Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car will you PUT YOUR MONEY ON?
Skoda Octavia RS 103 43.28%
Old Honda City Vtec 45 18.91%
Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX 54 22.69%
Maruti Suzuki Baleno 36 15.13%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:38   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Is that a problem?
If that is the case, it should have made clear at the start of the thread.
Nothing's a problem in a free world. But if you're putting your money on something, you'd take a look at all the options, wouldn't you? Taking a look, in my case, would involve extensive test-drives et al. Thus my observation.
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:53   #122

Interesting that most of the people who have voted have probably never driven all the cars on the list, or any at all.

I have driven no car at all but still I voted for the 1.6 cause I find it very appealing and it has excellent VFM as a second hand purchase.
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:16   #123
BHPian

If I cud afford it then the RS certainly...but anyway I'm pretty happy with my ALTO
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:17   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian_c View Post
I have driven no car at all but still I voted for the 1.6 cause I find it very appealing and it has excellent VFM as a second hand purchase.
Even a new one too!!!
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:00   #125
Senior - BHPian

I dearly loved the OHC to do better. Can i change my vote now ? I love that car like a wife, but the fancy model GF just stole my heart away for a moment.(Nitrous' lines)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
This forum is turning into a bloody joke.

Are you saying this thread is a joke or the forum is a joke ?

P.S And please do tell us what you feel this time, instead of just scooting every time someone asks a difficult question.
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:25   #126
BHPian

ive driven all 4 cars mentioned. personally i would not buy any one of them.
honda city - lack of safety, floating sensation at higher speeds, bad interior
baleno- great engine, but i just absolutely could not live with the rear end and cheap interiors
palio 1.6 - does not really appeal to me, plus mod possibilities are limited.
the skoda rs- like another member mentioned, making just 150bhp from a turbo engine is a joke. the honda guys got 140bhp frm a 1.8lt NA engine.

if i was forced to buy any of the above guess it will be the skoda as atleast its got good handling and abs, airbags
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:33   #127
Senior - BHPian

its a hearts matter, and its always better to be turboued with wind flowing in ma hair.

Yes, RS for me.
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:36   #128
BHPian

i would go in for a budget buy as i am bad bad driver!
so its the BALENO for me, mclarens baleno did some good speed so i am impressed lets see what more it can do when i get my hands on one!

Last edited by xinome : 23rd July 2007 at 00:38.
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:04   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
When the Baleno was priced at 10L,

No, the baleno was priced 7L-8L ex showroom. Only the Vtec was priced around 10L. The reason it could not compete with the OHC was simply the bland looks & the maruti badge.
Old 23rd July 2007, 04:57   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Nothing's a problem in a free world. But if you're putting your money on something, you'd take a look at all the options, wouldn't you? Taking a look, in my case, would involve extensive test-drives et al. Thus my observation.
Agreed...
But I haven't driven any Indian car. In fact I have driven only two cars in my life, a Chevy Camaro and a Toyota Avalon.

Still, I have my preferances about Indian cars. I know what I will be looking at when I get back home. Given the above list, I will only TD Baleno and GTX and most probably will go for GTX.

I also feel that all the Fiat bashing going on is not at all fair on Fiat car owners. We all know that there are problems at Fiat. But thats not the Fiat car owner's fault.
Old 23rd July 2007, 05:13   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still, I have my preferances about Indian cars. I know what I will be looking at when I get back home. Given the above list, I will only TD Baleno and GTX and most probably will go for GTX.
Well, if you're into used cars, you might as well drive the Vtec as well. It really is a very nice car, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat (if I had the money). The Baleno is now sadly out of production.

Also, IIRC, the Baleno was slightly cheaper than the Honda 1.5 Exi.
Old 23rd July 2007, 06:54   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well, if you're into used cars, you might as well drive the Vtec as well. It really is a very nice car, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat (if I had the money). The Baleno is now sadly out of production.

Also, IIRC, the Baleno was slightly cheaper than the Honda 1.5 Exi.
Thanks for the advice . But isnt the VTec going to be at least 5 years old?

Actually, I might end up buying a used Baleno. I like Baleno, yah even the looks.
Old 23rd July 2007, 07:04   #133
BANNED

Another one goes down the drain!

Quote:
Actually, I might end up buying a used Baleno. I like Baleno, yah even the looks.
Welcome to the club!
Old 23rd July 2007, 08:42   #134

When it comes to buying a car for daily commuting, I don't think that only The BHP Matters. Its a package one generally looks at.
SKODA RS has its own set of problems, like its heavy on maintanance and fuel. even Back seat legspace is a problem.
The Palio 1.6/1.2 had a overheating problem and again maintanance was high. The stile doesn't match to the performance of the old Palio.
Honda's suspension and handling is definitely a problem, Also Honda cars are not very safe cars, Then getting your car serviced is a nightmare as they have sold in high numbers and have not developed their service network accordingly.
Now comes to Baleno, it has dated looks even a brand new Baleno doesn't look NEW. Maruti realised this and stopped Manufacturing the Model. Drive is not enjoyable, Gear shift seems very dull and doesn't give a good feeling.

If one is looking at driving pleasure then one should Not forget Mitsubishi CARS. Drive one today and see the difference.
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:48   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkariro View Post
The Palio 1.6/1.2 had a overheating problem and again maintanance was high. The stile doesn't match to the performance of the old Palio.
I will correct that misconception of high maintenance for you very soon. For the record, we tested a 1.6 Stile against a 1.6 Sport and a 1.6 GTX and the Stile although driven by a rookie creamed the GTX and the Sport on the highway. We did this test on Saturday and were zapped.

Quote:
If one is looking at driving pleasure then one should Not forget Mitsubishi CARS. Drive one today and see the difference.
I agree with you and the difference is not sky high. I love the Lancer too but it is at par with the other cars mentioned here.

The RS it is for me if only I could afford to buy one. Maintenance has never been a problem because if you treat your car well, it does offer its respect back in a special way. And maintenance doesn't cost money, it takes a heart to do it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks