Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 16:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Disclosure: 800 was my first car from 1995-99, and at the time, it had many virtues. But yes Lady Di would perhaps have survived in a 800. Why:

Imagine driving a 800 at 140 kmph (was that the speed of Merc in which Lady Di met her end). Result: it would have reached the crash site some time later, and the event or time would have passed. Imagine yourself whenever your car gets a dent. If only you had been 2 seconds late or early at a point, nd that car/scooter/bus that has now caused damage would not have come in your way.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:53   #47
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whenasked View Post
How does one get into a top post with a very little knowledge on Automotive safety features ?

What is he? I mean by education?
he is a civil servant with GOI ( i think IAS) before he jumped in to maruti. there was a big fight when late murasoli maran was industries minister. he wanted MR Bhaskarudu as MD, suzuki wanted Khattar as MD. minister had his way. suzuki stopped all tech transfer till the issue is resolved in their favor. when maran was not minister of industries govt diluted its stake in maruti in favor of suzuki ( suzuki got 51%) it promptly made khattar as MD. he resigned govt post moved to maruti permanently
Old 6th August 2007, 17:10   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
he resigned govt post moved to maruti permanently
And did a good job of turning around the company!
Old 6th August 2007, 17:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
i wonder what the NCAP rating of a maruti 800 or omni would be if they test these cars. what were the indian express guys thinking.
They will probably say that these cars doesn't even meet out test requirements.
Old 6th August 2007, 23:52   #50
BHPian

Instead of the Princess using the Merc to save her life, the 800 would be using the Princess to save its life in an accident.
Old 6th August 2007, 23:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Oh No! Princess Di would have not stepped into the 800 in the first place, so no accident, hence safe!
Old 27th November 2007, 11:00   #52
BHPian

Oh Dianna , why didn't you step into a maruti 800 , instead of a merc , that wud have been cheaper also , but guys , don't u think it would be a bit croudy inside ? i mean , dianna , dodi , driver , and the shadow , they couldn't have stretched their legs even
Old 27th November 2007, 20:31   #53
BHPian

Car Safety

The whole discussions brings to fore Indians disdain for safety. Most of Indians if given a choice between free airbags and free music system, I think most will opt for music system. Indians prefer not a safe car but car that has good resale value and maximum possible fuel efficiency. Keeping this fact in mind automobile manufacture started manufacturing M800 which would not be allowed in any civilised country with bare minimum safety standards and there is no need to blame Mr. Khattar for this. Improving safety means increasing the weight and subsequently decreasing the fuel efficiency. (thats how Palio failed to meet the "high" standards of Indian customers and failed against Maruti 800 & Zen)
Old 27th November 2007, 23:15   #54
BHPian

Guys,
Whatever Khattar is saying may be crap.
However, let us not loose our logic. The Maruti 800 is a typical city car and thanks to its price and technology people like me could get their first four wheelers.

Every vehicle has its own limitations. The 800 may be dangerous on Indian highways and Mercedes may not be enough on the German Auto bahn. The driver should know the limitation of what he is driving.

On the safety aspect - Indian roads have built in safety as we cannot drive over 60 on most roads including high ways. As far as the erratic trucks and government buses coming from opposite side and ramming into our car - Maruti or Mercedes will have the same result
Old 28th November 2007, 11:17   #55
BHPian

Lets hope no one has an accident. I am pretty much sure though people in a Mercedes would have a better chance than people in 800.
Old 28th November 2007, 18:17   #56
BHPian

I really hope Mr. Khattar has been misquoted, If not I would believe his statement only after he personaly gives a live demonstration.
Old 28th November 2007, 18:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Guys,
Whatever Khattar is saying may be crap.
However, let us not loose our logic. The Maruti 800 is a typical city car and thanks to its price and technology people like me could get their first four wheelers.

Every vehicle has its own limitations. The 800 may be dangerous on Indian highways and Mercedes may not be enough on the German Auto bahn. The driver should know the limitation of what he is driving.

On the safety aspect - Indian roads have built in safety as we cannot drive over 60 on most roads including high ways. As far as the erratic trucks and government buses coming from opposite side and ramming into our car - Maruti or Mercedes will have the same result
one of my friend met with an accident head to head collision with the truck. He was in Ford Ikon at 150+ kmph. Luckily he was saved, it was a miracle. all the tyres were off of the truck and ikon = total loss. May be car took the major damage. but yes, he was operated and had many fractures. but thats for sure car really saved his life as ikon is not a light car. on the other hand Mr. saheb singh verma also passed away when his safari rammed.
But in M800 or Omni even if one is driving at 60 kmph, and if a truck will hit M800 or Omni, do you think one can survive? Especially in an omni. front impact. and Gone.
5 years back, one of my dad's friend's omni hits a pole at around 40-50 kmph in delhi itself. He was injured so badly i can't tell you. What if a merc hits a pole at 40-50? Only bumper and grill will get damage.

Yes, i agree with you that for a middle class family its not possible to buy mercs. but you are talking of years back. My myself sometimes love to drive my M800 but once a month. But we are talking of present. we have better options, one can't stick to the options available years back. One should walk ahead but not stick to one. We have better options available right now.

Last edited by Hyundai.Lover : 28th November 2007 at 18:20.
Old 28th November 2007, 18:29   #58
BHPian

quoted from the movie Red Line " its not the car its the driver"

with the same sane driver the Merc would be a lot safer
Old 28th November 2007, 19:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

to play devil's advocate here - I think Khattar was joking, which he is prone to do. The reporter probably didn't catch it and wrote it as fact.
Old 28th November 2007, 21:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyundai.Lover View Post
one of my friend met with an accident head to head collision with the truck. He was in Ford Ikon at 150+ kmph. Luckily he was saved, it was a miracle. all the tyres were off of the truck and ikon = total loss. May be car took the major damage. but yes, he was operated and had many fractures. but thats for sure car really saved his life as ikon is not a light car. on the other hand Mr. saheb singh verma also passed away when his safari rammed.
But in M800 or Omni even if one is driving at 60 kmph, and if a truck will hit M800 or Omni, do you think one can survive? Especially in an omni. front impact. and Gone.
5 years back, one of my dad's friend's omni hits a pole at around 40-50 kmph in delhi itself. He was injured so badly i can't tell you. What if a merc hits a pole at 40-50? Only bumper and grill will get damage.

Yes, i agree with you that for a middle class family its not possible to buy mercs. but you are talking of years back. My myself sometimes love to drive my M800 but once a month. But we are talking of present. we have better options, one can't stick to the options available years back. One should walk ahead but not stick to one. We have better options available right now.
Hyundai Lover. Agree with you that we must move on. However, the family members of MD of TVS passed away even though they were in a Mercedes. As you have stated the ford Ikon case looks to be a miracle and nothing can be concluded on that. But you should also consider the price bracket in which Maruti is. Although, they can make better safety for the same price considering that the plan has depreciated and they have recovered their money. As, I stated earlier, Maruti 800 and worst even omni is not designed for highways. Even the 9 lacs + bracket of Safari does not much safety built in. So, I guess Maruti is justified atleast for the price and purpose for which it is built. What about Accents, Honda Cities, Balenos, Sumos etc ( without Airbags version) costing so high ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks