Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:26   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes..it has Made in Italy written all over it...
Can't be Made in Italy all over, it has to be Made in Brazil. If you are talking about engine components then it does have a few Italian parts that are manufactured by Magneti Marelli and many more are Made in Germany.

Quote:
Also what about the alternator..for 2001 models..it's imported..
I am not sure about this but I will try and find out.

Quote:
Now I feel was really lucky to get a 2001 Dec 1.6 GTX at a price of 1.9L. I was thinking to buy a new 1.6 sport and then at the last minute changed my mind as 1.6 GTX has ABS and airbags.
Good decision with buying a 2001 model car but just out of concern, make sure your dealer doesn't trouble you for availability of spares.

Quote:
yes that one,the one that hides the gap(blacked portion) between the 2 doors.
I mentioned that it is missing Merve!

Quote:
personally i do feel that bringing in local parts does affect quality.
Guys who make that statement should know that TATA makes engine blocks for Jaguar. Check my example of the headlights being localised. They perform better.

Quote:
Actually it is BS to say that localization affects quality.
I agree 100% with you Zappo.

Quote:
rather than localization i think cost cutting should be blamed ..
Bottle, localization is a major step in cost cutting.

Quote:
In india oem makers may be bribing quality controllers.
What makes you say that Swathyd? I am sure its not so easy to get through bribing in the private sector. I will show you a picture from the Fiat factory with the amount of rejected material they store. In some cases an entire batch of components.

Quote:
Is there any change to the exhaust manifold 1.6 sport vs GTX?
No 1100D, they are imported and come as a part of the engine packet from Argentina.

To all those who are concerned about localization v/s quality, I do not agree with you. When GM, Volkswagen, etc decided to setup plants around Pune and applied for buying land from MIDC, their vendors from the respective countries came down in hordes to buy land in order to ensure that they manufacture components for these companies. Bharat Forge has been very instrumental in getting these companies down and is manufacturing many components for these units. We have many bhp-ians from Pune who do manufacture alternator components for companies like Lucas. Some who do their decals and I can vouch for the quality standards.
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:02   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So A GTX was better built since it has more parts and better quality?
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Good observation.. Pity that both models used for comparision are currently out of production. Can u do a comparision between the GTX and the Stile?
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:28   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So A GTX was better built since it has more parts and better quality?
A GTX was better built in terms of imported components used but I guess more parts were just a part of aesthetics and looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Good observation.. Pity that both models used for comparision are currently out of production. Can u do a comparision between the GTX and the Stile?
Sure Spadival. I will try to get the two on a side by side comparo very soon. Any 1.6 Stile users in Pune willing to get his car?

P.S. I have done a parts cost comparison too and I'll post details very soon.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:11   #35
BHPian

Wow, This thread is really informative!! Thanks a lot for this information.

I somehow feel that the best quality that came out of all the palios were in the S10 editions. Especially the paint job. Even to this date, the S10 editions that I see look just lifted from the showroom. I cant say that about the fiats coming these days. Especially mine!

You are right about localization. Even 90% quality at 50% cost is acceptable to the Indian market I suppose. But I am interested in seeing the ones that are actually missed out and the the compromising effect to the car because of it. Among them is the rubber behind the door that you pointed out. Does that aid in noise reduction or does it serve any other purpose like more water resistance?

I wish we could do something similar for the Adventure. (The initial one which was available for around 8L should reveal tonnes of interesting info )
One difference I came to know through a friends experience: When FIAT changed the name of the Adventure to Adventure sport, the sport badge was made in India while the entire rear door was imported. After 3 months only the sport badge came off and the dealer gave this explanation.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:18   #36
Team-BHP Support

Kvish, sadly I experienced that S10's are always a poorly maintained lot. You have to be very careful while picking up a used S10 because there are high chances that the car has been badly maintained.

Quote:
Among them is the rubber behind the door that you pointed out. Does that aid in noise reduction or does it serve any other purpose like more water resistance?
Absence of this rubber doesn't make any difference except for hiding the panel gap. No water resistance here. At high speeds, the gap in the door makes a whistle barely audible when you have the windows rolled down.

Quote:
I wish we could do something similar for the Adventure. (The initial one which was available for around 8L should reveal tonnes of interesting info )
The Adventure is still not localised, if you see the make of the windows, rear+front windscreen it is still being imported from Brazil. The Palio's have it from Asahi whereas the Stile boot glass is again imported. Quite deceptive that!
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Bottle, localization is a major step in cost cutting.
true but they can localize and still provide quality stuff which isnt happenning in stile , my car rattles like a 20year old lada and its hardly 2 months old and bits and pieces are falling off everyday which i never dreamed would happen when i was using the old 1.2nv
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:03   #38
Team-BHP Support

Moral, is there a weight difference between the 1.6 Stile, 1.6 GTX and 1.6 sport? How about the ECU? Are they all euro3?
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:11   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Moral, is there a weight difference between the 1.6 Stile, 1.6 GTX and 1.6 sport? How about the ECU? Are they all euro3?
Vid, the weight difference between the 1.6 Stile (1060 kgs) and the GTX (1080 kgs) is 20 kgs on paper but the car feels lighter to me. I am trying to get some bhpian from Pune with a 1.6 to get the weight of the car checked at some reliable weighing scale. I will get a factual data up for you.

I have taken a picture of the ECU's in the Palio 1.6 GTX, 1.6 Sport and the 1.6 Stile and the S10. Since there was a discussion about remapped ECU's for the Sport and the Stile versions but I have confirmed from reliable sources that there is no change in the program. There is a program date and version stamped on the ECU with a sticker. The GTX 2001 carries a 2001 date whereas the later models carry either a 2001 date or a 2002 / 2003 date. If they had taken Euro 3 norms into consideration then there would have been a 2003 / 2004 / 2005 / 2006 / 2007 date. And there is no ECU reprogramming done at their R&D or production line in India. Some brag even mentioned that the 2001 GTX passed Euro 3 norms (I am not sure about this).

Some more info:

About the Stile 1.1. This engine did its duty on some version of the Punto. I am not sure which one because when you connect a Fiat examiner to the ECU, the option of car model to check is a Punto 1.1. They have designed a very restrictive ECU for this car is what I have been told and I definitely agree with guys who say that it is not a performance car.

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd July 2007 at 16:13.
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I mentioned that it is missing Merve!
so is the painted body visible between the blacked portion?
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:27   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
so is the painted body visible between the blacked portion?
Barely visible. You need to keep staring at it to find the paint. See this picture for an example: ImageShack - Hosting :: picture113nb8.jpg .

BTW, I am getting the rubber for my car, it costs around Rs. 300 for a pair
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

yeah got it.thanks for the info.Get the rubber as the visible paint doesn't look too good.
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:52   #43
BHPian

Did anyone noted that the roof starts to fade out over a period of 3-4 years. My 1.2s roof is completly faded and is a dec 2001 model..

moralfibre can you comment on the paint quality ...
Old 24th July 2007, 00:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
my car rattles like a 20year old lada and its hardly 2 months old and bits and pieces are falling off everyday
Ohhh.. what happened to your car? What exactly do you mean by bits and pieces falling off???
Old 24th July 2007, 09:34   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Did anyone noted that the roof starts to fade out over a period of 3-4 years. My 1.2s roof is completly faded and is a dec 2001 model..
It happened in one of my friends car and he had got some kind of teflon coating or something done to his car. His car used to be parked in sun all through. No covered parking in office as well as his residence. But that is the only example I know of and Fiat gave him a repainted car under warranty and he shelled out Rs. 5000/- for the job.

Most Viewed