Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2004, 12:08   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata had said a few years back that they will be launching new models of the Sierra and Sumo. They had also said that the Aria would be ready for the Indian market. Then whats taking them so long to introduce them. The Sierra and Sumo that were displayed some years ago at the Auto Expo were DC-designed ones. They had also displayed the 2-dr Safari at many internatonal shows. I'm sure that the 2-dr Safari and the Aria will do well in India, if priced competetively. The Sumo that has been launched now is just a face-lifted version which still doesnt match the Qualis / Tavera in terms of refinement and quality. The DC-Sumo showcased at the Expo looked much balanced and better. What takes Tata so long to introduce new models. The Indigo SW also hasnt been launched. I feel that Tata should include the wheelarches and grille of the new Indica on the Indigo too. That'll really make the Indigo look much better rather than the bland side profile.

Old 24th July 2004, 13:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

This was other contraption displayed in Auto Expo this year.
You can ignore the distorted shape. It's due to ultra wide lens.
Old 24th July 2004, 15:09   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

oh ya. how can i forget that "contraption". Thats the Indiva. It was a good concept MPV. but too good to put into production i guess. More pics of it :

Tata could easily laucnh this MPV for around 7-9lakhs. A good family vehicle. Could take a small peice of the market out of the Qualis/Tavera/Sumo too. What say, guys??
Old 24th July 2004, 16:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well as i know.. the Aria was not made to be put into production but was made to keep it as a concept at AutoShows. The 2 door Tata Safari I think is on sale in UK and some parts of Europe i guess!
The Station wagon is due for launch by the year end or so..!!!

Old 24th July 2004, 20:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are Tata working on any new diesel engine for the Safari??
the present engine is soooo pathetically under powered.
Old 24th July 2004, 20:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'd have to say, i was really waiting for them to come out with the Aria. A decent powerpack and sorted handling it could be a hoot to drive. Guess they put all their money into the 'refreshingly new indica V2'
Old 24th July 2004, 20:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Indian market is mature enough for a car like the Indiva.....its got a lil too much of the futuristic looks.

Most Viewed