Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 12:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spinny names Renault Kwid as the most popular used car of Q1 2023

According to a report published by used car retail platform Spinny, the Renault Kwid was the most popular small car in the used car market in Q1 2023. The report also states that the Kwid was among the top-selling models in the Indian used car market during the first quarter.

Spinny names Renault Kwid as the most popular used car of Q1 2023-kwid.png

The Renault Kwid was launched in 2015. It's the entry-level model in the French brand's line-up and has an SUV-inspired body style. According to the company, over 4.4 lakh units of the Kwid have been sold since its launch.

The Renault Kwid is available with a 1.0-litre petrol engine that makes 67 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 91 Nm @ 4,250 rpm. The engine is mated with either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 28th May 2023 at 12:28.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 12:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Spinny names Renault Kwid as the most popular used car of Q1 2023

No wonder!

I was going through my Fuelio app data of all my cars.

Of all my cars, including super efficient diesels like the ciaz 1.3 and Altroz 1.5, the kwid 1.0 had been the most economical to run and maintain.

And that 1.0 was fun to drive too. With good 4 year old samples with less than 30k km available for 2.5 lakhs, it's a great buy.

I used mine for 6 years and 60000 km. It was totally reliable too. I got a great resale of 2.57 lakhs too.

Bought it for 5.10 lakhs on road in 2016 and sold it last year.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th May 2023 at 12:35.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 12:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

May be because so many owners sell it ? Unless owners sell, these cars cant come on the market for resale.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 12:55   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We sold our 2017 March Model Kwid AMT for 3.7 lakhs last year, We had bought it for 5.10 lakhs, and it really held its value well over the 5 years, and I was extremely happy with the car, it had run only 20k km and the owner is very happy too. It's almost a year now and we are still in touch.

My cousins' 2016 November Model Kwid AMT sold for 3.41 lakhs around this time last year, over 5.5 years but hardly run anything just 15k km. He had bought it for 4.87 lakhs. So, Kwids are selling for good money with over 70 percent value retention after over 5 years. That is really good value, considering the fact that Renault isn't the best in terms of used car value.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 14:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
May be because so many owners sell it ? Unless owners sell, these cars cant come on the market for resale.
Exactly. How do they claim to be the most popular when it's sales in the new car market is pathetic? There must be an equal number of sellers to show the amount of buyers.

A better metric will be to show the percentage of the cars of every model they can sell within X amount of time it has been hosted. That will give a better picture.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 16:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The Renault Kwid has now struggled to score a 1 star NCAP safety rating, after scoring a ZERO star all through. Must also remember that the same factory near Chennai was exporting this model with a 3 star Latin NCAP safety rating to Brazil in 2017. This export model had two airbags for front passengers and came with a reinforced platform and better sprucing up of its bodyshell to withstand side impacts better. The Kwid sold in Indian market had only one airbag for the driver then, even for its top variant but had touchscreen and a music system.
This video discusses the safety aspects of the car then in 2017:-

Its good that the car is liked by many, many of them becoming owners. With such high sale figures, it is blatantly clear that car safety is not accorded prime importance by potential buyers in India. Renault needs to spruce up its act and offer Kwids with a 4 star safety rating to keep its occupants safe.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th May 2023 at 16:33.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 21:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Its good that the car is liked by many, many of them becoming owners. With such high sale figures, it is blatantly clear that car safety is not accorded prime importance by potential buyers in India. Renault needs to spruce up its act and offer Kwids with a 4 star safety rating to keep its occupants safe.
My points are 1) why the onus only on Renault? Its Kiger and Triber both have 4 star rating . What about MSIL which continues to sell sub-3 rated cars in large numbers , most of which are also popular in the used car market .
2) In the used car market, safety standards will anyway be given the go by with plethora of examples which could be more than 5 years old. Not to mention that it may be difficult to certify examples as accident free.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 28th May 2023 at 21:05.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 10:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely true, while doing my car hunt on few portals, Kwid is the No. 1 car available in abundance maybe that is the reason its branded as most popular used car, altough I'm not a fan of its design (everyone has their own taste). It was in my initial shortlist due to being budget friendly, however after reading that Renault has trimmed down their portfolio & shut shop on Datsun (Different brand but from the same family), was skeptical to consider it anymore.
Old 30th May 2023, 11:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. There seem to be so many low mileage Kwid and Redi-go cars available in used car market and for reasonable rates. Owners doesn't seem to be keeping them for long. 🤔

Kwid is also a very practical car for the price, lot of space on offer compared to other options in market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks