Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2023, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most

Our cars become more than just modes of transportation; they weave themselves into the fabric of our lives, becoming companions on countless journeys. As time passes, our beloved vehicles age, carrying with them a treasure trove of memories and experiences. In this article, I invite you to take a trip down memory lane and share your stories about your oldies. These cars, once shiny and new, which have weathered the years alongside you, witnessing milestones, adventures, and unforgettable moments. They hold a special place in our heart, and it would be interesting to hear about the journeys you embarked upon, the mishaps you encountered, and the memories you created together. So, join us as we celebrate these cars that have stood the test of time, for they may be gone from our lives, but they are certainly not forgotten.

Having said that now I introduce you to my first car, the 2015 Honda Brio in Mystic Blue. I got it just days after receiving my driver's liscense in 2018. Previously owned by my friend and fellow BHPian @Autocaptive. We lived in the same building so I have seen the car literally everyday since it was bought. Although being a '15 car it had racked only 13k kms, was in perfect shape. A Petrol manual Honda is really suits as the best-first car you can have. The milaege was pretty good even after driving it trashily. The 87 bhp enigne combined with the lightweight made it fun to drive in the city and easy to toss around. Light clutch felt effortless too.

Some pics which I considered were 'Professionally Photographed' by me back then

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-unnamed-1.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-unnamed-2.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-unnamed.jpg

The milage which I got was around 10-12 kmpl in the city. Surprisingly, when my father used to drive, it gave around 18-19kmpl in the city! Now being the 18 year old enthusiast I was, the car survived those wheel spins, ramming the gears, hard cornering and failed attempts of 'drifting'/sliding through dirt(like an idiot). And if my father reads this, I did that on the ground and ALWAYS kept my speed below 55 .

Being lightweight did come with its drawbacks. Once (when my dad was driving) a Swift Dzire backed into the car 'slightly'. It wasn't anything major but the dent left on the brio was deep. This made us a doubt the build quality of the car, it also lacked basic safety features such as ABS and Airbags. Also the seats didn't have much support and the low seating didn't help either. After a year of ownership we decided to sell the car.

I spotted it after a few months outside a restaurant. I was so excited that I started taking pics of it and the owner noticed me. After hearing him shout "Ayy Ayy" I figured why this gentleman was yelling from the terrace. I proceeded to do some actions by pointing my finger to the car and then towards me, surprisingly he understood it... MAYBE.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-unnamed-3.jpg

There it is, my experience with the Blue Honda Brio documented. I would love to hear your stories and shenanigans. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd May 2023 at 07:34. Reason: Maximum two smileys per post please; Thank you!
M_Poweredd_ is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most

Have bought and sold many cars in my 30 years of driving. But the one standout car from my past is the 1st-gen City Vtec. It's the one I miss the most. Purely due to that mad, insane, MANIAC Vtec engine that revved like a motorcycle motor. It was built for the redline, had a slick gearshift, one of the best hydraulic steering wheels & a very light body. All of that made it gokart-like under 100 kmph (and scary above that).

This is definitely the most special of the exes:

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_1508_edit.jpg

Aftermarket headers from BHPian Psycho:
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-000_0893.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-000_0875.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-000_0882.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-000_0885.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-000_0880.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-000_0876.jpg

On the first Mod trip to Mahabaleshwar in '04:
GTO is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

For me it has to be the good old Maruti 800 we sold well over a decade ago.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-old-800.jpg

I was taken to school in this car. I've gone to college in this car. I've learned to drive in this car.

Many good memories from childhood years. I remember how in later days I would bitch about it and ask my now departed father how we badly needed to get a new car, and now I miss it. Both of them. Funny how life works..
Maky is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 19:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

For me it has to the my old Honda City 1.5 Exi AT. It was a 2003 model that I bought in 2006. It had 24000 km on the clock when I bought it. Drove it for all of 10 years and the odo read 1.5 lakh kms when I parted with it. Loved the low stance, the typical JDM looks and the bullet proof reliability. Really miss it and wish I could have kept it.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-city1.jpeg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-city2.jpeg
Dippy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 21:13   #5
BHPian

This was my first personal drive-
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-220523.jpg

And yes, I do miss it. It was a 1.2L 3cyl NA so the power was really not like a rocket and switching on the AC would strain the engine but other than these two, Oh boy! what a car this was. The build quality was top notch and not like some of today's VW/Skoda. It was a 2011 manufactured car. So some parts were imported as their localization was not high back then. The go cart like driving experience, low seating, the steering feedback, the chassis...I can go on and on. Yes I really miss it sometimes. Today's cars are more feature rich and modern but this car was like back to basics. Plus the flash red colour on this generation of Polo will remain a legend.

PS- Sorry that I had to remove the background this way as I don't have photoshop right now.
Carpainter is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 21:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

It has a whole thread dedicated to it on TBHP thanks to the new owner.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...shi-cedia.html (Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia)

it was my first car, loved it to bits and I'm glad I still get to see it quite often.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 22nd May 2023 at 21:22.
reignofchaos is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 00:20   #7
BHPian

My Black Getz CRDi - A pocket Rocket
110 BHP, 240nm Torque
Year 2007
Cost 5.5 lakhs

A friend clicked this one from a car driving ahead of us. Good times!
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-9bf8b73643684ccea9cbfed71eab7ab5.jpeg

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2023 at 02:20.
Jangra is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 01:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This was the first car I bought (with my mom's help) after I got my first job in Bangalore.

As a car this was nothing special. We have owned many better cars, but this was my first car, & I was pretty much emotionally attached with it!

In 2008, I was just 23 years old, and used to live alone in a 1 BHK flat. The best companion I had was this car!

The first night drive, the first hill drive, the first mild off roading, the first tyre change in midnight, the first drag race, the first handbrake turn were all with this car! Before anyone jumps into a conclusion that I was a reckless young driver, for them I must say, this car never got a police challan, nor any scratch or dent in all those 3 years!
After 3 years of owning this car, when I was leaving Bangalore, we were a part of 49 road trips, so to make that 50, the day before selling this car, we again went for a day-trip and made it 50!
Have driven through Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Kerala, AndhraPradesh, Goa & Maharashtra.

Have many great memories with this car.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-76317_106372922767943_6820109_n.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-197122_135491806522721_437351_n.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 23rd May 2023 at 01:17.
Samba is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 06:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Gone, but not forgotten for me. The elegant silhouette, the ride handling balance, the "Vault" like indestructible build that set the standard and made the " flex and thud" check popular for new car buyers. The massive boot with pneumatic struts that did not intrude into the space and those opulent leather seats wrapping you inside a sleek fighter plane cockpit like ambience. Truly a gem of a machine that deserved more.
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-20120109-10.18.30.jpg

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2023 at 02:21.
fhdowntheline is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 09:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Out of sight, but definitely not out of mind. My first car, the Palio 1.6 Sports.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-p1000069.jpg

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd May 2023 at 09:10.
comfortablynumb is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:10   #11
BHPian

Fiat Punto 1.2 active 2009.
Pic: Yelagiri 2014.

In the hills, where she belongs...
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-20230523_110630.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-20201008_124849.jpg

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2023 at 02:22.
John316_WRC is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 17:25   #12
BHPian

My favorite is the Evergreen Duster. This car might not have fancy interiors but the car gave me some good memories. This car had good space, a beautiful engine, superb handling, and the best suspension of all the cars I owned.

Here are some pictures:
Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-20210731_155217.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20210221_083946.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20190427_104354.jpg

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-img_20190331_134800.jpg

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2023 at 02:23.
GRAND23 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 19:04   #13
BHPian

Has to be my dad's Premier Padmini. This wasn't just an automobile, but an experience and an emotion.

I used to spend hours cleaning and polishing the car and learnt to drive only by observing my dad drive. Cleared my driving test the very same day I was eligible to, and in the very first attempt too. It was a dream-come-true moment getting behind the steering wheel.

It was only years later I discovered that the Padmini Deluxe BE was powered by a 1.1 L engine that generated a modest 40 BHP and 71 NM. Those numbers were just numbers no one cared about.

Gone, but not forgotten | The one car you sold, but still remember the most-premierpadmini2.jpg

Image courtesy: Motorbeam (Couldn't locate real pictures of our car. I know I have a few prints tucked away somewhere)

We let go of the Padmini for the Maruti 800, which was easier to run and maintain, and better refined too, but memories of the Padmini will always be special and cherished.
pannags is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 19:22   #14
BHPian

I do not have the pictures but it lives in my heart.

The Baleno 1.6L original Japanese Engine car bought in 2006. What an absolute beauty of an engine and that chassis was so brilliant. The handling...wow!! I took such good care of it as if it was my baby.

I have my fondest memories of driving in the hills of Himachal with that car. Cornered like it was on rails. 2011 I was transferred to Delhi from Mumbai and I made the most of it. It was totaled by a drunk driver who rammed it at 2am when it was parked outside (Delhi and its parking woes!! I do not like that city ..haha).

Baleno 1.6L - Om Shanti!!
sjain2054 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 20:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

The 8th gen Honda Civic. Still a looker. Frugal engine, elegant design. That wiper movement. That digital speedometer. Timeless. Unique.

I'm still hopeful that Honda will launch one car as good as the Civic.
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed