Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2007, 14:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Palio 1.6 GTX v/s Palio 1.6 Sport - Visible Differences

Guys I have been making a list of differences that are visible in the Palio 1.6 GTX and the Palio 1.6 Sport. Basically from reliable sources of information this is what I know till now. The first batch of Palios (2001 ONLY) that were sold in India contain the best components with a lower rate of failure as compared to the later models when they tried their hand at localizing components. Need I say the lack of expertise or poor quality control from Fiat India gave rise to problems with cars. The failure rate went high and they went into damage control mode by discontinuing the model in early 2004.
Finally when they got their act right and with support from Tata Motors managed to get good quality control lessons as well as better vendors for localizing a major chunk of parts. Last when I visited the Fiat factory in Ranjangaon I read a board which showed around 70% localised content for the Palio 1.6 as well as the Stile. All the imported components that come in the car are from Argentina a major part being the engines in the 1.1 as well as the 1.6.

Here are a few differences in the Palio 1.6 GTX and the Sport:

The tail lamp in the Sport carries a separate brake light bulb on the top most part of the tail lamp cluster (a new norm from ARAI I assume) whereas the old Palio's had the brake light as well as the tail lamp as a single unit:

Sport:

GTX:

The coolant tanks in the old lot came with a Valeo unit whereas the new cars (NV) come with a Denso cooling units. Denso is now a part of the Magneti Marelli. Note the difference in the position of the pipe:

Sport:

GTX:

The GTX came with a lot of rubber beadings and dressings which went missing in the Sport version. For example, the front struts had a cap on it which was taken off. There used be a small black rubber strip in between the front and the rear doors which went missing. There used to be a long black rubber strip under the front bumper which is missing on the sport. See the pictures:

Strut cap on the Sport:

Strut cap on the GTX:

Door rubber missing on the Sport:

Door rubber as on the GTX:

As a major cost cutting measure, the Radiators and the Condensers on the Strut are locally sourced and the difference in cost came down to 50%. The radiator on the GTX costs Rs. 11,000/- whereas the one on the Sport costs Rs. 5,500/-. This is on similar lines of SGP and MGP when you compare the way Maruti handles this change. The radiators/condensers are interchangable and the difference is only the cost!

Radiator on the Sport:

Radiator on the GTX:

There are some more cosmetic changes in the GTX. The fenders on the GTX did not come with a side indicator whereas the one on the Sport is taken off the S10 with a line on the fender and a side indicator. Sorry no pics here.

The seats on the GTX and the S10 are from Tata Johnson and the ones on the Sport are from some supplier down south. There is a difference in quality. I like the Tata Johnson seats with the rotary knob for reclining the seat.

I will keep adding to this thread as and when I find some more differences.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd July 2007 at 14:10.
moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2007, 14:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Excellent thread moral. Really goes to show what manufacturers do for cost cutting. Even Maruti is notorious for this.What's sad is that these changes affect the reliability and you can feel that the car isnt the same as the earlier models.

even for me the earlier Alto's actually feel more well built than mine.

Very well covered.
Old 22nd July 2007, 14:58   #3
BHPian

Cost cutting really does affect quality. Poor quality of rubber and plastics in fiat leads to rattling and squeakings. This is really annoying for a new car buyer, after spending money he gets after all this, you cant give a ride to anyone fearing what they will think of your new car. Even if they rise price we wont mind but these are things which we cant live with.
Old 22nd July 2007, 14:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread. Very informative.
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Let me make it clear Swathyd. I am using a car containing localised content. Although they are Indian, I would say they match the quality equally. There IS a difference in feel but not in quality.

For example, the lights in the older Palio's were made by an international company named AL who make lights for Audi etc.
Now you are well aware of the problem of fogging headlights in the older cars but the problem is limited to older model cars. My car doesn't have the imported headlights and they do not fog, thats quality!

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd July 2007 at 15:07.
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:13   #6
BHPian

ok, thats right . Because i got my headlights changed under warranty due to this. But now its ok.
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

nice write up moral, i did see a noticable gap between the front and rear doors in my stile , am wondering if thats where the rubber strip you mentioned goes.

and both stile and 1.2nv have the same denso coolant tank, missing strut rubber cover and radiator.

edit a quick question. on top of the rear tailgate there is a small plastic piece sticking out. any idea what that is for ?

hope you dont mind me using a picture from your gallery moralfibre, i have encircled in yellow the part i was talking about

Last edited by bottle : 22nd July 2007 at 15:39.
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
nice write up moral, i did see a noticable gap between the front and rear doors in my stile , am wondering if thats where the rubber strip you mentioned goes.
Yes thats correct Bottle. Apart from that the door beadings on the GTX (2001) were imported too. See the picture of the Golden GTX beading.

Quote:
and both stile and 1.2nv have the same denso coolant tank, missing rubber cover and radiator.
Possible because the NV's carried the cost cutting changes.

Quote:
edit a quick question. on top of the rear tailgate there is a small plastic piece sticking out. any idea what that is for ?
A picture would be helpful. I am not aware of what this plastic piece is?

EDIT: If I perceived right then that is the nozzle for spraying water on the rear windshield. It has two jets for spraying water.

EDIT 2: No Bottle, I do not mind you using my gallery pictures at all and that small plastic part sticking out is the nozzle indeed.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd July 2007 at 15:38.
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

oh yes you are right , didnt think of it ! thanks
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

GREAT thread moralfibre. Thanks a lot. I had been wondering about what the differences were for quite some time now. It was really helpful.

Is there simmilar differences in the S10 and and GTX too or is it just in the engine tuning and cosmetic changes
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Is there simmilar differences in the S10 and and GTX too or is it just in the engine tuning and cosmetic changes
S10 has a different gear ratios in certain gears. And there are quite a few cosmetic changes too but it is no cost cut car by any standards . Majority components are from the GTX itself.
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

good thread and observations. very informative indeed.
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Very nice comparisons Moral.

Where is the door rubber in the sport version,because the door rubber in the GTX cracks all the time due to heat.
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Merve, do you mean the rubber in between the two doors i.e at the B-Pillar?
Old 22nd July 2007, 16:56   #15
BHPian

Can adventure tweaked to have similar gear ratios of palio/petra, because of taller gear ratio maintained in 4th gear it is very difficult to ovetake. 4th gear is very much flat from 60 kmph onwards, though the 5th gear is very good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks