Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2018, 09:45   #5101
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
I'd not call you less fortunate - I think it's the city we live in.
We have a 2017 December New Verna, and tank-to-tank FE is around 6.5KM/l in Mumbai traffic, daily running of ~20km, with AC.
Isn't that too low? What can we do to get this checked up and resolved?

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2018 at 07:06. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 19th April 2018, 21:53   #5102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
We have a 2017 December New Verna, and tank-to-tank FE is around 6.5KM/l in Mumbai traffic, daily running of ~20km, with AC.
Isn't that too low? What can we do to get this checked up and resolved?
I'm unfortunately not aware of Mumbai traffic so can't comment, (assuming this is a petrol automatic variant like mine) one suggestion I have for you is to make note of average speed between refills as well... (my Verna's MID has that, which I reset at every refill along with the trip meter).
Every time I've found the FE to be lower than usual 11 km/l, I find the average speed to be lower as well - for me 22-24 kmph average speed correlates with 11km/l FE.
If everything is alright with your Verna, I'd expect your average speed to be significantly lower than mine.

Another thing is that my MID shows average fuel consumption with a fairly consistent offset of 0.5-0.7 km/l when compared with tank full method (MID reported FE is higher). You'd want to see what's the offset for your conditions.

Maybe removing the (inconsistent, I might) traffic out of the equation will aid interpretation of the data.
Armed with all of the above, consider going on an early morning run of 100km+ one of these days and make a note of average speed, distance and FE reported by MID.

I don't drive enthusiastically, and at consistent high speed runs Verna reports my FE to be around 15km/l. Based on what you see, you can gauge if something indeed needs your attention.
actinium15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 14:11   #5103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
I'm unfortunately not aware of Mumbai traffic so can't comment, (assuming this is a petrol automatic variant like mine) one suggestion I have for you is to make note of average speed between refills as well. (my Verna's MID has that, which I reset at every refill along with the trip meter).
You're right - average speed on the MID is only around 6-7 KPH! Isn't that too low?
And my car is the Petrol manual variant, not the automatic.
I think the low average speed seems to be the problem - if the car spends too much time idling at the signals, which will skew the speed downward, I'll have to mention to the driver to put the engine off every time.

Thanks for the heads-up. Will look into this.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2018 at 07:05. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 20th April 2018, 17:51   #5104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
You're right - average speed on the MID is only around 6-7 KPH!... I think the low average speed seems to be the problem - if the car spends too much time idling at the signals, which will skew the speed downward, I'll have to mention to the driver to put the engine off every time.
Unless the 20+ kms takes 3+ hours, yes this is too low.

Another thing Verna's MID has is engine running time which should help nail this down further if you are meticulous about resetting it on refueling.

While I don't have any idea about your traffic conditions, I don't think "keeping the engine idling at traffic lights" alone would be to blame - perhaps your driver is keeping the engine running while the vehicle is parked. Maybe for keeping the AC running, and/or listening to music without the fear of battery being drained.
actinium15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 10:17   #5105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Your best is just around 21 kmpl only? The ARAI rating is at around 25 kmpl, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
You sound very dismissive of such claims. Ford Figo diesel certainly delivers better FE both in city and on highways. Not sure why'd you have such doubts.
Quote:
Some tall claims are floating around with the FE of both.
Quote:
Is the new Figo more fuel efficient than the Swift when it comes to actual figures? Especially in city drives?
Long term FE figures for the Ford new Figo diesel.

Typical Kerala town to town FE is just 18 kmpl. If it is inside the town only the FE comes down to 13 kmpl.

Vento would have got me 19 kmpl on Kerala highways and Micra 21-22 kmpl on similar drives.

Measured multiple times on tank-full to tank-full basis. Full time a/c on and mostly 1 to 3 persons. Once on a careful drive on traffic-less highway got 22 kmpl, the best ever.
Old 10th June 2018, 12:21   #5106
BHPian

Some of our members are missing out on the Name of the Car. Please try to put the Name of the Car and Fuel type, in the beginning of the post and then follow up with description. This will help other members in correlating Fuel efficiency of different manufacturers.
Old 10th June 2018, 13:26   #5107
BHPian

Car:RITZ VDI (2012 Pre facelift model)
Fueliesel
Distance: 404.7 km (25% heavy traffic,75% free traffic, not highway)
FE: 16.71KMPL
SOme time back, when I just ran in inside city alone (Trivandrum, Karamana East fort area), the FE dropped to 13.4KMPL.
Now with the above reading my faith in RITZ is restored!
Old 11th June 2018, 05:12   #5108
BHPian

Car : Ritz Zxi (2011)

Petrol
I never used to measure the fuel consumption exactly. However this thread got me interested after some 7 years and 35000km (yes, only 35k!).

