Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car will you PUT YOUR MONEY ON?
Skoda Octavia RS 103 43.28%
Old Honda City Vtec 45 18.91%
Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX 54 22.69%
Maruti Suzuki Baleno 36 15.13%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 17:13   #16
Team-BHP Support

If I could afford it, the Octavia RS will be my next car! Reason, can't be put in words but on the roads. It can eat everything on road alive with its power the Palio, Baleno and VTEC included. No mods considered on any of the cars!

I was never really looking for a sedan and the Palio came as a package to me. It has the looks, the power and the driveability in City more than the other cars mentioned above (Not that I had them as contenders either). I chose it over the Swift. The option given to me by my family was use the Getz for sometime and they'll buy me a Swift. Did one test drive and I was put off. Took them for a test drive to the Fiat showroom and they were put off . Finally after a lot of arguments I went and gathered some savings and bought the Palio. I am passionate and so far so good haven't faced any A.S.S. issues.
Old 20th July 2007, 17:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

This is a no brainer for me. Given the dosh, it'd have to be the VRs. Combination of fast, secure, safe and gorgeous. I'd buy used though. Even better deals as most think it costs the earth to maintain. Their ignorance is our gain as the used car values drop

The OHC is a nice, flickable car. Great fun when you are in the mood. But at the end of it, the car was built as a cheap city runabout. Its a good buy if you want a track/drag car only though.

The Palio is not mod friendly at all. I always liked it, but would never put my money down on one now. Too many other options with better support.

The Baleno kind off took over the mantle of the OHC when maruti cut prices. Makes for a darn good deal now. Again, this is one car to be bought used (no option now!) and should be good to set up.

BUT, if it's bang for buck you're after, I still say nothing comes close to the Esteem MPFI. I'm sure one psyco would agree with me there.
Old 20th July 2007, 17:20   #18
BHPian

If I had lotsa money ,I would definitely go for vRS.

If I had enough money,I would go for used 1.5 OHC

If I had little money,then its the good old zen with a 1.3 engine.

Last edited by artofzen : 20th July 2007 at 17:23.
Old 20th July 2007, 17:30   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Did I mention somewhere that we aren't to consider second hand cars? I did I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
No mods considered on any of the cars!
Kiran, now that wouldn't be a fair comparo. Since all the above mentioned cars neither have the same power or cater to the same segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker
i wonder why mcl didnt mention about the ford ikon 1.6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
BTW, why aren't other T-Bhp favs like swift, NHC etc listed ?
Since I am made to believe that these 4 cars fall in the all time favourites category. With the others yet to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
BUT, if it's bang for buck you're after, I still say nothing comes close to the Esteem MPFI.
Can't agree with you more on this Robin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi
What's the aim of the poll?
I have seen a lot of people swear by some cars, shooting left, right and centre advocating people to buy a certain car. But, I would want to know if they would put their money down on the same car should a need to buy for them arise?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th July 2007 at 17:38.
Old 20th July 2007, 17:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Kiran, now that wouldn't be a fair comparo. Since all the above mentioned cars neither have the same power or cater to the same segment.
Well it would still be the RS Rahul. Fully blown (as they say in mod terminology) RS v/s Fully blown others, I'd still pick the RS. (I voted for the Palio since I put my money there already)

Quote:
Can't agree with you more on this Robin.
I have seen that Esteem move and I fully support your views. Whatta car!

Quote:
I have seen a lot of people swear by some cars, shooting left, right and centre advocating people to buy a certain car. But, I would want to know if they would put their money down on the same car should a need to buy for them arise?
Good thoughts Rahul and I agree with you on the purpose of this thread. There are many who openly suggest the following to others very openly: Wider Tyres, Engine Swaps, FFE, FFF, Turbo and what not but I haven't seen many except the select few like you going with it. People put forward their experiences driving cars owned by friends, father, lover, brother, et al. Thats experience my friend. I would love to see a tuner related poll from you very soon. Good work!
Old 20th July 2007, 17:58   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Well it would still be the RS Rahul. Fully blown (as they say in mod terminology) RS v/s Fully blown others, I'd still pick the RS. (I voted for the Palio since I put my money there already)
Definitely. What I like about the RS is that even with 300bhp on tap you don't feel the speed. I drove a 230bhp RS today belonging to a college mate of mine and god, it goes like stink and handles well too. But if it were VFM for a fully blown package it would be the baleno (where I have put my money on ).

Also, most think I give out opinions just like that. But all this comes after living with the above mentioned cars for an extended period of time. 3 days with an RS in 2005, 1 month with my aunt's 1.6gtx & 15 days with another, 10 days with my aunt's Vtec in Nagpur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
I agree with you on the purpose of this thread.
Though the very purpose of this thread would serve useless if people went ahead to just prove what they perceive to be right. Unless we all vote honestly, there will be no use IMO.

PS: I am yet to decide between the RS & the baleno. Will give it a good thought before voting.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:13   #22
BHPian

Skoda - beyond budget.

Vtec - not in production anymore. Not too much of a modding person. So out of the list.

Baleno- Would vote,but for the looks. (I mean in comparison with others in the poll.) Baleno looks more like a car designed for 40 year olds. The same reason why NHC vtec fails to impress. Looks too sober.

Palio 1.6 Stile - Last in the last. Obvoius choice for price/performance ratio. Black one for me. (since yellow is not available)

I will abstain from voting since I will not Buy (reason: dont need a hatch. infact dont need any cars my emi's are good enough ) any of them now or in the future.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:18   #23
BHPian

I always wanted to drive pattern tanks (a fan of them after seeing the old Paramveer Chakra serials). The next best option I found was a Tata Safari. As practically I cant use a truck for my long drives-with Family!
Old 20th July 2007, 18:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
BTW, why aren't other T-Bhp favs like swift, NHC etc listed ?
Look around, the NHC is certainly not a Team-BHP favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Did I mention somewhere that we aren't to consider second hand cars? I did I guess.

We can't get new balenos & OHCs, so it is got to be second hand unless this is just a hypothetical poll.

Any case, my vote goes to

1. If i can afford - RS
2. If I can afford - Vtec
3. If i cannot afford the above, then Baleno
4. If i cannot afford all 3 above, i will wait for someone to gift me a palio. to be used as a second car, i will keep my esteem as my first car.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:30   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
I always wanted to drive pattern tanks (a fan of them after seeing the old Paramveer Chakra serials). The next best option I found was a Tata Safari. As practically I cant use a truck for my long drives-with Family!
OT: You meant Patton Tanks, didn't you? They were named after General Patton. Pakistan used them a lot and were thought to be invincible at that time (a bit of an over estimation as it was soon proven).
Old 20th July 2007, 18:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

After listening to the fun PJ has with the RS.
Im in love with it.
Since the city mileage is 5-6 kmpl, two year old cars are being sold at half the price which makes us car-enthusiasts' mouth water.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Baleno.. As Mcl.. said, its a poor man's skyline.. Cant afford the maintenance bill of an RS, the extra money I would have to shell out for that "H" badge or the fuel efficiency for a hatch of the 1.6 GTX (I know its around 9-10-11 kmpl... so dont flame me please )
Old 20th July 2007, 18:49   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
We can't get new balenos & OHCs, so it is got to be second hand unless this is just a hypothetical poll.
It is indeed.

Also, one tiny question to the Fiat voters. How many of you have owned the 1.6? And those who have the 1.2L why didn't you buy the 1.6? And for how long have you had experience with driving a 1.6? This would go a long way in understanding the psyche behind such referrals.
Old 20th July 2007, 18:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
OT: You meant Patton Tanks, didn't you? They were named after General Patton. Pakistan used them a lot and were thought to be invincible at that time (a bit of an over estimation as it was soon proven).

Thanks Zappo!

You are right Its Patton Tank.

I am new to this forum and without knowing that its a poll I jumped in.

Hope I will see a poll in which I can vote for Safari- I love him!
Old 20th July 2007, 19:05   #30
Team-BHP Support

Another vote for baleno.

And choice- palio 1.6 for its VFM, but after-sales is a big turn-off.

Third choice- Skoda RS, but way out of my league (in terms of sticker price)

Fourth choice- OHC VTec, nice car but getting old IMO.

Most Viewed