Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc
Few things I got from Service Advisor:

Alternator Make =
GTX - Magneti Marelli
S10 - Magneti Marelli/Bosch
1.6 Sport - Bosch
1.6 Stile - Lucas-TVS

All TA** will outsource the overhauling of alternator, starter motor to appropriate maker's service center.
Sorry digging old thread.
Are critical parts like engine, radiator, alternator, gearbox etc same or different in Sport and Stile?
So if one has to service, should one go directly to the maker instead of A**.
If one has to buy in preowned market which one should choose, 1.6 sport or 1.6 stile; which would be more reliable and easy to source the parts from outside A** and service at A** as well.
Old 8th June 2012, 09:33   #122
Team-BHP Support

Re: Palio 1.6 GTX v/s Palio 1.6 Sport - Visible Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Sorry digging old thread.
Are critical parts like engine, radiator, alternator, gearbox etc same or different in Sport and Stile?
So if one has to service, should one go directly to the maker instead of A**.
If one has to buy in preowned market which one should choose, 1.6 sport or 1.6 stile; which would be more reliable and easy to source the parts from outside A** and service at A** as well.
Without doubt a 2001-2003 GTX would be my choice of purchase if I were in the market today for a Petrol hatch. Alternately an S10 would also make a great buy - Classifieds link.

The gearbox, et al is just the same. The radiator was different between the GTX and the Sport. Alternator had multiple vendors too. IIRC Magneti Marelli and Lucas were two of them.

The vendors for parts changed often and more caused issues for the brand. Imagine the dismay of a person at a spare parts counter when he has to actually bring down the faulty part for replacement so that he gets the exact part number and a reliable replacement. You could more often than not end up with an incorrect part for your car.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 17:52   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Without doubt a 2001-2003 GTX would be my choice of purchase if I were in the market today for a Petrol hatch. Alternately an S10 would also make a great buy - Classifieds link.
of course S10 or GTX would be first choice. But i do not want more than 5 or 6 year old car as it may have rusting, corrosion. Therefore, the choice between 1.6 sport or 1.6 Stile sports (launched in somewhere 2007), which one of it would be ideal. Shouldn't Stile being the latest in these line up be the choice? Fit and finish and overall quality and reliability of which is better?
To go for Palio at this stage is a gamble since it is discontinued model, maintaining it shall be a lot of pain and patience and especially when FIAT going through transition once again. It shall be worthwhile only FIAT revives this great car.
Old 29th March 2014, 14:46   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Without doubt a 2001-2003 GTX would be my choice of purchase if I were in the market today for a Petrol hatch...
Bumping up and old thread. Did any of these models come with ABS?
Old 29th March 2014, 15:41   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
AFAIK, GTX was the first car in budget segment to come with ABS and driver airbag.
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 15:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yup, the 1.6 petrol and 1.9 diesel came in SP trim which came with ABS and driver side airbag.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 16:08   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
AFAIK, GTX was the first car in budget segment to come with ABS and driver airbag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Yup, the 1.6 petrol and 1.9 diesel came in SP trim which came with ABS and driver side airbag.
Just to be clearer, ALL GTX / 1.6 (Sport as well as S10) versions came with ABS? Or was it added or removed in some versions?

I have been thinking of a low budget (1 -1.5 Lakh) used FTD car (Zen / Esteem / 800 5 speed / Palio 1.6) and wanted to check on this point. I am sure none of the rest have had ABS, so was more inclined to finding about the Palio 1.6.

Edit:: If it was ONLY on certain versions / trims, how to visually find out whether it has ABS (without popping up the hood / trying hard braking)?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th March 2014 at 16:11. Reason: Added "Edit" version
Old 29th March 2014, 16:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just to be clearer, ALL GTX / 1.6 (Sport as well as S10) versions came with ABS? Or was it added or removed in some versions?

I have been thinking of a low budget (1 -1.5 Lakh) used FTD car (Zen / Esteem / 800 5 speed / Palio 1.6) and wanted to check on this point. I am sure none of the rest have had ABS, so was more inclined to finding about the Palio 1.6.

Edit:: If it was ONLY on certain versions / trims, how to visually find out whether it has ABS (without popping up the hood / trying hard braking)?
Not all 1.6 came with airbags. Only the GTX SP and S10 SP variants came with ABS and Airbags.

The hornpad of these cars will be fatter than usual and have "Airbag" written on them. If you pop the hood, you will be able to see the ABS unit from which 4 small metal pipes will be coming out
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 19:43   #129
Senior - BHPian

I've been bitten by the S10 bug really bad. Sorry to bump this thread but was there ever any S10 variant with abs and airbag? I know that the GTX SP did come with it but have never seen an S10 with abs and driver airbag. Does this unicorn actually exist? If not, how difficult is it to swap the gearbox, exhaust and remap the ECU to make a GTX perform just like an S10 would?
Old 6th April 2014, 20:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I've been bitten by the S10 bug really bad. Sorry to bump this thread but was there ever any S10 variant with abs and airbag? I know that the GTX SP did come with it but have never seen an S10 with abs and driver airbag. Does this unicorn actually exist? If not, how difficult is it to swap the gearbox, exhaust and remap the ECU to make a GTX perform just like an S10 would?
The autocar review in some early 2002 edition did feature an S10 with different 5 spoke alloys, ABS and driver airbag, but AFAIK, I haven't personally seen any, even the brochure which I have mentions none. Have been a palio purist, but will prefer the simple looks of the GTX over the S10 anyday, and the remap/ gearbox change is not recommended. S10 just has shorter 4th and 5th gears which makes it some milliseconds quicker through the gears than the GTX.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:41   #131
BHPian

IIRC, some where I read that, FIAT excluded the ABS in S10, but driver side airbag is still there. excluding ABS in S10 is because of an input from Sachin.

GTX SP has ABS + driver side airbag
mahadev_kc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 10:54   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
IIRC, some where I read that, FIAT excluded the ABS in S10, but driver side airbag is still there. excluding ABS in S10 is because of an input from Sachin.

GTX SP has ABS + driver side airbag
I have the S10 owners manual and it mentions the presence of ABS in the SP trim.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Wait; so both the GTX as well as the S10 came in SP trim level? I knew of GTXs with abs and driver airbag but haven't heard of S10 coming with the same.
Old 7th April 2014, 12:03   #134
BHPian

Only GTX came with the elusive SP trim. S10 costed same as GTX SP but without safety features and included Sachin signatures, different alloys, standard music system, different rear spoiler, a cricket bat and limited edition number upto 999. In fact, even the GTX SP was made in very limited numbers and was more exclusive than S10.

I had one of those SP trims with airbag and abs which was a first in the Indian made cars. The horn pad was really hard compared to present cars which added to its character. GTX models also had less restrictive euro 2 engine which was a little more peppier than Sport and Stile, steel gauge was more thicker and also had different spring rate in the suspension (like Fiesta S) which made it a dream handler. Due to all these minor differences, GTX was more driver focussed where as Sport and Stile were practical due to better FE and better ride in the city.

The conclusion is, IMHO Palio GTX SP was the best version of Palio sold in this country in terms of fun to drive factor.

Last edited by v.anand : 7th April 2014 at 12:05.
v.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 15:58   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4th and 5th gear are overdrive in the Palio GTX/Sport + Petra + Adventure. The only car to not have overdrive in 4th is the S10!...
Sorry for a noob question, but would like to know what is meant by "Overdrive". Also what is the advantage / disadvantage of having both 4th & 5th gears as overdrive?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks