Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car will you PUT YOUR MONEY ON?
Skoda Octavia RS 103 43.28%
Old Honda City Vtec 45 18.91%
Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX 54 22.69%
Maruti Suzuki Baleno 36 15.13%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 19:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

firstly, i feel offended that the OHC 1.5 is not in this list...>>> ( in case u dint figure, i own an ohc 1.5 !! )

secondly, after seing mclaren's drive and the figures other baleno owners were quoting from blore, i guess , i will vote for the baleno from the above list bcos i cant affort the RS anyways
Old 20th July 2007, 19:12   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd buy any of the top three choices with my eyes shut....they represent cars that are great to drive. And a breed that is slowly dying. The RS and the Vtec are a hoot to drive, while the Palio 1.6 would be my choice today even over a Swift. Mind you, in the original GTX avatar and not the Stile.

Of the 4 options, the only car I wouldnt buy is the Baleno.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:13   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Also, most think I give out opinions just like that. But all this comes after living with the above mentioned cars for an extended period of time. 3 days with an RS in 2005, 1 month with my aunt's 1.6gtx & 15 days with another, 10 days with my aunt's Vtec in Nagpur.
I for certain do not doubt or question your observations Rahul.

Quote:
useless if people went ahead to just prove what they perceive to be right. Unless we all vote honestly, there will be no use IMO.
I would vote for the RS if it is a car to desire and we are not holding budgets at stake. But I think this was more about what you can afford? Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
PS: I am yet to decide between the RS & the baleno. Will give it a good thought before voting.
I am sure you'll vote for the RS too.

Quote:
Also, one tiny question to the Fiat voters. How many of you have owned the 1.6? And those who have the 1.2L why didn't you buy the 1.6? And for how long have you had experience with driving a 1.6? This would go a long way in understanding the psyche behind such referrals.
Not a fair comparo Rahul. Many who voted for the Baleno do not own it either! Wouldn't the question apply to them too?
Old 20th July 2007, 19:14   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Narayan, I am extremely sorry if you were offended. That was not my intention. Like I mentioned before, if we were to conduct a poll on THBP's favourite enthusiastic (performance) cars these were the cars that would top the poll (or atleast in my opinion after a long stay here). Not that far behind are the OHC 1.5 Exi, esteem, swift, 1.6 Ikon, Cedia, Elantra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
But I think this was more about what you can afford?
Not exactly. Having money doesn't necessarily translate to splurging for snob value. Its down to an individuals preference in the end. Would you choose a 300 bhp RS @ 20L, or a 200 bhp VTEC @ 15L, a 120bhp GTX @ 5L or a 200bhp baleno @ 11L. Or prefer brand value. Do keep in mind that the VTEC or Baleno could still take on a 300bhp RS in a quarter mile. Though on a highway the RS would cream the other cars. So it also would depend on what you like most? Quarter mile rush or highway driving.

Quote:
Not a fair comparo Rahul. Many who voted for the Baleno do not own it either! Wouldn't the question apply to them too?
Yes, it would apply to them as well. Though I find them the least aggressive of the lot when it comes (or rather came since there is no production now) to recommend a baleno. Most often that not I have seen owners recommending baleno's.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th July 2007 at 19:27.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Also, one tiny question to the Fiat voters. How many of you have owned the 1.6? And those who have the 1.2L why didn't you buy the 1.6? And for how long have you had experience with driving a 1.6? This would go a long way in understanding the psyche behind such referrals.
I bought my Palio 1.2 ELX in 2000. Every time I see a Formula Red 1.6 GTX I kick my @$$ for being a tightwad when I bought my car.

My first car was a M800. That was "my" car by description only and was really my Dads. He literally never used it (out of the 50K km it did, less than 5K was done by my Dad), so it was as good as mine. I drove it from the day I was 18 till the day I bought my Palio.

My Palio was my first car. Never had the experience of paying for one from my pocket. Had never bought anything on loan. Neither had my Dad. I didn't have anybody to tell me that "Dude, even if the 1.6 costs 1.5L more, the add-on to the EMI of the 1.2 (that you'll pay anyway won't hurt a bit). You'll thank yourself at the end of the loan".

I had a free hand in buying the car. I could have bought the 1.6 if I wanted. But I was too "prudent" then. I should have bought the 1.6. I didn't even get my fave colour (Formula Red) in 1.2 ELX. Grrrrr...

If I could go back 4.5 years, and buy my car all over again, and somebody handed me 10L to spend as I please, I'd buy a Formula Red 1.6GTX, blow 50K on tyres and alloys, blow 2L on ICE, get Stanley Nappa leather seats and all-round trim done for 25K, spend another 10-15K on this and that, and bank the rest to pay for fuel.

