Team-BHP - Has Maruti Done Justice To India And Its People??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Has Maruti Done Justice To India And Its People?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2666-has-maruti-done-justice-india-its-people.html)

so its been glorious 25 and more years since maruthi came to india. its super brand m800 is still the top selling ...but its had had failure too like the baleno and m1000. so has it been a boon to indias middle class and set the pace to indias development .....has it mobilized the masses ..... does it have quality ........ would ubuy a maruthi .....!

don't think this is even debatable..

and who said the 1000 and the baleno were failures?

The M1000 wasnt exactly a failure. It was a Tourists fav car. Buy a M1000 and rebadge it as an Esteem. But it was very sluggish as compared to the Esteem.

The Baleno too wasnt a failure. It was to some extent. It live up to everybodys expectation as a premium Maruti car that wud compete with the likes of the Astra, Lancer, City etc.

but maruti didnt really advertise and capitalize what the baleno could offer.. its marketing was pretty sad.. specially at the dealer level, they were more enthusiastic about the esteem rather than the baleno ....

Apart from their diesel offerings, I don't think you can really call any Maruti product a failure. All their cars have been pretty good and served the Indian customer well. Even today, people swear by Maruti.
The 800, Omni, Gypsy, 1000, Esteem, Zen, WagonR and Baleno have given most Indians from various segments all that they need at a reasonable price.
Don't forget, it was Maruti that revolutionised the Indian automobile scene. Three cheers for the little 800. Hip Hip Hurray! Hip Hip Hurray! Hip Hip Hurray!

Yes because it revolutionized the indian car market with almost contemporary products.
No because it over priced cars like the baleno and the versa and now its giving heavy discounts on them, which is bad for loyal maruti customers who shelled out money when they were charging a premium on those cars.

baleno was never a failure it just sells less then expected and after the price drop its the best car in the current segment. but as usual their lacllustre performance in ads failed to live up to their hype!

25 years?
Anyway, except Versa, I say they've done Justice to India and Its People..
I also hate Omni that Maruti Van, it was an accident prone vehicle, but its been a success nevertheless.
M800 is a work horse. Infact a Power Horse - without Horse Power!

specially liked the first maruti 800 the one with the boot glass opened seperately

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Pferdestärke @ April 27 2004,23:07)]M800 is a work horse. Infact a Power Horse - without Horse Power!

lol sure thing

Maruti has been very slow in bringing in it's international models into India. They were not interested in launching the wagon R cuz the zen was selling well. When hyundia struck gold with Santro then they rushed in with their own tall boy. They refused to upgrade their engines or modernize them. I remember when Hyundai and Daewoo were selling Santro and Matiz with MPFI engines Maruti refused to upgrade from the carb engines because they knew it wouldn't dent their sales. The reason they gave was hilarious..they said MPFi engines wouldn't run on our fuel - how were cielo's astra's santro's and matiz's working perfectly??? and i guess everybody has forgotten the insult that maruti got from the high court?? remember the courts stopped MUL from selling their cars in the NCR region because they were not Euro I/II compliant? And what did MUL do? they launched euro I/II complaint cars in the NCR region ONLY!!! How many kicks did they want on their backsides to upgrade their technology? Today the wagon r , zen and alto are outsold by the santro. They deserve it.

I think things are different now that Suzuki have taken over. Initially, Maruti was an "efficient" government owned monopolist untill Hyundai got into their pants, this did not change until Suzuki got concerned - indirectly, their royalties were threatened.