I tried the tank full method and realised that I get about 11kmpl with 100% AC and 100% city traffic primarily on my office runs - 7km one side with fairly slow moving traffic all the way. I am a fairly sedate driver with upshifts before 2k rpm.
Old 11th June 2018, 08:07   #5109
BANNED

Car: Hyundai Creta 1.6L CRDi SX(O) - Post Remap
Fuel: Diesel
Current odometer: 26,427 kms
Method: Tankful - Tankful
A/C usage: 75% (with ACC set at 24 deg)
Terrain usage: 45% city & 55% Highway
Last tank FE: 21.7 kmpl
Average FE: 18.8 kmpl
Passengers: Only Driver
Luggage: Nil
Tyre pressure: 33-34 psi (monitored daily)

Summary
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-screenshot_20180611070832.jpg

Range for the last full tank
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-img_20180611_070737600x1067__01.jpg
Old 16th June 2018, 10:04   #5110

My 2005 getz 1.3 with 32k on the odo just gives 7.5-8 per km (based on multiple thankfuls) with AC always on in Bangalore. :(

80% of the driving is my daily commute with fair amount of traffic. I would take about 4-5 minutes to cover each kilometre.

I suspect these figures are too low and ideally I should be getting at least 9.5-10 in similar conditions right?
Fellow getz 1.3 owners, please give your inputs!
Old 16th June 2018, 10:56   #5111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kifilshah View Post
My 2005 getz 1.3 with 32k on the odo just gives 7.5-8 per km (based on multiple thankfuls) with AC always on in Bangalore. :(

80% of the driving is my daily commute with fair amount of traffic. I would take about 4-5 minutes to cover each kilometre.

I suspect these figures are too low and ideally I should be getting at least 9.5-10 in similar conditions right?
Fellow getz 1.3 owners, please give your inputs!
Well my Alto K10 with 1L engine also gave similar figures in heavy B2B traffic. So I will not worry much.

In case you have been driving in such traffic for more than a year, your engine would have accumulated a lot of unburnt carbon which can reduce both efficiency and throttle response. The simplest remedy is to do an "Italian Tuneup", that is take it out on a highway, and run the car at 90 to 120 km/h for at least a 100km. That will clean up your engine resulting in better FE and throttle response.
Old 16th June 2018, 13:57   #5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Well my Alto K10 with 1L engine also gave similar figures in heavy B2B traffic. So I will not worry much. .
I seriously feel anything less than 8 to be too low for a getz especially when I have seems the similar cars doing much better (could see some in the same thread!). And for alto, I have never heard of anyone getting less than 10 from an alto! You sure it's just the traffic thats pulling the figures down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In case you have been driving in such traffic for more than a year, your engine would have accumulated a lot of unburnt carbon which can reduce both efficiency and throttle response. The simplest remedy is to do an "Italian Tuneup", that is take it out on a highway, and run the car at 90 to 120 km/h for at least a 100km. That will clean up your engine resulting in better FE and throttle response.
I have taken trips to the airport's recently and the way I drive when I see open road, gotta qualify as Italian tuneups even though that was not intended! I have also heard these are are better done on lower gears so the engine is running high throughout. In any case, Hyundai had done an engine-decarbonisation on it less than a year ago so I really doubt if it's because of carbon deposit.
Old 16th June 2018, 18:21   #5113
BHPian

Car: Suzuki Ciaz 1.4L Zeta Manual (JAN 2018)
Fuel: Petrol
Current odometer: 2647 kms
Method: Tankful - Tankful
A/C usage: 100% (with AC set to LOW)
Terrain usage: 75% city & 25% Highway
Average FE: 13.0 kmpl City

So, here are my stats thanks a lot in part to @a4anurag , whose post has been partially copied . As far as i am concerned , this car has average economy .
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 21:23   #5114
BHPian

WagonR, 2014, VXI
Tankful to Tankful... Measured multiple times in last 4 months... Before and after service (oil changed)
100% AC
100% city
95% driving alone
Tyre pressure at 30 to 33
Petrol filled at Shell only
Driven conservatively
Mileage is 11 KmpL
Any suggestions to improve.
Old 16th June 2018, 21:41   #5115
Senior - BHPian

Car - Tiago XZ Diesel
Current odometer - 6300
100% AC usage.
100% In City drive.
FE - In City mode - 17kmpl as per MID, 15.4kmpl as per tankful method.
FE- In Eco mode - 19kmpl as per MID, 17.2 kmpl as per tankful method.
Tyre pressure is always 31psi.

Most Viewed