Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car will you PUT YOUR MONEY ON?
Skoda Octavia RS 103 43.28%
Old Honda City Vtec 45 18.91%
Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX 54 22.69%
Maruti Suzuki Baleno 36 15.13%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 17:19   #76
BHPian

i have voted for the OHC VTEC ... great car with all round qualities and capabilities.

Skoda definitely if budget allows

Otherwise there is always a Palio 1.6 (another great car) for few dollars only.

Sorry but never a Baleno for me.
Old 21st July 2007, 17:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Octy. I didn't have the dough for a vRS Octy. Got the next best thing instead, the 1.8Tpi Rider. Same engine, lower trim variant of the vRS. Been two years now. Love the car, hate the A.S.S
Old 21st July 2007, 17:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Palio 1.6 because:

1. Octavia Rs is too costly to maintain. Buying price is okay considering the features the car comes with. Main reason why I didn't pick the RS is because things have moved on internationally and the current Indian RS is too old. I have driven the old Jetta Vrs (Octy) and new Jetta 2.0 TFSI (Laura) and the difference between the two is HUGE. And Skoda wouldn't launch the Laura Rs with the FSI engine for a little premium over the current Octy.

2. OHC VTEc is not avaliable new.

3. Neither is Baleno. Besides it's too plain looking.

4. Palio 1.6 is something I own. And it's avaliable new in the market. So despite it being a Fiat and with the service hassles, I'd probably put my money down on a Palio.

Assumption was that I don't own any of these cars and want to buy either of them today.

I have driven the Octavia Rs and Palio GTX and S10 of these.

PS: I hope Fiat will bring the Grande Punto with the 1.4 T-JET 120 bhp engine.

Last edited by amit : 21st July 2007 at 17:31.
Old 21st July 2007, 17:47   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
BUT, if it's bang for buck you're after, I still say nothing comes close to the Esteem MPFI. I'm sure one psyco would agree with me there.
I totally agree with you here ... the Esteem is probably the best VFM -- Its decent looking , has a good peppy engine and lots of Mod potential to it !!!

But if cash wasn't a problem ... it wud have to be the RS , and the GTX as the support car !!!

Cheers
Old 21st July 2007, 17:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

1) OHC Vtec - Drove the car extensively (my friend had one) but when it was time to buy my own, I went with the Ikon 1.6. It was MORE CAR PER CAR than the Vtec at that time.

2) Palio 1.6 - Drove it extensively as well. Doesn't feel blindingly fast, maybe it's the tank like build quality but the seats are not too my liking and feels built to a price inside.

3) Baleno - Bland looking and built to a price (read cheap) inside. Ride quality was good and A.S.S is good too but I would not fall for a MUL trick of getting decade old cars and selling them at 10L here (the price when it was initially launched and flopped). After MUL cut the price to half, the car started selling. So if it was such a good and brilliant car - it should have sold at 10L too, right ?

4) Octavia vRS - Yes another old car and Skoda doing the same thing MUL did to us with the Baleno. But the quality inside (wow), the features included, the safety package , the engine , the handling everything beautiful. Yes A.S.S is a concern, I agree and I am ready to live with it. After all even "Chand mein daag hota hai". And when Skoda launched it for 15L on road I think it made more sense than a Vtec or Baleno @ 10 L , right ?

I would put my money where my heart is - not where where my mouth is. And my heart has always said the Skoda Octavia vRS.

Even when I got the diesel Octy, I was burning up inside because I could not find a nice used vRS (no money that time). But as soon as I got one - I dumped the diesel and got a RS (got a lot of negative comments on dumping a diesel).

So even if I had the money and a choice between the Camry , Accord and RS, you know what will be in my garage.

And the vRS is the FASTEST AND the SAFEST. Its a no brainer.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st July 2007 at 18:02.
Old 21st July 2007, 18:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
And the vRS is the FASTEST AND the SAFEST. Its a no brainer.
I wholeheartedly Cheering:
But pity, I don't have the vRS.
Old 21st July 2007, 18:59   #82
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
And the vRS is the FASTEST AND the SAFEST.
Its the killer combo I was talking about.

Quote:
but the seats are not too my liking
I agree with you on this one completely. Palio seats are perhaps the worst seats that I have come across. Next would be the Civic. No offense to any of the above mentioned owners. And it isn't pleasant when you have a back problem either.

Quote:
So if it was such a good and brilliant car - it should have sold at 10L too, right ?
The car when it was launched was in a situation where not many would accept a saloon costing 6L+ from a manufacturer who until then had only produced small cars. That hit them the most. Now the trend seems to have changed. Look at the SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme torque
So many 'lemons' around you... i wonder
If you call them ALL "lemons" so be it. Though I am surprised at the rate of lemonized palio's that are being sold .

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 21st July 2007 at 19:01.
Old 21st July 2007, 19:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda Octavia RS - incompareable IMO.

Considering the 1.9 TDi can do magic (even more so after the remap) what the RS can do needs no telling

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 21st July 2007 at 19:43.
Old 21st July 2007, 21:18   #84
BHPian

If money is not the problem then I would go for Skoda Octavia RS. I just love to see it on expressway.
Old 21st July 2007, 22:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If you call them ALL "lemons" so be it. Though I am surprised at the rate of lemonized palio's that are being sold .
Mclaren, if all all were lemons, then why is Palio 1.6 is the 2nd Favourite T-BHP Car, as per the poll on this very thread? Even beating your Baleno!!!

Please learn to respect others passions and interests!

Bashing up someone always with no just reasons gets real SICK at times!
Old 21st July 2007, 22:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Voted for the Octy. I didn't have the dough for a vRS Octy. Got the next best thing instead, the 1.8Tpi Rider. Same engine, lower trim variant of the vRS. Been two years now. Love the car, hate the A.S.S

is it just the trim and the alloys/spoiler ? i heard somewhere that suspension is different ...is that the case ?
Old 21st July 2007, 22:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

The car when it was launched was in a situation where not many would accept a saloon costing 6L+ from a manufacturer who until then had only produced small cars. That hit them the most. Now the trend seems to have changed. Look at the SX4.

imho - that was only part of the reason i guess...

a) at that time, the segment was completely different populated with HONDA CITY, Lancer, nexia/cielo , ikon ..with the baleno price matching almost the segment peers and with such bland looks it was bound to do badly..

b) the SX4 segment is totally different now and more importanly the SX4 offers MUCH MUCH BETTER VALUE and beats the competition by a mile...
Old 21st July 2007, 22:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
McL,

MUL has learnt the lesson but do you think that if the SX4 came with the Baleno interiors and equipment it would sell at the current price ? I don't think so ! Anyways back to the topic.
Old 21st July 2007, 22:38   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Interesting to note that only 1 out of the 40 who voted for the RS owned one. Which means only 2.5%.
2. 4 out of the 19 voted own a OHC Vtec. i.e 21% .
3. 11 out of the 26 voted own a GTX or a adventure or a petra 1.6 i.e 42% .
4. 8 out of the 17 voted own a Baleno i.e 47%.

So from what I could infer:

1. RS is everyones dream car, but most can't afford it.
2. OHC Vtec is one car most people recommend but many would not buy it brand new? Most cars here are 2nd hand.
3. Some people put their money where their mouth is and buy a Palio 1.6. Others who own a Fiat will do nothing but vote for a Fiat only? (you can see for yourself from the poll only with only 3 out of the 30+ Fiat owners voting for other cars).
4. Baleno owners also contribute to putting their money where their mouth is, but also give equal though before voting? 4 baleno owners (out of 12) have also voted for other cars.

Could anyone else who is good at doing an analysis come up with something else?

How many Civic's do we have here?

I would love to, but Ajay we are talking about performance (or perceived by many) cars here. Cars for which arguments and debates are fought over. No offense to swift owners here. It would be fair to include the esteem in the poll in that case.

also maybe how many owners of these cars in our forum voting for other cars also points to the fact that they probably are not too happy or might themselves prefer another car in this poll...
Old 21st July 2007, 23:00   #90
BHPian

have a baleno for 2 yrs and no problems till now.....done 30000 kms among the options i ll vote for the skoda octavia ....for the speed ..fuel effiency ...and of course the brand value ....

Most Viewed