 1.5 iVtec 2010 model,1.35 Lakhs Kms, max mileage achieved is 22.3 KMPL. (MID display 23.8-1.5 error for 100 Kms trip). Mileage varies from 10-23 kmpl depends on driving style, traffic, and road.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-1508036145787.jpg  

What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-1508036159030.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2017 at 17:02.
Old 15th October 2017, 15:12   #5020
BHPian

Ford EcoSport 1.5 diesel Titanium 2016, completed 620kms from Chennai to Tirunelveli yesterday and got a fuel efficiency of 17.8kmpl with speeds maintained at 110-120 kmph.
Old 15th October 2017, 16:50   #5021
BHPian

Polo GT Tsi, I have driving the car regularly only since June 2017, it was 18k then.It is 26k now, mix of city and highway driving.
I have seen a low of 11kmpl in thick traffic and a high of 20.5 kmpl on highways at 90 kmph with the AC on.
On a monk like drive once, even managed 21+ kmpl consistently.
Tankfull average hovers around 13kmpl.
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 17:04   #5022
BHPian

My Ritz vdi with that awesome multijet diesel engine consistently gave me between 14 and 15.5 in bumper to bumper BLR traffic. In the highways, I could extract 22 in non ghat areas and in drives that included ghats, I could get 18 to 19 for the full trip.

This is over 36000 kms
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 17:47   #5023
BHPian

Creta 1.4, 7k on the odo gives me 15 on an average in B2B with and with out the RD dual channel box. On Highway without dual channel box it was 18. I haven't tested on highway with RD box yet.
Old 15th October 2017, 21:46   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Honda city 1.5 iVtec 2010 model,1.35 Lakhs Kms, max mileage achieved is 22.3 KMPL. (MID display 23.8-1.5 error for 100 Kms trip). Mileage varies from 10-23 kmpl depends on driving style, traffic, and road.
Even I have achieved those kinda off figures for short drives. A little OT are you running the stock clutch? My steering rack is rattling badly now over broken roads, replacement will setback 50K INR.
Old 15th October 2017, 22:46   #5025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drive the 2012 Honda City which has covered around 46000 kms. My current work commute is 4 kilometres one way from

I am too using my City i-VTEC for shorter distance these days. 3-4 kms each side gives 8-9 KMPL as per MID.

For normal commutes like 20-30 kms, average is around 12-13.

I believe what you are facing is completely normal. Shorter distance will always result in low fuel efficiency.

Last edited by bluevolt : 15th October 2017 at 22:47.

Most Viewed