Now where's that time machine? :(

EDIT: I'd buy the 1.6 GTX even if somebody didn't hand me the 10L (in case somebody was wondering).

Last edited by hydrashok : 20th July 2007 at 19:31.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Went through this 2.5 years ago, and chose the Baleno primarily because there was no Vtec available off the shelf. In hindsight, the Baleno is much better VFM than the Vtec, and seems better built too. But the Vtec engine is still king.

Today, I'd buy the Swift and spend some money on it. Or a Cedia. Wouldn't touch the RS with a bargepole. That engine is absolute rubbish. VW takes 1 bar to extract 150 hp from a 1.8, whereas Honda does 130 from atmospheric pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
If I am in the market to buy a Car NOW, I would go for a hatch & that would be - Palio Stile 1.6 Sports Formula Red.
Funny, it's always the 1.2 owners who sing the 1.6 mantra.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mclaren1885;506549]Narayan, I am extremely sorry if you were offended. That was not my intention. Like I mentioned before, if we were to conduct a poll on THBP's favourite enthusiastic (performance) cars these were the cars that would top the poll (or atleast in my opinion after a long stay here). Not that far behind are the OHC 1.5 Exi, esteem, swift, 1.6 Ikon, Cedia, Elantra.

no probs mclaren...in fact i have been expressing my displeasure on the "stepmotherly " treatment to the 1.5 as against the VTEC in many threads!!!
anyways , back in 2005 when i was in the market to upgrade from my 2000 esteem lx, i just had 2 cars in my mind, the BALENO and the OHC....
i had heard a lot about the OHC - so i dint even bother to take any TDs...the baleno was undergoing some major price cuts and a new LXI was awefully close to a 3/4 year old OHC's price..
now that was tempting enuf for me to take a detailed TD...me and 2 of my colleagues took the car and ripped in in peak ERNAKULAM ( COCHIN) traffic and in the process breaking the driver side mirror in a very aggressively taken overtaking manouevre in a narrow road ( most roads in kerala are narrow btw !)
but at the end of the day, the looks of the baleno really put me off and i went for the OHC
back to the OHC VS VTEC argument... i gues ( not sure) the VTECH was atleast a lakh costlier than the OHC and for the same external looks, for a fraction of that incremental cost on a free flow and an intake, the 1.5 can easily match the VTECH - i repeat IMHO ( VTECH owners - pls excuse )
Old 20th July 2007, 19:43   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Wouldn't touch the RS with a bargepole. That engine is absolute rubbish. VW takes 1 bar to extract 150 hp from a 1.8, whereas Honda does 130 from atmospheric pressure.
Now that's another interesting point!

Narayan, its easier said than done. That VTEC head does its work. I don't think a 1.5Exi with FFE, porting & polishing can match the Vtec unless you go for a wilder cam. I could be wrong.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th July 2007 at 19:44.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:54   #39
BHPian

If the point is buying a car from the showroom and enjoying it thereafter is being talked, Skoda Vrs would be my choice.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Funny, it's always the 1.2 owners who sing the 1.6 mantra.
Boss, when I bought my Palio 1.2 some 3.5 years ago, didn't go for 1.6 due to primarily two reasons:
1. My budget was 4.5 lakhs max.
2. 1.6 GTX was not readily available that time, there was some waiting period.

But, if I had to buy the Car today, undoubtly it will be Palio 1.6 Sports!
Old 20th July 2007, 19:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
BUT, if it's bang for buck you're after, I still say nothing comes close to the Esteem MPFI. I'm sure one psyco would agree with me there.
Why not the Swift then? You get Esteem power with great handling and huge dose of style.
Old 20th July 2007, 19:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

In a perfect world, the RS. The Fiat 1.6 GTX would be my second car.
Old 20th July 2007, 20:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
the VTECH was atleast a lakh costlier than the OHC and for the same external looks, for a fraction of that incremental cost on a free flow and an intake, the 1.5 can easily match the VTECH - i repeat IMHO
You have no idea what the Vtec engine is capable of, do you? Trust me, I've owned a Honda 1.5, and it is outclassed by the Baleno, whose engine in turn is outclassed by a Vtec. So it's actually two steps down. And it's Vtec, H invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Boss, when I bought my Palio 1.2 some 3.5 years ago, didn't go for 1.6 due to primarily two reasons...
Wasn't aimed at you. Relax.
Old 20th July 2007, 20:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
If the point is buying a car from the showroom and enjoying it thereafter is being talked, Skoda Vrs would be my choice.
I was waiting for that.
Old 20th July 2007, 20:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

OHC VTEC for me! Quite surprising!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks