Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 02:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most

The car which me and my family is still not able to forget is our beloved civic. Looks, comfort, ride quality, space.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20190901_1142062.jpg  

Safedriver2023 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 09:04   #62
BHPian

I miss all my old cars but of them the most I miss is my 2011 Vento TDI aka Black Knight :-) .
While I don't have a pic to upload right now , I remember it for its 1.6L diesel engine which I had pushed for more than once for 8 hrs on the trot and it always felt the car was capable of much more and then its fuel economy.
I agree it had the engine that caused Dieselgate for VW but as such the engine was good. The car was very capable and a good package for the time when it was launched and the next few years. The competition caught on and VW never really came back roaring with a product of the Vento caliber. I am hoping the Virtus will be better.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 25th May 2023 at 09:06.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 09:27   #63
BHPian

I have some great memories of the Duster AWD, as it allowed me to travel anywhere and everywhere and also gave the best ride possible on our roads. It made the fill it, shut it, forget it adage come true every time and permitted me to enjoy the journey without obsessing over the car. That it handled like a car on roads and was surefooted on broken stuff made it a consummate allrounder.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-16992323_10212080678513025_5769524763261367087_o.jpg
spot the duster
megazoid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 09:35   #64
Team-BHP Support

’13 Polo GT diesel - my first car

Just so many memories with the car - the travels we undertook across the country, all those DIYs and repairs at home, learning so many things, penning down the threads on Team BHP.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-1.jpg

9 years and 1,78,000 km later, sold her to a scrap dealer after an engine seize followed by a sloppy repair job. A part of my soul went with the car when she was finally towed away.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-2.jpg

The replacement car (a Jazz CVT) could never connect with me the way the Polo did. But, imagine my surprise when a stranger called me yesterday saying he bought the car off Cars24 and that he’s located within 20 km of my home! Traced my number from the RTO and called me up. Will meet him when I head home next time. She lives on!
Gannu_1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 09:46   #65

My first car aka the white beauty. Toyota Corolla Sport 2.0 Limited Edition.
Unfortunately, I had to sell it as I had to leave the country for better prospects or I would never let go of this one. Loved it so much that my wife called it my 2nd wife Missing it from the core of my heart. Wish I could get this one in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20200219_183621.jpg  

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20200219_183717_1.jpg  

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20210929_194438.jpg  

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20210929_194919.jpg  

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20210929_194911.jpg  

Warrior18 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 10:45   #66
BHPian

I am sure there are others, but how can we not love the 1st gen Maruti Swift Diesel. Maruti has perfected that diesel engine, which Fiat themselves were not able to. One of the most fun to drive and also very economical car. The swift was also quite a looker. Definitely going to miss this car a long time.
Old 25th May 2023, 11:05   #67
BHPian

For me, that car would be my Ford Figo. Had got the car used at 35k kms with 3 years of age and it served me well for the next 5 years 1 lakh kms.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-figo1_1.jpg

It was a replacement for my Palio S10, which was known as an enthusiast's delight but unfortunately I could not connect with the Palio as much as I did with the Fords.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-figo3_1.jpg
The car showed me that you need not be fast to enjoy the drive. The handling and dynamics are what I miss the most. I could never connect much with the Palio having driven my Mom's car (1st gen Ford Fiesta Petrol), and the reason to move to Figo was the diesel engine's fuel economy and the familiarity with the cockpit. I felt at home the moment I sat in the Figo, as it was almost same as the Fiesta. Even now, when I visit my Mom, I prefer driving the Fiesta over my Corolla.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-figo2_1.jpg

Added RogerAb for the ground clearance and Racechip for the low end grunt and the car was sorted.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-figo6_1.jpg

Did quite a few trips all around South India, and once even to Mumbai then further till Daman. The last year I had the car, I was planning to upgrade, but every time I drove the car on the highway, I would put things on hold. It was only during the 2020 lockdown, when I could not drive the car much, and with the used car prices for sedans falling, that I could convince myself to upgrade.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-figo_4_1.jpg

Most of these pics are from the last year I had the car, and I knew I would not be doing justice keeping it as my second car for the city when we already have a Nano AMT. Every time I see a silver Figo on the road, I start missing the car again.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-figo5.jpg
the.dogfather is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 12:07   #68
BHPian

Not yet an "Ex" but my current 2015 Vento is an absolute master piece. I have been looking at getting a new car for few months now but nothing seems to match up to it.
Old 25th May 2023, 13:18   #69
BHPian

One do it all car that I had was Figo 1.5tdci. I had to let it go for the absurd NGT rules in NCR. I got a good offer for it, after i acquired the XL6 last year. Now I repent letting it go. Sometimes financial sense should take a backseat and I should have rented a parking and retained it for its life.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-20211228_100714.jpg
saurabh041086 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 13:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhinchak View Post
I am sure there are others, but how can we not love the 1st gen Maruti Swift Diesel. Maruti has perfected that diesel engine, which Fiat themselves were not able to. One of the most fun to drive and also very economical car. The swift was also quite a looker. Definitely going to miss this car a long time.
Completely agree. Probably one car which had the variant (VDi) more famous than many car brands of its time. It was insane when people compared this to Verna 1.6L D on the ability to accelerate. Apart from being my first car, this engine was also very close to me professionally as we (along with my colleagues) tried very hard to pickup volumes (to supply as a dual vendor) for a critical component of the engine.

No surprise when some people used to call 1st and 2nd Gen Swift as the poor man's Beetle - based on the looks.
Old 25th May 2023, 14:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

First car which i learnt to drive, ultimately i drove from Pune to Mumbai and gave it to scrap after 6 years of ownership. It was a 1993 Padmini and by 2012 it was an almost 20 year old car fighting severe rust issues. So i don't regret selling her off since that was inevitable.

Column mounted gear and that view from dash where you could see bonnet and those headlight scoops, she was a beauty. The sound of petrol padmini is something which i still cannot forget.

It was a car which being my first has created a bond which can never be broken. The picture of my padmini still sits proudly in my cupboard.
Not posting a pic here since it can be seen in my profile pic as well as team bhp thread.
Old 25th May 2023, 14:44   #72
BHPian

1. SCross 1.6 - For the diesel heart with 320 nm of torque
2. Ford Figo 1.5 AT - For being pocket rocket.

However, I sold both cars very early in their usable life for practicality reasons.
Old 25th May 2023, 15:23   #73
BHPian

My first car, not bought though, but given to me by my dad was the old Tata Sierra, 96-97 model, that became mine in 2003. Solid vehicle, beautifully engineered, had adjustable steering (for height only) even then. No crumple zones, just seat belts. It was solid enough to take a hit from a Tata 407 in the back where both the driver and the helper fell out (the helper on our roof) with just a minor dent on the tail gate. Was even better handling than the Tata Safari. We changed the engine (working fine) after 3 lakh odd kms to the Safaris Turbo model when we decided to scrap our safari.
regards kaps454

Last edited by kaps454 : 25th May 2023 at 15:24. Reason: Typos
Old 25th May 2023, 15:39   #74
BHPian

Two of them for me..

1 - My first ride/partner - M800 - 1984 model - this was like 20 years back - miss it a lot, love it, many times tempted to get one again - parking issue so away from it

2 - My previous ride - Outlander from Mitsubishi - one of the best rides - petrol 2.4L - recently had to give it away, was 13 years old, showing its age and wanted a 5+2 seater hence moved to Kodiaq
Old 25th May 2023, 16:33   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

There have been many many cars that we have been fortunate enough to own and remember fondly, and a few of them are captured in my Garage.

But if there is one car that has truly stood out, it has to be the E60 525D. What a car! Solid, amazing to drive, beautiful power delivery, and one of the last true blue BMWs where the car truly feels like an extension of the body!
We've owned faster cars, more nimble cars, more luxurious cars, etc. but the smile whilst driving this has always been unparalleled. Selling this is one of my biggest regrets!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20170405_162622_01_01-copy.jpg  

lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks